HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

The thing that makes HHN so good is that is has something for everybody.  It would be impossible to create an HHN event that every single guest loved every single element of. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Some people you can't seem to please at all and want to make everybody know just how bad the event is going to be because THEIR wants are not happening. 

What it all boils down to is pretty simple. If you don't like it, don't do it! 

In order for HHN to work, they need to offer a wide assortment of things to see and do. If every house was themed around the same concept or location, it would get real old. You need your different settings (bayou, hotel, house in the middle of nowhere, forest, temples, etc) and even different times of year (Winter with the Shinning, Fall with the AHS series) to make each house stand apart. 

Same thing goes with out in the streets. You have very different zones and things happening in them. A big stand out is AoV. While some people have been very vocal about how much they don't think it belongs at HHN, a ton of people disagree. I personally am most looking forward to an announcement of AoV coming back. It was the breakout hit for a lot of people. Most people were concerned about a dance show coming to HHN (myself included), but they stepped up and proved they belong and the crowds they drew as the event went on proved that. I know for some vloggers and locals I follow on Twitter, AoV was the best thing to happen to HHN in a long time. 

Long story short: Be happy that we even still have an HHN event to attend! Instead of bashing an idea you don't like, be happy for the people that want to see it. Not every comment needs to be a "This is an awful idea, HHN is ruined" type of post. 

Now I just wish they would hurry up and announce some stuff and most importantly, tickets!! Come on Universal, take my money!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

After they removed the sacrifice show can anyone tell me anything that was outstanding about that scarezone?

I remember that most people were saying the section was completely dull after it got removed. The "show" was the "zone". Every other actor that walked around was not memorable, no one was scared. If the zone/theme had any worth you'd hear folks raving about the concept, the actors, the costume. 

16 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

I'm really disappointed with the Blumhouse Mashup speculation. I think if it happens it'll be a mess. AHS as a show sucks buts its obvious that passion and budget was in that house and resulted pretty well. I don't think the same will occur with Blumhouse. Having something like the Thing would have really rounded out the lineup in my opinion. If Blumhouse is true it'll now be Insidious (which we've done before and does anyone else remember the second American Werewolf? Disappointing AND a repeat) and it's half concocted cousin taking up two spots.

Completely agree. They're repeating some while using really average "IPs" that would NOT translate well to a house. This wreaks of HHN Hollywood. Disgusted with that.

17 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

AHS: last year was good and I thought they used all the worst seasons. This year should be outstanding

I agree with everything you wrote here. Thematically it is FAR more interesting than last year. The subtle-politics and sexuality injection into those seasons were stupid and made the house worse.

18 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

25 was the most "Halloweeny" of the years I've attended and I liked it. I hope some of that carries over to this year. My hope for the scarezones is-

What other years have you gone? And I agree with your assessment on the optimal zone use.

19 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

TL;DR we don't have to unanimously agree on house concepts but its great when everyones excited 

You're right again. People can take this forum as a good sampling of the general public. This year is, by far, the most "mixed" I've ever seen this forum on an upcoming event. That doesn't smell good from a distance. What is the root cause? Horrendous marketing, self-indulgent clue makers (I blame HHN for not handling the clues - bring back the old flash teasers they used on old websites please), IPs people are feeling mixed about already, no real "switch" from the previous year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheLadyGator said:

That's what I was thinking!

Could also be something referring to the Evil Dead. There were 3 Bruce Campbell movies. I know it's been rumored that they are using 1&2, but what about Army of Darkness? 

Army of Darkness is trapped in rights hell.  They will never make any reference to it in the new show, and if you watch Part 2 and then Army of Darkness you'll notice that they re-shot the ending of 2 for the prologue for 3.  All kinds of crazy rights issues.  They wanted to call the third one Medieval Dead which would have been the PERFECT name, but the distributor didn't want anything tying it to the first two (yeah, yeah, it's a continuation and all that, but Sam Raimi talks about it on the commentary track).

Ash vs the Evil Dead has stuff from 1 (really only the roots segment) and 2 because it is "connected" to those films/rights and has no connections to 3. 

1 minute ago, criticalanalysis said:

I don't get it, but I applaud your ability to be more open-minded.

Here's the thing with AoV. They are something you don't see all the time. ALL major cities (heck most small cities too) have haunted houses to attend during Halloween. While HHN stands apart because of the level of detail and sheer size, a house is a house. Sure it has a different theme, but it's sole purpose is to scare you. 

I go to HHN to see things I can't see locally. A high energy, high intensity show with incredible performers and great music is not something I am going to get at my local haunt. 

Are their certain IP''s and original concepts I would like to see get announced? Sure! But at the end of the day, we are bound to get house announcements. AoV is still up in the air and I would personally be pretty disappointed if they didn't return. It wouldn't ruin the whole event for me, but I liked being able to watch their show when I wanted a break from the houses. 

• Like 3

Someone earlier asked would we see the voodoo part in AHS Coven removed. I believe we won't. Last year the attention to details, character moments, and music played into that house extremely well. Removing a key part of Season 3 I just don't see happening. I do see the "attic," being used to tie the third season into such as Season 1 tied into the basement.

34 minutes ago, Badge said:

A high energy, high intensity show with incredible performers and great music is not something I am going to get at my local haunt. 

Suppose I rather see that money going more towards other uses in the event.

Sinister evil all about
You must go Further to Get Out

Sigh.

Edited by criticalanalysis

8 minutes ago, HHNManics said:

The "Further" meaning it's about Insidious. Oh Heaven help me if I have to meet Lipstick face. He terrifies me. Didn't go a few years ago when they had the first house. Might have to drink a bit more....

Edited by TheLadyGator

2 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

Appreciate you sharing your perspective. Have you been to BGT and done Death Water Bayou, curiously? Did you enjoy it the first time, or on repeat visits?

I loved it the first time only for the intro - then the rest was bleh to me.

I haven't, but I'm not opposed to going when I'm down there.  I agree that sometimes houses put better scenes in front of lesser ones, and that does indeed make the overall house a letdown.

Edited by sikbyrd350
Formatting

Here's my thinking with the repeat houses/zones: I don't think HHN really became as super popular as it is until a few years so for many of the new fans, myself included, it is exciting to see houses such as Saw coming back as they weren't able to experience it the first time around. A lot of you guys on here have been going to HHN for years and years, but for us new babies it will be nice to see some of the houses we missed out on in the past. I would speculate that HHN probably gets more guests that are new to the event than ones that have been making the pilgrimage every year for 5+ years. They need to keep it fresh. 

As for AoV, I will be so excited if that comes back. I really enjoyed how they included Shadybrook in their performance and it wasn't just straight dancing like Jabbawockeez. I know there's a lot of unpopular opinion about this, but I think they're party atmosphere was a good highlight.  

• Like 3

I'm curious to see how they will incorporate "Get Out" into a house.  I suppose they could have the surgery scene and maybe the brother with that knight mask popping out at people?  Other than that I can't think of anything else, any thoughts?

1 minute ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

Here's my thinking with the repeat houses/zones: I don't think HHN really became as super popular as it is until a few years so for many of the new fans, myself included, it is exciting to see houses such as Saw coming back as they weren't able to experience it the first time around. A lot of you guys on here have been going to HHN for years and years, but for us new babies it will be nice to see some of the houses we missed out on in the past. I would speculate that HHN probably gets more guests that are new to the event than ones that have been making the pilgrimage every year for 5+ years. They need to keep it fresh. 

As for AoV, I will be so excited if that comes back. I really enjoyed how they included Shadybrook in their performance and it wasn't just straight dancing like Jabbawockeez. I know there's a lot of unpopular opinion about this, but I think they're party atmosphere was a good highlight.  

agreed! I am bummed that I missed out on the Psycho houses especially when the set was still there.  I am not overly excited about Saw but there are always houses I love, houses I liked, and houses I didn't care much for so I am open to any type of house (except TWD). 

8 minutes ago, TheLadyGator said:

The "Further" meaning it's about Insidious. Oh Heaven help me if I have to meet Lipstick face. He terrifies me. Didn't go a few years ago when they had the first house. Might have to drink a bit more....

It means that the Blumhouse Mashup will have Sinister, Insidous, and Get Out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HHNManics said:

It means that the Blumhouse Mashup will have Sinister, Insidous, and Get Out. 

Surprised at no Purge if true. 

With Insidious not being its own thing, the door is now open for....perhaps that Voodoo Queen Original that was just hinted?

• Like 1

Some of these IPs just don't make any sense as houses.  Yes, these movies were good.  But a maze is a different experience.  Someone mentioned Silence of the Lambs a few pages back, and how boring would that be?  Walk around a prison?  Walk around a lobby?  

We might as well do Rubber if we're gonna go down that road.

That being said, I never got to see The Thing.  Please let me see The Thing :(.

Edit: Yeah, like, I have zero desire to see Get Out in a maze.

Edited by Doctor_Acula
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Doctor_Acula said:

Some of these IPs just don't make any sense as houses.  Yes, these movies were good.  But a maze is a different experience.  Someone mentioned Silence of the Lambs a few pages back, and how boring would that be?  Walk around a prison?  Walk around a lobby?  

We might as well do Rubber if we're gonna go down that road.

Completely, completely, completely agree. The Shining is going to suck - I'm calling it. I even think visually it'll suck because there is NO WAY to replicate the scale of the hotel (which was part of the reason the movie had good atmosphere). What was scary wasn't the few "scary" (supposedly scary, at least) scenes - it was how much the hotel weighed down on those staying. You can't replicate that.

Edited by criticalanalysis
  • Like 2

Just now, criticalanalysis said:

Completely, completely, completely agree. The Shining is going to suck - I'm calling it. I even think visually it'll suck because there is NO WAY to replicate the scale of the hotel (which was part of the reason the movie had good atmosphere). 

I have a special spot in my heart for that film, so I will enjoy it regardless.  They could get creative with mirrors if they wanted to.  I could see it working, but I could also see it ending up kind of average, like the Exorcist (the facade was great, and the rest was alright, IMO).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

Appreciate you sharing your perspective. Have you been to BGT and done Death Water Bayou, curiously? Did you enjoy it the first time, or on repeat visits?

I loved it the first time only for the intro - then the rest was bleh to me.

BGT=Howl O Scream?

If so, I thought that that the Death Water Bayou was the probably my 2nd favorite house at the event. Of course it is significantly darker inside most of the houses at Howl O scream vs HHN which makes it better. It also isn't as jam packed as HHN which is another bonus. I liked the house though. We went through a few times. It's a shame that Howl O Scream doesn't have a bigger budget and the ability to add all new houses each year. More people would probably go if they did.

I've got to be honest... last year when we stopped to watch AoV my expectations were set at about 0. I was fairly surprised with the show in general. It was enjoyable. However, my issue isn't with the show itself, but more the location of where it takes place. I wish there was a stage somewhere where they could perform and they could use that large area for more scare zone stuff. The giant stage definitely takes away from the Halloween atmosphere.

Also... My expectations of this Blumhouse mashup aren't very high (assuming we get it). It's one thing to have multiple themed areas for an AHS house, but to have another house like that just doesn't seem very creative to me. 

1 hour ago, criticalanalysis said:

Completely, completely, completely agree. The Shining is going to suck - I'm calling it. I even think visually it'll suck because there is NO WAY to replicate the scale of the hotel (which was part of the reason the movie had good atmosphere). What was scary wasn't the few "scary" (supposedly scary, at least) scenes - it was how much the hotel weighed down on those staying. You can't replicate that.

I'm not confident that it's going to suck, but you make a valid point. The hotel was so massive. How are they going to be able to convey that size even in a sound stage? What I'm most concerned about is the elevator blood scene. If they pull some cheesy effect for that, it could ruin it for me. They better have this scene...

Oh yeah and AHS better have this playing at some point...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

I wish there was a stage somewhere where they could perform and they could use that large area for more scare zone stuff

That's my only issue with that location as well. It's so close to what's supposed to be the "quiet and eerie" scarezone that sometimes it starts to leak in. You'd think that they could swing it around the back towards one of the emptier areas. But, I guess they want utilize the heavier foot traffic up there.

7 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

Remember when they said they would have zombies in the basement of the church treading water and it was so poorly done it was almost laughable?

I'll have about those expectations as well.

Almost laughable? It was totally laughable. Definitely a blunder. Sometimes they do things that are real head scratchers. Like those Regan figures from last year. They spent how much to get the wolves right (2x) for AwiL, but they use "Hot Topic" Regan dolls for one of the biggest name ips they've ever used. If they can't get the blood scene to look real, they mine as well just cut it out instead of using something that ruins the whole house (in my opinion).

Anyone think they'll be adding HHN stuff to the Harry Potter area this year?

• Like 1