Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

You get +1 for bees knees.

And Ghost Town was my favorite house for a long, long time. I'd love to see an equally impressive sequel/re-imagining.

Makes me want it even more now! :P

Seems like most of the talk has been about a new show. Rocky Horror would be really fun to see at HHN (since I never got the chance). I don't mind the magic shows, but if they continue them...I just hope the acts are better in a more original, inventive, and fun way. Shake things up a bit.

The Lagoon Show should return...BUT they need to have designated times. It was awkward having to figure out when they were going to play and which one it was going to be...every time they were on, I stumbled upon them by accident. Also - fireworks would be nice, if only on the last show as to not weaken the ambience of the event. Hm...if the fireworks were short and not very frequent throughout the night, I think they could work.

An icon show would also be very great! Jack's Carnival of Carnage shows were awesome!

Now - what about the Festival of the Dead Parade/Nightmares on Parade? That would be really cool to see again, but would that also contribute to lack of sets in the streets? In 2004, I don't remember the parade so I can't speak from my experience. If they can make it happen (and not diminish the street quality), then by god make it happen!

As someone mentioned earlier, a new show would help greatly with crowd control. So, hopefully a new one comes if the crowds for 23 are anything like they were for 22.

Yeah...no. THAT would for sure kill the ambience. Keep the pop music at Bill and Ted...and even there it can take away from the show itself.

• Like 1

I personally dont want to see an icon this yr.. The event can do well without one.

I can go with either an icon or without an icon. I do completely agree with the event being able to do well on its own though. I remember some people being genuinely pissed that there wasn't an icon this year. Sure icons are awesome, but it shouldn't be a deal-breaker...I mean c'mon.

But, with the return of the interactive games for 2013 (LT/HU), the icon will probably be shaped around the games like Bloody Mary in 2008 (if there is an icon).

Even though they couldnt fix all the bugs in time for HU, TJ and Rick still had a lot of fun doing HU and they have so much planned for us too. if they want us to run around the park like manics they well and we the fans will love it.

I'm a BIG fan of icons, Caretaker my favorite, but there is only so much you can do with them.. Hell most people cant event name all the icons. They must have a lot in the offices just collecting dust but they do put icons together.. Lady Luck almost seem like FATE from all we know of her, then again BM looked liked FATE to.. The only true unused icon backstories we know is Cindy and Eddie, even then they change the story lines up.

Saying that and watching Haunts everyday, HHN doesnt need an icon to sell the event.. Most Haunts in the world dont even have icons nor mascots.. They let the Haunt sell itself.. Last yr would have been perfect if everything wasnt last minute (Trust me on that, A LOT was last min).

Also with TJ and Rick in charge of HU and LT I would love to see them putting something in the parks for us to find.. Most members of HU and LT have an AP or they work at UO.

*EDIT* Just to let you know Knott's had the rights last yr to Evil Dead

Edited by DesigningtheFear

I don't have a fav icon...but I tend to lean towards the Caretaker...so that's cool that he's your favorite. :)

But, anyways - yes...I have heard all the stories of all the last minute things. Pretty bloomin' crazy. It makes me really happy to know that A&D has some tricks up their sleeves for us for next year. Running around the park like maniacs was very fun, and I hope to do it again next year. And they have a year, hopefully that will help to fix some of the bugs in the scanners, and also add some of the other scanners that did different things they wanted to add but weren't able to.

And yes, I've been to other haunts and none of them have used icons. HHN can manage without them.

About the unused, I really hope Eddie sees the light of Day (and yes Cindy too). But of the unused icons, Eddie is my favorite. And then maybe we can have the Run house used to its original plan.

I can imagine last year was fairly crazy for A&D in terms of last minute changes/additions. (The synergy between both events, the loss of the Xena building for Transformers.)

As for the whole icon/no icon discussion, I will agree that HHN doesn't need one. However, when it's done right I find it quite nice. For me I feel some of the strongest websites have come from years with icons, though I will say if they don't have a icon...I seriously hope they make the website like 2004's since that was a great website for a year with no icon. Just don't do the bare-bones site of last year.

• Like 2

Bill & Ted may be tradition, but so were true scare zones until this year. I've heard more comments in the park like "Who are Bill & Ted?" this year than I have in year's past. Honestly does any kid growing up now or let's say the past 10 years really care who Bill & Ted are? Unless there is a true sequel or a decent remake, this is only going to get worse as the years go on!

It draws the die hard crowd cause we know what it's about and get to see the show evolve over the month, sometimes for the better. We know what it's about. For the GP, it's just another show to sit down at if crowds are insane, to rest, or to drink. Maybe to me Pop Culture isn't what it used to be, 85% of the movies that come out suck, only a handful of good TV shows, and music.. well, I like Rock/Hard Rock.. not much into Pop/Rap, so I could care less there! And even that music hasn't been that good!

Give me a true horror/scary related show (don't have to be ICON/event based) as a replacement.

Drew Thomas @ Jack's show was the last cool magic related show! I'd take something like that if a show HAS to be magic based.

Take a "main stage" style show, put it in the FF theater, and it'll be go time! Time for a change, or at least a "trial run" (ie: "Experiences").

B&T died in 2006 for me! I see it once and that's enough!

• Like 2

Despite us "hating" it, Universal realized that IP's sold tickets and that people hated the marketing. I think it's inevitable we'll see a large IP come to the event, but it will be marketed differently.

People had mixed emotions on hordes, some found them scarier, others found them less so. Hordes however worked, I think we'll see 3 hordes and 3 scarezones this year.

Seven houses probably won't happen this year, I think people were too pissed off about that one. I'm expecting house 8 to come back.

Universal spent a lot of money on the technology for the lagoon, I expect something to return there. I hope they actually put showtimes in the guide though.

Construction won't be as bad, atleast there won't be light bleeding in NY.

• Like 1

Hordes however worked, I think we'll see 3 hordes and 3 scarezones this year.

If this were the case, I'd rather see hordes around the lagoon (Simpsons/MIB, Central Park/Kid Zone, San Francisco, etc.) and scarezones in New York, Production Central/Shrek (will it still be known as that once TF opens?) Alley and Hollywood/Mel's.

Edited by AWeed

i do not believe they will do hordes this year. Maybe a leading horde that connects all the scarezones together ( like a main character) but with all the whining on facebook, i do not believe they will do just hordes. Maybe they'll split it up 3 scarezone/3 hordes, hopefully they have 8 houses this year, but that might not be possible :mellow: ...

and does anyone know if IOA is out of the question? i understand their is less lands they can use ( Suesslanding and HP) but maybe they can fit more houses? Is their any chance of using two parks? I didn't go to HHN when they did the 2 parks, and i heard its a nightmare, but i always wanted to see how they could do that and how you can walk almost 2 full parks with all the waits

Bill & Ted may be tradition, but so were true scare zones until this year. I've heard more comments in the park like "Who are Bill & Ted?" this year than I have in year's past. Honestly does any kid growing up now or let's say the past 10 years really care who Bill & Ted are? Unless there is a true sequel or a decent remake, this is only going to get worse as the years go on!

I know many people my age who haven't even heard of the movie "Bill and Ted" but i did hear they are making a Bill & Ted 3, i believe to come out at the end of the year, or maybe next year. The first time i have ever seen Bill & Ted was last year before HHN! I always knew them, just never sat and watched the whole movie.

Those calling for a Dia De los Muertos house. Knotts did one. Granted its Knotts but you get the idea. (props to DTF for posting on FB). Pics and a write up at Theme park adventure

Also, in slightly related news... Pixar has plans for a movie based on the Day.

pixar-concept-dead.jpg

That vid was pretty good actually, I liked it a lot. I liked that they used animated props as well I was surprised about that. Wish I could have seen that in person thanks for sharing the vid! pretty awesome.

Good point. I guess if the traditional scarezones changed, then anything really can. It will probably just come down to how willing they are to change anything else.

My mom showed me Bill & Ted when I was in grade school, and so I have known about them for awhile. And whether you grew up with them or not, the die-hard fans know of them and the show. So, it's hard to imagine what the show must feel like to those not in the know/GP. I do recall at one point during 22, a group of girls were asking the usher at B&T what the show exactly was - and he explained it okay: It's a comedy pop culture show. Even with that (which is what the show is), the girls didn't seem to get it. I don't know, maybe they were of the ditzy variety. But, yes it is hard for the GP who don't know to understand what it's all about.

Now that I think of it, B&T has really become something for the hardcore fans now and not the GP. As the event come closer to the end, I swear half the audience was the fans (because half the audience recited every single one-liner from the show).

I hated that scarezones changed, but now I love the hordes.

I would be really sad to see B&T go (even though it's pretty weak now), but who knows maybe something else better will replace it, similar to the hordes. If I had my way, B&T would stay (with better writing), and a new horror show would be added, and a third show (a GOOD magic show or Rocky Horror, or whatever).

Makes you think - if scarezones changed in 22, what else could change in 23? Probably not everything we want, but one step at a time I guess (if anything at all).

Yes, there is a chance for it to be at IOA - TJ has already said that both parks are always in consideration. IOA (if it ever is used again), will most likely be used for something based around fantasy. So there is always a possibility for it to be used.

Edited by TsunamiFox

It draws the die hard crowd cause we know what it's about and get to see the show evolve over the month, sometimes for the better. We know what it's about. For the GP, it's just another show to sit down at if crowds are insane, to rest, or to drink. Maybe to me Pop Culture isn't what it used to be, 85% of the movies that come out suck, only a handful of good TV shows, and music.. well, I like Rock/Hard Rock.. not much into Pop/Rap, so I could care less there! And even that music hasn't been that good!

Give me a true horror/scary related show (don't have to be ICON/event based) as a replacement.

Drew Thomas @ Jack's show was the last cool magic related show! I'd take something like that if a show HAS to be magic based.

Take a "main stage" style show, put it in the FF theater, and it'll be go time! Time for a change, or at least a "trial run" (ie: "Experiences").

B&T died in 2006 for me! I see it once and that's enough!

Well, Bill and Ted should become relevant again real soon (probably not in time for HHN2013, but most likely for 2014.) "Bill and Ted 3" has already been confirmed and announced, with Dean Parisot of Galaxy Quest fame set to direct. Preproduction is set to start sometime late spring to early summer after Dean has completed post production on "Red 2"

• Like 1

I wasn't sure if this should be here (it's more wishful thinking than anything else), if it doesn't I apologize and please move it or delete it.

With the possibility of LT vs. HU, and King K.'s information regarding a more fantasy related event for the use of IOA, I can't help but speculate about two parks.

LT more reality based inside the Studios.

HU Legions more fantasy inside IOA.

Just a thought, and probably pure wishful thinking on my part.

• Like 4

Well, Bill and Ted should become relevant again real soon (probably not in time for HHN2013, but most likely for 2014.) "Bill and Ted 3" has already been confirmed and announced, with Dean Parisot of Galaxy Quest fame set to direct. Preproduction is set to start sometime late spring to early summer after Dean has completed post production on "Red 2"

that means nothing really. Bill and Ted might become more popular but that won't make the show any good. It really gets worst every year. I don't know how but it gets more lame. Perhaps it has to do with pop culture becoming completely moronic lately (jersey Shore, honey boo boo etc)

I don't really see how the new bill and ted movie will make the show any better. I'm just saying, we need a better show.

So - is there any reason we (they) can't drop the "roaming" from the hordes, and have set horde scarezones? I think something similar was mentioned earlier, but - best of both worlds? Still no safe zones, though - please!

Hordes ftw! With special love to my Strengoit of course.

And to whomever suggested Repo! as a show for this year - that is just sick and odd enough to be a really fabulous idea.

• Like 4

I wasn't sure if this should be here (it's more wishful thinking than anything else), if it doesn't I apologize and please move it or delete it.

With the possibility of LT vs. HU, and King K.'s information regarding a more fantasy related event for the use of IOA, I can't help but speculate about two parks.

LT more reality based inside the Studios.

HU Legions more fantasy inside IOA.

Just a thought, and probably pure wishful thinking on my part.

Very, very neat. A&D has had thoughts before of a 2 park event, both parks with different themes, so that could be a possibility. With HU in IOA and LT in the studios, that would really be awesome. That could probably the difinitive and potentially one of the best HHN's ever. But, I wonder if all that would confuse the GP. Newcomers may not know what LT and HU is and that would confuse them a lot. But whatever, this is wishful thinking, so I'm going to have fun with these thoughts. Thanks, Mysti. :P

On a side note, I always expected them to do another 2 park event, but some of my friends amongst the community talked me down from the idea and said to forget about it happening. Unfortunately, I did. A 2 park event may not be as likely (for all I know at least), but to dismiss the idea completely doesn't make much sense. With that being said, I do think there will eventually be another 2 park event. BUT, I always figured that when they did it again, it would be in 2014 (10 years after the first time they did it - 2004). Do you think they would be more apt to doing it on the original 2 park anniversary year? Thoughts?

• Like 1

I have a fairly simple want that I really hope we get for 23: Behind the Screams or Production Die-Ries.

We all want a better site with more interactivity other than just the games, and I really think having the Behind the Screams or Production Die-Ries return would really benefit the online experience.

Oh good... i've been itching for a good way to blow off steam (especially after the 1 Year Anniversary of the loss of The JAWS Ride)....

that means nothing really. Bill and Ted might become more popular but that won't make the show any good. It really gets worst every year. I don't know how but it gets more lame. Perhaps it has to do with pop culture becoming completely moronic lately (jersey Shore, honey boo boo etc)

I don't really see how the new bill and ted movie will make the show any better. I'm just saying, we need a better show.

B&T doesn't get worse and worse every year. This year the show was done by someone new (Jason Horne), last year it was done by Patrick Brailard, before that it was Mike Aiello, before him Kenny Babel, etc etc.... If you want to complain about the show sucking, blame the one who wrote & directed it. Want someone else to bitch at? Then bitch at the higher-ups/legal department who say "we cant do that. that cant happen".

But DON'T blame shitty movies, tv or music on the show not being as good as previous years. The casts every year work their asses off to make the best of what they're given. This year was no different. Our show might not have been up to par this year, but that was due to the writer/director. Had we done a similar show as Hollywood, 90% of you would be fapping about how it was "the best show since ____"..

And yes, B&T 3 will actually help the show out because it will make the two characters "relevant" again. Which apparently is the issue for anyone under the age of 21... for the record, Bogus Journey was the better movie (for those who are unaware, that'd be B&T 2).

Even with this year's show not being as good, the rule of the B&T show is to see it multiple times, no matter how much you might think it sucks... just like what they tell young/closeted gays- "Don't worry, it gets better". Guess what, it DOES get better. This is due to improv from the cast or noticing little things here/there you didnt before.

B&T doesn't need change... nor does it need to be removed from the event. It'd be like Knott's suddenly getting rid of "The Hanging" after all these years.. Good luck trying to find a worthy replacement that can be easily adapted year after year (let alone actually be NEW), provide lulz & an arsenal of qoutes for a year.

Besides... instead of worrying about the quality of B&T, i'd be more focused on whining about the sheer lack of entertainment Universal doesn't bother providing for their annual event. There is no excuse for HHN not having a show in all 3 theaters, something in the street like Death Drums (use the dummer float from HOP if you have to), something on the Kidzone stage (small freak show?), and of course the lagoon. I'd even say shove something inside HMU & T2 if needed. The fact that HHN is going on its 23rd year and they only have 1 guaranteed show... well its ridiculous.

• Like 3

I think LT will be part of the event. Why? Because on Nov. 4 I checked Horror Unearthed's website, and- OH! Look at that, the wall has been sealed up by no one other than LT, thus the fencing off and signage.

Well I would love to agree with you on this I really do but the people who come up with house concepts have nothing to do with HU..

HU and LT are fan base games and are put together by a small group of people (most of the time its 2 people). I could be wrong about all this and they tie in LT and HU into houses but at the same time it might be through games and other ways. Which again the people who tie them in are the same people who do LT and HU.

2 parks was on table very late last yr, I herd it was still on the table as of March. Which sorta makes since cause the hordes fit IOA better then the studios.

On the subject of hordes, please remember they still have a daytime parade...