HHN 22 Speculation

Warning: rage ahead, need to get it off my chest. Feel free to skip the post entirely. u////u

I'm still in a state of "none of this is what I wanted" right now, but I'm trying to keep up hope...

As I said before, as long as there's at LEAST one good, thought out, original storyline for a house or scare zone I will be happy to experience it. But as it seems right now, I haven't seen TWD, I hate Alice Cooper, and don't even get me started on Penn and Teller (if they replace the Icon somehow for this year, I will never forgive those responsible). Silent Hill is cool, but, again, not original. I guess the Gargoyle thing could be ok, but, with my luck, it's the one they couldn't do.

Unfortunately, as of now, it honestly looks like this year will be a terrible first year for me, especially if the event has no bloody Icon.

I don't understand if this is your first year why so mad about no original content? some of the best houses in HHN history were movie houses, or were based on movies, the Jason house and Leatherface were amazing, The Forsaken house was based on the fog, really really amazing sets,

I wouldn't be so mad if I were you, yes its cool when there is original houses but I believe Silent hill will be amazing, i really think so, is going to be really scary, as for Alice Cooper, I don't think you have to like his music to like the house, is a horror house, is like a horror movie house,

If the rumors are true and I have no reason not to believe they are true then I'm both disappointed and excited.

I'm excited for The Walking Dead. As far as I'm concerned it's the best show on TV and I'm all for it.

I'm all for Alice Cooper. He is an icon in metal and he's always been influenced by horror and horror has been influenced by him so I think that house will be cool.

Silent Hill, Meh I don't know. I'll give it a chance but I haven't really played the games. From what I know it has the potential to be a cool house. It's something we've speculated about for years and obviously they've listened. In that aspect I'm happy. I feel they are giving us something a lot of you have wanted for a long time and I'm all for giving the fans what they want.

Gargoyles could be a great house. It's an original idea and I'm all for original. I'm sure the scares will be good in that house. You'll never know what is a prop and what is a scareactor so I really think this house could be good.

Victorian mansion, I'm torn, it could be great but when I think of a Victorian mansion I think 2 story house, we all know they can't do a 2 story house. I think the facade for this will be amazing. As for the rest I just don't know what to think. It's another original idea so I'm looking forward to it.

Dead Exposure I hated the original house and honestly don't care to see it back. It does nothing for me.

That brings me to Penn and Teller. They have nothing to do with horror. Obviously this is the comedy house. It could go either way but I'm leaning towards absolutely hating this idea. They are funny and I love the Bullsh!t show. I just don't see what they bring to a horror themed event/haunted house. Could be good but absolutely does nothing to make me look forward to the event any more.

As a whole I like the ideas except for the 2 I mentioned. What will make the event for me is the scarezones. I read on another site that we may only have one official zone and I really REALLY hope this isn't the case. I hope that info is false. They can easily move props in each night and have 6 zones. If they only have one it will absolutely ruin the overall feel of the event for me. I love the atmosphere and without it, it's just the studios at night with some haunted houses mixed in.

I would laugh my butt off if Pen and Teller make this amazing house that becomes everyone's favorite lol :lol: that would really make me laugh, I doubt it of course, but it could happen, and it would be funny, I think the idea sucks, but, what if they have a couple of tricks up their sleeve and make a really good house? a really gory house? seems like their trick jokes involve blood and gore, so maybe we see a funny but sick house, maybe,

omg I really hope the scarezone for Silent hill in the streets has the nurses outside, I know they will save Pyramid head for the house Smiley-Begging.gifLOL

concerning all the negativity surrounding the houses: nobody has experienced them, seen drawings, or know little to no details about any of the houses. Alice Cooper was one of(if not the) highest rated house of last year. P&T can have illusions in every room, maybe to distract you as a scareactor comes out to scare you, or it could be made to just be an awesome experience not made for scares. Just like a comedy house isn't geared mostly towards scares. Silent Hill and WD are popular horror series with major potential given A&D's track record of turning horror series into houses. No one knows for sure until they see it their selves. 5,6 and 7 are original concepts with potential to be very scary given their description. If 7 is anything like DE was, it will be very hard to beat scare wise. Complaining about the theme of a house will do nothing. It says nothing about the actual house itself. I for one am excited for all of them as they've never been tried (with the exception of 7 and to an extent 6). AC looks very awesome.

• Like 1

Warning: rage ahead, need to get it off my chest. Feel free to skip the post entirely. u////u

I'm still in a state of "none of this is what I wanted" right now, but I'm trying to keep up hope...

As I said before, as long as there's at LEAST one good, thought out, original storyline for a house or scare zone I will be happy to experience it. But as it seems right now, I haven't seen TWD, I hate Alice Cooper, and don't even get me started on Penn and Teller (if they replace the Icon somehow for this year, I will never forgive those responsible). Silent Hill is cool, but, again, not original. I guess the Gargoyle thing could be ok, but, with my luck, it's the one they couldn't do.

Unfortunately, as of now, it honestly looks like this year will be a terrible first year for me, especially if the event has no bloody Icon.

Trust me dude your first year will be good no matter what anybody on this board says, we're all just crazy avid fans that love to analyze each and every point to the whole event, to the point where if we had he space the money and time we could create an event better than hhn lol but once you experience it you'll realize no matter what the houses are uni will make it great and you will have your opinions but no house any where will compare to the time and effort usf puts into the house that was last on your list of good and bad houses

• Like 1

I would laugh my butt off if Pen and Teller make this amazing house that becomes everyone's favorite lol :lol: that would really make me laugh, I doubt it of course, but it could happen, and it would be funny, I think the idea sucks, but, what if they have a couple of tricks up their sleeve and make a really good house? a really gory house? seems like their trick jokes involve blood and gore, so maybe we see a funny but sick house

I'd love it if P&T prove everyone wrong it'd be great. If they prove me wrong I will give them their props for sure.

I have to agree and disagree with you foREVer56. People can express their dislike for the premise of the houses without going through them. What they can't do is say the house sucks outright without going through it. Not being impressed by the house list and not being impressed by the actual house are 2 totally different things. I for one am not impressed by the idea of the P&T house but will go into it with a totally open mind and as I already said I hope they prove me wrong. The truth is nobody has any clue what the event will be like until after we've been through the houses ourselves.

I'd love it if P&T prove everyone wrong it'd be great. If they prove me wrong I will give them their props for sure.

I have to agree and disagree with you foREVer56. People can express their dislike for the premise of the houses without going through them. What they can't do is say the house sucks outright without going through it. Not being impressed by the house list and not being impressed by the actual house are 2 totally different things. I for one am not impressed by the idea of the P&T house but will go into it with a totally open mind and as I already said I hope they prove me wrong. The truth is nobody has any clue what the event will be like until after we've been through the houses ourselves.

Totally, Im in the same boat you are, you can't judge a book by its cover

If anyone's interested, here's a walkthrough of the alice house in hollywood, possible spoilers if a&d lifts any of these concepts, although I really hope they re-design most of the scenes and really make it their own. I've seen clips of their thing house from last year and it was significantly different from ours...

• Like 1

Are these 7 cryptic statements that were given the official themes for the houses or is it still pure speculation? Because honestly this line up seems pretty ok, manly because the Alice Cooper House. That seems like a great way to incorporate some "horror theme" or "weird and creepy" music artist at HHN. Hopefully a sign that we may see others such as Rob Zombie and Marylin Manson. As for the Penn and Teller house, didn't they say they weren't going to perform at HHN or would it be a house with there tricks and perhaps we see them in the que line video (if there is one) .

Well sure. But "smart" and "hilarious" aren't exactly what I'd be looking for in house material. I guess the problem I'm having is that I can't really see how this translates into a house. I feel like it'd be an awesome show, to be sure, but house? Hmmm.

It's not going to be Penn and Teller: The Haunted House, if I had to guess. But their warped sense of humor translates perfectly into the "comedy" house of the year. I'm not worried at all.

It's not going to be Penn and Teller: The Haunted House, if I had to guess. But their warped sense of humor translates perfectly into the "comedy" house of the year. I'm not worried at all.

Actually...a house where Penn and Teller played characters of some kind would be kind of neat.

Are these 7 cryptic statements that were given the official themes for the houses or is it still pure speculation?

As for the Penn and Teller house, didn't they say they weren't going to perform at HHN or would it be a house with there tricks and perhaps we see them in the que line video (if there is one) .

It's not pure spec... Many come from multiple sources.

I would guess they would just be queue videos, audio, or other prerecorded media.

In regards to Silent Hill (I'm a huge SH nerd):

Anyone interested in the SH wiki I couldn't post it earlier. (was buying a car).

Here is the link

If I was a betting man and they end up finalizing this house, I would bet SH3/Revelations will be the theme as the movie (Revelations) is coming out which is based on SH3. The game (and the movie) are based on the protagonist Heather's ventures through Silent Hill.

I don't want to ruin the plot of the movie/game but the basic synopsis is this:

Set 17 years after the events of Silent Hill in which Harry Mason defeats the god of the town cult and is given a baby girl to care for, Silent Hill 3 focuses on Heather, a teenage girl who finds herself being drawn into Silent Hill's alternate reality. She discovers that the cult plans to use her to birth their god, and becomes caught in a conflict within the cult.

The scenes involved many twisted places (mall, Lakeside Carnival, hospital, etc.)

The best way to describe Silent Hill is a place of grey, foggy, limbo that is constantly shifting into a personalized Hell for it's inhabitants. This is controlled by an angel/demon named Valtiel and is signified by an air raid horn before the transformation. It has a lot of similarities to the philosophy of the movie "Jacob's Ladder"

The monsters are disturbing symbols of the characters inner conflicts (typically derived from guilt).

Ultimately the stories lead up to a confrontation with the personification of their fears and guilt.

Pyramid Head (A.K.A. Red Pyramid and The Bogeyman) is a main figure in the stories and is the personification of judgement and punishment. The nurses, lying figure, and grey child are all favorites as well.

Anyway that's probably more than you wanted to know... but if not check the wiki... I find it incredibly fascinating and disturbing.

• Like 1

This year's HHN is shaping up to be an awesome one. Alice Cooper, dead exposureesque house, silent hill, Waalking Dead, and my favorite dudes Penn and Teller!!! Not so bad if you ask me, and those bashing Alice Cooper, his house at Hollywood was the best and highest rated one (I walked through that house and can't wait to see Orlando's version. Too bad rob Zombie's house isn't in the linup, oh well, hopefully next year.

i know this is still speculation and things might change and we might see something else

I really hope we do get a silent hill house and scarezone, it would really piss me off if either the rumor was false or worst they scrap it, that would really make me mad, the rest i dont mind, the ones i really want to see is Walking Dead and Silent hill, that would make me happy

I really wanna see Alice cooper because I'm a huge fan of metal music and alice cooper seems like a sick show to see, put it in a house and im in. I'd love to see the original concepts come to life. But i don't think the gargoyle house is going to happen, I think that clue has to do with the lake show , as much as I want there to be a cool house with gargoyles in it that clue just shouts water show to me, even though I know I'll get chewed out for this one lol I just don't wanna get my hopes up. Things will deffinetley change just look how theyve gone in the past.

I have a question guys. Why were the "twins" house and the Mayan house scrapped? I understand that the Mayan house was supposed to be in Building 44, but couldn't they have just moved it to another Soundstage or tent? I really don't think theyd let the opportunity of having a Mayan house slip with it being 2012 and all.

The "Twins" house was scrapped a while back and was replaced with another... which the Doc Hinted at as "sucked goats"... but then the building was destroyed and the house was moved. Ideas are scrapped/shelved all the time... hence why they don't tell the public prematurely.

But if the house was designed for 44.. it may have been easier to redesign a different house.. or they felt something else would have a bigger draw. There really could be a multitude of reasons which we may or may not ever find out... but It doesn't mean the house is scrapped for good... Usually when we do find out... it is because they have decided to scrap it once and for all.

If anyone's interested, here's a walkthrough of the alice house in hollywood, possible spoilers if a&d lifts any of these concepts, although I really hope they re-design most of the scenes and really make it their own. I've seen clips of their thing house from last year and it was significantly different from ours...

Hawthorn you are correct. As someone who has been through all three "The Thing" houses, the house at USH was significantly different from our two USO interpretations.

USH and USO really are two very different events, and unless you attend both it's a little hard to understand. The USH product is a grittier and in some ways more intense event. The "The Thing" house was a very good example of the difference between the two events, in the USH house they did have some very in your face scares that you didn't see at USO. We've been to both events with non horror fans, and the USH product definitely "bothered" them more.

The best way maybe of explaining it, is to simply say this... We generally view the USO event as Wes Craven horror and the USH event as Rob Zombie horror. Two different and equally valid styles of horror. Even though USH has used properties in the past that would fit Wes Craven style horror we generally view them as being done through a Rob Zombie lens.

Their is a reason that SAW, Hostel, and House of 1000 corpses have been featured at USH. There is also a reason why USH has felt in not compulsory to have an icon every year. You basically trade a more in-depth storyline on one coast for a more in your face event on the other. In all honesty based on crowd reactions, both coasts we believe are largely very happy with their product and would likely not be willing to trade it for the other.

If we do see Alice Cooper at USO this year as it appears is very likely, it is even more likely it will have very little semblance to the USH house of last year, and we think largely both coasts will be equally pleased.

• Like 3

Hawthorn you are correct. As someone who has been through all three "The Thing" houses, the house at USH was significantly different from our two USO interpretations.

USH and USO really are two very different events, and unless you attend both it's a little hard to understand. The USH product is a grittier and in some ways more intense event. The "The Thing" house was a very good example of the difference between the two events, in the USH house they did have some very in your face scares that you didn't see at USO. We've been to both events with non horror fans, and the USH product definitely "bothered" them more.

The best way maybe of explaining it, is to simply say this... We generally view the USO event as Wes Craven horror and the USH event as Rob Zombie horror. Two different and equally valid styles of horror. Even though USH has used properties in the past that would fit Wes Craven style horror we generally view them as being done through a Rob Zombie lens.

Their is a reason that SAW, Hostel, and House of 1000 corpses have been featured at USH. There is also a reason why USH has felt in not compulsory to have an icon every year. You basically trade a more in-depth storyline on one coast for a more in your face event on the other. In all honesty based on crowd reactions, both coasts we believe are largely very happy with their product and would likely not be willing to trade it for the other.

If we do see Alice Cooper at USO this year as it appears is very likely, it is even more likely it will have very little semblance to the USH house of last year, and we think largely both coasts will be equally pleased.

So basically what you're saying is even though we get more houses each year in Florida, when it makes the move from Cali to fla it gets watered down? I mean we did have saw and hostel both which I Thought sucked so I guess you're right. I'd hope they don't switch them up to much when it comes to the Alice house and I would love to see a rob zombie house. Could that "when I'm joking I can be quite serious" statement be referring to a house of a thousand corpses house or devils rejects house? I mean we all know the nature of those films.

Edited by FreeGrizzlyBearRides

well saw was done here and Hostel was done here kind of,

I do wish we got a House of 1000 corpses house, I really wish that, i keep waiting for them to do it here

well saw was done here and Hostel was done here kind of,

I do wish we got a House of 1000 corpses house, I really wish that, i keep waiting for them to do it here

It would be the inverse of what I had previously mentioned regarding Wes Craven horror type houses done at USH.

In the last five years basically take the most gritty house that USO has done add an exponent using a per house variable, and spread it over the entire park and that is the difference.

It's likely see that trend continue with a potential Alice Cooper house on the horizon.

So basically what you're saying is even though we get more houses each year in Florida, when it makes the move from Cali to fla it gets watered down? I mean we did have saw and hostel both which I Thought sucked so I guess you're right. I'd hope they don't switch them up to much when it comes to the Alice house and I would love to see a rob zombie house. Could that "when I'm joking I can be quite serious" statement be referring to a house of a thousand corpses house or devils rejects house? I mean we all know the nature of those films.

It does. Orlando's HHN is a mass-market event. It's selling point is the quality of its sets more than anything else. There are countless haunts, nation-wide, that are scarier, more innovative, and arguably "better" than any house Universal has put out the last few years. The size of our event forces it to be more accessible to the general public.

And "Joking/Serious" means Penn and Teller. Dr. Jimmy has all but confirmed it. Continuously trying to decipher them is a waste of your time.

And "Joking/Serious" means Penn and Teller. Dr. Jimmy has all but confirmed it. Continuously trying to decipher them is a waste of your time.

I don't understand why everyone is still trying to decipher the codes. JW spelled it out for everyone a few pages back. I think everyone's speculation focus now should switch to what we will see in the houses that are happening and what the scarezones will be and where they will be. To continue to worry about the "clues" is a waste of time.

• Like 2

And the horses have changed. The process has changed. The event, and the company, are much bigger than they were back then. There's more involved, and more invested, in it. That was my point. I've seen massive changes just at the Scareactor level between when that was filmed and the way it's managed now. Do not take a ten-year-old travel documentary as gospel.

concerning all the negativity surrounding the houses: nobody has experienced them, seen drawings, or know little to no details about any of the houses. Alice Cooper was one of(if not the) highest rated house of last year. P&T can have illusions in every room, maybe to distract you as a scareactor comes out to scare you, or it could be made to just be an awesome experience not made for scares. Just like a comedy house isn't geared mostly towards scares. Silent Hill and WD are popular horror series with major potential given A&D's track record of turning horror series into houses. No one knows for sure until they see it their selves. 5,6 and 7 are original concepts with potential to be very scary given their description. If 7 is anything like DE was, it will be very hard to beat scare wise. Complaining about the theme of a house will do nothing. It says nothing about the actual house itself. I for one am excited for all of them as they've never been tried (with the exception of 7 and to an extent 6). AC looks very awesome.

What some people need to realize is that as the event keeps getting bigger and more profitable for UO each year, there will be more executive decisions been made over the HHN A&D team, like new houses, security concerns or censorship restriction. I'm sure A&D had 8 pretty original house concepts by January, and we'll be lucky if we see half of those concepts make it to the actual event. Hell, they even replaced last year's A&D original icon just because it was too gory, so to them it wasn't marketable and it wouln't look good on billboards, so they came with the Lady Luck concept at the last minute. But that's ok, that's the nature of this business, and it happens every year.

Maybe when they said this "new era" would only have original concepts they meant it, but again they don't have the final word. There's always a new movie that has to be promoted (e.g. the thing, the wolfman...), or a new partnership that will drag more people to the event (e.g. fangoria, TWD, P&T), or make them buy a t-shirt or a mug. Things like TWD or Silent Hill draws large crowds, not original ideas. At the end that's all that matters to UO, make each year more profitable to them.

That been said, it doesn't mean that this year's going to suck. I really trust the HHN A&D team, and I know they will not disappoint us. We had great original houses on past years, but we also had great movie-based houses. Some Houses/SZ that had great concepts ended up being a big flop, and some of those that looked really lame on the board ended up being that year's event big surprise. I know they'll deliver and I'm all for this house list, just be open minded and wait to see the final concept and how they'll tie everything together, it's too early on the game to have an opinion on that. BTW if you've been around for a while you know some people have sources, that's not mere speculation, people like JWFearrman and Dr. Jimmy prove it each year, while it's true that we can see some changes from this stage to the final event, I'd take notice on their comments.

What I'd really be concerned about is where are they going to fit the 7th house, how are they going to manage the people flow around the park, how many scarezones we'll have and their locations. I was thinking that maybe if they fit 3 of those SZ in the back, people will have a reason to be there besides B&T. The Amity hallway is wider than last year's Canyon of Dark Souls, put the appropiate music, lighting, fog and throw the chainsaw drill team on the top of that and you'll have the hell of a scarezone.

I was in the park yesterday and I saw SS44. It's in pretty bad shape right now, there's no way that thing can be demolished, built up again and have a house built inside in time for HHN. That's just not gonna happen (I'll post some pictures later). I'm really hoping they come out with a new permit this week. At the end if we only get one crappy house out of 7 I'll be pleased, it happens every year, often more than one...

Edited by Ely