HHN XX Discussion

I just saw the commercial on ABC. The commercial is like the ellen promo but it's extended. I actually like it better; the part where the security officer is scanning the props, you see a head/mask of a body collector. :D :D yaaaaay lol

I'm not displeased the least; the taking out of the Ellen part actually improved the commecial alot lol who would have thunk?

and btw, in regards to hhncarrie, as much as alot of us loved the RHPS that HHN put on, I do believe it was time to retire it. For the time being, at least. If and when it comes back in a couiple years, I feel it'll be better than ever :] and yeah....I dont like Brian either -__- lol

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, disappointing commercial. Wasn't scary or chilling or creepy in the slightest. The appearance of HHN props was cool, but there was absolutely no sense of dread through the whole thing.

I agree, it was not scary; let's be honest, neither was last years. But at least it is interesting, and they used past props, and we saw the lantern. If they had made the entire scenes darker, than it could have been slightly scary. The lighting was too, obvious, and not"raw". I also disliked the commentator talking during the ENTIRE commercial... If it was text breaking through scenes rather than someone talking over it, it could have worked better. Do not get me wrong, it is not a bad commercial, but it was not scary.

I agree, it was not scary; let's be honest, neither was last years. But at least it is interesting, and they used past props, and we saw the lantern. If they had made the entire scenes darker, than it could have been slightly scary. The lighting was too, obvious, and not"raw". I also disliked the commentator talking during the ENTIRE commercial... If it was text breaking through scenes rather than someone talking over it, it could have worked better. Do not get me wrong, it is not a bad commercial, but it was not scary.

Agreed completely. The narrator killed it - I don't want to hear that guy until after the "kill". Good point on the lighting. Seeing the lantern was neat, but it looked like a cartoon, not like a physical prop. The commercial should've been much darker and quieter - a bit of eerie music - the lantern flickering quietly... guard approaches it, is upon it, stares at it, puzzled, and then hears movement, turns around, and sees FEAR rushing at him. Cue narrator talking about Twenty Years of Fear. (The whole commercial also seemed to move really fast - very quick shots - why no slow, methodical shots like in 2003 or 8?)

My question is all this build-up to the "release of the commercial" with these big Whig Hollywood directors and its worse than the past few years commercials?? i felt like it was shorter too, im gonna say with the mediocre site and commercial i hope this event at the park will be off the wall!!

My question is all this build-up to the "release of the commercial" with these big Whig Hollywood directors and its worse than the past few years commercials?? i felt like it was shorter too, im gonna say with the mediocre site and commercial i hope this event at the park will be off the wall!!

Just saw the HHN commercial too. I would really have to say that the ones in the past were a little better. I mean it wasn't all bad the only thing they should have done better was the narration. They should have used the one who narrated the Art of the Scare DVD. Or someone a little creepier...

Just saw the HHN commercial too. I would really have to say that the ones in the past were a little better. I mean it wasn't all bad the only thing they should have done better was the narration. They should have used the one who narrated the Art of the Scare DVD. Or someone a little creepier...

or the guy that narrarated for the 07 radio ad

Yeah, it felt a bit weak but it gets the point across. Till this day, my favorite HHN Commercial was Sweet16.

In reality, the commercial not being creepy enough wont really matter because what really counts will be on the 24th of this month ;)

I'm in the camp with those that don't really care too much about the commercial. It won't have any effect on your enjoyment of the event. In fact, they may have spent more money on the event and less on marketing which is a-ok with me.

That is exactly what I am hoping for. The commercial does not make the event any less exciting, but I do hope that the event is a better representation than the commercial. And thanks for the conquerment Fallow! Now, since they are advertising HHN, when do you think the UPC codes for Coca-Cola will be out? I am not sure how else I can get Florida discount besides BK, and I want to get my tickets ASAP

yeah the marketing for this year seems a little light, but with the way things are looking, it seems there is going to be a lot more going on in the park,

the commercial is ok, is not terrible, like the site is just to the point, I really have No complains of the commercial or the website, it looks great to me....

I'm in the camp with those that don't really care too much about the commercial. It won't have any effect on your enjoyment of the event. In fact, they may have spent more money on the event and less on marketing which is a-ok with me.

BruinsFan-

That is a great way to look at it, for sure. I am hoping it is just gonna get better because, I agree, marketing is not that great this year. They must still be on their Harry Potter high. I'm sure it'll be very crowded no matter what.

I have high hopes for this year, I want to litterally pee my pants from fear...I really hope it delivers (I'm sure it will).

As for the commercial: Too short, too many quick shots.It's still a pretty cool one with plenty to look at in the background, but I hope they release one that is more than a minute.

Edited by cwoolboy

The problem with the commercial is that it's a commercial. It's not meant to last very long, hence the quick shots, and the voice. They could obviously make a short film and it could kickass, but that's not a commercial, that's a short film.

I agree that this commercial isn't very good. In my opinion it is worst yet. The commercials don't have to be long to be good. Whatever happen to these awesome creepy commercials:

I can see why the commercial wasn't like the past years where the icon(s) is/are loud and in your face (HHN 18, 17, 16 and 15) but they could have taken a similar approach to the director/caretaker commercials which used the black and white and creepy tones to set the atmosphere. They could have used this approach to have the audience hear FEAR but not show much of him (until the event). IMOH, this year's commercial is epic fail!

Either way the event is looking to be great! It reminds me of HHN14, all original content, but not quite like Terra Cruentas which was a world of its own. I am glad they have returned to creating rather than just reusing old properties.

PND, I agree completely. We should've heard FEAR talking instead of the mood-killing narrator. We also should've seen much more of a creepy build-up approach to the Lantern, followed by FEAR's assault. I think the way they did this will leave audience's confused as to what exactly FEAR is and what they're supposed to be afraid of - the lantern? That weird mouth thing they keep seeing? etc.

I also agree with BSquare - I keep hearing "just wait, the event's gonna be stellar, the commercial isn't a big deal, etc." - I don't know about you, but I got into HHN in 2008 because of the massive buildup to Bloody Mary. I had never seen a backstory for a special event that was so intensive and creative - it drew me in. The preview website was incredible. The final reveal site was incredible. The commercial was incredible. The event itself was, of course, incredible.

The event this year, according to everyone telling the naysayers to shut it, is going to be mind-blowing. Well, I'd like to think they're correct, and the far-better looking scarezones give me hope - but I get the feeling that the event will be "incredible" like the previous years. Not that that's a bad thing, but before we had an incredible build-up and an incredible payoff.

PND, I agree completely. We should've heard FEAR talking instead of the mood-killing narrator. We also should've seen much more of a creepy build-up approach to the Lantern, followed by FEAR's assault. I think the way they did this will leave audience's confused as to what exactly FEAR is and what they're supposed to be afraid of - the lantern? That weird mouth thing they keep seeing? etc.

I also agree with BSquare - I keep hearing "just wait, the event's gonna be stellar, the commercial isn't a big deal, etc." - I don't know about you, but I got into HHN in 2008 because of the massive buildup to Bloody Mary. I had never seen a backstory for a special event that was so intensive and creative - it drew me in. The preview website was incredible. The final reveal site was incredible. The commercial was incredible. The event itself was, of course, incredible.

The event this year, according to everyone telling the naysayers to shut it, is going to be mind-blowing. Well, I'd like to think they're correct, and the far-better looking scarezones give me hope - but I get the feeling that the event will be "incredible" like the previous years. Not that that's a bad thing, but before we had an incredible build-up and an incredible payoff.

well yeah but 2008, it had a great built up, great story and great site, only to have a really bad house, I loved 2008, dont get me wrong, and some of my favorite houses and scarezones

are from 08,

Hey there fellow HHN nuts,

Every year I do both pre-event and post event blogs and here is this year’s Pre Event edition for HHN XX : 20 Years of Fear. So this being my 13th year going to the event, it is rather fortuitous that it is the historic 20th year of HHN. Early on, before any information was released about this year, my hopes for content were that we would see all new, original content. A drive toward the future, not an homage to the past. We already got that for HHN 16 : Horror Comes Home. Of course, HHN does wildly well with brand recognition and movie tie in and licensed properties so I had to prepare myself for the inevitable return of our prior icons and probably a movie house thrown in there too.

So you can image a few weeks back when all of the houses and scare zones were revealed that I was more than happy to get my wish regarding original content. Sure we are seeing a house and at least one scare zone that is an homage to the past and get a new version of a classic, but overall I’m very pleased at the direction of the content this year. What I aim to do here is outline my current thoughts as of September 5th, a mere 17 days away from opening night. This is not in any particular order, so without further ado, here we go;

Haunted Mazes

Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate- At first I really wasn’t that happy to hear that they were doing an LT house, but the fact that it is based on the idea of an actual haunted house and that it is a paranormal investigation type theme, it started to get my interest. I’m not that big into the whole LT stuff really as I find it a bit to keep up with and a bit of a distraction from the overall event. I understand many locals totally get into it and that is great. For a visitor from out of state, it can be a bit much trying to enjoy the event and get into the mystery game, at least it was in 2008. Anyway, I hope this house is not that heavy on the LT part, so the non LT follower can still enjoy it. I’m sure I’ll get most of the back story or hear enough from friends, but I’m hoping I can go in and enjoy a classic haunted house scenario with a Ghost Hunters like edge to it. I hear of all kinds of new special effects that are in this house. Being a 13 year HHN vet, this makes me very happy to hear the advancement of new effects and not a dependency of tried and true ones. I’m not sure what else to expect here with this house, but I’m excited at the possibilities.

Psychoscarapy: Echos of Shadybrook

This is another one that at first I was like, what? another Psychoscarapy? Then I started thinking about it and came to the conclusion that I’ve never seen a bad version of Psychoscarapy. So I welcome another as a going away present so to speak of the past 19 years of HHN. The whole logo with a ghostly patient fading away gets my attention and my assumption that this version will be different. I’m expecting a creepy, desolate version of Shadybrook with peeling wallpaper and paint, cobwebs and decay. Could be really eerie and a great atmosphere for the “creepy” house of the year. Throw in ghosts and some other surprises and this could be special. Not really sure what to think here except, I’m ready for anything.

The Catacombs: Black Death Rising

This one has me worried a bit. A house themed to 1500’s France and the plague, with victims trapped in caves, hmmm, not very interesting in my book. Hey maybe it will have some nice sets ala Blood Ruins from HHN15, but I am not expecting it. Seeing it is not in a soundstage and that it is in a tent, I’m not expecting much. Could very well be the “throw in” house this year that gets the bad reviews and for good reason. I hope we get 8 great houses this year, but there usually is a stinker in the bunch and this has my early vote. Hope it’s good.

Hades: The Gates of Ruin

In the early winter months I posted on the boards that I would like to see a house this year based on Dante’s Inferno, the video game or at least based on the premise of going thru the 9 Circles of Hell. Well, I guess this is as close to that premise I will get. I’m definitely down with the whole Greek mythology theme as it has always interested me and I love the ambitious nature that Uni creative has shown here. I have my concerns of how they are going to pull off such beasts as Medusa, cyclops and other mystical monsters, but I’m more than looking forward to their attempts. I expect excellent set and art direction as it is a soundstage house. Just hope they can achieve some spacious areas to suggest the inside of temples and such. I wonder if some of those special effects we have been hearing about will be used here. Maybe the open flame effect? I’m being told no, but who knows. This one could be really good or really bad. I have faith in Universal that we will be in for a different albeit intense journey to Hades.

The Orfanage

So Sindy finally gets her own house. Her place in the limelight. Good to see after all this time. I’ve been a fan of how Uni has incorporated a once scraped character and utilized her as the daughter of an icon. She was a side story in HHN 16’s Scream House Resurrection and last year, we finally got to see her come out and play, at least for a few nights anyway. The Orfanage promises to be eerie journey into the past of Sindy. A burnt out school for creepy kids certainly gives me goose bumps and gives me a reason to be hesitant to enter. I’m hoping for some good aggressive scares and effects. I’m just hoping that the curse of the Jaws queue doesn’t hurt this one. Many liked the Saw house last year and I felt it was solid other than the timing of the traps. I personally think this one has a lot of potential, no matter where it’s located. I just hope that Uni gave it the attention it deserves.

Havoc: Dogs of War

This one is certainly the dark horse house this year and actually one of if not the most anticipated for me. That may surprise many of you, but the thought of a military house with lots of threatening scenes of super soldiers and failed versions of them sounds pretty cool. I’m hearing that we might see actual weapons and stuff in hear makes me excited. Many call The Thing from HHN 17 a military house. I beg to differ. That was an alien house in a military compound. Havoc should turn an already aggressive theme into an over the top house. I’m hoping for big things in this one. The fact that this is a tent house makes me a little worried, but I was happy with the sets from The Thing and that is more of what I expect size and content wise. The whole shaved head thing and the cast I know is in this house make me feel that we will be seeing some good acting and a cast that is dedicated to the scare. Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War!

Horror Nights: The Hallow'd Past

So here we have our homage house for HHN XX. I’m cool with it and hope to see this as a journey down memory lane with all the horrors that we have all witnessed over the past 19 years of the best Halloween event in the country. The theme being a storage building or museum setting makes perfect sense. I’m hearing this could be the biggest house in HHN history. The parade building has been home to some killer houses like Scary Tales 3 and Silver Screams so I expect this one to live up to that level of haunt. Take the floats out of that building and you get an additional 3rd more space for a haunt. Not too sure what to expect in terms of scenes, but I just hope that it isn’t too much all thrown in a blender that the end result in a mess. Make the most of the scenes and create tension and atmosphere. Also everyone, enjoy seeing your favorites of the past in this house as Creative have said that it may be the last you see of them. At least for a while ;-)

Zombiegeddon

Oh how I love zombies! I just hope this take of zombies won’t be like HHN 04’s Deadtropolis. That was a mess! What I have seen and heard about is that this house has an industrial-like setting and we have been told that this one is inspired by “The Zombie Survival Guide” and “World War Z” and that type of media. I’m all for that as I love the serious, yet tongue and cheek take that these mediums have used for the zombie apocalypse. The fact that this one is in the Disaster queue makes me a little worried as I find this location a little bit in the middle of the pack each year. I also hope that this one is not themed like the Zombie Gras scare zone. Keep that stuff out of it! Actual zombie-like acting is crucial too. Deadtropolis (the house) and even the scare Zone from HHN16 suffered from this fault I felt. I want to see the slow, shambling type of zombies like Night of the Living Dead, the original Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead. You know Romero zombies! I get the feeling that with Mike Aiello in a more active role this year, we will get this type of realism and dedication to the zombie genre. Lets hope we finally get a true kick ass zombie house.

Scare Zones

The Coven

I really get a good vibe from this one. The whole Cult of the Raven theme with Witches and Sirens has me drooling with anticipation for atmosphere and cool sets, awesome acting, cool costumes and lighting. The obelisk idea rings of tall sets of stone structures. The Siren idea tells me it blends in with the Hades house in some ways too. I’m eager to see this zone in full glory. Could really be a spectacle. I have really liked some of the zones in this area in the past with the likes of Blood Masquerade from 06 and American Gothic from 08 and War of the Living Dead from last year. It’s a small area, but it seems to do really well in it’s tight confines. I also know this one features some great acting talent too. The Coven is certainly up toward the top this year for me.

Zombie Gras

I’m a bit miffed about this one as it certainly has a “comedy” tone to it with the whole party themed Mardi Gras thing. Should be interesting to see the San Fran streets with floats and stuff, but it could be a total cluster F**k of a zone. Again, just hope for some actual zombie like acting here. Maybe a few plants as victims too. Not sure what to think of this one really, but I’m not expecting much.

Saws and Steam

Ah how I love the New York area of Universal Studios for a scare zone! Of course we are going to have chainsaws at HHN and this area has not seen chainsaws since the old days of HHN, so it is very welcomed. I know the theme is something about water being a valued resource and that all guests are in danger to the chainsaw wielding maniacs as they want the very water in your bodies. Kind of a weird premise, but I know that the theme is crossed with the notion of steampunk design. The props are looking nice here that I have seen and I know there are an abundance of super sized, intimidating, aggressive actors in this zone. Should be the zone for video cameras this year. I’m looking forward to this one. Oh and Sting Alley is being used! YESSS!!!!

Esqueleto Muerte

I’m not getting a great feeling for this one. I know that it is themed to the Mexican Day of the Dead and I’m into that idea, but the props and style I see thus far and the notion of an all black lit zone, just screams PARTY ZONE to me. Not too interested in that if that is so. It all could look pretty cool, but I don’t expect it to be scary or something I would want to spend a lot of time in. The area that it is in also give me a reason to worry. I don’t like the confines and the very straight forward nature of it for a scare zone. Containment from last year and The Path of the Wicked from 08 suffered here too. Not expecting much really.

Fear Revealed

I really have no clue what we will get with this one. I know that it is in the Mel’s area so it is wide open and could be really anything. Just from the name I expect it to be either a show type thing like 06’s The Arrival or 07’s Carnaival of Carnage show, but this is not confirmed. I expect it to one way or another feature our Icon for this year; Fear Himself. Anybody help me out here?

HHN: 20 Years of Fear

So here we get our HHN XX homage to the past scare zone. From what I see so far, there are numerous props from the past and pieces of the Lantern all around the Hollywood area. Lots of lighting rigs like 08’s Asylum in Wonderland are set up to. I expect lots of good lighting then and a mixture of characters from the past. Sounds like a lot of characters from Horror Nights: The Hallow'd Past will be present here to. Could be a lot of fun with the inevitable chainsaw thrown in too. Of course this zone could suffer from the fact it is bound to be a photo op for guests. Lots hope Uni cracks down on it. I doubt it though.

In general, let’s hope we don’t see a return of the no scaring on the side walk rule from last year. That just sucked.

Overall, I’m very excited for HHN XX as an event. I’m just hoping that Universal has put a lot into the event and they give us a superb Haunt to remember for the big 20th year. I realize that they have had their hands full with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but they seemed to have left a lot out of the HHN website this year. I just hope it’s not a sign of things to come for this year’s event. I have faith in the Creative team and know we will get a great event every year. I just want them to make this historic year extra special and scary. It’s not that much longer and we all get to meet this Fear guy we have been hearing about. I’m really excited to a great HHN XX. Bring it on!

Cheers!!!

F.U.B.A.R.