HHN XX Discussion

Okay, why did they pick Paris and Marseille (Pronounced MAR SAY) for The Catacombs? They are on completely different sides of France. Marseille is in the south right on the edge by the water, and Paris is up north, almost all the way up north. In Paris there are miles and miles of real Catacombs from the Plague, but Marseille is just so far from Paris. Anywho, I think the house will be great, from what I've seen and heard about the real Catacombs.

Edited by DROOG

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't see these posted, but here are some basic points from the conference call yesterday: (all credit goes to Destination:Theme Park, thanks for these!)

The following notes from the August 26th HHNXX Conference Call were posted on Destination: Theme Park

---

Earlier today, we had the opportunity to join Universal’s TJ Mannarino (Director of Art & Design for Entertainment), Patrick Braillard (Show Director of Entertainment) and Mike Aiello (show director of entertainment) in a conference call discussing Halloween Horror Nights XX. We hung up the phone and some fun facts that we’d like to share with you.

I don’t want to go into a long transcription of the entire conference call, so I thought I would sift through my notes and give you some useful bullet points that were discussed during the call regarding this year’s event. The following is a paraphrase and/or direct quotes from the call:

Goals for HHN XX

* HHN XX’s main purpose is to pave the way for future HHN events

* To pay homage to all the previous events which have brought HHN XX to us today while introducing more terrifying new characters

* Find the haunted houses, scarezones and characters that will be the future Psychoscareapys, Body collectors of the future, icons like Jack, etc.

* Take HHN XX back to the beginning where it started with original characters and to start the process of beginning originality again

Fear

* More to be revealed about the Fear character within the next few weeks. We will learn more about how he links back to HHN events

* The goal of Fear was to have it be an all-encompassing character that would visually stand out from the other icons and would have a presence of control over the other characters

* Fear has always been consistent and has always been at the event

* Fear has now been brought to life and has been given a persona with this event

* We will be able to “See it, Feel it and Taste it (in the shot glasses)!”

* The advertising campaign with Fear’s mouth is a play on the phrase Being Consumed By Fear

* When you look back at past events (purposeful or not), there is something that links each event to something else. That common thing is Fear.

* Icon relationships with fear: Jack instills fear. The Caretaker examines fear. The Storyteller speaks fear. The Director captures fear. The Usher shows us the way to fear.

The Lantern

* It is a part of who Fear is.

* Mike: “The Lantern is Fear and the Fear is the Lantern.”

* It represents the past 20 years

* It represents the fear that has been building for the past 20 years.

* It represents many of the visuals that you will see when you go to HHN XX.

* It is a physical embodiment of the fear that’s been building for the past 20 years.

Paying Homage to the Past

* There will be two major attractions that will pay homage to the past: one House and one Scarezone

* Past characters will be seen in both areas.

Changes

* They are changing up flare for the event and the houses and are saying goodbye to some of the houses… at least for a few years.

* No Rocky Horror Picture show at least for the next 2 years. Mike: “Could it come back in 2 years? Yes.”

New Special Effects

* Lots of experimental special effects technology will be used this year.

* Open flames will be incorporated. This is something that has never been used before within the houses.

* The Legendary Truth house will have new gags and effects that have never been used before.

Legendary Truth House

* Idea/Content was created 2 years ago, but due to the inability to use certain gags and time restraints for R&D, it was put on the shelf; until now.

* Mike: “It is a haunted maze which truly is a haunted maze.” They want to give guests a truly haunted experience.

* New gags never seen before will be used in this house in order to give the illusion of real paranormal encounters.

The Family Tree

* As the creation of the event progressed, it kinda fell off the table.

* Trees don’t have any significance in the event this year aside from the root-like attributes on the lantern and Fear himself.

Miscellaneous Points

* This year will be more intense with more fear, scares and gore.

* There will be one comedic toned house. “But it’s not the house you think it is.”

* Bill and Ted will always be at HHN.

* Cindy finally has her own house – the Orphanage

* “Best time to experience the event is on a non-peak night.”

* “No creature is off limits as far as what you may see in the streets or in the houses.” Que: “Does that include Bloody Mary?” TJ:”I stand by my statement”

* Several different opportunities that guests can choose from to stay entertained in the queue area for the haunted houses. “It will be much more expansive than in the past.”

* We may see some intellectual property characters (i.e Wolfman) in some of the houses. But they want to start the process of showing off their original creations such as Jack and the Storyteller.

* It is Mike’s last year working on Bill and Ted.

* Bill and Ted will have the same structure and include pop culture references. This year’s story concept for Bill and Ted: Bill and Ted may face possible replacement (in the story) and they will find themselves in an odd predicament.

* Universal Orlando and Universal Hollywood are completely different. The only thing that is slightly similar is the Bill and Ted show (the script is sent to Hollywood, that’s it).

I listened to that conference call and I have to say... I am pumped. I wasn't initially but after hearing them speak about the event and the reasons they did what they did I am very pleased. This whole BM thing has me very intrigued. I am curious to see how she will be used. They said Fear has control over the other Icons which I can see but idk how he could control Bloody Mary. I'm thinking he lost control of her. Maybe he has shown up this year to find BM? I think they could have one hell of a story line. I was also wondering what everyone thinks about this statement "There will be one comedic toned house. But it’s not the house you think it is.” What house do you guys think it may be?

I was also wondering what everyone thinks about this statement "There will be one comedic toned house. But it’s not the house you think it is.” What house do you guys think it may be?

I think Mike could have been alluding to one of two options. Either he is assuming that we think Psychoscareapy will be a comedic house due to its prior incarnations and ZombieGeddon will actually be the comedic house OR he's read the speculation about how most are assuming that ZombieGeddon will have a comedic tone. In that case, I don't know which house will have the comedy.

I might be overthinking it a little but how do you figure they'll pull off open flames in Hades? No saying it can't be done but it just seems like such a hazard. I have a feeling its going to be an effect during the first 2 weekends then get taken out.

Thats a really good idea. I don't know if they'll use an open flame in Orfanage, Hades, or maybe even both.

In Orfange, we could just be surrrounding by the aftermath of the fire. But in Hades, they could go for an entirely dark sort of thing. (I remember reading somewhere once that in Greek myth, there weren't "flames" in Hades, just eternal painful darkness. I could be completely wrong; it's a very dusty memory of mine but I thought I would bring it up all the same.)

I might be overthinking it a little but how do you figure they'll pull off open flames in Hades? No saying it can't be done but it just seems like such a hazard. I have a feeling its going to be an effect during the first 2 weekends then get taken out.

I thought the open flame would be for the orfanage, but yeah I was wondering about this, but they have to make it safe, I sure hope that they don't take it out after some weeks or something

I think he is assuming we think its Zombiegeddon which is what I thought. Do you think maybe Havoc?

yeah that's what I thought, Havoc, what else could it be? catacombs...?

I would think they would do firebars like they use in film. They're easy to control and would give lots of spread fire effects (I say relatively easy to control but that is how the set of The Thing burned partially down!) I doubt we're looking at big firebursts like in scarezones. Just something where you see it and feel the heat. If need be they could put them behind glass or something we wouldn't notice so its actually out of harms way. That seems more likely.

Or even maybe similar to the fire type effects in The Mummy ride (the ceiling of fire) that effect seems very easily contained and controlled and puts off a ton of heat.

Edited by jmorri26

I thought the open flame would be for the orfanage, but yeah I was wondering about this, but they have to make it safe, I sure hope that they don't take it out after some weeks or something

yeah that's what I thought, Havoc, what else could it be? catacombs...?

The open flame thing has me really intrigued. I can't imagine one of the soundstages having it because it would almost impossible to vent the smoke out. Just a little bit of smoke can take hours to get out of the bigger SS. I can't imagine an actual fire and the smoke it produces siting in an enclosed area.

That would cut the possibilities in half. I don't see how it would fit, thematically in Zombiegeddon. I would be most appropriate in the Orfanage, though again you run into spacing concerns. I think, if this really going to happen, it would mean that some of the houses have outdoor scenes, similar to Maximum Carnage in 2002. Once you exited the building, there were still scenes outside. This could happen with both Sprungs and Orfanage, but I'm thinking it would be in Havoc.

The open flame thing has me really intrigued. I can't imagine one of the soundstages having it because it would almost impossible to vent the smoke out. Just a little bit of smoke can take hours to get out of the bigger SS. I can't imagine an actual fire and the smoke it produces siting in an enclosed area.

That would cut the possibilities in half. I don't see how it would fit, thematically in Zombiegeddon. I would be most appropriate in the Orfanage, though again you run into spacing concerns. I think, if this really going to happen, it would mean that some of the houses have outdoor scenes, similar to Maximum Carnage in 2002. Once you exited the building, there were still scenes outside. This could happen with both Sprungs and Orfanage, but I'm thinking it would be in Havoc.

But something clean burning like propane or butane wouldn't put off smoke.

But something clean burning like propane or butane wouldn't put off smoke.

True. I normally associate those with smaller fires, which is why I didn't consider them. I'm having a hard time envisioning how this will work. If they use glass to separate the guests from the fire it kinda kills the impact. It's the same with a small, controlled burn. If they are using the fire-blasts outside, anything smaller than that inside is going to feel rather "ho-hum" to me.

Guest FL Universal Jax

Venting a flame is possible in soundstages as well as other structures. Also, if anyone has visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter this year, especially at night time, you have probably seen different color flames. Meaning pure red or blue flames. It seems that Universal is now using different gases that burn in different colors.

As far as venting goes, in order to vent an open fire you only need a 4 inch pipe, after the openin flue.

This is a new effect, so I think Universal can pull it off. Afterall, they did say that they were using several brand new effects and gags this year.

With regards to the open flame, TECHNICALLY it's not the first time they've used it in a house. Terror Mines in 2005 had bursts of flame, but to be fair that was part of the Poseidon's Fury show where the maze was located, so that's always there. As for actually adding fire into a house though, I get the feeling that it's going to be one of those effects that gets removed after a while, like so many have in the past.

I feel the fire will be in Orfanage...

Now also, in greek mythology Hades is NOT equivalent to the Christian Hell, it is not a place of torture and it is just the place land of all dead, virtuous and not and was just gloomy and misty.

Later was introduced the ideas of a judgement and three sections of Hades The Asphodel Meadows (the land of the neither virtuous or evil, also the first place you arrive in), Elysium (blessed island of heroes) ,and Tartarus which is "as far beneath Hades as heaven is high above the earth.", In ancient Orphic sources and in the mystery schools Tartarus is also the unbounded first-existing entity from which the Light and the cosmos are born. In Hesiod's Theogony, c. 700 BC, the deity Tartarus was the third force to manifest in the yawning void of Chaos. Tartarus is also the resting place of many of the titans and the cyclopses and Typhon. But even Tartarus is not a fire filled hell... but instead a dark gloomy pit with more psychological tortures.

I feel the fire will be in Orfanage...

Now also, in greek mythology Hades is NOT equivalent to the Christian Hell, it is not a place of torture and it is just the place land of all dead, virtuous and not and was just gloomy and misty.

Later was introduced the ideas of a judgement and three sections of Hades The Asphodel Meadows (the land of the neither virtuous or evil, also the first place you arrive in), Elysium (blessed island of heroes) ,and Tartarus which is "as far beneath Hades as heaven is high above the earth.", In ancient Orphic sources and in the mystery schools Tartarus is also the unbounded first-existing entity from which the Light and the cosmos are born. In Hesiod's Theogony, c. 700 BC, the deity Tartarus was the third force to manifest in the yawning void of Chaos. Tartarus is also the resting place of many of the titans and the cyclopses and Typhon. But even Tartarus is not a fire filled hell... but instead a dark gloomy pit with more psychological tortures.

I agree that I think fire will be in the Orfanage (they flat out said its about a burned up orphanage and it just fits)

I think though, they're not going to delve that deeply into Greek Mythology as you went into. At it's core, if one was to try and make a Hades the mass of people would see and easily recognize, I'd think they'd focus on the 5 rivers since many people can recognize images of Charon in his boat, the river Styx, etc. I think they'll do a Cerberus, since many recognize the 3 headed monstrous dog. And while you're right that the fire and brimstone type hell most people think of with Hades isn't going on down following the Greeks, its what the majority of people think of when you say Hades. Even the logo they creates had hints of firey light cast on the stone. So I do think there will be a firey, hell like element to it but not to the extent that people expect little guys with pitchforks and horns to be running around.

If the fire were to be used in a soundstage and there was smoke, they could easily filter the smoke out. I work for TNA & they use pyro. They have a door at the top of the soundstage around the ceiling that they keep open at all times during the show where the smoke escapes. As soon as the pyro goes off, the smoke gets sucked out of that door. So, it's possible. I don't think that Universal would put in an effect that would lead to it being taken out after a few weeks. They would have to get any flame gag approved first by a fire safety crew. Just my opinion.

I too see the flame either being in the Orfanage or at the entrance to Hades.

Also, open flame doesn't mean big huge fire. It could be a small flame or a big flame. Size wasn't specified.

Didn't see these posted, but here are some basic points from the conference call yesterday: (all credit goes to Destination:Theme Park, thanks for these!)

The following notes from the August 26th HHNXX Conference Call were posted on Destination: Theme Park

---

Earlier today, we had the opportunity to join Universal’s TJ Mannarino (Director of Art & Design for Entertainment), Patrick Braillard (Show Director of Entertainment) and Mike Aiello (show director of entertainment) in a conference call discussing Halloween Horror Nights XX. We hung up the phone and some fun facts that we’d like to share with you.

I don’t want to go into a long transcription of the entire conference call, so I thought I would sift through my notes and give you some useful bullet points that were discussed during the call regarding this year’s event. The following is a paraphrase and/or direct quotes from the call:

Goals for HHN XX

* HHN XX’s main purpose is to pave the way for future HHN events

* To pay homage to all the previous events which have brought HHN XX to us today while introducing more terrifying new characters

* Find the haunted houses, scarezones and characters that will be the future Psychoscareapys, Body collectors of the future, icons like Jack, etc. ("A New Era Of Darkness" we have here. Indeed.)

* Take HHN XX back to the beginning where it started with original characters and to start the process of beginning originality again

(As I said)... God I am so hyped for this event.. I am actually struggling financially right now, I pray to god I can salvage the money.

Fear

* More to be revealed about the Fear character within the next few weeks. We will learn more about how he links back to HHN events

* The goal of Fear was to have it be an all-encompassing character that would visually stand out from the other icons and would have a presence of control over the other characters (Called it)

* Fear has always been consistent and has always been at the event (Just not in solid form)

* Fear has now been brought to life and has been given a persona with this event

* We will be able to “See it, Feel it and Taste it (in the shot glasses)!”

* The advertising campaign with Fear’s mouth is a play on the phrase Being Consumed By Fear

* When you look back at past events (purposeful or not), there is something that links each event to something else. That common thing is Fear.

* Icon relationships with fear: Jack instills fear. The Caretaker examines fear. The Storyteller speaks fear. The Director captures fear. The Usher shows us the way to fear.

..... Bloody Mary?

The Lantern

* It is a part of who Fear is.

* Mike: “The Lantern is Fear and the Fear is the Lantern.”

* It represents the past 20 years

* It represents the fear that has been building for the past 20 years.

* It represents many of the visuals that you will see when you go to HHN XX.

* It is a physical embodiment of the fear that’s been building for the past 20 years.

Paying Homage to the Past

* There will be two major attractions that will pay homage to the past: one House and one Scarezone

* Past characters will be seen in both areas.

Changes

* They are changing up flare for the event and the houses and are saying goodbye to some of the houses… at least for a few years. (Thank god.)

* No Rocky Horror Picture show at least for the next 2 years. Mike: “Could it come back in 2 years? Yes.” (Well that's at least 2 years of Transvestite-free HHN)

New Special Effects

* Lots of experimental special effects technology will be used this year.

(Fan Boy Squeal)

* Open flames will be incorporated. This is something that has never been used before within the houses.

(If they are in Orfanage I just wanna be the first to say.. Called it!)

* The Legendary Truth house will have new gags and effects that have never been used before.

Legendary Truth House

* Idea/Content was created 2 years ago, but due to the inability to use certain gags and time restraints for R&D, it was put on the shelf; until now. (I think that was a smart decision)

* Mike: “It is a haunted maze which truly is a haunted maze.” They want to give guests a truly haunted experience.

* New gags never seen before will be used in this house in order to give the illusion of real paranormal encounters. (Like I said early this morning.. I get a 'Paranormal Activity' Vibe)

The Family Tree

* As the creation of the event progressed, it kinda fell off the table.

* Trees don’t have any significance in the event this year aside from the root-like attributes on the lantern and Fear himself. (Ah,. I get the LT puzzle now.. I think. (The roots covering FEAR's body were going to be the roots of the 'Family Tree'.. I like that idea)

Miscellaneous Points

* This year will be more intense with more fear, scares and gore. (Another Fan Boy Squeal)

* There will be one comedic toned house. “But it’s not the house you think it is.” (Hmm. Intriguing... I believe he is confusded on which one we think is our assumed comedic house... But if not; I think Havoc could be pretty fun, if pulled off right. I already speculated them using the robot puppets here.. Creatures was the laugh house in 08.. 'Creatures!' with a military theme?. Maybe ZED are pissed of zombie hunters.. I mean if you've seen the Pwn shop pics you know what I mean.)

* Bill and Ted will always be at HHN.

* Cindy finally has her own house – the Orphanage

* “Best time to experience the event is on a non-peak night.”

* “No creature is off limits as far as what you may see in the streets or in the houses.” Que: “Does that include Bloody Mary?” TJ:”I stand by my statement”

* Several different opportunities that guests can choose from to stay entertained in the queue area for the haunted houses. “It will be much more expansive than in the past.” What do you think this means.. I hope they release scareactors to roam the queues.

* We may see some intellectual property characters (i.e Wolfman) in some of the houses (Dead Silence?). But they want to start the process of showing off their original creations such as Jack and the Storyteller.

* It is Mike’s last year working on Bill and Ted.

* Bill and Ted will have the same structure and include pop culture references. This year’s story concept for Bill and Ted: Bill and Ted may face possible replacement (in the story) and they will find themselves in an odd predicament.

* Universal Orlando and Universal Hollywood are completely different. The only thing that is slightly similar is the Bill and Ted show (the script is sent to Hollywood, that’s it).

Thats a really good idea. I don't know if they'll use an open flame in Orfanage, Hades, or maybe even both.

In Orfange, we could just be surrrounding by the aftermath of the fire. But in Hades, they could go for an entirely dark sort of thing. (I remember reading somewhere once that in Greek myth, there weren't "flames" in Hades, just eternal painful darkness. I could be completely wrong; it's a very dusty memory of mine but I thought I would bring it up all the same.)

Well in the poster on the official site.. There is smoldering rock in the background.. (BTW is that FEAR on that poster.. is that his house, or does he just get the scarezone? Maybe the finale to the history house?)

That would cut the possibilities in half. I don't see how it would fit, thematically in Zombiegeddon. I would be most appropriate in the Orfanage, though again you run into spacing concerns. I think, if this really going to happen, it would mean that some of the houses have outdoor scenes, similar to Maximum Carnage in 2002. Once you exited the building, there were still scenes outside. This could happen with both Sprungs and Orfanage, but I'm thinking it would be in Havoc. (I liked this about HOS in 'the 13' house, wouldn't mind seeing it.. I'm having a nerdgasm.

Edited by Shadow Creek

I would think they would do firebars like they use in film. They're easy to control and would give lots of spread fire effects (I say relatively easy to control but that is how the set of The Thing burned partially down!) I doubt we're looking at big firebursts like in scarezones. Just something where you see it and feel the heat. If need be they could put them behind glass or something we wouldn't notice so its actually out of harms way. That seems more likely.

Or even maybe similar to the fire type effects in The Mummy ride (the ceiling of fire) that effect seems very easily contained and controlled and puts off a ton of heat.

The brain fire on the mummy is actually a design nightmare...I was working on a similar version for the Singapore ride and yeah...nightmare LOL. It will be interesting to see how they pull off the live fire effect while making the area workable for actors

* They are changing up flare for the event.

* There will be one comedic toned house. “But it’s not the house you think it is.”

* Several different opportunities that guests can choose from to stay entertained in the queue area for the haunted houses. “It will be much more expansive than in the past.”

These are things that interest me;

Changing flare? Could that possibly mean that our choice of collectable souveniers will be expanding? I do hope so. I love my shirts and wear them until they fall apart but something new would be very welcome. Maybe the oft requested hoodies or some sort of book...I personally would like to see a set of earrings with dangling dirty bronze XX's. There's got to be a market for something other than blinky cups, shot glasses, and feather boas!

Ah, the 'fun' house! My money is on Zombiepocalypse. I mean, really, zombie rights activists? Awesome.

Different options in the queue, hmmm....I honestly don't know what this could mean. The phone games are cute, but they don't hold your interest very long. More movies and maybe some scareactor interaction would be really great for those busy nights!

I cannot WAIT. LT's house is still my most anticipated, followed by Hades and then The Orfanage. That fire effect promises great things!

Mae

These are things that interest me;

Changing flare? Could that possibly mean that our choice of collectable souveniers will be expanding? I do hope so. I love my shirts and wear them until they fall apart but something new would be very welcome. Maybe the oft requested hoodies or some sort of book...I personally would like to see a set of earrings with dangling dirty bronze XX's. There's got to be a market for something other than blinky cups, shot glasses, and feather boas!

Ah, the 'fun' house! My money is on Zombiepocalypse. I mean, really, zombie rights activists? Awesome.

Different options in the queue, hmmm....I honestly don't know what this could mean. The phone games are cute, but they don't hold your interest very long. More movies and maybe some scareactor interaction would be really great for those busy nights!

I cannot WAIT. LT's house is still my most anticipated, followed by Hades and then The Orfanage. That fire effect promises great things!

Mae

they had music videos in the lines in 08, that was the best line waiting because of the music, of course this was not related to the house, but it was fun, and I would dance to the songs

sometimes, I wish they did this again

Edited by black7mask