Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

Mark M.

26 minutes ago, Tich0las said:

The only IP that has a huge following and hasn't taken place in a church (to my knowledge) is American Horror Story. Since each season has a different setting, it makes sense this would be the mega house. Hide the embarrassment known as TWD way back behind MIB, and we've got ourselves a decent HHN.

This seems to be the most probable based on what I am reading on various forums. Disappointing, though, because I don't like AHS if it comes.

As absurd as this sounds, I'm pretty sure Paranormal Activity is the highest grossing (box office) horror series ever. The series has pulled in more money (almost $900 million) than all of the Halloween movies and Nightmare on Elm Street series combined. Reflect on that for a moment...

Does this mean it is popular enough? I sure hope not. 

I'm really drawing a blank here. 

AHS would be a surprise. The IP's legal history makes it something I don't think they would risk. After the nightmare that was Scream for the A&D team last year, I don't think they will come close to taking any kind of risks. Unless the contract is 100% solid with ZERO chance for the IP holder to pull the plug, I don't see them creating a house for whatever the IP may be. 

Don't get me wrong, I would enjoy an AHS house and think the megahouse treatment would be justified if they used all 5 seasons. Each season is SO different, it would be like having 5 shorter houses crammed into one.

What would you guys think about a "TWD mashup" style of house with the first half being TWD and the back half being FTWD? Still don't want it, but at least it would give us some kind of change up to the setting. 

In regards to anything to anything TWD... I'll quote Danzig:

Die die die my darling
Don't utter a single word

No seriously I was over this show midway through season 3.. I kept crawling back for several season hoping it would be better... and just got a knee to the crotch for my troubles each time.

I hope it is pushed to the new tent by fear factor... tucked away where I don't have to see... and then just die with a whimper. We need another major property to usurp it.

Le roi est mort, vive le roi !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDW said:

We need another major property to usurp it.

Do we though? TWD has added so many fans to HHN. Many people who started going for TWD are now going because they love the event. It's my opinion that, at this point, HHN could pull big attendance numbers without a single IP.

Just now, Tich0las said:

Do we though? TWD has added so many fans to HHN. Many people who started going for TWD are now going because they love the event. It's my opinion that, at this point, HHN could pull big attendance numbers without a single IP.

No I personally don't think so but I'm not marketing brained either. They will see any dip as a horrible loss so they will want to replace it with something else that will cause a glut of the unwashed masses to surge in.

8 minutes ago, Tich0las said:

Here's the problem with that argument, from a business perspective.

Can you prove it? Can you prove that the people who started coming FOR TWD will stay without TWD? And what about making more fans to replace those who eventually fade away? Because they will fade away. And only a small percentage will fade away because of the product itself.

What we (as fans) tend to forget is that event is NOT FOR US. It's a massive, multi-million dollar investment designed for the sole purpose of making money. And unless it can be proven that Universal can make as much money WITHOUT big name IPs (which all evidence points to the contrary), they will continue to NEED big name IPs.

• Like 2

Only problem is eventually all the major ips will be played out over time and they'll have to use some other method to pull new people in. I would say that they could use new ips, but other than a few movies here and there it seems like no one knows how to produce a good horror movie anymore. It seems like all they know how to do is reboot stuff and much of that isn't very good. I think that attendance the past couple years might be at it's pinnacle. It's really only a matter of time before it will drop. People are fickle when it comes to entertainment. The one big thing the event has going for it is obviously where it is located though. I'm sure the tourists, which are already there for a variety of reasons, help with the attendance numbers quite a bit.

42 minutes ago, JDW said:

No I personally don't think so but I'm not marketing brained either. They will see any dip as a horrible loss so they will want to replace it with something else that will cause a glut of the unwashed masses to surge in.

If/When the dip happens, I'm sure the people in charge will demand budget cuts which will only make the problem worse. Right now they're milking every udder at full speed for all it's worth.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

7 hours ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

) horror series ever. The series has pulled in more money (almost $900 million) than all of the Halloween movies and Nightmare on Elm Street series combined. Reflect on that for a moment...

Does this mean it is popular enough? I sure hope not. 

Where are you getting this? The series has made about 400m across 6 movies...

9 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

Where are you getting this? The series has made about 400m across 6 movies...

It made that in North America alone... The almost 900 million is worldwide. They also did that with only a little over a 28 million budget. Crazy!

Come to find out, the Alien(s) pulled in more at the box office though... Just found it. They did over a billion.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

4 hours ago, Legacy said:

Here's the problem with that argument, from a business perspective.

Can you prove it? Can you prove that the people who started coming FOR TWD will stay without TWD? And what about making more fans to replace those who eventually fade away? Because they will fade away. And only a small percentage will fade away because of the product itself.

What we (as fans) tend to forget is that event is NOT FOR US. It's a massive, multi-million dollar investment designed for the sole purpose of making money. And unless it can be proven that Universal can make as much money WITHOUT big name IPs (which all evidence points to the contrary), they will continue to NEED big name IPs.

This is a great point and something I think people tend to forget. There is zero chance Universal would be still putting on this MASSIVE event if it was not making them a MASSIVE amount of money in return. You need to think not only about the houses, but the day to day running of the event. You have an army of actors. Those actors have to be cast and go through all the paper work which costs time and money. Those actors then need to be trained, which again, more money. Then they need to go through makeup and costuming nightly. Besides the actors, you have event staff that is also hired to man the lines and houses. You have a big construction crew building the houses. Various artist painting and doing other art related work. You have prop guys building big props. You have large group of people designing costumes months in advance. You have to pay for police and their own added security. You need to hire a ton of new bartenders and food staff to work all the tents. You have to design, build, choreograph and put on a major show production requiring at least 50 people (actors, techs, ushers, etc) for B&T.  Not to mention daily maintenance. AWIL required hours of work DAILY to keep the puppets working correctly. The other houses are always having work done in them to fix things that get broken after thousands of people walk through nightly. This is a massive undertaking that literally never stops. All the departments at the resort have something to do with the event. The moment a year ends, the next year starts.

Just for fun, lets say a house has 30 actors in one cast on average (megahouses have a lot more, some have around 20). Each house has two casts, so that's 60 people. Lets say they work 8 hour shifts and get paid $10.00 an hour (NO idea what scareactors are paid but I can't imagine it being lower than $10). To just pay the scareactors, your looking at close to $5,000 a night for ONE house. To pay for each of the nine houses, your close to $45,000 a night JUST FOR HOUSE ACTORS! Add in another 100+ actors for two casts of people in the streets and that's close to another $10,000. Then lets add another $5,000 a night for B&T cast and your at $60,000 A NIGHT JUST FOR ACTORS! If the event runs 30 nights, your actor budget alone is $1.8 MILLION DOLLARS! That just for actors! Then you have all the stuff I listed above to take into account as well. 

Sure, the event brings in a ton of money as well but it's crazy to really break it down. This isn't something that is quickly tossed together. 10's of millions of dollars go into this event each year between wages, paying for IP's, marketing, etc. They can't afford to create a big event and NOT have IP's to get people to come. If they did a non-IP year, people might still come but not enjoy it as much and so the following year they will lose out on a ton of customers. 

• Like 2

Alright, so I can't remember the log in for my old account, so I've kinda been ghosting over the message boards for a while.

First of all, it's always nice to see so much speculation and not nearly as many secrets revealed. Honestly though, even with themes and subjects confirmed through Uni, the quality and content of the houses are always speculative until the event actually opens. That's the beauty and nature of the event that I love.

As for speculation, I'll leave that up to everyone else, as there are plenty more creative ideas out there right now than what I could provide. The only thing I would like to throw into the mix is with this idea of a megahouse. It's an interesting thought to think of TWD house boasting 'more scareactors in one house than ever', and I think that's the way most people have been thinking. But what if the megahouse is referring to something huge as in monstrous? Something along the lines of 10 Cloverfield Lane, Godzilla, etc. I mean, that would be pretty MASSive...

It's odd Walking dead was definetly horrible and I don't want to see it again. But Walking Dead is also my second most wanted ip of all time. I am of course referring to the infinetly better Telltale game series. If you haven't played the games, go and do that right now. It's available on every console not made by Nintendo and it's even on all smartphones(the experience is fine their) For those unfamiliar, the games take place with a completely different set of characters and storyline from the show. There are nver massive battles with tanks and everything is more intimate. It has plenty of more iconic locations to draw from that would make an amazing house. Plus the other thing that would make it amazing is the whole game has a cel shaded art style. The entire game looks like this. Imagine such a cool environment surrounding you in a house. And it has already been proven possible to achieve the cel shaded look on a real human by dozens of Borderlands cosplayers.

If Universal make up could do something like that to the actors in the house then it would be a very unique look and feel that still has the draw and name of The Walkig Dead.

3 hours ago, Jediwhit82 said:

It's odd Walking dead was definetly horrible and I don't want to see it again. But Walking Dead is also my second most wanted ip of all time. I am of course referring to the infinetly better Telltale game series. If you haven't played the games, go and do that right now. It's available on every console not made by Nintendo and it's even on all smartphones(the experience is fine their) For those unfamiliar, the games take place with a completely different set of characters and storyline from the show. There are nver massive battles with tanks and everything is more intimate. It has plenty of more iconic locations to draw from that would make an amazing house. Plus the other thing that would make it amazing is the whole game has a cel shaded art style. The entire game looks like this. Imagine such a cool environment surrounding you in a house. And it has already been proven possible to achieve the cel shaded look on a real human by dozens of Borderlands cosplayers.

If Universal make up could do something like that to the actors in the house then it would be a very unique look and feel that still has the draw and name of The Walkig Dead.

The games are amazing but the problem is not with TWD houses being bad because they are based on the TV show, they are bad because of the IP as a whole. Zombies are not that scary. They are slow and easy to get away from. The only way to make zombies scary is to put a bunch of them in a tight location. This is why I enjoyed TWD house in 24 because they had a TON of walkers in tight locations. The problem with the IP is it is a drama IP, not a horror IP. The show is 95% drama. The game is nearly the same. Drama doesn't work in a house. This is why I feel like they would have better luck with a AHS house because it at least has bigger horror elements and creatures/people that are scary. Yes it is still a drama, character based show but it's horror elements are bigger and not based on the same type of horror every single season. 

TWD isn't a great IP in the sense that unless you follow the series religiously, you'll be lost, while other IPs are already well ingrained in the pop culture spectrum where you aren't more confused than scared. That and the same thing over and over again isn't scary if it's done year after year, which you could argue the same case with many HHN trademarks. Zombies as a whole have lost their flavor unless you add something new to the party. Even if they spaced out the IP every few years it'd be somewhat fresh, but it's a huge moneymaker so I don't see it leaving, even if they made it a scarezone. 

American Horror Story works because they do something different every season and while not horror either, there's variety in the characters aside from zombies and survivors. 

For some perspective on the Box Office point.

Top 5 highest grossing horror franchises of all time:

World Wide 

1. The Alien Franchise- $1.2 Billion

2. The Resident Evil Franchise- $915 Million

3. The Paranormal Activity Franchise- $889 Million

4. The Saw Franchise- $874 Million

5. The Jaws Franchise- $798 Million

Domestic

1. The Saw Franchise- $415 Million

2. The Jaws Franchise- $408 Million

3. The Paranormal Activity Franchise- $401 Million

4. The Friday the 13th Franchise- $380 Million

5. The Nightmare on Elm Street Franchise- $370 Million

Adjusted for Inflation Domestic:

1. The Jaws Franchise- $1.5 Billion

2. The Exorcist Franchise- $1 Billion

3. The Alien Franchise- $945 Million

4. The Friday the 13th Franchise- $778 Million

5. The Nightmare on Elm Street Franchise- $660 Million

3 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

For some perspective on the Box Office point.

Top 5 highest grossing horror franchises of all time:

World Wide 

1. The Alien Franchise- $1.2 Billion

2. The Resident Evil Franchise- $915 Million

3. The Paranormal Activity Franchise- $889 Million

4. The Saw Franchise- $874 Million

5. The Jaws Franchise- $798 Million

Domestic

1. The Saw Franchise- $415 Million

2. The Jaws Franchise- $408 Million

3. The Paranormal Activity Franchise- $401 Million

4. The Friday the 13th Franchise- $380 Million

5. The Nightmare on Elm Street Franchise- $370 Million

Adjusted for Inflation Domestic:

1. The Jaws Franchise- $1.5 Billion

2. The Exorcist Franchise- $1 Billion

3. The Alien Franchise- $945 Million

4. The Friday the 13th Franchise- $778 Million

5. The Nightmare on Elm Street Franchise- $660 Million

You're Exorcist inflation number seems a bit wonky. It's only 2 years older than Jaws and it grossed only about 230 million or so. Of the 230, some of that even came from the film being re-released, so I'm unsure how inflation was adjusted for. The same goes for Jaws. I think Jaws was released a couple times after the initial release in the 70's. 

I saw that Resident Evil was up there too with the worldwide numbers. The numbers I saw were almost equal to Paranormal Activity, so I didn't bother to mention it. Either way, my point that Paranormal Activity is even on par with the others on this list is almost laughable to me. When I think Hollywood horror movie icons, Paranormal Activity is definitely not on the top of my list. The fact that they only spent 28 or so million to make all 6 films makes that 889 million beyond ridiculous though. Someone cashed in big time with that franchise.  

2 hours ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

You're Exorcist inflation number seems a bit wonky. It's only 2 years older than Jaws and it grossed only about 230 million or so. Of the 230, some of that even came from the film being re-released, so I'm unsure how inflation was adjusted for. The same goes for Jaws. I think Jaws was released a couple times after the initial release in the 70's. 

I saw that Resident Evil was up there too with the worldwide numbers. The numbers I saw were almost equal to Paranormal Activity, so I didn't bother to mention it. Either way, my point that Paranormal Activity is even on par with the others on this list is almost laughable to me. When I think Hollywood horror movie icons, Paranormal Activity is definitely not on the top of my list. The fact that they only spent 28 or so million to make all 6 films makes that 889 million beyond ridiculous though. Someone cashed in big time with that franchise.  

Yeah, Blumhouse. Why do you think Blumhouse cranks out films like they do? Make a movie for $3-$5 Million, opening weekend it makes $9 Million- Boom. Quick and easy way to make a profit. For god sake, Ouija made a profit. And it's getting a sequel.

A few things. Adjusting Box Office for inflation, while interesting, is a little controversial. People like to point out that stuff, so it is what it is. In a way, it almost makes up money. Just because Gone With the Wind is the highest grossing film adjusted for inflation (1.7 billion domestic), really doesn't mean much in terms of profit. MGM didn't make $1.7 billion off of Gone with the Wind. I just looks good in the history books. It also takes into account, per theater average, which just makes things more complicated. Most film snobs, like to point that stuff out, so I usually always include it when discussing Box Office. 

That being said, these are lifetime franchise numbers, not just the first films in their series. They do include re-releases, as any re-release at the Box Office, is always included in a film's lifetime gross. Original releases for The Exorcist and Jaws, are actually different.

Original Box Office Run

The Exorcist- $193 Million

Jaws- $260 Million

The extra $39 Million Dollars for The Exorcist, comes from the re-release in 2000. The Exorcist: The Director's Cut, is actually considered a separate release, but is included with the overall total of the original film's lifetime gross. This is where adjusting for inflation gets ridiculous. You are adjusting the film's original Box Office run, which is just $193 Million, then adding in the re-release which was released in 2000. Obviously, ticket sales were much higher then. 

Individual Box Office Adjusted for inflation

Jaws- $1 Billion

The Exorcist- $948 Million

Franchises Domestic Totals:

Jaws- $260 Million

Jaws 2: $81 Million

Jaws 3: $45 Million

Jaws: The Revenge- $20 Million

The Exorcist- $193 Million

The Exorcist 2- $30 Million

The Exorcist 3- $26 Million

The Exorcist: The Director's Cut- $39 Million

The Exorcist: The Beginning- $41 Million

Dominion: The Prequel to the Exorcist- $251, 495

Interesting to note, Jaws, has not had a major studio re-release, in quite some time. The Exorcist franchise numbers, do take a bit of hit, given it has had more films released at a time when ticket prices were higher as well.

Another week, another update.

Updated list with locations (as I know them. They may not be 100%):

The Announced (SS 24)
The Announced: Second Coming (Tent 2)
The Unannounced: The Return (Parade)
The Unannounced: The Expected (SS 24)
The Unannounced: The Returning (Tent 3)
The Unannounced: The Requeling (SS 22)
The Unannounced: Claustrophobic Jewel (Tent 1)
The Unknown (Shrek)
Shall Not Be Named (SS)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Legacy said:

Another week, another update.

Updated list with locations (as I know them. They may not be 100%):

The Announced (SS 24)
The Announced: Second Coming (Tent 2)
The Unannounced: The Return (Parade)
The Unannounced: The Expected (SS 24)
The Unannounced: The Returning (Tent 3)
The Unannounced: The Requeling (SS 22)
The Unannounced: Claustrophobic Jewel (Tent 1)
The Unknown (Shrek)
Shall Not Be Named (SS)

Are you still hearing no 3D house?  I know I'm one of 5 people here who look,forward to them every year, but pretty sure your (or someones) initial rumors was no 3D house.

Edited by Oysterhead00
Stupid Cell Autocorrect!

2 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Are you still hearing no I'd house?  I know I'm one of 5 people here who look,forward to them every year, but pretty sure your (or someones) initial rumors was no 3rd house.

Huh?