HHN XX Discussion

Yes, if they build it, they (the crowds) will come. Selfishly, I wouldn't be sorry to see a slightly lesser turnout this year. :)

I totally agree Bruinsfan. I'd love to see less crowds, but you know corporate for Uni would be all over Creative and then we would probably have lots more sequels and unoriginal ideas. That is something I love about this year.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see where the direction on the commercial is actually pretty good. It's film trailer quality. I would not be surprised to see an extended :60 second cut without a voice over. If you look at the direction it's actually well done.

I think we should all take a step back and calm down :) They are not marketing to us. We will be there without a commercial. We will be there without a website. Maybe we will be pissed off. Sure. But we will be there to experience it unless everything is horrible or there is no storyline.

When I met with Universal (Hollywood and Orlando) in regard to possibly handling a new direction of marketing for them (not just HHN but company wide) I was pretty surprised at who the consumer decision makers are, who they market to and what their main demographic is. And, in that sense, this is exactly what they needed to do.

Remember, there are only a handful of us. What maybe 30-50 that post weekly? A couple hundred that read this each week? We are clearly not their main concern from a money standpoint. They have our money. So their priority is on pulling in the next phase of people.

Edited by homelessjogger

In general, let’s hope we don’t see a return of the no scaring on the side walk rule from last year. That just sucked.

Overall, I’m very excited for HHN XX as an event. I’m just hoping that Universal has put a lot into the event and they give us a superb Haunt to remember for the big 20th year. I realize that they have had their hands full with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but they seemed to have left a lot out of the HHN website this year. I just hope it’s not a sign of things to come for this year’s event. I have faith in the Creative team and know we will get a great event every year. I just want them to make this historic year extra special and scary. It’s not that much longer and we all get to meet this Fear guy we have been hearing about. I’m really excited to a great HHN XX. Bring it on!

Cheers!!!

F.U.B.A.R.

Due to safety concerns, we aren't allowed to scare on the sidewalks

Edited by giant4203

Worst commercial ever?

hmm...

What about this oldie goldie? (I remember this on T.V.)

Or this one?

Oh and we can't forget this abysmal commercial

I see nothing wrong with it at all. I think it is well produced. short, sweet, and leaves you wanting more.

Wow LMAO that was so funny! thanks for sharing that was just great!

yeah i dont really see what the complaining is about

Agreed. But to say this years is the worst ever just seems like a HUGE exaggeration. there was also the photobooth one from HHN X which was fun but not really scary. I guess I just don't understand what everyone is expecting? They want Fear to stay in the shadows for now (as the directors stated) so they showed enough to peak intrest but not give it away... Honestly I think they showed TOO much of fear thus far. I can pretty much piece together his face from the different shots I've seen.

@ Terror INC. I originally had it on there... I must of deleted it in a subsequent edit :)

I will admit that we have had some pretty abysmal commercials in the past, but i didnt think this one was half bad. I mean yea they had cheesy lines but for the time it was made in (01 or so?) i didnt think it was too bad, we've had some pretty big budgetary increases since then correct??

Yea this is true. There were budget increases as well as technological advancements! Obviously the game has changed a lot since those years and the commercials have not been cheap, cheesy and campy like they were in past. So I will retract my statement and say this year's commercial is the worst post HHNX (because I still think the 2000 and 2001 commercials are better than this one, even though they aren't scary they certainly are a whole lot more entertaining). You also have to consider the impact that these commercials had at the time they were released. 2000 was the first year we were introduced to jack and it really got me excited for HHN. I should also mention the 01 commercial was also edited because of the toned down year so who knows what could have been. This year can be confusing for those who don't know the background of the lantern and where FEAR came from. Like it was mentioned before, the fear revealed video could have made for a far better commercial (albeit shortened up). I am not knocking the directing or style of the commercial but more the content that is shown.

From AP services:

Good afternoon Jeramy,

Thank you for contacting the Universal Online Ticket Store. Our Annual Pass Holder newsletters are going out today! They will have the information regarding our Pass Holder event for our Halloween Horror Nights event!

So I guess there will be a pre-party. Not sure why they couldn't just tell me but good to know.

Edited by JWFearman

Yea this is true. There were budget increases as well as technological advancements! Obviously the game has changed a lot since those years and the commercials have not been cheap, cheesy and campy like they were in past. So I will retract my statement and say this year's commercial is the worst post HHNX (because I still think the 2000 and 2001 commercials are better than this one, even though they aren't scary they certainly are a whole lot more entertaining). You also have to consider the impact that these commercials had at the time they were released. 2000 was the first year we were introduced to jack and it really got me excited for HHN. I should also mention the 01 commercial was also edited because of the toned down year so who knows what could have been. This year can be confusing for those who don't know the background of the lantern and where FEAR came from. Like it was mentioned before, the fear revealed video could have made for a far better commercial (albeit shortened up). I am not knocking the directing or style of the commercial but more the content that is shown.

Well, I was thinking, I keep hearing comments that a new trailer might or could appear that is better and awesome, but the way I see it, The clip on the website is Already the commercial for this year

and the normal commercial is the one for the masses, I kinda doubt that, less than to weeks to the event they will try to make a new commercial. It is a fact that they are hiding Fear, that they don't want anyone seeing Fear before the Event starts, I don't see how they could have made the commercial any better, it shows the lantern and Fear's mouth, I rather they spend more money on the event than on the commercial or the site, and if someone gets turned off from the event from the commercial alone...then they should know better :)

I can understand if some of you are really disappointed, and yeah they could have done something more scary I don't know, My point is not to create any argument or anything, I'm just thinking about this :)

I've heard rumblings that the AP Party will return for the 24 and 25th. I've heard the 2nd weekend is probable as well, but haven't heard the dates.

I pretty much figured the first two weekends. I guess we'll find out when the mailer gets in.

Well, the web page & TV ad didn't quite "do it for me" but I'm still hyped about the event. Great to hear comments like how the rehearsals are going. I'm interested to see if Universal will actually put out some different swag this year. Don't get me wrong, I do like a T-shirt (if it's done right) and the tall shot glasses but I'd like to see something different. I'm also waiting to see what pins they make so I can start working on some HHN XX pins here at home (don't wanna make the same looking pin that they have). I wonder how the zones & houses will look and then get "tweaked" as the event goes on. Ah the anticipation!

i'm happy to hear the rehersals went really well last night! I have such a good feeling about this year that's it's almost insane!!

And hhnFEARfan, I can guarentee you're going to have a great time :] HHN is quite the expierience-you'll never be QUITE the same afterwords :P I guess I'm in a similiar boat to yours-I'll be going to HowloScream for the first time this year. (Actually, I'll be going there the day BEFORE going to HHN. Talk about a crazy weekend :P )