HHN 22 Speculation

This thought as to why 23 isn't being used occurred to me: could they be using 23 for Grinchmas this year? It was in 20 the past 2 years and i don't think they'd have enough time to tear down 2 houses and build the stage in a month.

If they were going to follow the same layout as 2008, SS23 would be used for queue lines.

If they were going to follow the same layout as 2008, SS23 would be used for queue lines.

but why wouldn't they just use 23 as the houses? there has to be a reason for that. 2008 was setup that way due to construction on HRRR/Stage. there's no construction back there which wouldn't stop them from using 23, unless they were using it for filming or a show in this case.

Steven King has been working on a sequel to The Shining for quite some time, and apparently it's finally due to hit bookshelves in January of 2013. It's called Doctor Sleep. For those who have read anything by King before, particularly the source material in this case, you can see how different this book's tone and construct is going to be from its predecessor. Frankly, I don't see this book doing tremendously well with the general public, and I definitely don't see it translating into anything related to HHN.

The Shining has been brought up numerous times on these boards over the past few years, usually in the Wishful Thinking threads, and the sentiment stated above is pretty accurate: The Shining has great potential, but King is never going to give his blessing to an entity like Universal to turn it into an attraction. As a side note, King greatly disliked Kubrick's film, and if you've seen the 1997 TV mini-series then you know King's greater involvement on that project didn't even make it comparable, let alone better, than Kubrick's adaptation.

The only way I could see Steven King ever being affiliated with HHN would be through some unfortunate contractual loophole with a movie studio, and even that I don't think is entirely realistic.

I'll definitely look into the book; I love Stephen King, though his work gets a little repetitive. If you've read The Stand and IT, you've read just about all of his horror books. What I meant is that a sequel in the Overlook would be ridiculous, considering the hotel is destroyed in the book.

I thought the mini-series was pretty good, as far as a faithful adaptation goes, but I also thought Kubrick's The Shining was better than King's. King's is almost boring in comparison. I still don't see how The Shining (either version) could translate well into a house at HHN. The mood of isolation is hard to create in a congo line.

• Like 2

So I'm hearing a lot of rumors flying back and forth. Some I like... some I don't.

But it seems a lot of things keep transitioning back and forth. When it's all said and done... we know SOMETHING will be in the fog at least.

It'll all work out in the end I'm sure

Keep Calm and wait for HHN :)

• Like 2

mask-image is a CSS property used for overlaying transparency or textures above text/images. It basically overlays a .png image above whatever class you specify. Things like gradual fades, gradients and dirty/grungy textures can be accomplished with masks.

If you look at the css you'll see this:

#homepage h1{

font-size: 42px;

line-height: .8em;

-webkit-mask-image: url('images/mask.png');

-o-mask-image: url('images/mask.png');

-moz-mask-image: url('images/mask.png');

mask-image: url('images/mask.png');

So the mask was intended for the homepage header (h1 = header). The CSS then clearly specifies the image URL for different web browsers (webkit=safari/mac, o=opera, moz=mozilla/firefox and the normal mask-image is for IE).

If you want to learn more about mask images or see what they can do, you can read here:

http://trentwalton.c...ask-image-text/

https://developer.mo...bkit-mask-image

Edited by NickC
  • Like 1

I assure you Universal Creative knew about Halloween Horror Nights and knew a house was going in that location. This isn't on Universal Creative, my guess is that Creative was given the green-light on a Blue-Sky project that they more than likely never expected to get into fruition. Comcast more than likely wanted an intermediate attraction for before the Jaws replacement and gave this the go-ahead last minute and just came up with a time-table. Ultimately, an attraction will churn more profit than a haunted house and when you look at it from that perspective it makes sense to do it now instead of later.

The event will survive, and I'm sure it will be great this year. At the end of the day, we'll all go and most of us will enjoy it. Universal knows that HHN turns enough profit annually to keep it around, but they also know that it's a seasonal event and is only around for 6 weeks.

I know thats a good positive attitude,

but is not fair, we might get 6 houses, and bad scarezones, (well not bad but, scarezones with not a lot of props or anything, scarezones like Nightmaze

of course people will come, HHN wont go anywhere, I guess we had 6 houses before, it just feels so wrong, like going back we don't know anything for sure, we might get the 8 houses or something (which we wont) just feels sad, like, things were going so good, yeah is not the End of the World or anything, but is like taking a step back, which is not great

I'll say one thing this "New Era of Darkness" seems to be sucking so far lol. maybe they should have left things alone the way they were before FEAR lol.

I wonder what type of house was going in that building being demolished, I wonder if they will let us see it next year or will they Can it for good,

Edited by black mask
  • Like 1

Universal is not remaking The Shining or making a sequel. The Shining's already been remade and nothing, no matter what, could or will ever live up to Kubrick's masterpiece. A sequel is just... ridiculous. And I'm pretty sure Warner Bros still has the rights.

However, a poll for HHN did mention The Shining, which does add some credit. I still highly doubt it, considering it's a Warner Bros movie and it's Stephen King, who has explicitly said he doesn't want his books made into houses. Maybe we'll see The Shining, but not The Shining, but it looks like The Shining? I highly doubt it, though.

I did read recently that Stephan King is WRITING a sequel to the The Shining. What does that have to do with HHN? Probably nothing but if youre a fan its pretty cool. I just bought The Shining to read recently so its fresh when the sequel come out.

mask-image is a CSS property used for overlaying transparency or textures above text/images. It basically overlays a .png image above whatever class you specify. Things like gradual fades, gradients and dirty/grungy textures can be accomplished with masks.

If you look at the css you'll see this:

#homepage h1{

font-size: 42px;

line-height: .8em;

-webkit-mask-image: url('images/mask.png');

-o-mask-image: url('images/mask.png');

-moz-mask-image: url('images/mask.png');

mask-image: url('images/mask.png');

So the mask was intended for the homepage header (h1 = header). The CSS then clearly specifies the image URL for different web browsers (webkit=safari/mac, o=opera, moz=mozilla/firefox and the normal mask-image is for IE).

If you want to learn more about mask images or see what they can do, you can read here:

http://trentwalton.c...ask-image-text/

https://developer.mo...bkit-mask-image

There goes nick crushing my dreams of that. The only reason we thought that it was something was just because it said mask. Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by AhHsCaRyMoMmY

I wonder what type of house was going in that building being demolished, I wonder if they will let us see it next year or will they Can it for good,

All I can say is don't expect to see any heroic twins, or feathered serpents this year, and that sucks goats. Which there won't be any of this year either.

All I can say is don't expect to see any heroic twins, or feathered serpents this year, and that sucks goats. Which there won't be any of this year either.

So, instead of getting Greek mythology, we're NOT getting Mayan/Aztec/Ancient Mexican mythology? If so, that does suck goats.

Dr. Jimmy just posted in the Construction Discussion that since 44 is being demolished not to expect any "feathered serpents" this year. A quick google search brought up that the Mayans had a god named Kukulkan who was a feathered serpent. Could he be telling us that 44 was supposed to be a Mayan themed house and now we will not have one?

• Like 1

but is not fair, we might get 6 houses, and bad scarezones, (well not bad but, scarezones with not a lot of props or anything, scarezones like Nightmaze

of course people will come, HHN wont go anywhere, I guess we had 6 houses before, it just feels so wrong, like going back we don't know anything for sure, we might get the 8 houses or something (which we wont) just feels sad, like, things were going so good, yeah is not the End of the World or anything, but is like taking a step back, which is not great

I'll say one thing this "New Era of Darkness" seems to be sucking so far lol. maybe they should have left things alone the way they were before FEAR lol.

i agree 100%, altho i think the first yr (hhn 20) was my favorite yr so far (i dont have many to choose from) but compared to the past 2 yrs and hearing everything of this yr, im extremely dissappointed... they need to step their game up, be proffesional and get their stuff together. but who knows, i know i work better under pressure than when it is planned ahead, so maybe thats what they need but from what im hearing about lack of space, house locations, themes, it sounds bad. im scared its gonna be dissappointing this year

A shame, I imagined a chupacabra house/SZ would've re-used the Day of the Dead costumes from a couple years ago. In a better context I imagine they could be frightening.

ETA: Dr Jimmy, are the twins gone because of SS 44's demolition? Conventional wisdom was this meant a dual run house, which everyone pegged in one of the side soundstages, not 44.

Edited by SeventyOne

If this proves to be the case, then Universal is going to have to scramble to throw some kind of value-adds into the park. New shows, open up Marvel Island again, maybe beg Rowling to use WWoHP. Down 2 houses and Jaws and however much sidewalk space due to construction, they need to eat up crowds somewhere. I suspect every goth magician on the east coast has their phone ringing today.

Plans definitely did change and are still changing. However I'm liking the direction that it may be going instead.

However the tagline might be interesting for this year:

" Results may vary "

" Subject to change "

" Eh... we don't know either"

• Like 9

i have a funny feeling all this mishap with the houses and everything is just a way to f with us... i just cant get it out of my head that they actually know what theyr doing and already have had everything planned out and arent pressed for time... who knows, was the ss44 permit filed specifically for HHN use?

Heroic twins?? Were Hansel and Gretel twins? That movie is out soon is it not

Scratch that.... Mayan heroic twins were Hunahpu and Xbalanque got to have been a mayan house

Edited by Thehappymason

Plans deathly did change and are still changing. However I'm liking the direction that It maybe going instead.

However the tagline might be interesting for this year:

" Results may vary "

" Subject to change "

" Eh... we don't know either"

I'm reading into your first line. Can I assume that there will still be 7 houses and they are just trying to figure out the logistics of it all? Or something different and outside the box. I'm not asking you to give up all of your info, just a bit more than you did B)

As for the rest you gave me a much needed laugh today, Thank you.

Marvel and Potter aren't being opened because they're in IOA. the event's in USF. i expect at least DM, HRRR, MIB, Simpsons and hopefully 11 more ride to kill the drowds a little. HMU i'd think would be an obvious choice every year since the show is about horror. About JAWS, nothing is pulling people to the JAWS area due to the lack of house/ride. World Expo will most likely be a major clusterfuck this year. Although with WD being in Disaster!, there's probably gonna be a long stream of people heading that way throughout the night.

My point on Marvel (or even Potter) is that they will have to start thinking "outside the box" to increase capacity. They relied on Marvel unexpectedly once before, when tickets were oversold (rumor is whomever calculated capacity failed to take into account all the admissions sold in Publix before selling out the park at the gate). It's not ideal--more like a last ditch desperation move--but it is one thing that would draw casual HHN fans off the streets on peak nights.

Otherwise I largely agree with your--HMU seems an obvious choice, if they can work around the kid jokes and the drunks. Not sure DM will be open just because it is such a kiddie ride, but it will still be relatively new and shiny. I agree Simpsons would help, but that's just one somewhat tired ride. I think shows in AA and BJ would help as well. But it's largely a case of being creative and finding capacity.