HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

On 5/21/2017 at 6:23 PM, criticalanalysis said:

Awful that AoV is coming back. Getting a bad tone for this year. 

* Lack of marketing

* Awful AoV is coming back

* "Expected" IPs with no surprises

It's like all these folks do now is churn above average butter day in and day out.

Critical, this is becoming a broken record...

May 2015, in reference to the upcoming HHN 25: 

"It's amazing to me how little y'all need to be excited about something. ... The event has zero cohesion. Everything is all over the place. ... They failed..."

March 2016, in reference to the upcoming HHN 26:

You started a topic "Anyone other than me getting a bad vibe about this year?"

When you were little and got out of school for summer break, did you tell your friends "Man, Christmas is gonna suck this year"?  :D

• Like 10

1 minute ago, ForeverEvil1 said:

Apparently people on OU are hinting they we have a possibility of having a Scream Incident happen this year. Obviously for one of the unreleased IP houses. 

Wouldn't it be ironic if an IP house was replaced with Scream this year?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zombieman said:

What a way to come full circle.

Just now, mz_ said:

The IP problem.. maybe?

Evil Dead - TV vs. Movie, could of caused issues.

The Conjuring - Legal problems.

Not Evil Dead apparently. So Conjuring or Saw, ignoring Orlando's unknown 6th IP.

7 hours ago, zombieman said:

That would be funny to see happen, I mean the show is getting another reboot, I mean if they brought back the idea of it coming to the event, it'll definitely be a shared ip because Hollywood only used Ghostface and the Scream franchise for their backlot and not a house, we were going to have a house only to be replaced with The Purge, so I mean I could see Scream probably coming in the near future but only if they could have a good deal to work out with. I honestly think Conjuring is probably on the chopping block at this point or to let Hollywood have an Insidious house for themselves and us getting it because we haven't had two blumhouse ips at our event, Hollywood would probably be the first. 

7 hours ago, mz_ said:

The IP problem.. maybe?

Evil Dead - TV vs. Movie, could of caused issues.

The Conjuring - Legal problems.

Evil Dead I don't think is really a problem for Universal at this point, if they got a hold of Shining and Exorcist, they probably know what they are doing somewhat and with marketing and comcast behind them, we probably would either get a best of house with Evil Dead 1, 2 and Army of Darkness or to promote the show more Ash Vs. Evil Dead, honestly both are good, I wouldn't mind seeing all 4 because we could see the evolution of Ash through the film and in his current age lol if they have some actors that could pull it off, The Conjuring, may or may not happen, Universal I think they could find ways to do it but who knows, its something they've been wanting to do, if Conjuring becomes the ip over here, that means the only exclusive blumhouse ip that Hollywood would have is Insidious, since Conjuring would probably be shared. 

9 hours ago, zombieman said:

"It's amazing to me how little y'all need to be excited about something. ... The event has zero cohesion. Everything is all over the place. ... They failed..."

When you were little and got out of school for summer break, did you tell your friends "Man, Christmas is gonna suck this year"?  :D

You said it, Zombie.

13 hours ago, zombieman said:

Ha, well I would think a lot of folks would agree that the older events were far better. Even my Father, who is not a huge haunt guy, said the mid-teen years were 10x better than now. He basically has all but stopped going.

15 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

Ok, let's hear the analysis of this tweeted by Ifrit minutes ago:

So unravel every riddle
This one falls along the middle
On the difficulty chain

DAmK93bWAAUug_-.jpg

So I'm guessing you can put the Blue as the tweet we received about this list of Blue and Black.

The Black Bar after the blue could be the tweet where he refers to "Dan89" and "Ozian16" being right.

The Yellow Bars are New as the Black Bars hinted at the Icon Maze and the Blue hinted at the Catacombs/Gothic Crossover. The Yellow Bars must be hinting at Final New Original Maze. Which the tweets are:

None of the Mazes I heard this year whether Original or IP have been "3D Friendly" so this probably the hint to our 3D Maze. Which if I to guess by the fact he says rain and that all pain can end by some rain. Maybe the return of Acid Assault as 3D Maze?

And the Black One he is one is the tweet he just did.

Edited by HHNManics

14 hours ago, zombieman said:

But is it a lie?  I know it gets tiring to hear complaints, but some of us know exactly how awesome it used to be.  Back when the budget was MUCH LESS than it is now.

It's a lazy cash grab recently.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, blueoktober said:

It's a lazy cash grab recently.

Correct. When The Exorcist felt like Hot Topic last year I knew the event lost its touch. Even the "originals" last year were pretty much crap in retrospect. The only house I felt that was worth a damn was Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And all y'all sitting here saying, "Oh we should get a Bowser house, or Five Nights at Freddy's [etc]," damn. Contributing directly to the problem. The last few years feel like a "mesh" in that there is little distinction. I can 100% recall the differences in each year from years past but now it is a blend because they do the same general idea, "Shitty throw back to old school fans, bunch of IPs, limited ability to scare, churn guests in and out, little ambiance, dance show, horrendous marketing, repeat."

The best part of the event are the tours of the houses but even then I haven't forked money up the last two years. In my experience, talking to some of the tour guides they admitted to me in private they do not feel the event is what it used to be.

Because it is not. The ONLY reason I go and spend just a ticket to get in is because I don't want to miss a year since I've been going to since HHN 14. No more money on drinks/food, no more on memorabilia, no more on extra tours, I don't speak highly of it to friends, nothing. 

Take this for what it is worth - how much honest excitement is there this year for The Shining? If you said to me two years ago it would be coming I would be very optimistic and the forums would be raving. But we're not, other than one or two folks. 

If the event had maybe 5 originals and 4 IPs you would have a MUCH better event.  And drop the damn upcharge house, Lord - leave that to worse events. If you don't think Mike Aiello knows how tied his hands are and how much it sucks now well, don't know what to say.

Edited by criticalanalysis
  • Like 1

I thought that all the houses were fairly decent last year except maybe Chance's (3d bologna). I only started attending since HHN 20, so I missed out on those teen years. I can't imagine that the houses were that much better back in the day with a smaller budget. However, I'd imagine that the scare zones were probably way better since there was no parade and a lot less people. What I don't like is how much the price has steadily increased each year for the same quality or less in some instances. The people paying full price for one night without express and no stay and scream are definitely getting hosed.

The Exorcist felt like Hot Topic??? IT'S THE POWER OF CHRIST!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

Correct. When The Exorcist felt like Hot Topic last year I knew the event lost its touch. Even the "originals" last year were pretty much crap in retrospect. The only house I felt that was worth a damn was Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And all y'all sitting here saying, "Oh we should get a Bowser house, or Five Nights at Freddy's [etc]," damn. Contributing directly to the problem. The last few years feel like a "mesh" in that there is little distinction. I can 100% recall the differences in each year from years past but now it is a blend because they do the same general idea, "Shitty throw back to old school fans, bunch of IPs, limited ability to scare, churn guests in and out, little ambiance, dance show, horrendous marketing, repeat."

The best part of the event are the tours of the houses but even then I haven't forked money up the last two years. In my experience, talking to some of the tour guides they admitted to me in private they do not feel the event is what it used to be.

Because it is not.

And yet, you're still here.  Do you also sit on your front porch and yell at kids to get off your lawn?  I mean, seriously, man.. we get it.  It's not the same.  Things change, and it isn't the event that seemed to be more for the hardcore fans in the past.  The higher-ups finally pulled their collective heads from their collective asses and looked at the data on how many billions Halloween rakes in every year.  They realized - holy mother of god, we have a cash cow here!  Slowly, Marketing has crept in and put their shit soiled hands into the mix and have taken away some of the things that were most loved.  What can you do?  You can either not go, OR, you can go and enjoy what there is to enjoy.  

Personally, I love the event.  It's still my favorite thing to do every year.  Do I get pissed sometimes?  (see my endless rants about The Walking Dead) - of course I do.  But would I get pissed and disparage the event as whole?  Not on your life.   I am realist which I prefer over pessimist.  Life is too short to be that goddam miserable.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

I thought that all the houses were fairly decent last year except maybe Chance's (3d bologna). I only started attending since HHN 20, so I missed out on those teen years. I can't imagine that the houses were that much better back in the day with a smaller budget. However, I'd imagine that the scare zones were probably way better since there was no parade and a lot less people. What I don't like is how much the price has steadily increased each year for the same quality or less in some instances. The people paying full price for one night without express and no stay and scream are definitely getting hosed.

I updated my original post with more just in case :)

They had less of a budget, but they had less houses to make. They didn't have to fork over money for IPs and stuff. The more budget you give someone they are less likely to try to be "wise" with it. And I agree with you on the prices. Honestly, 20 - 22 had some pretty darn good houses but the rest of the event was really lackluster. Imagine the highlights of those years with much better scare zones, less crowds, it was cheaper, and more ambiance and you had the teen years.

6 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

Things change, and it isn't the event that seemed to be more for the hardcore fans in the past.

What I've always tried to argue is that what made the event popular WAS how it was done then. The event would've absolutely continued to get more popular and will stay popular because down there it's just a "thing you do" for the 18+ crowd. If they returned to form they could even up the prices even more! Win win!

I will also admit to you that you're right things change. This may surprise you, some of my favorite houses from the last few years WERE the IPs (AWIL, Halloween 1, Texas Chainsaw). But when they start going into the B-tier IPs then that's not good. 5 originals, 4 IPs, a nice balance. BRING IT!

19 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

The Exorcist felt like Hot Topic??? IT'S THE POWER OF CHRIST!

When you have less money, you get more creative.  In all aspects of life.  The houses were once very creative and the point was to entertain and scare you....not to make you feel like you're walking through a pretty TV/Movie set.  

Scare Zones I have never cared about, so I don't get into that.....but I will say the cohesive environment played a HUGE part of how much I loved the event.  

I understand people love it, and until last year, I was still a huge fan.  I just finally woke up when some of the local haunts entertained and scared me MUCH more than anything at HHN.  It feels like a frat party taking a backlot tour at a movie studio instead of a major horror event.

24 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

Correct. When The Exorcist felt like Hot Topic last year I knew the event lost its touch. "Shitty throw back to old school fans, bunch of IPs, limited ability to scare, churn guests in and out, little ambiance, dance show, horrendous marketing, repeat."

Take this for what it is worth - how much honest excitement is there this year for The Shining? If you said to me two years ago it would be coming I would be very optimistic and the forums would be raving. But we're not, other than one or two folks. 

facebook

7 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

How did the Exorcist feel like Hot Topic? One thing I noticed about that house in particular was how different it was in quality on different times we went through. The 1st time I went through I thought it was rubbish, but then we went through other times and it was way better. Not 100% sure what the changes were, but something changed.

I agree that the ambiance has taken a plunge generally speaking over the years I've attended. I thought HHN 20 had decent ambiance though.

One of the best parts of the event is the behind the scenes tour. I don't go to the event to get scared. I go to see how they create the sets and masks/make up etc... At this point, I couldn't imagine going to the event and not doing the tour. 

The Shining was one of the scariest movies I watched when I was younger. Those twins freaked me out for some reason. As scary as the movie is I'm not overly excited to see it made into a house. I'm not sure it will turn out that good. I also think that they're just using this big name movie as a cash grab attraction which is a little annoying, but that's how money is made.

Thanks for sharing your opinions!

4 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

How did the Exorcist feel like Hot Topic?

Regan sitting upright looking fake while her head spun in circles with no variation in her facial expression looked terrible. There was more than that but that alone killed the house for me. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

Thanks for sharing your opinions!

Regan sitting upright looking fake while her head spun in circles with no variation in her facial expression looked terrible. There was more than that but that alone killed the house for me. 

I hated that house.. not as much as I hated Chance.. but I HATED the Exorcist.  That head spinning thing was so cheesy, and I am still SO PISSED that the house didn't start with her playing with Mr. Howdy.  I mean, WTF??

The best part about it was the facade and the theme music at the beginning.  Oh, and the flash to the desert scene was cool.  The rest was crap.

57 minutes ago, blueoktober said:

When you have less money, you get more creative.  In all aspects of life.  The houses were once very creative and the point was to entertain and scare you....not to make you feel like you're walking through a pretty TV/Movie set.  

Scare Zones I have never cared about, so I don't get into that.....but I will say the cohesive environment played a HUGE part of how much I loved the event.  

I understand people love it, and until last year, I was still a huge fan.  I just finally woke up when some of the local haunts entertained and scared me MUCH more than anything at HHN.  It feels like a frat party taking a backlot tour at a movie studio instead of a major horror event.

There is more to it than the less money vs big money idea.  I think things are more directed.  I don't think A&D have the kind of control they used to have AT ALL, and I am sure they are being told what they have to do with more than half of what will be at the event.  It's not their fault.  I feel bad for them a lot of times because they are the ones who bring all the passion and who literally make this event what it is.  Then you've got the corporate assholes who have no idea what they are doing, and they are grabbing at whatever looks most popular and forcing it onto A&D (i.e. YEARS of the Walking Dead).  

I guess knowing all this, I still love to go with an open mind.  I still want to see what A&D will do - how they will try like hell to give us the best of whatever they are tasked with giving us.. and then, the real gems are the passion projects they get to do - i.e. Halloween, AWIL, etc. which are MIND BLOWERS.  Do I wish we could have awesome scare zones like we did in the past?  Absolutely.  Do I wish we could get more original houses?  Yep.    But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the creativity and hard work they put into what they have.  AHS was gorgeous last year, and that was the big IP.  Kudos to them for rocking that! 

Too much cynical shit here.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mystiquephreeq said:

Random throwback because my mind keeps coming to it. 

The image of the Tent 1 facade. It's a church. Not great with architecture, but I'm going with clapboard church to be more specific. 

My guess is Catacombs 2.

20 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

I guess knowing all this, I still love to go with an open mind.  I still want to see what A&D will do - how they will try like hell to give us the best of whatever they are tasked with giving us.. and then, the real gems are the passion projects they get to do - i.e. Halloween, AWIL, etc. which are MIND BLOWERS.  Do I wish we could have awesome scare zones like we did in the past?  Absolutely.  Do I wish we could get more original houses?  Yep.    But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the creativity and hard work they put into what they have.  AHS was gorgeous last year, and that was the big IP.  Kudos to them for rocking that! 

Too much cynical shit here.  

I do try to keep an open mind and to be honest, I could care less if it is an ip or an original. If I can walk through the house and be impressed with how elaborate the sets are and if the timing and variation of the scares are executed properly I won't complain. The best ever example of this (for me) was the Halloween house. How could any fan of the movie go through that house and not be blown away? It was the type of thing Universal should always strive for. They brought the movie to life in essence. 

Do you have faith that The Shining will be pulled off properly? For instance, one of the most iconic scenes, the blood pouring out of the elevator... I'm really scared at what they're going to do to pull it off. I don't want to see a great movie used just for the sake of using it and then getting cheesy effects. 

• Like 2

• Gambit pinned this topic
  • Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic