Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

Now the thing is though, Mama comes out soon.. What happens if the movie bombs? Then what? By Sept and Oct nobody will remember it.. Just because its a Horror movie doesnt means A&D has to look into maybe turning it into a maze.

Edited by DesigningtheFear
  • Like 3

Now the thing is though, Mama comes out soon.. What happens if the movie bombs? Then what? By Sept and Oct nobody will remember it.. Just because its a Horror movie doesnt means A&D has to look into maybe turning it into a maze.

Same thing that happened with Dead Silence and Doomsday?

Although those both came out in March, the houses coincided with the release of the DVD.

Besides, if it bombs in the theaters that doesn't mean it won't have a cult following.

And Dead Silence and Doomsday both bombed in the theaters.

Now, I would have one requirement of a Mama house:

The scareactors portraying Mama would have to move like her.

Having seen the trailers, the only thing that appears to separate Mama from other supernatural entities is the way she moves.

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 2

So i'm totally digging Hollywood's current spec for their 3rd Alice Cooper house... and i'd be all for it to be at Orlando's event too. They're currently thinking "Alice (Cooper) In Wonderland"... and we've already seen what Orlando is capable of as far as AIW goes due to all 3 of the Scary Tales houses (2001, 2002, 2008) having an AIW scene (Chainsaw Alice, Alice playing with the White Rabbit's intestines, etc)... and of course the Asylum In Wonderland scarezone in 2008...

Could you imagine that trippy scarezone from 2008 being merged with Alice Cooper?

you can't really blame people for not getting the pronunciation of samhain right because of how it's spelled. that isn't common knowledge. it's fine to correct somebody in an effort to educate them, but don't be that guy. You know THAT guy. lol
Seriously. I didn't know the pronunciation!

Hell, I learned it from good ol' Doctor Jimmy. Though, I had known it before, but forgot it. I learned that in Halloween II (the original) that Donald Pleasance pronounced Samhain wrong when it was written in blood on the chalkboard; this was ironic because Sam Loomis (his character) knew a lot about the holiday. So a review of that movie told me, but I forgot and Doc retaught me, haha.

But it doesn't really matter whether you know it or not. I mean, like someone had mentioned - it's not general knowledge, so nothing to stress over. It's just a tick when someone says it wrong, but I don't act like an ass about it (and "deeply bothers me" may have been a bit of a stretch). I'm surpised there was even this many posts about it........

So, how about that wishful thinking you guys? Haha.

I've taken time to read through the thread after my post HHN hibernation and it seems a lot of you mirror my thoughts on what they want for next year. Although I'm repeating most of what's been said here are my wishes.

1. A return to 8 houses and not 7. This may not happen seeing as the success of last year will make them think they got away with it.
2. A split of houses in favor of original houses. I'm thinking 6 original and 2 IP if it's an 8 house year or 5 original and 2 IP if it's a 7 house year.
3. The return of a proper fleshed out icon or host and better advertised backstories to the houses. I'd like to see H.R. Bloodengutz take the role this year as he presents each house as a movie.
4. No more lame acts like 20 Penny Circus. There was nothing original in that show I'd seen it all before. I don't mind a magic show but please something of a better quality. Or a stage show featuring the icon of the year resembling what they did with Jack a few years back. That's a good way to explain the icon to the GP.
5. A return of the no safe zones from last year. That worked so well. I'm quite honestly torn between the roaming hordes and set scarezones and can't decide which I like better. I originally thought go for a mix of both but I don't think that would work on further reflection.
6. No more music based houses. As much as I am a big fan of Alice Cooper that house wasn't a big hit with me and I knew the material it was based off. I can see why some people didn't get it. I don't think music translates very well to houses.
7. A better website with interactive fun areas from the start. I do actually think they realised they screwed up last year and I do expect better in 2013.
8. Merchandise for sale on a par with last year which I thought was of the best choices in years.
9. The return of the card swipe idea and expanding upon it. Maybe places within the houses to find or timed out areas in the streets.
10. Bill and Ted. On first viewing of last years show I was dissapointed. However I watched it every night I visited (6) and by Halloween night I was singing along, laughing at what was about to come, reciting lines and having a blast. There is just something about that show and it has to return. Both my wife and I thought the guy who played magic mike was hillarious. Well played my friend!

All that being said Uni will see last year as a massive success due to the amount of people in the park. As much as I like original houses the IP's definitely dragged the public in. I'm have no doubt you'll see another big name this year. I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned Resident Evil ;)

• Like 4

The only reason I know it is because of Trick 'r Treat

I only know because of Trick R treat as well LOL

but, Why the HELL is there an M in there? and a silent M no less... :huh: I used to think it was samaen or something, I mean you seriously cannot be mad at people for seeing an M and pronouncing it :lol:

Resident Evil, There has been a couple of talks about it but not here, They should be able to do it since they did it already for the other park.

About the 8 houses and full scarezones, like I Said if they plan on making 7 houses and do hordes either lower the ticket prices (yeah right) or add 2 more shows or something. They seriously need to work this out better. Hopefully Transformers will be open by next October that will be a lot of fun.

I think the idea of a makeup show is a good one. I realize very elaborate makeup takes hours. However, we get our faces "painted" every year by some really talented people at HHN. I've given up choosing an already designed "face" off the boards, and I tell them - just be creative. We've gotten some of the coolest make up that way. This past year, I had 4 different random people/groups ask to have their picture taken with me. For the record, the makeup that was apparently so appreciated took about 15 minutes. At the Arcane Insights Tour, I asked TJ why they didn't have the Horror Makeup Show running during the event. I mean, of ALL THINGS - you'd think they'd run that! He said he agreed, but the actors who do the show apparently don't want to do extra shows that late.. or something along those lines. I'd love to see an alternate version of HMS for HHN. Using volunteers would be cool.

I hope Horror Unearthed comes back. I realize there were glitches, but it was FUN. If HU doesn't come back - then some variation of it. I also wish for a better website. Not only that, but a better website SOONER. It seemed like it took forever last year to get anything of substance. I would think the website is the perfect vehicle to amp up the talk and suspense of the event.. the sooner the better. ENGAGE people with games and creepy themes, etc.. That is the kind of thing that gets me more into it than ever.

I'll be going to see Mama this weekend. I would like to see for myself if the movie will be as good as the hype. God help us all if it turns out like "The Devil Inside" where the best part of the movie was the trailer. If Mama lives up to the hype - I'll get on board the wishful thinking for a house based on it.

Before you think to comment on this, Wesker - let me say ahead of time, I already know the roadblocks associated with what I'm about to say, but I'm going to say it anyway because this is WISHFUL thinking.. I would love, love, LOVE to see Stephen King and Uni working together for something truly unique and awesome. Who better to scare us all shitless than the Master himself?

• Like 6

Before you think to comment on this, Wesker - let me say ahead of time, I already know the roadblocks associated with what I'm about to say, but I'm going to say it anyway because this is WISHFUL thinking.. I would love, love, LOVE to see Stephen King and Uni working together for something truly unique and awesome. Who better to scare us all shitless than the Master himself?

I agree with this. I think of it every year and it's always on my wishful thinking list.

Chris, :P

I want King houses!

• Like 3

In that same vein (As you are right no Stephen King)...

Lets have a shinning inspired house. Kinda Hotel Hell, meets tower of terror, meets ghost town, meets bioshock...

Would love to see a Art deco style hotel. You walk into the lobby in disrepair. As your go through it is restored (still looking for that silent hill effect we didn't get <_<) and becomes inhabited with masked guests. (of course the bunny masquerade masks could make an appearance) throw in some back story and bada bing.

• Like 2

Eileen, did you just... post-block Chris? Brilliant! :)

As for the subject matter, you know how I feel about King's writing. That being said, I wouldn't mind a SS house that takes us through the town of Salem's Lot. Although Lovecraft is still the author I want to see there most. Where're my Deep Ones?! I want Innsmouth! My sanity needs a good blasting of eldritch horror! Of course, they could please both crowds and adapt King's Salem's Lot prequel story. That's got a strong Lovecraft vibe to it.

6. No more music based houses. As much as I am a big fan of Alice Cooper that house wasn't a big hit with me and I knew the material it was based off. I can see why some people didn't get it. I don't think music translates very well to houses.

This. Absolutely. Music is a critical part of HHN, but I don't think it should be a focus. Not when there are all sorts of other things that could be done instead, and to greater effect.

• Like 2

Heck, if they're gonna go for IPs - let's do a whole Treehouse of Horror house! That might be the ultimate in cheese for me. Not like they don't have some of the costuming already... :D

I'd still love a ToH layover on the Simpsons ride. Maybe Krustyland is doing a Halloween event and things once again go awry.

• Like 1

Music is a critical part of HHN, but I don't think it should be a focus. Not when there are all sorts of other things that could be done instead, and to greater effect.

Before this gets implemented - could we maybe pretty please get AC Goes to Hell Not in 3D But With Full Orlando Creativity? Keeping in mind that casting is CRITICAL, of course.

Just wishfulling my thinking. Even as a party of one.

ETA: Zombie babies.

• Like 2

In that same vein (As you are right no Stephen King)...

Lets have a shinning inspired house. Kinda Hotel Hell, meets tower of terror, meets ghost town, meets bioshock...

Would love to see a Art deco style hotel. You walk into the lobby in disrepair. As your go through it is restored (still looking for that silent hill effect we didn't get <_<) and becomes inhabited with masked guests. (of course the bunny masquerade masks could make an appearance) throw in some back story and bada bing.

Only if the guests have croquet malets.

Hmmm, now I'm picture a Whovian/King crossover.

Minotaur in the hotel anyone? You would get a Dr. Who representation and two King novels in one house!!!

Ok, that's pure wishful thinking and maybe a little insane.....

• Like 1

5. I originally thought go for a mix of both but I don't think that would work on further reflection.

why wouldn't it work? there is an entire back half of the park (san francisco, world expo, central park, simpsons expansion area, possibly even Shrek Alley depending on Transformers) that can be home to themed scarezones.. while Hollywood & NY can have roaming hordes & street entertainment so it wouldn't interfere with the highly popular Superstar Parade.

Like I've said many times before... last year's shitastic website was a product of Marketing. It was not done by Ray & company. Hence the lack of.... everything. The games & other fun interactive stuff (like Horror Unearthed for example), was done by Ray and A&D... So unless Marketing is forced to take a step back, expect another shitty website. However, with the two Legendary Truth teasers we've gotten since HHN ended last year, there is a chance we could actually be getting the fun interactivity that everyone is wanting...

But remember... everyone has been wishing for a better website the past 3 years... and instead of getting something spectacular, the website has gotten worse each year... 2010- crap, 2011- crap, 2012- crap. Despite the shitty websites, A&D has thankfully made up for Marketing's failures with 2011's "Backroom" & last year's "HU".. Don't get your hopes up for a website that resembles 2004-2009, just have faith that A&D (and Ray) will be able to provide us with extras on the side.

Although Lovecraft is still the author I want to see there most.

Patience... it is in the works... Mike Aiello himself confirmed this during 2011's event. So give it another year or so.

It was proposed/planned... and the creators/voice talent was all for it... HOWEVER.... Universal said "no" because they didnt want to do a ride layover/conversion right away, they wanted to wait for the hype/popularity to die down... which of course happened within 2-3 months of the ride being open. go figure...

With all the money being dumped into that area of the park for a Simpsons expansion, I have to wonder if UNI has contemplated doing the Treehouse of Horror ride conversion. I know there were also (scrapped) plans to convert the ride to 3D, which is the last thing we need in the park.

*facepalm* ....really?

kfY2N.jpg

Given previous history with projects such as the red behemoth that must not be named - I don't necessarily think conjecture that the ride MIGHT not be functioning by October is totally and completely out of the realm of discussion, especially for Wishful Thinking. I'm aware it is a virtual certainty, and I certainly wish and hope it is open when it is scheduled to be.

Facepalm worthy? NIMHO. :)

• Like 1