Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

Mark M.

7 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Ha ha ha, sorry, stupid cell phone auto-correct doesn't recognize "3D" and had fun changing it.

Any rumors of a 3D house this year?

Not that I've heard. But I know nothing about Shrek.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Legacy said:

Another week, another update.

Updated list with locations (as I know them. They may not be 100%):

The Announced (SS 24)
The Announced: Second Coming (Tent 2)
The Unannounced: The Return (Parade)
The Unannounced: The Expected (SS 24)
The Unannounced: The Returning (Tent 3)
The Unannounced: The Requeling (SS 22)
The Unannounced: Claustrophobic Jewel (Tent 1)
The Unknown (Shrek)
Shall Not Be Named (SS)

Hey Legacy, quick question. Why is "Shall Not Be Named" called as such? Is it because any hint or other name given to that one would be so obvious that we could immediately guess it? Or is it just for the hell of it?

8 hours ago, RockinSight said:

Hey Legacy, quick question. Why is "Shall Not Be Named" called as such? Is it because any hint or other name given to that one would be so obvious that we could immediately guess it? Or is it just for the hell of it?

I'll explain it once it's revealed, but I think it will make sense once people know what it is.

• Like 2

Using Legacy's updated list with locations, Claustrophobic Jewel is Cobweb. 

Mike has stated Cobweb is Tent 1. We have received 5 images of Cobweb. The first image was given when the codename revealed and was a computer rendering. The second set (2 images) was the plywood walls. The final set of 2 was scenic. 

The first image with the toppled cylinders made me think of fallen pillars in a temple/ruins. The second set contained an image that appeared to be a pillar. The final set reinforced the temple/ruins thoughts although it shifted slightly from my initial thoughts. The final images of scenic reminded me of cliff dwellings. Ancestral Puebloans (the Anasazi) cliff dwellings of Mesa Verde is what actually sprang to mind. 
  • Like 7

On 5/27/2016 at 4:53 PM, Legacy said:

Here's the problem with that argument, from a business perspective.

Can you prove it? Can you prove that the people who started coming FOR TWD will stay without TWD? And what about making more fans to replace those who eventually fade away? Because they will fade away. And only a small percentage will fade away because of the product itself.

What we (as fans) tend to forget is that event is NOT FOR US. It's a massive, multi-million dollar investment designed for the sole purpose of making money. And unless it can be proven that Universal can make as much money WITHOUT big name IPs (which all evidence points to the contrary), they will continue to NEED big name IPs.

While I agree that IPs are necessary for recognition and enticement for the GP, I also agree with the fact that 80% of new horror movies are just shit.  Eventually, the good IPs will be done, and then what?  You re-do them??  Halloween is a $7 BILLION  industry annually.  The existence of a well-produced haunt will draw crowds anyway.  If Universal is putting all its eggs in "the draw of an IP" basket, they are foolish.  I am talking from a BUSINESS perspective here.  There is huge money to be made by keeping a well-designed, immersive event of the size that Universal has.  They already have a big advantage over so many others.  

Eventually TWD will go away (please, for the love of god and everything holy).  TWD is a bit of a freak of nature when it comes to tv popularity, IMO.  I doubt they will find another horror series they can rely on to draw such numbers.  Personally, I really think Penny Dreadful is a well done series, but I know it doesn't have anywhere near the popularity, and that's too bad.  Anyway, the point is, once this god-awful TWD goes away, are they just going to slash the budget and let the event go to shit?  I would certainly hope not.   They need to take advantage of the new crowds they have drawn in and continue to give a top notch event.  If they don't, THAT is when the numbers will drop.

I am a walking billboard for HHN.  Everyone who knows me knows about this event, and, as a result, I know new people have made the trip for this event.  I also tell random strangers about it when they ask about the t-shirts I wear.  I  would suspect some of those people put it on their list to go as well.  Keep in mind, these are all guests outside of Florida.  I know I'm not the only one who does this either.  Point being, the scope of HHN makes it worth taking a trip to many people.  Universal is all about "vacation like you mean it", so having the tourists flock to HHN is also a big deal.   I can tell you, though, if the whole thing started getting cheap and generic, I'm sure not going to spend the $$ to fly all the way there for it, and I am sure many others feel the same.

To wrap it up - to say that the IP is the focus and the only draw is simplistic.  I would hope the powers that be at Universal realize that.

• Like 1

I was thinking similar to above in regards to the Claustrophobic Jewel. I discovered a place called the Jewel Cave National Monument in South Dakota (which looks really cool) that hit some of the criteria in my mind of what the underground/cave portion of the scenic may look like. Naturally there would be some sort of creature living in there that wants to kill us all, but who knows what that could be.

Here is a short video about the cave.

20 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Ha ha ha, sorry, stupid cell phone auto-correct doesn't recognize "3D" and had fun changing it.

Any rumors of a 3D house this year?

I'll confirm no rumors of a 3D house. But one original is completely unknown as of yet.

On 5/30/2016 at 11:08 AM, Legacy said:

Another week, another update.

Updated list with locations (as I know them. They may not be 100%):

The Announced (SS 24)
The Announced: Second Coming (Tent 2)
The Unannounced: The Return (Parade)
The Unannounced: The Expected (SS 24)
The Unannounced: The Returning (Tent 3)
The Unannounced: The Requeling (SS 22)
The Unannounced: Claustrophobic Jewel (Tent 1)
The Unknown (Shrek)
Shall Not Be Named (SS)

The announced (SS24) seeing as we know the Exorcist and TCM. And we know TCM is in one of the sprung tents... this is the Exorcist... Which I personally thought would be ss22 however eh IDK that was a guess. 22 can be chilled. Which would be fantastic for this house. But they only did that once. so probably not.

The second coming Tent 2. We know TCM is in the tent. this is TCM

Claustrophobic Jewel (Tent 1). This is Cobweb. As I know I've stated previously (and pretty sure it was stated by Mike?) This house is claustrophobic. I'm mostly aligning with Mystique on this one... mostly.

The Return - Without giving anything away this is a returning IP. Probably not what you are thinking.

The Expected: this one is exactly where I thought it would be... and it is just what I knew we would get. I had wanted it last year but this year is fine.

The returning... I don't want to give this away. :)

The requeling. Mike has stated this is a re-imagined original from the past. My bet is on ghost town.

The Unknown is just that. the unknown original.

Shall Not be named... again not giving this up. But you do know it and it will makes sense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

While I agree that IPs are necessary for recognition and enticement for the GP, I also agree with the fact that 80% of new horror movies are just shit.  Eventually, the good IPs will be done, and then what?  You re-do them??  Halloween is a $7 BILLION  industry annually.  The existence of a well-produced haunt will draw crowds anyway.  If Universal is putting all its eggs in "the draw of an IP" basket, they are foolish.  I am talking from a BUSINESS perspective here.  There is huge money to be made by keeping a well-designed, immersive event of the size that Universal has.  They already have a big advantage over so many others. 

Except that Universal itself is a movie studio and every single ride in the park is at least partially based based on an IP (maybe there is one or two that aren't....like Dualing Dragons though they now claim it to be Potter-based...and stuff like the pteradactyl kiddie ride that ties in with JP).  It's a movie theme park designed to draw in movie fans.  So having IPs, not just for marketing, is a must.  If they had an all original event, it would be odd.  Like if Disney were to have an event where there was no Mickey, Goofy, etc present.  When I go to ANYTHING at Disney, I expect to see Disney Characters.  When I go to Legoland, I expect to see Legos up the ying yang.  When I go to Universal, I expect to see movie characters.  It's not smart to alienate your fan base, betray your mission statement, and not give the people what they want.

They put all their eggs in the IP basket when they created the park, and it's worked pretty damn well for them and they're expanding throughout the world.  They keep the rides as long as they're popular and relevant...and then they demolish them and replace them with more current IPs and updated technology.  They have the experience and knowhow to make these adjustments  and will make them for HHN for years to come.  Universal has HHN and I'd argue it's the most popular haunt in the US...and it was built on IPs...so it would be marketing suicide to try to move completely away from them.   I live right by the Headless Horseman Hayrides in upstate NY and it's ranked one of the best haunts in the country and I never go.  Why?  Because if you've been there once you've been there a hundred times.  It's just people in scary masks and nothing that I have a built up understanding of the back story.  I live 60 miles outside NYC and there are tons of year round haunts there....that nobody goes to and I only went to one and wasn't very impressed.  Yet I've been flying down to Florida for over a decade to shell out money for HHN and am extremely excited to see what IPs they have, rent/buy the movies to catch up, and then "Live the Movies" at the event.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Except that Universal itself is a movie studio and every single ride in the park is at least partially based based on an IP (maybe there is one or two that aren't....like Dualing Dragons though they now claim it to be Potter-based...and stuff like the pteradactyl kiddie ride that ties in with JP).  It's a movie theme park designed to draw in movie fans.  So having IPs, not just for marketing, is a must.  If they had an all original event, it would be odd.  Like if Disney were to have an event where there was no Mickey, Goofy, etc present.  When I go to ANYTHING at Disney, I expect to see Disney Characters.  When I go to Legoland, I expect to see Legos up the ying yang.  When I go to Universal, I expect to see movie characters.  It's not smart to alienate your fan base, betray your mission statement, and not give the people what they want.

They put all their eggs in the IP basket when they created the park, and it's worked pretty damn well for them and they're expanding throughout the world.  They keep the rides as long as they're popular and relevant...and then they demolish them and replace them with more current IPs and updated technology.  They have the experience and knowhow to make these adjustments  and will make them for HHN for years to come.  Universal has HHN and I'd argue it's the most popular haunt in the US...and it was built on IPs...so it would be marketing suicide to try to move completely away from them.   I live right by the Headless Horseman Hayrides in upstate NY and it's ranked one of the best haunts in the country and I never go.  Why?  Because if you've been there once you've been there a hundred times.  It's just people in scary masks and nothing that I have a built up understanding of the back story.  I live 60 miles outside NYC and there are tons of year round haunts there....that nobody goes to and I only went to one and wasn't very impressed.  Yet I've been flying down to Florida for over a decade to shell out money for HHN and am extremely excited to see what IPs they have, rent/buy the movies to catch up, and then "Live the Movies" at the event.

Oh, please don't misunderstand my comments.  I'm completely with you 100% on this.  My point was, in all the discussion we've had since TWD became an HHN fixture, the comments keep coming up over and over how TWD drove up attendance for the event dramatically.  So, in light of this, I was saying that IMO, TWD was a rarity to generate such extra interest.  So, logically, if Universal thinks you can hit a jackpot twice, and that is what they are counting on, they are stupid.  I'm not saying I don't want to see IPs because I do.  There have been some really, really GREAT ones - Halloween, AWIL, and CITW come to mind as ones I adored.

My other point was, somewhere down the line, they may have to work extra hard with some IPs because there is so much shit to wade through to find the gems.  However, there is still a pretty large back catalog of great horror movies they could tap, so I don't see this as a problem in the near future.  My thoughts were just following the logical progression of what would they do if they literally ran out of IPs?  Maybe that is over-reaching a bit, but it is something to consider.

I, in no way, am saying I think they should do an all original event.  I, too, enjoy finding out which IPs will be at HHN, and then we all take the time to re-watch those movies before we go.  It's incredibly fun.

I was responding to the idea that after TWD goes away, will they slash the budget or go in reverse and lose ticket sales?  I don't think dramatically so - again, unless they turn it into some half-hearted, generic piece of crap which I don't see happening.

• Like 1

Is it me...or with the cave talk from mystique and THNDIZNIR...it comes off to me like cobweb could be an original play on something like " the descent" in my head. If not, and its just a singular creature  maybe we go back to the urban legends franchise and use a more obscure choice of monster (like ie. wendigo)...I dont know what exactly as I'm not well versed in Native culture...but i'm sure someone could come up with some options???

10 minutes ago, Johnny Topside said:

Sounds like claustrophobic jewel/cobweb has an South West Desert Native American vibe? I am very very okay with that!

It is pure speculation based on my interpretation of the images we have scene.  I have no idea what the theming will be. I could be completely wrong. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WannabeIcon said:

Is it me...or with the cave talk from mystique and THNDIZNIR...it comes off to me like cobweb could be an original play on something like " the descent" in my head. If not, and its just a singular creature  maybe we go back to the urban legends franchise and use a more obscure choice of monster (like ie. wendigo)...I dont know what exactly as I'm not well versed in Native culture...but i'm sure someone could come up with some options???

We don't know what the creature is, but this is basically what we can expect.

• Like 2

Kinda odd that sites like Screamscape (I only check like 3 sites other than here for HHN news), and others that will rename nameless, who seem to me to come here, read the posts, and then "break the exclusive news from their reliable sources" have been pretty quiet around stuff like the all but explicitly stated Halloween 2 house and other pretty thinly veiled hints.  

Just strikes me as odd since they usually take the first list posted (or even Dr Jimmy's April Fool's) and break the news about what they're hearing.  Screamscape in particular has been VERY quiet.

I found this out earlier. 

"We couldn’t let this special day go by without some exciting news that we hope will rock you to the core: John Carpenter’s classic THE THING will be getting a 2-disc Blu-ray Collector’s Edition treatment this fall!

We are truly honored to have the chance to pay the ultimate respect for this popular and iconic film. Release date is planned for September. Stay tuned to this page within the next week for all the details, including new artwork, extras, and more."

Shall Not be named or... The Thing? The Thing also took a significant amount of inspiration from H.P. Lovecraft (which possibly could have explained why there may have been confusion). Though I'd love to see it, would that mean that we're not getting Halloween 2 for 'the return"? Would they go with 2 Carpenter films in 1 year?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Kinda odd that sites like Screamscape (I only check like 3 sites other than here for HHN news), and others that will rename nameless, who seem to me to come here, read the posts, and then "break the exclusive news from their reliable sources" have been pretty quiet around stuff like the all but explicitly stated Halloween 2 house and other pretty thinly veiled hints.  

Just strikes me as odd since they usually take the first list posted (or even Dr Jimmy's April Fool's) and break the news about what they're hearing.  Screamscape in particular has been VERY quiet.

They do. One of them even quoted Legacy directly and made some pretty hasty speculation on TCM that was a.) wrong and b.) is easily fact checked by looking at Mike's posts on Twitter about TCM.

10 minutes ago, JDW said:

They do. One of them even quoted Legacy directly and made some pretty hasty speculation on TCM that was a.) wrong and b.) is easily fact checked by looking at Mike's posts on Twitter about TCM.

Exactly.  Made me wonder if Universal told "webistes" and "companies" that they'd lose interview/preview/etc etc etc opportunities if they posted leaks this year.  Forums are just members posting info and really can't be held liable, to an extent, for breaking a cease and desist type order...but a website where all the updates/info is posted by "owners" or "employees" of the sites with advertising revenue generated and such.

Just curious...but personally, I love it.  

23 hours ago, JDW said:

The Return - Without giving anything away this is a returning IP. Probably not what you are thinking.

Shall Not be named... again not giving this up. But you do know it and it will makes sense.

I don't like that "the return" is probably not what I'm thinking. With Halloween 2 being tossed around as a potential candidate, I (along with my small crew) were really excited about the possibility. I've even watched the movie a couple times already to get myself even more excited, so it would be very unfortunate to have to break the news over here that I made a mistake by speaking out too early. I guess I should know better than to get too excited before the official announcements.

"it will make sense"... so a big name ip that is likely either releasing a new film, getting a blu-ray re-release/makeover, has an anniversary (which most likely means it is getting some form of collector's edition dvd release), or is being re-released in the theater. 

I'm sticking with The Thing until someone convinces me otherwise.

• Like 1

Just a quick comment - I was watching the trailer for The Descent this morning and one of the first blurbs from critics that came across the screen was "Claustrophobic".  Not saying we will get the Descent, but I think what was said above about cobweb might be true.

59 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

I don't like that "the return" is probably not what I'm thinking. With Halloween 2 being tossed around as a potential candidate, I (along with my small crew) were really excited about the possibility. I've even watched the movie a couple times already to get myself even more excited, so it would be very unfortunate to have to break the news over here that I made a mistake by speaking out too early. I guess I should know better than to get too excited before the official announcements.

"it will make sense"... so a big name ip that is likely either releasing a new film, getting a blu-ray re-release/makeover, has an anniversary (which most likely means it is getting some form of collector's edition dvd release), or is being re-released in the theater. 

Except "it will make sense" is about "Shall Not Be Named" not "The Return", so...

1 hour ago, ForeverEvil1 said:

Except "it will make sense" is about "Shall Not Be Named" not "The Return", so...

Not sure how you got the idea that when I said "it will make sense", that I was referring to "the return".

I quoted 2 lines of text from JDW, the 2nd one of them being this...

"Shall Not be named"... again not giving this up. But you do know it and "it will makes sense".

Then wrote this below my 1st comment (which actually was about the return)...

Sorry for the confusion if there was any.