HHN XX Speculation II

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have said that it's in some wooded graveyard some where (and it could be) because of the crickets you can hear and the stone thing it's standing on (It would also explain the roots.) But you also hear the damned dripping water. What kind of place has dripping water and crickets...?

no crickets and no water drops. The water sound you hear is a series of CLICKS that can be made with wooden sticks. However when I first heard the soundtrack it seems to me that the sounds are designed to emulate the ambient sound of a cave or tomb.

And just wanted to add the teaser pages in the past have always related to the theme of the event.

Last year we got the outside of the theater, then the entrance to the lobby and then the Theater it self.

I think the lantern is just what the site says it is: it will get brighter and slowly reveal more details about this year's event. As soon as this year's event is fully uncovered, we'll get a new homepage with the icon(s), if we have any, and we'll never see the lantern again. I don't think we'll have puzzles and back stories for each house, instead it will be a collection of the past for the site. But I do think we will have all new houses except for one 'best of' house, Silver Screams style.

I think the lantern is just what the site says it is: it will get brighter and slowly reveal more details about this year's event. As soon as this year's event is fully uncovered, we'll get a new homepage with the icon(s), if we have any, and we'll never see the lantern again. I don't think we'll have puzzles and back stories for each house, instead it will be a collection of the past for the site. But I do think we will have all new houses except for one 'best of' house, Silver Screams style.

I sorta agree with you and can maybe save the interactive for LT this yr.

Time for some completely wild speculation that probably isn't true:

Thinking about lanterns, schools, Greeks etc. a few things began to occur to me how these are connected. We have some idea that the Jaws queue house may have a scholastic theme due to "valedictorian". But what if this is the icon house?

Someone once said "A new icon will arise... every school has one". Although immediately discredited those clues are holding up oddly well as we get more info.

So, what if the lantern ties in with this house? Lanterns, torches and other objects of illumination are often used symbolically in school rituals. Have you ever heard of Lantern Night at Bryn Mawr for example?

Have you seen the lanterns they use for this ceremony?

lanternNight.jpg

Not identical to be sure, but a similar look nevertheless. Plus the ceremony involves an invocation to the Greek Goddess Athena.

Many colleges and universities have such rituals.

Then of course there is the matter of Greek Fraternities and Sororities. These organizations also sometimes use lanterns symbolically in their rituals. Those lanterns would normally be decorated with their Greek Letters.

One could easily imagine a fraternity or sorority named Chi Chi. And what would those Greek Letters actually look like?

XX

But let's see... willow huts, yeah, a place where a SA can be stationed to spring out at those that wander too close. They used that sort of thing in 2005 in the Cemetery Mines scarezone didn't they?

My video of Harvest

I don't remember huts. there were the tall tree/scarecrow/Jeepers Creepers guys...

There were the little goblin gus running around with what sounded like a duck call...

The hooded skull looking guys...

And then the dapper dressed pumpkin guys.

Again, there is really info out there... I don't know who the good Doc is talking about... But so far I have heard pretty much the same from all my sources. No straight movie houses and mythology will be involved.

From 2005: "escaped Knuckle Grunts dart in and out of the Cemetery Mines tunnels, terrorizing and attacking anyone and anything that comes in their way."

The "tunnels" were indeed used again in 2006's Harvest of the Souls scarezone. Whether or not this pertains to "Willow Huts" is anyone's guess.

As an aside, I absoluelty loved the HoS zone. The scarecrow/Jeepers Creepers characters were great.

Dr. Jimmy, you actually raise a really good point (as usual lol)

In the past couple of events, hasn't the Jaws Queue supported the biggest houses? (Ex. '08's somewhat disappointing reflections of fear and last year's Saw house which, although Jigsaw wasn't the icon, it was probably targetted to be the most popular.) You could be on to something here.

Jimmy, I think your on to something... Could it be our icon is some type of school official or figure? Maybe no icon at all, instead maybe the event Is the result of a ritual. A party at a sorority turns into a ritual to get the ultimate Halloween experience? But the guests get more than they bargained for and end up bringing back old and new horrors from the shadows.

Random bits:

I believe the look of the lantern is a clue. It is, as described, rather "earthy", with what looks like tree roots twisting about it. I think we might see that evil tree, or perhaps a whole haunted forest. It also brings to mind images of Druids and Stonehenge and blood sacrifices and whatnot. This is very familiar territory for HHN, actually. A Druidic-type scarezone would be a no-brainer...perhaps a "Hallow" zone? With a big fake Stonehenge?

To be truthful, what the lantern REALLY makes me think about is the cover to Led Zeppelin IV, but that's just cuz I'm an old burnout.

Don't like the idea of anything "Crazies" related, because no matter if it's licensed or not, a house or scarezone with this theme will inevitably devolve into just another "killer redneck" thing. Been there, seen that...hell, I LIVE it. Next.

On the other hand, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of a house based around Greek mythology. So it isn't scary, big deal, it opens up wonderful opportunities for over-the-top set and creature design. Imagine a house sort of like The Hallow, except filled with harpies, three-headed dogs, Stygian witches, and maybe even Medusa. And of course ANY mythology-based area worth it's toga should have a BIG-ASS MINOTAUR right in the middle of it. Carrying an even bigger axe. I really hope this particular rumor pans out, the possibilities are endless.

As far as the whole Sorority house thing...um,, didn't HOS do that last year? Pretty sure they did, so 0 points for originality if HHN does one this year.

We now return control of the internet to you.

Edited by Bsquare

So the facade for Sprung tent 2 is massive... A church? a house? a museum?

That house has the military storage/observation deck/ pitch fork/ and bed clothes... uber perplexing.

Also the crooked fence like structures combined with the van/garage... still not placing it.

Edited by JWFearman

That house has the military storage/observation deck/ pitch fork/ and bed clothes... uber perplexing.

Also the crooked fence like structures combined with the van/garage... still not placing it.

The fence-like things remind me of the fences outside of Creatures. The Creatures facade as well as the Wolfman house achieved that outdoor feeling

The crooked fences at the Disaster queue make me think zombies, maybe in the vein of Deadtropolis. I do also get that Creatures! vibe, but I can't imagine they'd stick that type of house in the Disaster queue, especially since that space has seen a pattern of either zombie, super-gore, and/or cannibal houses...

That massive-looking facade for the Sprung Tent is mighty promising, though. After several years of disappointing Sprung Tent facades (with the sort-of exception of The Hallow IMO) it looks like they're finally amping things up into a more elaborate entrance. No idea as to what it could be, it's a pretty generic shape, but color me excited.

I know someone mentioned it before but I don't think it was given much thought by any of us, but Bed victim and Pitchfork tie straight into The Crazies and a Military Storage could be the scene in the movie where they had all the strapped people quarantined from the rest in a type of storage facility, I think the similarity's are way to big to be looked over and even though it's been said we aren't getting movie houses, its has been said before that a movie based house are a different beast. just a thought.

I can see the sprung tent facade being something like an entrance to a secrete military bunker.

As for the fence, I can only picture mr Wilson standing on the other side giving wise advice.

Honestly when I look at this list, it looks to me like a possible history of creatures or tales/story types that have scared people from the beginingof time untill now.

I mean you have old greek myths,mummys, millitary experaiments, 80's slasher, unis own icons....ect ect...

this could be really cool.

I don't know how true this is, but it would be a GREAT way to do the year.

You could have the houses and scarezones going forward in time, starting with Greek and Egyptian mythology, go on to the 50's and 60's fear of UFOs and radiation (mutants, anyone?), hit the 80's slashers with a house in Jaws themed around a masked killer slaughtering co-eds at a University, and end with the two tents: one features something themed around psychological horror (like an original take on The Ring and Paranormal Activity), and one has a history of HHN, with the rooms going from 1991 to 2009.

Should I apply for a job at Universal now?

so according to hhnrumors some body was cast as nightmare man in jaws which is also to have scareactors cast as valedictorian and bed clothes intresting mix maybe or is it just a lie i mean how are we to know if any of these roles are real im sure i can say i was cast as broom stick 4 in kidzone and ppl will believe it not trying 2 be mean

looking at the pics from disaster i feel we might go through another neighborhood type house...as for tent 2 from the angle of the shot it looks like an old school house or church with the spot for the bell on top maybe a military academy since military storage is a room in that tent if recall?

Random bits:

I believe the look of the lantern is a clue. It is, as described, rather "earthy", with what looks like tree roots twisting about it. I think we might see that evil tree, or perhaps a whole haunted forest. It also brings to mind images of Druids and Stonehenge and blood sacrifices and whatnot. This is very familiar territory for HHN, actually. A Druidic-type scarezone would be a no-brainer...perhaps a "Hallow" zone? With a big fake Stonehenge?

To be truthful, what the lantern REALLY makes me think about is the cover to Led Zeppelin IV, but that's just cuz I'm an old burnout.

Don't like the idea of anything "Crazies" related, because no matter if it's licensed or not, a house or scarezone with this theme will inevitably devolve into just another "killer redneck" thing. Been there, seen that...hell, I LIVE it. Next.

On the other hand, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of a house based around Greek mythology. So it isn't scary, big deal, it opens up wonderful opportunities for over-the-top set and creature design. Imagine a house sort of like The Hallow, except filled with harpies, three-headed dogs, Stygian witches, and maybe even Medusa. And of course ANY mythology-based area worth it's toga should have a BIG-ASS MINOTAUR right in the middle of it. Carrying an even bigger axe. I really hope this particular rumor pans out, the possibilities are endless.

As far as the whole Sorority house thing...um,, didn't HOS do that last year? Pretty sure they did, so 0 points for originality if HHN does one this year.

We now return control of the internet to you.

:lol: I thouhgt of Zep, too.

Which, now you mention it, makes me think of Alastair Crowley, which then led me to this thought: Don't secret societies often use both lantern and mythological symbolism? They are also big on Greek and Latin and have been accused of harboring dark secrets...

Mae