Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

Hate to break it to you original house lovers, but IPs will be back next year and for many years to come. I think this past year proved that original content doesn't sell as well as the properties do. Just take a look at HHN 21 vs 22 in terms of crowds. They're not going to ignore the huge fat wad of cash in their pocket.

I'm absolutely for anything that uses traditional Halloween motifs or iconography. I'd still love to see Esqueleto Muerte make it into a house. Dia de los Muertos has some great visual appeal that you could base a great house around.

I'm a huge fan of the "classic/traditional" Halloween and would love to see this. I'd also like to see a Trick or Treat-themed house, which hasn't been done in a very long time.

Bill and Ted was great this year, and I think they're taking steps in the right direction to getting back to a 2006-level show. It's tradition. It won't be going anywhere.

But starships were meant to fly. Let's do this one more time.

Also, Corey, you forgot something in your video. It's not the "Top Four Essentials", its the Five. You forgot booze. There will be without a doubt massive amounts of booze at HHN 23.

Edited by Coast

In recent discussions I've seen about locations for an eighth and maybe ninth house, I don't see any mention of additional tents as had been tossed around before. While I know soundstages are preferable for multiple reasons, does anyone in the know think that another tent is out of the question now? Is all the construction/expansion eliminating possible locations for a third tent house? That is - is Uni running out of space? I thought I had seen elsewhere that Uni was attempting to re-acquire some of the surrounding property, so I may be thinking more space is there than what really exists.

So, anyway, the wishful thinking for me, again, is 8 - 9 houses. Even if someone has to pitch a tent.

• Like 1

In recent discussions I've seen about locations for an eighth and maybe ninth house, I don't see any mention of additional tents as had been tossed around before. While I know soundstages are preferable for multiple reasons, does anyone in the know think that another tent is out of the question now? Is all the construction/expansion eliminating possible locations for a third tent house? That is - is Uni running out of space? I thought I had seen elsewhere that Uni was attempting to re-acquire some of the surrounding property, so I may be thinking more space is there than what really exists.

So, anyway, the wishful thinking for me, again, is 8 - 9 houses. Even if someone has to pitch a tent.

I think the Carnage Warehouse would make for a nice new house location, all they would have to do is reroute SS 22's queue and exit and have SS 23 in use- which would allow for them to just use the Grad Bash pathway. This would allow for a possible scare zone location as well as provide a great way to spread out crowds. They would not only be lured to the the house and scare zone,but with Doom and Spiderman in operation, more rides too.

They cant use more SS due to the simple fact they film in them, as well there used for storage.. Universal Entertainment rents out the SS from Universal Production. Rumor has it we had 7 has it cause one of the extra SS has stuff in for some upcoming projects. Plus if you put to many houses in the SS the whole front of the park will be a cluster and a half... I do have a wish list though but its not that long.

Website: Let TJ and Rick have control of the site again like they did from 2003 - 2010.. Granted we wont see a site like 2005 every again (IMO the most interactive one they every done). One of the reasons why 2010 - 2012 sites arent that good is cause marketing wants a basic site where people can see what the houses/SZ are and get there tickets.. The GP doesnt want to see all the back stories, hell most people didnt know all the houses were in the park they just knew the main 2 (SH and TWD). So let the interactive come back, in a form of games or clickable stuff.. Each house this yr had a BIG back story like yrs past but you didnt know it cause TJ and Rick couldnt put it on the site.

Houses: I dont mind IP's but dont over do it like Hollywood, give us a perfect balance and I'll be happy. Also bring back the blood, Im not talking about over the top gore, but blood.. The last few yrs the houses are less and less bloody.. We know they have blood day but you dont see it. Also when designing a house please find out how many SA will be in the house.. In the last few yrs I've seen so much dead space in houses. Heck look at Foresaken and Blood N Gutz, giant rooms with one or 2 SA.. This past yr TWD was empty in a lot of spaces. In 2011 POE was staff correctly but then again it was a house that was on the shelve since 2008. (P&T is another prime example how staff a house was)

Also give us an Extreme house... This has been in the works for a LONG time and its time they do it. Granted HOS only breaks even every yr with it and Knotts did one and it got rave reviews. I think its time for UO to step up and actually prove there the top Amusement Haunt in the country (more on that later).. So come on Corp let A&D try one out.. If it doesnt work then oh well, you wont know til you try.

Hype: Dont hype so much on the event, we know you want people to come but people will come no matter what at this point.. But your marketing it as the greatest thing in the world and clearly its not.. I seen other haunts do so much better with no marketing budget.. I read on the HHN FB page this yr a lot of people were coming out of state to see HHN and they were very disappointed.

Crowds: Please put a cap on ticket sales.. Enough said

That is all.. For now

• Like 1

Doesn't matter to me if a house is IP or original. If done right (IP: Nightmare on Elm Street: Dreamwalkers, Wolfman; Original: Catacombs, Saws n' Steam), who cares? As for street (experiences), all I'll care about is if they can all go anywhere like last year (or at least within a certain range of traditional streets).

• Like 2

I'm absolutely for anything that uses traditional Halloween motifs or iconography. I'd still love to see Esqueleto Muerte make it into a house. Dia de los Muertos has some great visual appeal that you could base a great house around.

A Dia de los Muertos house has already been done at Knotts, so I wonder if they'd do it at UO. I'd love to see it regardless. The EM scarezone from 2010 is possibly one of my favorites because it was very aesthetically pleasing, creepy, and very fun/awesome.

Yes...perfect. If done in that style (take it very seriously), it could potentially be a very beautiful and scary house.

• Like 1

Some things I would like to see this year:
- A icon definitely. With this icon i'd like a much better back story unlike the garbage one we got for 22.
- The return of the moving scare zones, YES! I LOVED the roaming scare zones, but i'd like more mirroring of the old scare zone style.
- Definitely the return of the lagoon experience, probably one of my most favorite extra addition to HHN. I hope they keep it :)
- Please! I hope the construction will be done with and more space to move about.
- Return of Alice COOP! I loved the AC house.

Just some more of my comments on things others have said.

1.) A cap on ticket sales is something many have said after the large crowds of 2012...such a simple idea...hopefully it's something they employ.

2.) Kat, during the summer of 2012 (when most people figured there was only going to be 7 houses), I also pondered them constructing another tent. It's a good question: could they build a third tent? But, that question leads to more questions. Is there enough room? If so, then where would they build it? I think most of us would assume near the other two tents, but would this cause congestion? Desiging the Fear made a good point on how if there were more SS houses, the front of the park would be very clustered. If a third tent was built near the other two, would that area Kids Zone/Men in Black become congested as well?

3.) 9 houses...that sounds awesome, but is there enough budget for it? Someone mentioned on this site before: would they have a 9th house to make up for 22's loss? I would only want a 9th house if they did it out of sheer want and love, not just to make up for the loss.

4.) A fine ballance of originals and IP is fine with me. BUT, this can become shaky as well. The properties have to be of genuine interest or just good properties in general (and also how A&D handles them effects their quality as well). Some feel they didn't really understand the Silent Hill property for example. But this is just becoming nitpicky. So, final verdict: IP's and originals...but don't let the IP's dominate the event. 2 is fine, 3 at the most (and this goes with the full 8 houses). 2 at the most if 7 houses. Just my opinion.

Someone also said that the focus on Uni's other construction projects could slow 23 down like it did for 22. This is possible, but hopefully (now that they know what happened with 22), they can avert it for 23. Also...now they have a full year to plan for an 8th house. So I'm fairly optomistic for an 8th, but won't be completely heart-broken if there isn't an 8th house.

Edited by TsunamiFox
  • Like 1

Just a FYI A&D supposedly gets the same budget every yr but it does go up if they can justify it... Like by adding a new house. TJ has always said 8 was the magic number of houses at HHN.

And I believe (hope) that last year proved it.

They also said 6 sz... but that got thrown out the window. i agree though 8 was better balanced.

I didn't have any trouble with seeing houses last year however.

I concur on B&T. I just don't care about it. I've been dragged every year since I can remember and I always leave feeling bored.

This year was terrible. IDK if I'm just out of touch with the music and pop culture.. But I didn't get half of the jokes and the ones I did felt like:

"Oh hey... This happened this year! Isn't it clever we referenced it?"

But then again, I'm not sure what kind of show I would actually want to see.

I never bothered to see 20 penny... as magic is kind of boring too.

The Pandemonium show in... '97 was fairly interesting... kind of like LA Nouba.

But I think ultimately a show dealing with the icon or theme might be promising... Much like the Director show, Terra Queen throne, Sweet 16 Icon show... etc.

I still want my Willy Wonka house (with a simulated boat ride). Cordyceps/fungus zombies, Urban legend/cryptiod house, a "The Hallow" 2 or traditional house, Scary Tales 4, another Prison inspired house, another Wild West inspired house, A winter Windego house, etc, etc...

What I predict:

The houses that were scrapped (Chupacabbra, AWIL) may see the light of day.

A Mamma house: We got the trailer at HHN and it's a universal Picture. Only thing is it comes out this month... so will it be good enough to hang around till October?

A zombie house based on Christmas.... Hey why not at this point? No one has done a Christmas zombie story. It would be a funny house clearly as zombies are jumping the shark but they are still popular so I bet we see them again.

If they make a deal with TriStar... Evil Dead

• Like 4

Evil Dead is my favorite horror film of all time. That would be the bees knees you guys! The bees knees! But again, Knotts has also done an Evil Dead house as well. Not sure if that would diminish it's likeliness or not.

And JW, the houses you'd like to see are spot on! I went into Ghost Town when I was in elementary school so I don't remember much, seeing something similar would be neat. I believe it was HHN In Photographs that listed Ghost Town has the house they wish would get a sequeal for HHN 30 Day Challenge. I'd be up for that! :)

The Hollow 2, and another prison house, gah! These all sound really good. Hope to see these in the near future.

• Like 1

What do I want to happen at HHN 23?

Okay, let me step out of the shadows for a minute and give my two cents worth.

I want what many of you have already mentioned...

1. More original house themes, scare zones and backstories
  2. An Icon
  3. Storylines for the Icon and houses
  4. A truly interactive, captivating and SCARY website that keeps me wanting more and coming back daily to see what's new.
  5. The return of LT or HU
  6. A combination of set sz's & roaming sz's or just set sz's
  7. The return of No Safe Zones
  8. 8 houses
  9. More sound stage houses those are always quality houses.
  10. 1 or 2 shows besides B&T. (Repo? P&T? RHPS? Magic show with Icon where tricks go wrong and there is blood/gore or something? LOL!)

I still want my Willy Wonka house (with a simulated boat ride).

I would LOVE a Willy Wonka house; done the way Roald Dahl wrote it...DARK. MWAHAHA!

"Not a speck of light is showing so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of Hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing for the rowers keep on rowing and they're certainly not showing
any signs that they are slowing."

Edited by Sakura
  • Like 3

They also said 6 sz... but that got thrown out the window. i agree though 8 was better balanced.

I didn't have any trouble with seeing houses last year however.

I concur on B&T. I just don't care about it. I've been dragged every year since I can remember and I always leave feeling bored.

This year was terrible. IDK if I'm just out of touch with the music and pop culture.. But I didn't get half of the jokes and the ones I did felt like:

"Oh hey... This happened this year! Isn't it clever we referenced it?"

But then again, I'm not sure what kind of show I would actually want to see.

I never bothered to see 20 penny... as magic is kind of boring too.

The Pandemonium show in... '97 was fairly interesting... kind of like LA Nouba.

But I think ultimately a show dealing with the icon or theme might be promising... Much like the Director show, Terra Queen throne, Sweet 16 Icon show... etc.

I still want my Willy Wonka house (with a simulated boat ride). Cordyceps/fungus zombies, Urban legend/cryptiod house, a "The Hallow" 2 or traditional house, Scary Tales 4, another Prison inspired house, another Wild West inspired house, A winter Windego house, etc, etc...

What I predict:

A Mamma house: We got the trailer at HHN and it's a universal Picture. Only thing is it comes out this month... so will it be good enough to hang around till October?

A zombie house based on Christmas.... Hey why not at this point? No one has done a Christmas zombie story. It would be a funny house clearly as zombies are jumping the shark but they are still popular so I bet we see them again.

We are in desperate need of a new show (or shows)

I guess Bill and Ted is tradition and even though I usually hate the show it would make me sad to see it go.

I really DON'T want more magic Shows. Seriously, no more.

I would love a dark show with dancing and maybe singing, but something very dark. I would love to see something with props and costumes. Something with lights, smoke, something worth going to. We might not ever get that but that is my wish for HHN.

Dead drums was an okay beginning but it was hated. I am afraid that the hate Dead Drums got means we will never seen anything like it again.

I just don't understand what is it so hard about putting on a good show. can't be impossible can it? HOS makes them every year.

I am afraid that the hate Dead Drums got means we will never seen anything like it again.

It actually got good guest feedback. The only reason that they didn't return is because the bases for the drums were converted into bases for one of the floats in the Superstar Parade. I actually enjoyed them and it didn't take away anything from the event really, just wish it would've been much longer.

• Like 1

It actually got good guest feedback. The only reason that they didn't return is because the bases for the drums were converted into bases for one of the floats in the Superstar Parade. I actually enjoyed them and it didn't take away anything from the event really, just wish it would've been much longer.

oh okay. Seemed like everyone here hated it.

I want to see Dead Drums come back on a stage. That would be good enough.

Evil Dead is my favorite horror film of all time. That would be the bees knees you guys! The bees knees! But again, Knotts has also done an Evil Dead house as well. Not sure if that would diminish it's likeliness or not.

And JW, the houses you'd like to see are spot on! I went into Ghost Town when I was in elementary school so I don't remember much, seeing something similar would be neat. I believe it was HHN In Photographs that listed Ghost Town has the house they wish would get a sequeal for HHN 30 Day Challenge. I'd be up for that! :)

The Hollow 2, and another prison house, gah! These all sound really good. Hope to see these in the near future.

You get +1 for bees knees.

And Ghost Town was my favorite house for a long, long time. I'd love to see an equally impressive sequel/re-imagining.

• Like 1

I would love to see icons again. I would like to see the usher return, but i know that is unlikley. A new non magic show.

I know for a fact that constuction will affect flow in the simpson area. With the flat ride constuction and the new restraunt, it can cause some flow issues. though i can see the resturaunt or flat ride being done by HHN time.

What I predict:

I firmly believe American Werewolf will show up. It's fully developed, fits as a Universal "100 Years of Horror" film, and both coasts seemed to have plans for it.

As for your other two movie ideas... I think we would see Rob Zombie's "Lords of Salem" before either of those films show up.

• Like 1