Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

"The Glorious Rant"

^ This, thisthisthisthis THIS!!!

Wesker really nails it on the head, with this kind of show it comes down to writer & director. You really can't blame the films/pop icons they parody since a good script can make any of them work, I've seen gut-bustingly hilarious shows from references/film I don't care for. Heck, Hollywood's B&T this year did great with a lot of the same parodies that Orlando had. Once again, it comes down to the writer & director making them work.

No matter the quality of the show, B&T is as much as a staple of HHN as The Hanging is to Knott's Scary Farm. If the show wasn't there, something would be missing.

I'll also second the shocking lack of shows in the park for the event, a event this big shouldn't have one garunteed show. Compare this to Knott's who last year had a whopping NINE shows. The more shows a park has, the better the crowds can be diverted.

• Like 1

Bill and Ted aren't going anywhere, imo.

Look at The Hanging at Knott's. It doesn't even have lead characters in it's pop-culture skewering show and it's well into it's upcoming 41st year. It's a cornerstone of Horror Nights. It's not something I think they'll get rid of anytime soon, regardless of some years that aren't good and some that are superb according to people's tastes.

• Like 1

So - is there any reason we (they) can't drop the "roaming" from the hordes, and have set horde scarezones? I think something similar was mentioned earlier, but - best of both worlds? Still no safe zones, though - please!

Hordes ftw! With special love to my Strengoit of course.

And to whomever suggested Repo! as a show for this year - that is just sick and odd enough to be a really fabulous idea.

I was going to mention the idea of Horde scarezone (a mixture of both) but I wasn't sure if it was a stupid idea or not. But I agree. bring the best of both worlds. I wish the scarezones had more decoration to them but with no safe zones.

The thing is that the hordes are basically just scarezones with minimal props that moved around the park. They didn't have enough people to cover the streets sometimes (so everyone complained to them on Facebook) and technically the hordes were just like scarezones but the actors could move more freely.

I would be okay with a mix of both but if I had to choose between the hordes last year and regular scarezones I prefer regular scarezones always. They are more fun/ not as empty. I mean technically the only difference between the two is the lack of props and the ability the actors had to go anywhere they wanted to.

perhaps they can have 5 scarezones and 3 roaming hordes like the Warriors going around the park marching or scaring. That would be pretty amazing.

Well Mz brought the Bill and Ted subject up and I Was just agreeing with him. Sure the person that wrote the show is at fault, but how many times can they make fun of the same celebrity or the same stuff before it becomes stupid? I Say once is enough. We don't need Twilight or Jersey Shore jokes more than once. same with celebrities, I don't see the point in making fun of the same thing in different years. For more good than a script is some things are just lame. (specially if it is repeated.)

Speaking of Knotts, their show was amazing compared to the crap infested show we had last year LOL. I know the actors do a great job but why can't they write good shows for them? I don't get it. I know they are busting their butts on the show but the show, still sucks.

Like you said about the lack of shows. Bill and Ted wouldn't even be a problem if we had at least 3 shows. Another dark music show and maybe a freak show. But when BIll and Ted becomes the ONLY show in the par (magic shows dont count I mean music and dance show) It becomes a problem because you cannot choose. There were a few nights I did Bill and Ted because there was nothing else, and for me, it didn't get better. The jokes felt stupider the more times I heard them.

I would LOVE a Willy Wonka house; done the way Roald Dahl wrote it...DARK. MWAHAHA!

A house like this would work for me:

^THIS. I 100% agree with this. It would be a great way to offer different theming and experiences between the two parks. I think this is a perfect way to go if both groups were going to be in the same year at HHN.

I would love different centralized sets/areas, within with the hordes can then roam freely. Give them larger areas, but have boundaries. I think it would be the best of both worlds, and you don't have the problems of roaming dead areas, or only potentially seeing one or two hordes on a night.

As for B&T, I don't have an issue with it, but it needs stronger stories. This last year's story had the loosest of plot lines, and really suffered from a weak, confusing, and very clearly desperate ending. A script can make or break a show, and it was very much in the latter camp this year. It was like watching a stage version of Epic Movie or Distaster Movie. less thought out story beats and plot development, and more "Look at this! It's a thing you know!" The was so much superfluousness to this year's show. It could have been much tighter. If they can't go to the well for a strong story, maybe it's time to put B&T on the shelf for a couple years, try out some new ideas, and then bring them back refreshed.

A Repo! show would be a cool addition, and I believe the stage show was originally only 30 or 40 minutes. So it could be adapted. An icon or theme show could be good. I'm not opposed to a magic show, but only if I see something I haven't seen before. 20 Penny Circus generally used tired tricks that I've seen countless times by other magicians. I would love to see a horror-themed show, even if it's a bit more comedic. Hell, give us a Universal Monsters show if need be, with the different monsters all competing for an award or something. Throw in some jokes and maybe a bit of scary, and I'd happily sit down and watch. There are plenty of different things they could do. With all they experiment with when it comes to houses, SZ's, and other aspects of the event, it's astounding how little the shows seem to change year to year.

• Like 3

It was like watching a stage version of Epic Movie or Distaster Movie. less thought out story beats and plot development, and more "Look at this! It's a thing you know!" The was so much superfluousness to this year's show. It could have been much tighter. If they can't go to the well for a strong story, maybe it's time to put B&T on the shelf for a couple years, try out some new ideas, and then bring them back refreshed.

^ This, thisthisthisthis THIS!!!

I have felt the same way. Bill and Ted feels like a live version of Epic movie or Disaster movie. I totally get that feeling ( I said the same thing last year somewhere in here)

I also agree that if they can't do good shows maybe try something else for a couple of years and bring back Bill and Ted later. Bill and Ted doesn't have to end all together but a break now and then wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Specially if they could bring something stronger to the event.

I think is funny that there is all this talk about shows for HHN instead of other things :lol: goes to show you we REALLY need some new shows badly.

Edited by Mr. Black

but how many times can they make fun of the same celebrity or the same stuff before it becomes stupid?

We don't need Twilight or Jersey Shore jokes more than once. same with celebrities, I don't see the point in making fun of the same thing in different years.

You can make fun of the same thing repeatedly very easily and have it still be hilarious. Twilight is actually a very good example of how they made it entertaining 3 years in a row. Instead of spoofing it for 2012, they just mentioned it. afterall, we're all going to miss Twilight so very much (said no one ever).

As for Jersey Shore, they only did it in 2010 & 2012.. and Snooki was only used to poke fun at The Kardashians. Along with an innuendo of Snooki being preggers by the Situation.

Making fun of celebrities year after year is a copyright-free zone, something you don't get with movies/tv shows. They can play it safe for the legal department. Hence why 2007's show was very "safe" after 2006's Disney/WB lawsuit issues (POTC & Lex Luthor). Besides, its not our fault celebrities continuosly do stupid things for us to poke fun of & laugh at.

Not really... but now that you mention those spoof movies, I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed... they started copying B&T with the "dance finales". I found that to be highly amusing.

^BLASPHEMY!.. again, like i said.. this year's plot was from the mind of Jason Horne. A new writer/director of the show. Considering the backlash the show got (thank you weak script & of course the Fox News asshats having a tantrum over the Obama/Romney rap battles), I don't see him returning for 2013's show. Unlike previous final shows, Jason did NOT give a little speech afterwards thanking the fans, cast, etc.. Instead, after the "be excellent to each other, and party on dudes" part.. the cast gave hugs, took some pics, and that was it.

But to shelve the show for a few years because someone didnt write/direct a show full of orgasmic awesomeness, would be kinda stupid.

• Like 1

I also agree that if they can't do good shows maybe try something else for a couple of years and bring back Bill and Ted later. Bill and Ted doesn't have to end all together but a break now and then wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Specially if they could bring something stronger to the event.

Speak for yourself. sheesh. You realize that they can "bring something stronger" to the event WITHOUT affecting B&T?.. I think some of you seem to forget that aspect. There are like 4 other show locations that can be used. (hell if they shoved SS22's queue line somewhere else, the Rockit Stage would also be another location... go figure).

Again... B&T isn't a "if they can't do good shows, then try something else" problem. Its a writer/director problem. (also a legal department/higher up issue).. So making a show "take a break" isn't suddenly going to provide HHN with "OMGZ AMAZEBALLS" content. If a show wasn't good this year, you get someone new to do it next year, and continue to do so until you have someone who knows what they're doing...

Like I said, you can add all the new content you want to... but most of you will end up bitching about how mediocre/shitty it is and how they should've just done B&T Show #22, #23, etc etc..

Speak for yourself. sheesh. You realize that they can "bring something stronger" to the event WITHOUT affecting B&T?.. I think some of you seem to forget that aspect. There are like 4 other show locations that can be used. (hell if they shoved SS22's queue line somewhere else, the Rockit Stage would also be another location... go figure).

Again... B&T isn't a "if they can't do good shows, then try something else" problem. Its a writer/director problem. (also a legal department/higher up issue).. So making a show "take a break" isn't suddenly going to provide HHN with "OMGZ AMAZEBALLS" content. If a show wasn't good this year, you get someone new to do it next year, and continue to do so until you have someone who knows what they're doing...

Like I said, you can add all the new content you want to... but most of you will end up bitching about how mediocre/shitty it is and how they should've just done B&T Show #22, #23, etc etc..

Bill and Ted is not HHN. Simple as that. For more that you like it.

I don't even hate Bill and Ted, what I do hate is that there is nothing else. You can't make a choice as far as shows go because you get to choose between this and the lamest magic shows ever. That's really not fair. I guess I just wish Uni didn't just counted on people going to Bill and Ted.

You are obviously a fan. Anything anyone says about it negatively is going to create an argument from you.

But just because I am a really really big fan of hot dogs doesn't mean everyone else should love hot dogs and eat them every day :lol:

Or doesn't mean that they are not junk food. Because they are. hot_dog.gif

(I love hot dogs )

Edited by Mr. Black
  • Like 1

1. Drop the synergy

Seriously, I think the attempted synergy between both Hollywood and Orlando hurt more then it helped. If both parks want to do a shared event theme, that's fine. However forcing certain themes and houses on a event which had other plans in mind (Orlando) brings up this issue.

This is the wrong use of the term synergy. A more appropriate example is that Universal's movie studio was releasing the prequel The Thing in theaters while the theme parks had a house based on it. Silent Hill was just USF reusing ideas that USH had already developed when their houses had to be scrapped for whatever reason

• Like 1

This is the wrong use of the term synergy. A more appropriate example is that Universal's movie studio was releasing the prequel The Thing in theaters while the theme parks had a house based on it. Silent Hill was just USF reusing ideas that USH had already developed when their houses had to be scrapped for whatever reason

I stand corrected, however this doesn't change the fact that having TWD, Silent Hill and AC dropped onto Orlando's event was not the best of ideas.

• Like 1

Things I would like to see at HHN 23 and on:

1. Slender house or scare zone.

2. Scare zones with roaming hordes.

3. Original Icon.

4. A central theme.

5. More originality and few IP.

6. A back story to the event.

7. Switch off years (one year has IP and original, the other has all original)

8. More gore in houses.

9. More scare actors in the streets.

10. Continuance of implementation of good, effective scares in houses but also experimenting with new scare tactics.

11. Lagoon shows...WITH SET TIMES!

12. Continuance of 8 houses or in the future, if possible, 9 or maybe 10 (too much?)

13. 1 or 2 extreme houses. (preferably 1)

14. More sound stage houses.

15. Midnight Syndicate, Nox Arcana, horror movie soundtracks etc in streets and houses (depending on the attractions)

16. A Halloween (Michael Myers) house...in a SOUND STAGE!

17. Dead Space video game house.

18. Call of Duty: Zombies house/scare zone.

19. Less reliance on strobe light effects and sounds in houses for scares triggers.

20. A reunion year every once in a while.

21. Fear to return every reunion year with past and new icons and for him to look more evolved and horrifying every time.

22. Hell, slasher and war themed years.

23. Halloween Horror Nights 23 to come faster and be a great success.

I think this year we will have a LT sequel house and possibly LT and the legions to be a central part in the event.

My feelings about HHN 23 are that we will have IP houses but the event will be more original. I think we will have a central theme, back story and main icon again. Not sure about scare zones returning but I think the legions will come back but in a different way. Maybe roaming hordes with scare zones? I hope so!

Above all all things, I want to see: icon, theme, back story, Slender, Scare zones or hordes and zones and more originality for HHN 23.

Let's see what happens...

• Like 1

Why do you guys want more SS houses?

Havent you seen how good the tents are getting? POE was amazing and prove they can do wonders in the tents like first few yrs.

If they got another sprung or two, it would be fine as I agree the tent houses have been great in recent years. However, If they have a SS available, I say use it. Only downside would be crowd and queue control. If they did do 2 parks, you could have a queue setup for SS20 coming from the IOA side and keep the setup the same for SS22 and 23 (again, if open).

Most people associate a SS house with quality, top notch sets, huge facades, better audio and lighting, etc.

On another note.

Seems like we have two kinds of people here. Some that think that Universal can do no wrong and whatever they do is great, and some that are not afraid to be negative about Universal and it's events. We need to express what we think, if no one ever does.. NOTHING will ever change/get better. As with last year, we should not bash one another on the basis of how we WISH the event should be or change. We need to weigh the pros and cons of whats happened in the past to make a better future.

If it makes Universal money, that's what they will do regardless if its IP's and letting Marketing control the event. It's all about the GP, not the locals, AP holders, FFP holders.. we get HU and LT to play. 2008 seemed to be the last year that had any real "fan" based influence on it.

Signed.. IMO.

• Like 4

If they got another sprung or two, it would be fine as I agree the tent houses have been great in recent years. However, If they have a SS available, I say use it. Only downside would be crowd and queue control. If they did do 2 parks, you could have a queue setup for SS20 coming from the IOA side and keep the setup the same for SS22 and 23 (again, if open).

Most people associate a SS house with quality, top notch sets, huge facades, better audio and lighting, etc.

On another note.

Seems like we have two kinds of people here. Some that think that Universal can do no wrong and whatever they do is great, and some that are not afraid to be negative about Universal and it's events. We need to express what we think, if no one ever does.. NOTHING will ever change/get better. As with last year, we should not bash one another on the basis of how we WISH the event should be or change. We need to weigh the pros and cons of whats happened in the past to make a better future.

If it makes Universal money, that's what they will do regardless if its IP's and letting Marketing control the event. It's all about the GP, not the locals, AP holders, FFP holders.. we get HU and LT to play. 2008 seemed to be the last year that had any real "fan" based influence on it.

Signed.. IMO.

I can understand there is a lot of passion for the event, but I just can't turn a blind eye when things are not as good as they could be. We are paying costumers after all.

Also, with all this talk about 2 parks, I really hope they don't have it 2 separate events. Its already a crazy amount of money for 1 night, imagine 2 and that includes everything on top of it. I would love 2 events, don't get me wrong, but the GP won't stand for that. As they will only buy one night to one of the 2 events.

Also, with all this talk about 2 parks, I really hope they don't have it 2 separate events. Its already a crazy amount of money for 1 night, imagine 2 and that includes everything on top of it. I would love 2 events, don't get me wrong, but the GP won't stand for that. As they will only buy one night to one of the 2 events.

I wouldn't even know what to do if that happened. I wouldn't know which one to visit. I guess I would spend most of the time in IOA since I never been there for HHN, but let's say one of the best houses is in IOA and the other of the best houses is in Studios. Would become troublesome.

I wouldn't even know what to do if that happened. I wouldn't know which one to visit. I guess I would spend most of the time in IOA since I never been there for HHN, but let's say one of the best houses is in IOA and the other of the best houses is in Studios. Would become troublesome.

I have to imagine that IF they did that (and I think it's a big if), they would offer a park hopper option, just like they do during the day.

• Like 1

Halloween Horror Nights 23 (All ages, recommended 13+)

Halloween Horror Nights 23: Extreme (21+) (Where the Extreme house would be)

Extreme costs more and gets you into both events. Ok, I can dream! :)

• Like 3

Halloween Horror Nights 23 (All ages, recommended 13+)

Halloween Horror Nights 23: Extreme (21+) (Where the Extreme house would be)

Extreme costs more and gets you into both events. Ok, I can dream! :)

Just speaking of the Extreme House idea in general, I always thought the minimum age for it was going to be 18, not 21.

I'd love to see the gore factor back. Not sure how HHN was pre-IOA since 2002 was my first year, but back then it seemed more "all-out" as far as blood and gore. HHN has become so commercialized and marketable that it seems they lost the roots in the past years. Put the "Horror" back in Halloween Horror Nights and I'll be even happier! Let "Orlando's" A&D do what they do best!

Totally agree with you guys. Seems as though the marketing team is suppressing A&D. My first year was 08 and each year it seems as though the event has decreased in gore and the creep out factor. Not going to lie, I LOVE the houses that don't need much gore such as Gothic, Dead End, Winter's Night, and many others from past years. As for the houses like The Walking Dead; they need to raise the gore factor. Walking Dead was a bit clean to me. Seemed as though the blood and the dirt was missing.

• Like 2