Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

Yep, that's really the only King story that I'd want to see a house of. Well, that and The Mist.

Regarding the story set in winter, I believe it was released as a separate short story (much like the prequel story that has zip to do with vampires). Don't quote me on this, but I want to say it was called One for the Road.

A house based on "The Mist" would actually be kind of unique (in a way). It could have some potential. The book was pretty good, but the movie was one of the worst pieces of shit I have ever seen (a bit of brutal honesty there), god that movie sucked, and the ending...haha...don't even get me started...

Anyways, a house set in a grocery store would be pretty interesting, I mean they've done a hotel and even school...and a grocery store could work well. Though, a grocery store house would remind me a bit too much of "Intruder." But, I also feel the house would fall flat in the execution of the actual monsters...they are tentacle-like beings, and from what I've heard - tentacle based "Creatures" did not work so well in a particular house (and yes I know there were other issues regarding the creatures as in their size being too large)...and plus most of the book's plot revolved around the drama between the characters and the monsters the people were becoming, not the actual monsters outside the store, and being scared by normal people wouldn't be too exciting. And the big issue with the story being centered on the characters was similar to why was Walking Dead a house? A great zombie house, but not a good Walking Dead house because the show is more centered around the characters.

I really hope Mama is not a house, please...no.....

Edited by TsunamiFox
  • Like 1

Aiellos going over there sometime in the next week to talk to Murdy about something HHN related they said on Twitter(as mentioned by Charles), so i would imagine its to share a property. Not necessarily Mama, but something seems to be shared between the 2 events.

Edited by foREVer56

I also feel the house would fall flat in the execution of the actual monsters...they are tentacle-like beings, and from what I've heard - tentacle based "Creatures" did not work so well in a particular house (and yes I know there were other issues regarding the creatures as in their size being too large)...

2008's "CREATURES" did have tentacle-esque aspects, but yes the costumes were too large for the areas... This was mostly due to the execution, but the house still worked out well due to the cast. However, in regards to tentacles... they aren't that difficult to achieve and actually make work. A&D is currently working on bringing Lovecraft to life and THAT is going to require tentacle action... we've joked already about having a corridor of KY covered tentacles.. it'd be epic (....and a little gross).

Is this a complaint towards it being a possible HHN house... or just in general? Because we've used PG-13 movies for the event in the past, so that shouldn't be an issue. Just curious on what you mean...

....half-naked, sluttastic go-go dancers... just sayin.

No... a "great" zombie house was 2008's Dead Exposure.... or even 2004's Deadtropolis... hell even 2010's Zombiegeddon was better... 2012's TWD house was awful (of course this was also due to AMC's restrictions preventing it from actually being aggressively scary).

Rereading my post today, I meant "good" not "great."

Cthuluh would be my guess (and from what I have heard). I love Lovecraft (but not too excited about anything to do with Cthuluh 'cause that's my opinion). Something more like Re-Animator would be more interesting IMO.

I'll still have to give it a go to make an official opininon on the subject, but as most modern horror films, it just seems ehh...

Again, I will see it to make a better opinion....

Cthuluh would be my guess (and from what I have heard). I love Lovecraft (but not too excited about anything to do with Cthuluh 'cause that's my opinion). Something more like Re-Animator would be more interesting IMO.

Yes... it would be Cthuluh... but A&D might do a combo platter for Lovecraft... we will just have to wait and see what they do when they finally get the chance to do it.

• Like 1

Whenever we get Lovecraft, I hope its soon. I read enough Lovecraft speculation last year to make my brain explode. Thats not to say it wont be a good house because it probably will be.

Edited by Dr. D
  • Like 2

I was thinking about Candy Man for some odd reason and just how that would translate to a house. The first thing my brain jumped to was a section of the house being within the walls. Then the thought of having to go through walls reminded me of the movie: The Tool Box Murders. I don't know how likely either of these houses would be and frankly I don't really care, but a house that goes through passages ways behind the walls would be really awesome. That was one thing about Candy Man that really creeped me out, and I liked that. But, would going through walls and stuff be a little bit too similar to The People Under the Stairs?

^ Just a really random bit of wishful thinking, haha

Got to see an earlier screening this Tuesday. I actually liked it and can see how it could translate into a house fairly well. My only complaint it that it's PG-13.

It is kinda ironic because Guillermo wanted "Don't be afraid of the Dark" to be PG 13. The movie doesn't have anything that is bad or gory, they were trying to make "Don't be afraid" into a PG 13 and they made it R (God knows why,that movie did not deserve an R rating)

And now that Mama seems to be more scary than "Don't" and it gets a PG-13, doesn't really make much sense about the R rating, I remember Guillermo was upset about that, specially because when he wanted to make At the mountains of Madness movie he couldn't prove to the studio it wouldn't be made into an R movie because of Don't be Afraid of the Dark getting the R rating for no real reason.

Creatures was pretty bad, awful actually. That year really had some stinkers... I barely did creatures because of how bad it was.

Creatures was pretty bad, awful actually. That year really had some stinkers... I barely did creatures because of how bad it was.

um... not really. You clearly missed the whole point of Creatures... and the house would've had a completely different vibe if the "creature" costumes fit into their scenes. The house was a B-movie comic book.. so the creature costume failure just made it that much more amusing. Besides, any house that I get picked up & carried off by a scareactor is instantly 10-times better. The house wasnt the scariest or my favorite, but it certainly wasn't god-awful.

And 2008 actually had some of the better houses, so not sure what event you attended. Like Creatures, you probably just didnt understand the concept infront of you...

• Like 1

@HorrorNights John would we ever see an icon again at HHN Hollywood?

@HHNKLOWNZ probably not an original one

If Hollywood does call the shots again this yr then I dont see us doing an icon... I've always said we dont need an icon at HHN Orlando. Granted last yr was the first time in a LONG time we didnt get one and it sorta backfired (I blame all the last min stuff that happen).

The event is to the point where the event sells itself.. The only people who care about an icon are the fans.. I love icons I really do but we really dont need one.

• Like 1

um... not really. You clearly missed the whole point of Creatures... and the house would've had a completely different vibe if the "creature" costumes fit into their scenes. The house was a B-movie comic book.. so the creature costume failure just made it that much more amusing. Besides, any house that I get picked up & carried off by a scareactor is instantly 10-times better. The house wasnt the scariest or my favorite, but it certainly wasn't god-awful.

And 2008 actually had some of the better houses, so not sure what event you attended. Like Creatures, you probably just didnt understand the concept infront of you...

Reflections of Fear ??? Interstellar Terror?? DOOMSDAY?

you must be joking if you thought those were great :lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

I know what the concept for Creatures was, it still sucked, just like BM and IT sucked. They were not great houses, that's what I was talking about. (4 out of 8 were not that good, that's half the houses lol )If there was something great 08 had was scarezones, the scarezones were amazing, We even had the skoolhouse and everything, the streets were really amazing, The Hallow was pretty great too, the other 4 houses were pretty amazing too, but I hated IT and Creatures.

Just because I thought the house was bad doesn't mean I'm stupid like you are implying :chainsaw: lol you are trying to defend a bad house by saying I "just didn't get it" but that's silly lol, the house was just lame . And you seriously cannot defend RF or freaking Doomsday :lol::lol:

Edited by Mr. Black

What with Uni's current focus on attracting the family demographic, a random thought occurred to me on the drive home. Do you think they would apply any part of the "family friendly" scenario to this year's HHN? My thought and hope is a resounding NO, and with the fans clamoring for more blood and guts and Bloodengutz, I would think this is the response of most fans. Anyone have any opinions or insights to the contrary?

• Like 3

What with Uni's current focus on attracting the family demographic, a random thought occurred to me on the drive home. Do you think they would apply any part of the "family friendly" scenario to this year's HHN? My thought and hope is a resounding NO, and with the fans clamoring for more blood and guts and Bloodengutz, I would think this is the response of most fans. Anyone have any opinions or insights to the contrary?

I would really hope that Uni has the foresight not to fix that which isn't broken. Last year was hugely successful (including the sold out night), so I can't see why they'd change the format. They hit the earnings cap, so to speak. Unless they can raise capacity (i.e open 2 parks concurrently), there isn't really much more they'd be able to earn by changing formats (well, besides trying to hit capacity every night).

Additionally, given that kids are not night owls, and parents would have to take them back to the hotel, there would probably be a greater abandonment of the park earlier in the evening. Which means that Universal would lose out on food, beverage, and merchandise sales every night as it got later and families left (rather than crowds of young adults who will stay later). Plus, with it being family-friendly, the liquor would probably go away, and wallets wouldn't open so freely.

Additionally, if they change the format too drastically or too quickly, they risk losing their core market and hurting their overall brand value, especially if the new audience doesn't respond well. While I can't say that this won't happen, there are plenty of examples out there of huge promotional mis-fires and consumer backlash when companies try massive brand positioning shifts like this. New Coke is a perfect example. They're better off adding to it than replacing it, in my opinion. Perhaps with the oft-mentioned notion of opening up the second park with a more family-friendly event.

• Like 4

IMO If they were going to do something "family friendly" I could see them doing something similar to Sea World rather than have a night event for kids.

If you want a family friendly event then go to Disney for Not So Scary Halloween. Leave HHN to the Big boys and Girls. That is all... :freddy::jason::leatherface:

• Like 2

I would really hope that Uni has the foresight not to fix that which isn't broken. Last year was hugely successful (including the sold out night), so I can't see why they'd change the format. They hit the earnings cap, so to speak. Unless they can raise capacity (i.e open 2 parks concurrently), there isn't really much more they'd be able to earn by changing formats (well, besides trying to hit capacity every night).

Additionally, given that kids are not night owls, and parents would have to take them back to the hotel, there would probably be a greater abandonment of the park earlier in the evening. Which means that Universal would lose out on food, beverage, and merchandise sales every night as it got later and families left (rather than crowds of young adults who will stay later). Plus, with it being family-friendly, the liquor would probably go away, and wallets wouldn't open so freely.

Additionally, if they change the format too drastically or too quickly, they risk losing their core market and hurting their overall brand value, especially if the new audience doesn't respond well. While I can't say that this won't happen, there are plenty of examples out there of huge promotional mis-fires and consumer backlash when companies try massive brand positioning shifts like this. New Coke is a perfect example. They're better off adding to it than replacing it, in my opinion. Perhaps with the oft-mentioned notion of opening up the second park with a more family-friendly event.

exactly.

They couldn't have a HHN being family friendly and expect to sell as much liquor as they do can they? I mean HHN can get dangerous with the violence from drunks as it is, I couldn't imagine a family friendly event while at the same time selling so much booze.

I mean, they could but, wouldn't be too wise. Unless they made a dry event which will NEVER happen here lol.

I guess they could take out the gore like they already have been doing and they could change some things.

Honestly, the best bet I see them having of a family friendly Halloween event would most likely be some kind of tie in at Wizarding World. When the London section is finished, and if the connecting train turns out, then both locations would be ideal for a family Halloween event during the day.

Interstellar Terror??

you must be joking if you thought those were great

IT sucked. They were not great houses, that's what I was talking about. but I hated IT.

Clearly you've never seen "Event Horizon"... Interstellar Terror was a loosely based concept on that... which of course ET's ship being "the artifact" causing the ship's crew to go insane. Could the house have been better? yes. But it was still enjoyable.. You probably missed most of the effects- astronaut being sucked out of the ship, the ship exploding (complete with floor drop).. etc

They haven't been taking out the gore... gore is unnecessary. Its a completely wasted aspect (which also applies to overly detailed scenes too) when the houses are so damn dark. The only thing that needs to change is UNI needs to grow their balls back.

um... no. why don't we concentrate on having 8 houses again before even mentioning an extreme house or an asinine idea.

Clearly you've never seen "Event Horizon"... Interstellar Terror was a loosely based concept on that... which of course ET's ship being "the artifact" causing the ship's crew to go insane. Could the house have been better? yes. But it was still enjoyable.. You probably missed most of the effects- astronaut being sucked out of the ship, the ship exploding (complete with floor drop).. etc

^like Liz said.. besides, if they were going to do a family-friendly thing for the younger crowd (which I believe has been tossed around in the past), it would be held at IOA... since they have Seuss and now Potter. Sure they could use the new section when it opens since that area will be more or less separated from the park already when its completed.

You do realize that adults enjoy MNSSHP more than kids right? A lot of parents use their kids as an excuse to attend.

Pfft... dealing with kids causes people to drink more, so im sure their liquor sales would be fine. And just an fyi, there is violence at HHN even without drunks due to people being complete asshats. You'd be amazed at how many people abuse the scareactors & are sober.

They haven't been taking out the gore... gore is unnecessary. Its a completely wasted aspect (which also applies to overly detailed scenes too) when the houses are so damn dark. The only thing that needs to change is UNI needs to grow their balls back.

um... no. why don't we concentrate on having 8 houses again before even mentioning an extreme house or an asinine idea.

something tells me you don't really have a sense of humor lol :lol: I was joking about the family friendly house :rolleyes: Jeez (facepalm)

(I saw Event Horizon and I knew about the house being loosely based. It still was not a good house, just like RF and Doomsday. Like I said, 4 out of 8 were really good only)

Edited by Mr. Black