HHN XX Discussion

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Odd Fellow. He was the owner of the circus Jack used to work at. When Jack realized he was close to being cauptured he went to Odd Fellow for help, but Odd Fellow was wanted by the law as well so he murdered Jack and hid his body in a trunk to protect his "good" name.

Wasn't his body put in the House of Horrors with Jack's victims? Doesn't really matter though, just a tiny detail.

The LT chat on facebook appears to have given us some insight into the story behind The Wyandot Estate. I posted this in the LT thread but felt is was worth posting here as well since it relates to house discussion.

Q. Are you worried about past or ex-collective members forming/continuing to operate under the title of Legendary Truth?

A. Yes. This is a very serious concern. We are moving to have any rogue operators cease and desist the use of our registered trademarks. However, the legal process takes time.

This gives us some very interesting insight into the story line for the Wyandot Estate. I have included the exact question below:

Are you worried about past or ex-collective members forming/continuing to operate under the title of Legendary Truth with stolen equipment and conducting experiments at various haunted locals like, oh I don't know, The Wyandot Estate.

So it looks like there is more than just one Legendary Truth.

I'd like to go back to the comedic house speculation for a moment. It does indeed sound like Patrick Braillard was referencing Psychoscarepy when he stated, "but it's not the one you're thinking of." He followed that statement with, "If you think traditionally along the lines of all the houses that we've done, especially the sequel houses (I'll give you that hint), traditionally those sequel houses, depending on what they are, you see a different flair every single year, we're changing that up this year." Mike Aiello also mentioned Shaun of the Dead when describing comedic Horror.

So, I do think ZombieGeddon will be the house with a comedic tone this year.

I'd like to go back to the comedic house speculation for a moment. It does indeed sound like Patrick Braillard was referencing Psychoscarepy when he stated, "but it's not the one you're thinking of." He followed that statement with, "If you think traditionally along the lines of all the houses that we've done, especially the sequel houses (I'll give you that hint), traditionally those sequel houses, depending on what they are, you see a different flair every single year, we're changing that up this year." Mike Aiello also mentioned Shaun of the Dead when describing comedic Horror.

So, I do think ZombieGeddon will be the house with a comedic tone this year.

Zombiegeddon is indeed our comedy house this year. You can get a sense of the tone from the description on the website and the name ZAP is a play on an element in the house as well.

If you have an AP do you need to RSVP to get into Opening Night?

I remember having to do something like that last year. There was a spot were everyone had to show there annual passes and then they would give you a bracelet. If I remember correctly the tables where they were doing this were in the spot where they set up all the pumpkins every year for HHN. I haven't had to do that every year but I did last year...

To clarify my previous hinting and coded messages:

I had heard a rumor, no substantiated information whatsoever, merely a rumor that Dr. Oddfellow would somehow be involved with the Zombiegeddon house. This was a very vague rumor, and I do not know if it was meant that the good doctor would actually appear in the house or only somehow be referenced in it.

Also, at the same time there was a lot of speculation and I now believe deliberate misinformation about this house being spread.

For the benefit of those who do not know, Dr. Oddfellow is a character mentioned many times in the various backstories about Jack the Clown.

Originally, Jack had been a ordinary man working for Dr. Oddfellow's circus as a clown, albeit a demented serial child murderer, in the 1920s. As suspicion for the crimes fell on him, Jack went to his boss for protection. Oddfellow (not his real name, which has never been revealed) had a very shady past himself, and became outraged that the clown would involve his circus with the police. He thus killed Jack and stuffed his body into a large box. He then hid the evidence in plain sight by exhibiting this human jack-in-the-box and his 13 victims in his side show where the public and police would assume they were fakes. Oddfellow then eventually retired and sold his side show, and eventually Universal bought the box to use at Halloween Horror Nights in the year 2000. Of course some damn fool opened the box and released the now undead Jack who has continued to haunt HHN for 10 years.

This story was retconned in 2007 when it was stated that Oddfellow never actually retired but continued his traveling show now called Oddfellow's Dark Carnival and Emporium. Jack returned to the carnival and exacted his bloody revenge on Dr. Oddfellow taking his red ringmaster's jacket and top hat for his own. He also acquired an occult artifact of the late Doctor's, a silver tipped Cane of Souls - which he used to obtain acts for his Carnival of Carnage.

So in fact Dr. Oddfellow is now quite dead. This of course may not preclude him from rising from the grave, nor preclude others from using his name or the remnants of his carnival in setting up a Zombie Awareness Program. The fact that Zombiegeddon will include some carnival related scenes and props suggests this is a real possibility. Also it was reported a while back that a scareactor in this house would be a clown. My guess is that this will be a zombie clown, quite similar to the one seen in a climactic scene in the motion picture Zombieland, which has had at least some influence on the Zombiegeddon house.

Thus if Patrick did in fact mean that a character "never before seen" would appear in the Catacombs, I do not really think it would be Dr. Oddfellow who IF he appears at all, would most likely do so in Zomigeddon. Rather he must of meant somebody else entirely. It is also possible that Patrick did not realize that Quasimodo had made an appearance at Fright Nights in 1991. Although the Hunchback in Victor Hugo's account perished 100 years before the time of the plague victims in the Catacombs, he did say that Quasimodo had escaped with the corpse of his beloved Esmerelda into the catacombs where their mortal remains were uncovered in the 19th Century. Perhaps in the house's scenario Quasimodo was still alive in the catacombs when the French began to inter the Plague Victims there? Perhaps then somehow his vengeful revenant will arise with them? All of this of course is speculation based on whether or not Patrick knew about the Hunchback's previous involvement at Fright Nights.

Thus if Patrick did in fact mean that a character "never before seen" would appear in the Catacombs, I do not really think it would be Dr. Oddfellow who IF he appears at all, would most likely do so in Zomigeddon. Rather he must of meant somebody else entirely. It is also possible that Patrick did not realize that Quasimodo had made an appearance at Fright Nights in 1991. Although the Hunchback in Victor Hugo's account perished 100 years before the time of the plague victims in the Catacombs, he did say that Quasimodo had escaped with the corpse of his beloved Esmerelda into the catacombs where their mortal remains were uncovered in the 19th Century. Perhaps in the house's scenario Quasimodo was still alive in the catacombs when the French began to inter the Plague Victims there? Perhaps then somehow his vengeful revenant will arise with them? All of this of course is speculation based on whether or not Patrick knew about the Hunchback's previous involvement at Fright Nights.

I learned something new, regarding the Cane of Souls :lol:.

I think Quasi, very possibly, could be in the Catacombs. I also wouldn't be surprised if the character is simply a hunchbacked townsperson, not a bell-ringer, but is being considered Quasimodo because he is a hunchback in France. There is the issue that Quasimodo isn't exactly a character I remember hearing about throughout HHN's history. He's not a canonical character. He's not, traditionally, associated with the Universal Monsters. I'm really curious to see what the Catacombs will be like, and what sort of scenes there are. There are ton of possibilities, but at the same time it seems to do much more than hallways made of bone with hacking SA around every corner.

I learned something new, regarding the Cane of Souls :lol:.

I think Quasi, very possibly, could be in the Catacombs. I also wouldn't be surprised if the character is simply a hunchbacked townsperson, not a bell-ringer, but is being considered Quasimodo because he is a hunchback in France. There is the issue that Quasimodo isn't exactly a character I remember hearing about throughout HHN's history. He's not a canonical character. He's not, traditionally, associated with the Universal Monsters. I'm really curious to see what the Catacombs will be like, and what sort of scenes there are. There are ton of possibilities, but at the same time it seems to do much more than hallways made of bone with hacking SA around every corner.

Yeah, because the novel was in public domain it got adapted by many film studios over the years. Universal's silent version with Lon Chaney remains the best, but later versions from MGM and others have obscured his position as one of the Universal Classic Monsters.

Which has always been a shame seeing as the Hunchback was kind of the Original Universal Classic Monster. But I suppose having a Disney Animated Musical adaptation hasn't helped either.

So do we know which is the biggest house this year? Many have said that since some of the Mardi Gras Parade floats will be used in Zombie Gras that there is extra room in which the Horror Nights the Hallow'd Past house can use. I personally hope it's a HUGE house, after all, the past 19 years of HHN deserves to be featured in a big way.

So do we know which is the biggest house this year? Many have said that since some of the Mardi Gras Parade floats will be used in Zombie Gras that there is extra room in which the Horror Nights the Hallow'd Past house can use. I personally hope it's a HUGE house, after all, the past 19 years of HHN deserves to be featured in a big way.

I do think the huge house will be The Hallow'd Past for sure. Silver Screams and Scary Tales used only about 2/3 of the Parade Building, so if all (or most all of them are taken out), I'm sure we'll be being more than one extra room.

Heres the plan for Silver Screams. (Sorry I took the picture zooming in on the actual maze, not the building, so just guestimate the size of the building.

DSC00528.jpg?t=1283474889

Geez. Way to go getting me all excited seeing a floorplan, only to realize it was from last year. :P

I'm hoping that this year they have some sort of twist at the end of the event like in 2005.

It might be unlikely, but it has been said that this year HHN is moving forward and continuing to create new stories and characters. What if Fear traps the past icons in the lantern and/or kills them? Something like that would be a surprise to a lot of people and it would be a great twist. It would also be a way of saying that HHN is moving on and going to be creating new icons instead of going back to old ideas (although I can't see them getting rid of Jack, as much as I want them to)

EDIT: I never read the Speculation thread, so if anyone ever mentioned this in there, I didn't see it.

Edited by Jumboshrmp

Little fun fact I thought you'd all like to know but I realized recently that Havoc: Dogs of War comes from a Shakspeare quote that says "Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war". Just a little fun fact. Don't know if anyone has said this though.

Yep! A little while back a poster on here (not sure of who it was) posted clues to each house. This line was the clue for that house.

Also, this is just speculation and all.. but the stage set up across from Mel's.. its obviously being used for RTU. But it couldn't be changed after RTU is over, and be for a stage show.. ya know.. "Fear Revealed". Are we sure it's a scarezone? After all, in 2006 isn't this where The Arrival show was? And Hollywood Blvd held Horror Comes Home that year, much like this year's "20 Years of Fear" zone. So, don't shoot me.. Im just speculating, but we I know when I saw "Fear Revealed" on the website, I immediately thought that it was a show, of course, until I came over here and saw that you guys were saying that it was a scarezone. I just don't feel like a sz would be the best to "reveal" fear. We have been wanting another Arrival type show, and afterall, A&D does read this site. Maybe our wish has come true? Maybe im just being dumb, and over-speculating. Oh well.

Casey

Edited by TeenageHorror