HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

While I would LOVE for there to be 4 original houses this year, how did we get there? (Who am I kidding, I would L-O-V-E for there to be 9 originals)

This was the most recent leak list in this thread:

- AHS 

- Shining 

- TWD (Used to be Conjuring)

- Insidous 

- Saw

- Evil Dead

- Catacombs and Gothic Crossover

- Dark Fortunes 

- Original Maze

Assuming Path of the Wicked would be the "Original Maze" from the list, that's only 3 originals.

Perhaps someone was not realizing that Catacombs and Gothic was a mashup?

And as for the description of those two, best to refer back to those years on this site, but I'll try.

Catacombs was a love it or hate it house, with a huge majority on the love it side.  I personally did not think it was a great house.

Catacombs was in 2010 (HHN 20), which was THE last year that HHN went 100% originals.

The house lacked any facade, and tried to explain the storyline with a series of signposts in the queue.

It opened with an excavation into the underground catacombs, and we quickly found the archaeologists dead, and are left to wander the tunnels.

Throughout the tunnels we encounter Plague Doctors and Plague Victims.  Aside from jump scares, sound played a big role, with actors coughing and sneezing at you, spreading their sickness.  The house had zero gore.  The sets (in my opinion) were monochromatic because you were wandering catacombs, with little variability.  Again, this one didn't do it for me.

Gothic was in 2012 (HHN 22), which was when HHN decidedly went majority IP.  Starting that year we only got 2 originals: Gothic and Dead End.  Both of these were hyper-detailed.  It was as if A&D were giving us an "our condolences" card by going all-out on the only originals.  To this day, Gothic is pretty much universally thought of as one of (if not the most) impressive and detailed originals in HHN history.  The backstory was that we were entering a partially built gothic cathedral at nighttime.  And of course nighttime is when the gargoyles come to life and protect the cathedral.  We encounter four different types of gargoyles, and venture inside and then up and outside of the cathedral.  Highlights were a candle-lit hallway where all the candles are flickering and a cold wind blows from one end, putting out the candles in succession.  It was an AMAZING effect.  We also saw two flying gargoyles when we are on the roof - STUNNING.  And while up there we get to look hundreds of feet down into the cathedral (Dead Silence catwalk effect). And the final scare was a gargoyle that flies directly at you.  The house had zero gore, but had the best of the best effects from previous houses, all in a beautiful setting.  The codename for Gothic was "Waterspout", which is because gargoyles on buildings were often used as rain spouts.

It will be interesting to see how HHN connects these two very different themes.  The most obvious thing would be to start in a cathedral and descend into the catacombs, but that's not much of a cross-over.  How do they make the two themes mesh?  Plague mask bearing gargoyles sound like something we would see - but why?  How do we get there?

Edited by zombieman
  • Like 2

On 5/25/2017 at 1:16 PM, Tich0las said:

Are we also getting The Thing in Orlando? Would love to see this maze based on John Carptenter's film.

We've already had The Thing Assimilation which was based off the original but somewhat sequel taking place in Florida in 2007 and then the remake back in 2011, The original 1982 version though would probably happen but I don't see it coming anytime soon, there is not really a demand for it, I mean it seems like Hollywood really wants more than us, I love the film but I think Universal would rather save their opportunities of doing Carpenter's for a suitable year. 

21 hours ago, wow said:

Does anybody know what other backup IP's for The Conjuring Orlando had? In Hollywood we have The Thing and that would suck if Orlando got stuck with The Walking Dead again.

Honestly if anything should be a backup for Orlando is basically Scream, they weren't able to bring it in 2015, but since the show on MTV is hiatus and potentially going to be rebooted again, this is Universal's opportunity to try and strike another deal to see if the companies would budge and let them do Craven's film. The Walking Dead is done, I mean, if it came this year, it basically would have gotten the same exposure as AHS, it would have been named first to get it out of the way, AHS though, they promoted the heck out of because well they are using new seasons, where's a Walking Dead, its just really new settings and same walkers and no other characters, I highly doubt they will put money to make Shiva and the Kingdom or the Saviors without Greg Nicotero and co. breathing down their neck and saying no. 

7 hours ago, zombieman said:

It will be interesting to see how HHN connects these two very different themes.  The most obvious thing would be to start in a cathedral and descend into the catacombs, but that's not much of a cross-over.  How do they make the two themes mesh?  Plague mask bearing gargoyles sound like something we would see - but why?  How do we get there?

Gargoyle mythology plus bone churches (ossuary churches). Gargoyles protected the dead. While ossuary churches were not as common in France as other European countries, they do exist.

Here's an image of the Sedlec Ossuary.

5417118217e4b1f634ef04ce_sedlec-ossuary-church-kutna-hora-czech-republic.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, zombieman said:

- Original Maze

Assuming Path of the Wicked would be the "Original Maze" from the list

Actually based on the rumors "The Ifrit" shot down The possibility of a "Path of the Wicked" Maze

In which when you add up all of the info you get a Scarecrow Maze taking place during the Dust Bowl. So... No 3D Maze this year.

It's gonna be my first HHN (British, coming for my 30th) so no real understanding of events past (other than my parents who went before and keep saying castle vampyre nearly killed them, especially the guy on the bed?) and I've been reading these rumours a lot. This gothic/catacomb crossover sounds great and terrifying.  Walk into a church, things go wrong and you get attacked by gargoyles and someone tells you to go underground. To the catacombs. Then when you think you're safe people attack you from the walls, driving you into the plague pit for the big finale. What's not to be excited about over that? There's a lot of negativity on here (but I don't know previous events so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about). Any hints/tips for a first timer? Other than leave the rental car at home as ill need a drink haha

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

Any hints/tips for a first timer? Other than leave the rental car at home as ill need a drink haha

4 quick tips...

1. Pony up for the express pass or you'll be waiting in lines all night.

2. If you're doing Universal Studios during the day and have the stamina to stay all day for the Stay and Scream option, it's worth it. You basically get a shot of doing 2-4 houses with little to no line and you can save your express pass for later on when it's busy.

3. Go more than 1 night if you can. Although everything can be seen in 1 night (with express), you'll enjoy it more and it will be less hectic to do it at a normal pace and take time to appreciate everything (especially the scare zones).

4. If you're not doing Stay and Scream, get there when it opens. The lines build up fairly quick and hopefully you can bang out a house or 2 before the lines are unbearable.

Cheers mate. Thinking of going 2/3 nights  when it's quieter to do everything (as I'm there late september to early October), but staying in the park when it closes to get best access to the mazes when it starts (probs Springfield as I hear it's more comfortable). 

Is there anything else I should know about? Or just go and wing it and hope to make it out alive? Haha

6 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

Is there anything else I should know about? Or just go and wing it and hope to make it out alive? Haha

Hit AHS first that's the one that will be packed later in the night. Then Shining. Go through the rest of IPS then go through the the Originals to finish the night.

Edited by HHNManics
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

Cheers mate. Thinking of going 2/3 nights  when it's quieter to do everything (as I'm there late september to early October), but staying in the park when it closes to get best access to the mazes when it starts (probs Springfield as I hear it's more comfortable). 

I've always found that if you do Stay and Scream, to wait in the Springfield area. Every time I've done that I've been able to hit up 4 of the houses within the first hour and then I don't feel as rushed the rest of the night. Once the map comes out, try to make a game plan to best utilize your time. Also, do the houses closest to Bill and Ted WHILE the show is going on. It's a mess if you hit those houses once the show gets out. Lastly, I like to walk through the scarezones as much as I can because you notice something different every time. Have fun, friend! You're in for a great time! 

20 hours ago, HHNManics said:

Actually based on the rumors "The Ifrit" shot down The possibility of a "Path of the Wicked" Maze

In which when you add up all of the info you get a Scarecrow Maze taking place during the Dust Bowl. So... No 3D Maze this year.

Dark Fortunes? I would think with nine mazes they'd want to one of them to be a very cheap maze--which Lunatic's Playground clearly was (though I didn't go in it).

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

37 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Dark Fortunes? I would think with nine mazes they'd want to one of them to be a very cheap maze--which Lunatic's Playground clearly was (though I didn't go in it).

Maybe I don't know. It really just depends on the announcement. I don't really think or want Orlando to have a 3D maze this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HHNManics said:

Maybe I don't know. It really just depends on the announcement. I don't really think or want Orlando to have a 3D maze this year.

If they put another 3D house, it might be put where Chances' house was last year, I wouldn't doubt that they were probably testing that area to see if it would be used as a new area to place the 3D house because it seems like they will be using the Shrek soundstage for more ips like they did last year with Krampus. I keep joking with my friend that The Mummy house might be placed there since on the side of the building is The Mummy poster, I highly doubt they would put it in that soundstage then again I could be proven wrong. 

7 hours ago, littlegreenghouls said:

If we do get a mummy movie house... we won't get a character likeness of Tom Cruise because of scientology.
  He was going to get a funko pop in his likeness but I guess it upset the church and told fuko to shut it down.

I don't think that will stop them from having his character be in the house, I mean then again, when the house gets announced, I feel like the house will have us be the taking the part of him and others as we journey through many scenes from the film. I mean yes we will run into Amunet a lot and also see Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, but I don't think we will see the main character. I mean look at how Krampus was portrayed last year, the only person that had featured in the house was the mom bringing strangled by the Angelic dummy in the attic scene and that was really it. The other half was of the Elves and Der Klown and Der Bear jumping at you and such. So honestly we don't know how the Mummy will play out. Then again there was Dracula Untold, but that's something else. I just hope if it comes to the event, that its just as promising and worth all the promotion the movie is getting right now. 

1 hour ago, Frogger said:

Something about an experiment and Jack in the Box music.

Its so clear now!

The First Tweet has a TV going on about a "Experiment", then there is a laugh, and finally there is a wall.

The Second tweet has a Jack in the Box going on and then quickly cuts to a Dark Field.

The Laugh sounds a lot like the Caretaker. So in some way I think they are hinting at Cindy. Also on the Website for the Year one of the year numbers that flashes is 2010. The Same Year that Cindy had a Maze.

Edited by HHNManics
  • Like 1

I'm assuming we are moving from the Original Maze Hints to Scare Zone Hints. So...

The snake eating itself is a symbol that comes from Ancient Egypt. The river could be the nile. Cleopatra was a queen who had died via the Serpent, also a Bride who had been buried with her lover, and she was forgotten and left for Dead.

I think "The Ifrit" is heavily hinting at a Ancient Egyptian Scare Zone.

1 hour ago, HHNManics said:

I'm assuming we are moving from the Original Maze Hints to Scare Zone Hints. So...

The snake eating itself is a symbol that comes from Ancient Egypt. The river could be the nile. Cleopatra was a queen who had died via the Serpent, also a Bride who had been buried with her lover, and she was forgotten and left for Dead.

I think "The Ifrit" is heavily hinting at a Ancient Egyptian Scare Zone.

Now that you mention it, it sounds an awful lot like it relates to the new Mummy coming out.

From the trailers there were shots of part of the film taking place in NY. I wonder if this will be the scarezone located there. The upside would be they could use projects to display a giant sand face or sandstorms. 

I know the leaked list and rumours suggest this is a scare zone, but why not a house?

Personally I think this would work better as a house than a scare zone. UNLESS they manage a street-wide projection of the mummy as a sand face (although no idea of that fits into the new reboot).  

Maybe it could be a house in the mummy queue? That would be cool. Although logistically no clue. It's been a while since I was last at Orlando...

Edited by Drummanmatt