Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

Hence, wishful thinking. The crowds alone would make this nigh impossible. But it's the wishful thinking thread, not the speculation thread. :)

^well its not so much the crowds... its just the lack of area to do so. The old 2004 crossover area behind HardRock/NBA is now paved over I believe.. its been awhile since i've had a look back there... (and didnt think to glance over that direction during Grinchmas).

EDIT:

What they could do though is add cornstalks & whatnot to the area (most likely Kidzone again) that has the jack-o-lanterns in the trees. It'd be a good designated area.. and throw in some pumpkinhead scareactors.

Boogeyman was a great movie, its two direct-to-dvd sequels... not so much (only watched the 2nd, have yet to poison myself with the 3rd). The movie had a great premise & actually showed you something to be scared of (unlike Darkness Falls... aka- tooth fairy movie.. which might be what you're thinking of).

But yes.. I totally agree.. we need a Boogeyman house.. 2005's WEH was... randomly awful..

facade was a semi-rundown house, corridor of half-open doors (with an appearance from Michael Myers), bedroom (with a Big Bad Wolf scareactor), squared staircase (yes this was an actual 2-story house located) with a bungee vampire in the middle, attic with vampires, storyteller, and an old dude, downstairs into the basement (cant remember what was there), chased out of the garage by a redneck fat guy weilding a chainsaw...

Edited by WESKER69
  • Like 1

^well its not so much the crowds... its just the lack of area to do so. The old 2004 crossover area behind HardRock/NBA is now paved over I believe.. its been awhile since i've had a look back there... (and didnt think to glance over that direction during Grinchmas).

Not the way I'd like to see it done. From what I've seen, it still featured fairly wide paths, didn't it? I'm thinking having to walk through a corn field infested by nasties. Narrow paths, dark, and all quiet like. Until the screams start...

I do wish I'd been able to see the between-park SZ's from the earlier days. They seemed to be extra awesome, from the pics and vids I've seen.

No, I meant Boogeyman. Don't get me wrong. There were some great concepts. And the prologue is absolutely fantastic. If it was a short film, and that's all I saw, I'd be raving about it. But the rest of the film just couldn't compare to it, imo. That being said, I've seen both sequels, and they are AWFUL. The third one at least went back to a supernatural entity, but they are not good. If I had to watch any of them again, it would hands down be the first one. Maybe I'll go back and watch it again, give it another chance. And I agree about Tooth Fairy, aka Darkness Falls, aka We screwed up so badly we had to change everything halfway through production.

I'm not going to lie, that sounds...terrible. Very sloppy, and just not great. Not the normal quality of narrative that A&D can put into a house. Yeah, I'm thinking one creature, quite literally the hiding in your closet or under your bed Bogeyman. The original source of children's night terrors. Could be fun, and I don't think it's been done before?

I'm not going to lie, that sounds...terrible. Very sloppy, and just not great. Not the normal quality of narrative that A&D can put into a house.

To make it even worse... the house was supposed to be the signature house for that year... (god knows why, since it didn't fit into the realm of Terra Cruentus).. but they expected the house to be extremely popular, so they built it twice. An exact duplicate inside the soundstage divided by a black curtain. So yes, they could've had 8 houses that year instead of 7... but the duplicate of WEH was mainly built for peak night crowds.

I can't even fully remember what all was in the house, mostly because it was so bad that I've tried to block it from my memory lol.

(same with Cold Blind Terror... which was literally nothing by black walls with zero sets, one room with random bubble suds, possibly a black/white checkerboard style room, and a few "floating spectral ghosts" on harnesses above..).

To make it even worse... the house was supposed to be the signature house for that year... (god knows why, since it didn't fit into the realm of Terra Cruentus).. but they expected the house to be extremely popular, so they built it twice. An exact duplicate inside the soundstage divided by a black curtain. So yes, they could've had 8 houses that year instead of 7... but the duplicate of WEH was mainly built for peak night crowds.

I can't even fully remember what all was in the house, mostly because it was so bad that I've tried to block it from my memory lol.

(same with Cold Blind Terror... which was literally nothing by black walls with zero sets, one room with random bubble suds, possibly a black/white checkerboard style room, and a few "floating spectral ghosts" on harnesses above..).

Wow, that does make it worse! Like, I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and assume that it at least had some good points to it, since it's Universal. But that sounds like something I'd find out here. Just a bunch of random stuff thrown together. Not what I'd expect from UO. Especially not from the signature house. I guess it's stories from The Storyteller's book? But very odd that they'd do it the same year as Terra Cruentes. I wonder if it was a replacement house?

I think the main issue with the Storyteller was she was created by Hollywood and forcably shoehorned into that year's event, so I feel WEH was pretty much created as something to slap her in. An' amusingly enough, that house was in the former Nickelodeon soundstage...a bit far away from IOA and the whole Terra Crutentus realm. I think that was A&D's way of saying "Fine, we'll have her. But she ain't getting near what we created." Which would make sense considering while the Storyteller was used in all the marketing, she was nowhere found in IOA.

• Like 1

I think the main issue with the Storyteller was she was created by Hollywood and forcably shoehorned into that year's event, so I feel WEH was pretty much created as something to slap her in. An' amusingly enough, that house was in the former Nickelodeon soundstage...a bit far away from IOA and the whole Terra Crutentus realm. I think that was A&D's way of saying "Fine, we'll have her. But she ain't getting near what we created." Which would make sense considering while the Storyteller was used in all the marketing, she was nowhere found in IOA.

From what I understand, most of the 2005 houses were designed with the theme of Darkness (hence Cold Blind Terror and Where Evil Hides) and they created the Terra Cretentus theme after the fact when the original theme was vetoed by Hollywood.

If A&D had it to do over again, I think they would tell a better story through the houses instead of the vague, strung together at the actual event.

^where did you get this?! I've been looking everywhere for a picture of whatever it is but I can never find one...

I can't give up my sources for things... :P

Not that it matters all that much with a movie... but still.

but I mean you can sorta see it in the poster....

1-Mama-Poster.jpg

But that pic, to me, looks like it could be in a house. Not knowing how the movie plays out... I could see a potential for a mama house.

OH! in other news Universal is doing another event like the The Serious art of Make Believe from last year.

DTF reported on it here. You know HHN will be involved and I'll bet anything the design forum will be held there again this year.

• Like 3

Okay, time for some pure wishful thinking. I want another cornfield scare zone with scarecrows and other beasties walking between the rows. I want big, dense, intense, and lots of corn stalks.

And then for a haunted house, I really want a house set in a 1930's-40's era orphanage that's come under the assault of the Bogeyman. You start by going through the orphanage during the attack, and then enter the Bogeyman's world (either via closet or under a bed through the vortex tunnel), and take a little spin through the his domain. And maybe, if you're particularly unlucky, you'll find out just what it is that he does with all the people he takes.

Or a house that puts the Traditionals in a house. Start with a cornfield, move to a pumpkin patch, and then maybe a local town barn where a Halloween party was in full swing until some terrifying, unexpected guests showed up.

Are any of these likely to happen? Probably not. But it would be fun!

I like the idea of a mid-century ophanage under attack from "the Boogeyman".... in fact it would be cool to see a different Boogeyman in each different room to represent what he is to different kids!

One room its a hairy monster, drunken human, then a serpent, etc., etc.

About "Mama" being brought to life as a house, I believe there have been a few rumors about Murdy in talks with Guillermo del Toro. Not sure if that rumor is just an idea or if it already was shot down, but If we have to share anything with Hollywood again this year, PLEASE GOD let it be "Mama"! It has serious potential.. plus it is Guillermo del Toro.

Mama seems like it would make a fantastic house. It'd be pretty good for Hollywood too if they're not doing another La Llorona house. It might just be me, but I think those two properties would be too similar. Especially after seeing that image of Mama.

After HHN 22's IP-filled houses/marketing/etc, I'm hoping for some strong plotline & original charaters.
I love the idea of a house based around the Traditionals. They've become so popular that I wouldn't be surprside if we do see them (or a version of them) somewhere in the event again this year.

• Like 1

After HHN 22's IP-filled houses/marketing/etc, I'm hoping for some strong plotline & original charaters.

I love the idea of a house based around the Traditionals. They've become so popular that I wouldn't be surprside if we do see them (or a version of them) somewhere in the event again this year.

They became popular with the fans but the question is did they become popular with the GP?

We had a house and a SZ based on the Traditionals before but they weren't called Traditionals at the time.. Hell they wore the same costumes as they did last yr.

You're wanting original characters, but then say you want a house featuring the Traditionals? That sort've backtracks. Besides, as I previously stated once already, 2010's "The Orfanage" was a house based around the Traditionals. There was even an eprom (scareactor activated device that triggers effect/audio) that said "TRICK OR TREAT!"...

You're wanting original characters, but then say you want a house featuring the Traditionals? That sort've backtracks. Besides, as I previously stated once already, 2010's "The Orfanage" was a house based around the Traditionals. There was even an eprom (scareactor activated device that triggers effect/audio) that said "TRICK OR TREAT!"...

I wonder if many posters, when talking about "original content," are comparing to and differentiating with IP's moreso than with previous years' offerings. Maybe that would clear up some of the inconsistencies being perceived, and still allow for the wishful in wishful thinking.

• Like 3

That house didn't do the Traditionals or Cindy any justice. It was VERY hit or miss, and wasn't that great when it was hit. Something along the lines of The Skool mixed with the Skoolhouse scare zone would be better in theory for the Traditionals. Where was Cindy again? :)

• Like 2

I think a house that was "traditional" would be nice, but I don't think you need the Traditionals to make the house work.

Creepy children are fine and good, but how often do we need them?

I could see a montage of scenes that could fit the traditional idea without being overrun by creepy kids.

Set it in a Carey neighborhood. Carey has a long history of large portions of the town going nutty.

You can have the home Halloween Haunt gone wrong, a cornfield maze gone wrong, a Halloween party gone wrong, various houses where decorations are made from real people.

Do a Home for the Holidays without the inmates.

Decorate and costume with cheap 60s, 70s, & 80s materials. Make it gauche and gaudy and not at all professional, except for the blood and guts and gore.

That's what I remember from my childhood. Plastic and paper skeletons and scarecrows. Paper mâché decorations. Garbage bags stuffed with leaves or newspapers to make a spider.

Make it look like a neighborhood in Anywhere, USA.

• Like 4

Make it is less specific than that. Just have aspects that are traditional. Bobbing for apples...Trick r' treating, fall festivals... spirits/ghosts/pooka...

Of course put and evil twist on it... oh yeah... that was the Hallow ;)

Well yes then I want the hallow 2.0. Bring the Samhein character back. But I would like to see a references to Stingy Jack, tick-tacks, souling, parshells, Pomona, Hecate and Medusa (three faced masks included), fire of bones and the snatching of embers, láir bhán (throw in the "night mare" for good measure), guisers, vizards, hugadais, and yes... TURNIPS!

I mean if we're going to make it traditional.. lets get really old school. I guarantee you nobody does that. you could have it be a progression through the years.

If I didn't have a million things to do I'd do some character/concept sketches for all this...

• Like 6

Make it is less specific than that. Just have aspects that are traditional. Bobbing for apples...Trick r' treating, fall festivals... spirits/ghosts/pooka...

Of course put and evil twist on it... oh yeah... that was the Hallow ;)

Well yes then I want the hallow 2.0. Bring the Samhein character back. But I would like to see a references to Stingy Jack, tick-tacks, souling, parshells, Pomona, Hecate and Medusa (three faced masks included), fire of bones and the snatching of embers, láir bhán (throw in the "night mare" for good measure), guisers, vizards, hugadais, and yes... TURNIPS!

I mean if we're going to make it traditional.. lets get really old school. I guarantee you nobody does that. you could have it be a progression through the years.

If I didn't have a million things to do I'd do some character/concept sketches for all this...

In my head I sometimes come up with ideas for haunted houses and a progression from traditional Halloween to now is an idea I have come up with. Just cool you mentioned that, haha.

with how they are running things now between Hollywood and Orlando, it is making me wonder if we will have a repeat house for 23. I mean lets say they repeat Silent Hill or Walking dead over there, what's stopping them to repeat the house here? (specially with now much money they got. I have no idea if they could use those properties again or not but wouldn't surprise me to see a repeat this year.

They could even add the prison and change the house a little bit.