HHN XX Discussion

This year looks like the best so far, I love the whole acient theming and how the "fear himself" actually looks scary. Thats what i always felt lacked in the icons, They didnt look scary. But "he" looks very scary. Looks alot better then last year. Also i am Super Super SUPER glad there isnt any movie related houses this year. All orginal.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright I wanted to sleep on it before I formed my conclusion on my initial reaction to the site reveal and the overall event. I'll start by saying I am a die hard hhn fan and have been attending since hhn 12 so this will be my 9th straight year going. I was happy to see the update and there are some things I am really excited about. Legendary Truth sounds great. I think the Zombie Gras is going to be an awesome scarezone. I just feel like something is missing. I don't have that overwhelming sense of excitement and I am trying to pinpoint exactly what it is. Maybe it's the uncertainty of some of the houses. Havoc and Psychoscarepy I have my doubts on just what it is. Maybe it boils down to how the houses are presented on the website. To me this website is not on par with recent ones. I know that Fear is kind of mysterious and the darkness is essential to the theme but I just feel it should have been presented in a different way. On past websites there were sound bites to go along with each house. It kind of gives you a little insight to each house. The opening page after the video is bland with a bunch of text and that's it. I just feel like it was thrown together and not a lot of creativity put into the site. I get the darkness and trying to portray Fear and everything but I just hoed for more emphasis on the houses and scarezones. I know you can't always get everything and im grateful for something original. I don't know exactly what the problem is that i'm having but I am sure I will love it when I am there and after Employee Preview. I'm sure a lot of seasoned fans that have been attending for a while might have this same feeling. I'm interested to see what others think.

Edited by LuitaChris

What's funny is I think back to the early years where there wasn't a website, nothing to look towards except the event itself...while this years site may not have all the bells and whistles that everyone has become accustomed to, at least there IS a website! :)

Don't forget, it's not as if future updates can't be interactive. So just because the big reveal was a very basic set up doesn't mean things can change over the course of the next few weeks leading up to the event.

After 19 years of attendance, I can say that I expect a great deal from this 20th and something tells me I won't be disappointed... ;)

while this years site may not have all the bells and whistles that everyone has become accustomed to, at least there IS a website!

See that is what I don't understand.. what other bells and whistles? the vortex from 08? The wall exploding from '09? It all boiled down to showing a splash screen and a description of the house.

AND... People complained about those too.

I agree Lynn, just having a website is really cool... I don't even remember having a site before say '96 (of course a may not have had internet before then either) Being so immersive is cool... And then you have people complaining on the LT page that just just want the details and forget the game... They listen to what we say! I wish people would be a little more grateful for the crazy strides Universal goes to make us happy. But I like the new site oddly because it doesn't show you everything laid out plain. It's darkness, fear... small glimpses. Plus we all know we will get more clickables as time goes on.

I guess you get it every year. But I'm just shocked this year because this has got me very hyped.

Edited by JWFearman

I loved the extremely interactive sites like in the past couple of years... but Uni has done exactly what they intended to do which is keep us guessing. They want us to be intrigued and slightly confused all the way up until we take that first step into the maze. They hit the nail on the head by adding mysteriousness, darkness, and fear of the unknown. In the end when guests experience the maze it will be 20 times scarier because we don't know too much about them. All I know is this year will freak us out.

Ok, time to clear some things up.

The website is very basic this year on purpose. In past surveys the web site always got high marks from the fan boys but the general public hates it. It was always to confusing for them. They designed this site for the general public and as such all the general public cares about is what are the houses and scarezones, when are the dates of the event, and how do I buy my tickets. They don't want to know the whole backstory or have to solve fifty million puzzles or games to get info about the event. They just want the basic facts and that is all. If you want more from the site then visit Legendary Truth cause that is where all the additional clues, story lines, and fun stuff is going this year.

Zombiegeddon is indeed tongue in cheek and meant to be more fun/funny than scary. Just read the description and you can figure that out. We are going to ZAP ( The Zombie Awareness Program) which is NOT a high end zombie defense training facility but one that was open to make a quick buck. And with anything half ass'ed things don't go as planned. The Zombie Gras scarezone mirrors the humor and is A&D making fun of themselves in a way. Crashed parade floats and zombies throwing beads. Im fairly excited

Psychoscarepy: Echoes of Shadybrook from my understanding is NOT a ghost house. The basic story line is that in the basement of Shadybrook a handful of extremely dangerous patients where kept that only select members of the staff knew about. When Shadybrook closed down and the building was emptied these patients where never let out. Now they seek vengeance on anyone who wanders through the empty halls. This is suppose to be the original intense no-holds-bar scare inducing premise behind Psychoscarepy. No jokes, no games, no clowns, just pure fear.

Also, Catacombs: Black Death Rising is NOT a ghost house either. As it says in the description anyone who was suffering from or showed signs of the plague where thrown into the catacombs under the city and sealed inside left to die. The town is putting together a history event and they want to sweep that little part of the town's history under the rug so they open the catacombs to clean them out but discover some of the plague patients are still living in a sort of mummified state.

And in case it needs anymore clarification, there is only two shows this year. Brian Brushwood and Bill and Ted. No arrival type show.

Edited by strangeoneout

If you listen to the fear revealed video you can hear a girls voice in there... What if fear is reincarnated into cindy? I mean fear dosnt have a house and usually icons get thier own house rtight? Idk just looking for more answers very excited about this year It looks all around terrifying!

Minus Legendary Truth I'm not expecting much in terms of basic story this year. Even with this new Icon there really doesn't need to be a back story because it's pure Fear... that's all that needs to be said.

What I Like

- Back to basics year.

- Daunting Icon still lurking in the shadows.

- Hades: The Gates of Ruin

- 6 Scarezones plus possibly other actors roaming around

What I don't

- Not too excited for most of the houses.

- Not too excited for most of the scarezones.

- Feels a little cut and paste with some of Roddy's concept with the new.

I'm thinking you're going to give A&D ideas now, Dr. Jimmy!

If the Vault forums were still available you could go back and read in the 2009 speculation thread where I suggested that Greek Mythology and a house based on Hades would be really cool. Also the first thread I ever started on those forums in September of 2007 was all about Jack as an archetype of The Lord of Misrule representing Chaos in the way Dionysus did in opposition to Order represented by Apollo.

That same year Hush and I had a nice conversation in the forums about how the event should have more of a Halloweeny feel, we suggested strewing entire areas with Jack O' Lanterns, having demented Trick or Treaters attack people, witches on Broomsticks and maybe something covering the origin and history of Halloween. In 2008 all of these things appeared at the event.

So, it may be that I have already given them some ideas, if so I am pleased by it. Or demented minds think alike?

But they still have not made BOB the Icon!!!

As for no movie houses, I reiterate. the Legendary Truth House is clearly inspired although not a direct adaptation of the 1973 UK film The Legend of Hell House.

1. Both have an eccentric millionaire throw a decadent dinner party in the year 1929 which ended up with all 13 guests killed.

2. Both houses become "the most haunted house in the country".

3. Both have a group of paranormal investigators come to research the phenomena in the house where something goes horribly wrong.

4. Although the British movie changed the location to England, the actual haunted house upon which the fictional Hell House was based is located in Ohio.

5. The man who gave us EVERYTHING about the event in a series of clever clues over the past couple of months calls himself Emeric Belasco the actual name of the evil character from the movie.

Furthermore, although we will not know for sure until we see the house, I suspect that the "tongue in cheek" Zombiegeddon house may owe a bit to the recent film Zombieland, especially as there is a "carnival midway" sequence in the house.

In addition although FEAR himself has stated "This is not about the Past, only the Future" we do indeed have two sequel houses. They will be far more intense and take the original concepts into new and unfamiliar territories, but nevertheless Psychoscareapy: Echoes of Shady Brook is the fourth house in that franchise, and The Orfanage: Ashes to Ashes will continue the legacy of Albert Caine.

So this means that some of those who did indeed know what was in store for us have deliberately spread misinformation, knowingly telling us out and out lies about the event. In future years these people will no longer be fully trusted.

I apologize for any of this inaccurate information I passed on believing that what I had been told was in good faith, next time I will only rely on those sources who proved to be truly reliable.

As for no movie houses, I reiterate. the Legendary Truth House is clearly inspired although not a direct adaptation of the 1973 UK film The Legend of Hell House.

I thought I was the only one who's seen that, lol. I completely forgot about that, and you make a very valid point. I don't think people mind houses based on lesser known films, it's the big franchises that people don't want to see year after year.

Well actually Albert Caine according to his backstory lived in Georgia at the Shady Oaks Mortuary. But I think this house is loosely based on the novel Hell House by Richard Matheson, as well as the film based on it: The Legend of Hell House.

Our mysterious benefactor in providing cryptic clues Emeric Belasco took his name from the principal character of this story.

Compare the history of Wyandot house with this>http://www.codelphia.com/aesgaard41/belascohouse.html

Ohhh, much with the interesting. I dunno, all I know from the bit of HHN knowledge I have (which is paltry compared to a lot of people here, is that Carey, OH and Wyandot county have been involved in HHN for YEARS.

So this means that some of those who did indeed know what was in store for us have deliberately spread misinformation, knowingly telling us out and out lies about the event. In future years these people will no longer be fully trusted.

I apologize for any of this inaccurate information I passed on believing that what I had been told was in good faith, next time I will only rely on those sources who proved to be truly reliable.

I just play it easy, I don't trust anyone during Speculation. Anyways... what does it matter? Speculation is over. Let's move on.

Just want to clear up a few things:

I like the update. I do. The houses sound fun. FEAR sounds like an interesting icon, and I can't wait to see his full design. I sincerely believe when we see him he will continue the lantern/tree root motif. The idea of feeding the past into a flame and the future emerging is a good one. I agree with all of this.

My point isn't that things sound bad, they certainly don't. They sound good. My reservations are made. My tickets are bought. Universal already has my money. But I ask again...and no one has answered this yet and I BET they can't...exactly WHERE is that evolutionary leap? I was told...repeatedly...that this year was going to totally blow my mind. That I will have never seen anything like it, and that it would be a complete shift of the HHN paradigm. And it just isn't. At least, not so far. It's interesting. It's ominous. It's mysterious. But it...just...isn't...all...that...different. House, zone, show, house, zone, show. HOW is that different from any other year?

One more thing. Hush, I love you to pieces, and your posts are usually right on but I must take issue with this "Be grateful for what you get" attitude. Universal is not a charity. Over the last eight years (God, has it been THAT long?) I have dropped some SERIOUS coin on HHN. Enough to buy a decent car. As such, I feel I have a right to criticize. Not complain, CONSTRUCTIVELY criticize. If Universal were giving us HHN for free, sure, I'd clam right the hell up and enjoy what I was given. They aren't. HHN is a product, I am a consumer of that product. This gives me (and indeed, all of us) a perfect right to criticize the event. I hope I don't sound harsh, but it's how I feel.

As always, my final verdict will not be made until I actually attend the event. Who knows, maybe they have some mind-blowing shit just waiting to be revealed. Maybe. But so far, I'm just not feeling the new-ness.

Hokay, gather your pitchforks, light your torches, and prepare to chase me into that conveniently burning windmill on the hill. Rawr! Fire BURN!

This is my first year following the site updates, speculation, and the countdown to the full site reveal. It has been so much fun! I am very impressed by the ability of others to figure out so much about the houses before they were announced.

This year looks like it is going to be absolutely fantastic. This will only be my second year attending, by I can at least say that this year looks WAY better than last year did. I'm super excited to be going on opening weekend this time as opposed to late October, so much less of the event will be spoiled for me.

Now I guess I'll give my thoughts on the houses and Scarezones (I'm stealing your idea Jacob :P )

Houses:

Catacombs: I love the idea behind this, now I just hope it is executed right. If this were going to be a soundstage house then it would be my most anticipated house. Catacombs freak me out. Even the name scares me. I loved walking slowly through the catacombs in old Dueling Dragons queue imagining what it would be like as a haunted house. Hopefully now I will get to find out.

Hades: This house has huge potential. One of the ones I'm looking forward to the most. I love the logo for this one too.

Horror Nights The Hallow'd Past: This is probably my most anticipated house. It wasn't before, but now that I know that it's in the parade building, I'm really excited for it. That cloaked figure looks super creepy too.

Havoc Dogs of War: I'm expecting this to be an exciting house more than a scary house, for me at least. I never experienced Maximum Carnage, but for some reason this house makes me think of it.

Zombiegeddon: Probably our "dark humor house" as everyone else is guessing. I have heard some compare it to the movie Zombieland, but I also think that there may be several references the to video game Left 4 Dead in it. When I looked at the leaked picture of the house's layout, most of the room names were also names of levels in Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. Also, the Gun store reminds me of the gun store in one of the levels in L4D2, and the break room might be a reference to one of the safe rooms throughout the game. Keep in mind, even if an idea seems to be original A&D always may have taken inspiration from somewhere else.

Legendary Truth: I wasn't planning on getting into legendary Truth too much this year, since I will only be going to the event for 3 nights, but now that an entire house has been devoted to it, I am definitely going to participate more.

Psychoscarepy: I don't know much about the original house and I never had the chance to experience it, but I've always loved the name. Can't wait for this house, since it's in a soundstage too.

Orfanage: I think it's cool that they are going to do a Cindy house. I'm probably doing this house first, to avoid the lines later on. I hope it's as good as Saw was last year, and not as popular :lol:

Scarezones:

The Coven: Simply based off of the picture for this scarezone it reminds me of the pictures from Harvest of Souls from HHN 16. I don't have much else to say.

Zombie Gras: The concept doesn't interest me too much but I'm sure this will be a fun one to go through with my friends this year.

Saws 'N Steam: YES YES YES! A Chainsaw zone? I hope! The story sounds kind of unrealistic (is killing people for their blood really the easiest way to get water?) but the description of the setting sounds awesome (Enormous trenches have opened in the earth's crust below it's vast oceans, exposing them to intense heat)

Esqueleto Muerte: "Dead Skeleton"??? lmao. This makes me think of the "Day of the Dead" tradition that is celebrated in Mexico, but I think there is more to it.

Fear Revealed:

HHN: 20 Years of Fear: I think these last two scarezones may tie in to each other somewhat. Fear Revealed will be an icon scarezone and HHN: 20 Years of Fear will be the reunion scarezone with our past icons. Chaos, Death, Sacrifice, Mythos, and Vengeance all tie into Jack, the Caretaker, The Director, the Storyteller, and The Usher, so I think we may have an overlapping theme this year that ties everything together.

Edited by Jumboshrmp

My point isn't that things sound bad, they certainly don't. They sound good. My reservations are made. My tickets are bought. Universal already has my money. But I ask again...and no one has answered this yet and I BET they can't...exactly WHERE is that evolutionary leap? I was told...repeatedly...that this year was going to totally blow my mind. That I will have never seen anything like it, and that it would be a complete shift of the HHN paradigm. And it just isn't. At least, not so far. It's interesting. It's ominous. It's mysterious. But it...just...isn't...all...that...different. House, zone, show, house, zone, show. HOW is that different from any other year?

Shouldn't the people who told you that be held accountable? I mean every year A&D/Universal/Marketing always says, "This year is going to be revolutionary". Or at least that's how they make it sound. I do agree in a sense that it is the 20th Anniversary and I did expect something a little... more. I know I'm jumping the gun cause I haven't even experienced the damn thing yet... now I'm rambling.

Rock on, BSquare.

You raise a great point. HHN is by no means cheap and Universal's customers have the right to expect more for their bucks they shell out for it. Some for many many years. I agree spot on with you. I'm very excited for this year and will follow along eagerly til I go, but for the way they presented it as something so unlike HHNs before...it was basically the same. Too much fanfare on their part before the release I think.

If you listen to the fear revealed video you can hear a girls voice in there... What if fear is reincarnated into cindy? I mean fear dosnt have a house and usually icons get thier own house rtight? Idk just looking for more answers very excited about this year It looks all around terrifying!

It could be Cindy but when he said he craves peoples screams it reminded me of Bloody Mary.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but exactly which house will Fear be in?

I was thinking Hades, but I'm not sure

help prease?

additionally, I am very excited for Hades and The Orphanage. HHN The Hallow'd Past I think might be a bit overcrowded with stuff, but I hope it doesn't end up like they're trying too hard to show all of the past.

As for scarezones, it is quite obvious that Fear Revealed will be Fear's scarezone, but there isn't much detail on what will be going on in there (much like how there isn't a clear picture of Fear himself). Saw n' Steam seem interesting, but I have no idea what to say about Esqueleto Muerte...

Edited by Dann93

Guest EmericBelasco

If one were inclined to learn more about Fear, one might want to peruse the HHN Media Site a little more thoroughly.