Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

16 hours ago, Badge said:

I still think the "megahouse" and the requel house are the same thing.

Nope... bigger and more interest around. Think about it, the mega house is going to have mass appeal (read as... not only die hard fans) seeing as it is the biggest house to date.

Requel is a re-imagined original. No one outside of the fans will care about it. A mega house is meant to draw the masses... uh... in mass.

• Like 4

"ultimate faith in"

"mass appeal"

"draw the masses"

"in mass"

Hmmm...

One of the biggest horror movies ever involves the church performing an exorcism. The Exorcist is almost a guarantee to be the busiest house this year. Is that the megahouse? 

If it was, I would have thought they would have mentioned it along with the release back in April. 

If not...

The Preacher  B) (for the next 5 years) Actually, I haven't even watched the show yet, nor have I read the comics, so I have no clue what the show is even about.

Could the megahouse be American Horror Story? Covering all 5 seasons? Or has that already been ruled out as a possibility for this year due to issues with Fox once again?

Legacy's last comment makes me think it's either a currently running tv series (Walking Dead perhaps, but we've already had a church appear in the series) or a film franchise with different settings in each installment (The Purge, The Conjuring). 

Gonna give this a stab...

The announced 

Exorcist

The announced: Second coming (Tent 2)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 
The unannounced: The return (Parade)
Halloween 2
The unannounced: The expected
The Walking Dead
The unannounced: The returning
Hellraiser 
The unannounced: The requeling 
Ghost Town
The unannounced: Claustrophic jewel (Tent 1)
New Original
The unknown 
American Horror Story
Shall not be named
Beetlejuice 

• Like 1

Could the megahouse be....Game of Thrones? Before you call me crazy, hear me out.

A few weeks back when I asked those in the know if there was another "dream IP" in the lineup, the general answer I got was that some would say so and that it depends on preference. From what I got out of that, this would imply an IP that caters to a certain audience and not all horror fans.  

Legacy also stated on OU that one of the remaining IPs was so shocking to him when he first heard about it, that he had to question his source on its credibility. It made him want to shout what it was from the mountain tops (The Mountain is a character on Game of Thrones). When asked if it was a good shout or a bad shout, he once again said it depended on preference (fans of the show will absolutely love it, while people who've never watched will question if it has any elements of horror in it).

All these subtle hints on "faith" and "mass" (if they are indeed hints) can tie into various storylines on the show (the High Sparrow storyline taking place in the last two seasons, Melisandre, etc.)  This could also tie the "Shall not be named" code name into the Faceless Men and Arya Stark storyline from the last couple of seasons. Shall not be named-> the house has no code name -> a girl has no name (Arya Stark).

Lastly, the "no church in the mega-house....yet." comment could once again be referring to the High Sparrow and The Faith storyline because, from my recollection, we've never really seen The Faith Militant in an actual church at Kings Landing. 

I know, I'm REALLY reaching here. And that's mainly because I'm a huge GoT fan. But I guess that's the fun of speculation! *Waits for people to start throwing rocks* 

28 minutes ago, Tich0las said:

Gonna give this a stab...

The announced 

Exorcist

The announced: Second coming (Tent 2)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 
The unannounced: The return (Parade)
Halloween 2
The unannounced: The expected
The Walking Dead
The unannounced: The returning
Hellraiser 
The unannounced: The requeling 
Ghost Town
The unannounced: Claustrophic jewel (Tent 1)
New Original
The unknown 
American Horror Story
Shall not be named
Beetlejuice 

TWD is The Returning

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, StyrofoamCup said:

Could the megahouse be....Game of Thrones? Before you call me crazy, hear me out.

A few weeks back when I asked those in the know if there was another "dream IP" in the lineup, the general answer I got was that some would say so and that it depends on preference. From what I got out of that, this would imply an IP that caters to a certain audience and not all horror fans.  

Legacy also stated on OU that one of the remaining IPs was so shocking to him when he first heard about it, that he had to question his source on its credibility. It made him want to shout what it was from the mountain tops (The Mountain is a character on Game of Thrones). When asked if it was a good shout or a bad shout, he once again said it depended on preference (fans of the show will absolutely love it, while people who've never watched will question if it has any elements of horror in it).

All these subtle hints on "faith" and "mass" (if they are indeed hints) can tie into various storylines on the show (the High Sparrow storyline taking place in the last two seasons, Melisandre, etc.)  This could also tie the "Shall not be named" code name into the Faceless Men and Arya Stark storyline from the last couple of seasons. Shall not be named-> the house has no code name -> a girl has no name (Arya Stark).

Lastly, the "no church in the mega-house....yet." comment could once again be referring to the High Sparrow and The Faith storyline because, from my recollection, we've never really seen The Faith Militant in an actual church at Kings Landing. 

I know, I'm REALLY reaching here. And that's mainly because I'm a huge GoT fan. But I guess that's the fun of speculation! *Waits for people to start throwing rocks* 

I just can't see Game of Thrones working as a house. It's no where near a horror property. It is more drama based than TWD and we all know how bad TWD houses have been lately. It's impossible to create the type of character driven drama you see in the show inside a house. Plus, it is so spread out in terms of locations if they were to do it, fans would be disappointed that certain locations were not featured enough. Also, just like TWD, I can't see them being allowed to use characters from the story in the house so that would limit them even more.

If anything, I think the most shocking property would be a HP house. HP has the death eaters, dementors and Voldemort. Even if JK doesn't allow them to use Voldemort, they could easily use a bunch of random death eaters casting dark magic around us. I think a house full of special effects causing things to "explode" and disappear while we are attacked by death eaters would be kinda cool. Plus a few rooms full of dementors would be really scary depending on what was going on in the room. 

Still, both of these properties have creators that are VERY picky on how their IP is used. We have seen JK slowly let Universal have more control (allowing Diagon to be open during HHN for example) so its not out of the realm of possibility that they pitched her a creative house concept that she liked. Still, I think the "dream IP" would be something more horror related and not tied to a drama based TV show, book or movie. 

I honestly think it would be Beetlejuice and it will be this years "fun house". 

The largest house in HHN history is going to be Beetlejuice... and it's going to be a "fun house"?

I don't even know what to say about that... I usually agree with or at the very least understand pretty much everything you write Badge, but this really has me scratching my head.

Well... as far as we know (sorta), there will be 6 ips...

We know of 4 right now that seem plausible or are confirmed... TCM, Exorcist, TWD, Halloween 2

It seems as though the other 2 are properties that haven't been made into houses before. This means that "the expected" could be Krampus or less likely at this point, The Conjuring. I don't think Hellraiser has ever had it's own house (it has been used though), but I'd definitely be down for the idea of it somehow being "the expected" even though it isn't anywhere near as expected as Krampus.  

Assuming we get Krampus (and it is "the expected"), it's highly unlikely that it will be this megahouse. If the megahouse isn't any of the other 4 ips we already more or less know are coming, that only leaves the "shall not be named" to be the one that matches. At this point, I'm really at a loss as to what it could be, (unless the megahouse is TWD after all - aka "the returning"). 

I'll tell you what though... If they made a TWD house similar to what they did last year at Howl-O-Scream (Zombie Containment Unit), but with a Universal budget that would be awesome. Of course, they probably could never do something like that at Universal because the lines would be out to the parking garage. I'd even be willing to pony up additional $ to do something like that.

I'm also kinda jealous that Hollywood is getting that permanent TWD attraction. It would be awesome to have 9 houses (no TWD) and the TWD attraction separately running during HHN.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

12 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

The largest house in HHN history is going to be Beetlejuice... and it's going to be a "fun house"?

I don't even know what to say about that... I usually agree with or at the very least understand pretty much everything you write Badge, but this really has me scratching my head.

Oh no, I wasn't saying the megahouse was going to be beetlejuice, just one of them. No way BJ would be the megahouse. 

Odds are the megahouse will be TWD (unfortunately). Would like to see Krampus be the megahouse but I doubt that. I would be shocked if the megahouse ended up being anything other than TWD though and would be blown away if it turns out to be an original house. People in charge of the budget and marketing seem to love TWD and having "The longest house in history" attached to the TWD name would continue to draw in the crowds. I just wish it would die already. We need something new.

49 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

A repeat of shit :)

TWD megahouse during 24 was my first time in a TWD house. It was my 3rd house ever at HHN. I loved it for what it was and I still think about that terrifying forest scene with tons of walkers right next to you. I liked the scale of it. The store with the helicopter crashing through the ceiling was great. Everything was just big and well detailed.

Last years was just awful. It had nothing good about it. I liked 24's because of the size...not the IP. I hope whatever IP they give the megahouse treatment gets the same scale. That's why I hope the megahouse will be given to Krampus. 

My money's on the megahouse (if it's legit) being either The Return or The Returning. But is there enough room in the Parade to handle a larger-than-normal house?

24's TWD was a very solid house. It was one of only 2 (arguably 3) scary houses that year, great length and detail, and some very neat effects and rooms. The Terminus scenes at the end were lame, but the rest was well done, especially for TWD. Last year's seemed incredibly uninspired and boring because when you use an IP with very little change in landscape over the years, there's literally no way around it. I shudder to think of what they can do the FIFTH time around in what may be a megahouse.

• Like 1

TWD is an unworthy IP. That's why it especially sucked last year. Seemed like creative was trying to give it a proper farewell with HHN24, and it back fired.  Now we're at the point where fans don't want it, creative doesn't want it, and the general public are starting to get bored of it. Maybe this time TWD mega house will be done right: make it so bad there's no reason to have it back.

• Like 1

A small part of me hopes that with USH getting a permanent TWD house that we will be spared this year but I don't think we will get that lucky. I don't think we will have a year without TWD until it's no longer on TV or we to get a permanent TWD attraction. Marketing just loves having a popular TV show to put in the ads. 

Ratings for The Walking Dead fell 10% this year. Everyone's starting to release its a pointless show with no end in sight. 

I stopped watching it last year when I released how much material is left in the graphic novels - about another 7 seasons worth. Not wasting my time watching this garbage when there are so many better movies/television shows I have yet to see. I have friends who feel the same way, so I'm guessing this is the start of a fall out with the general public.

1 hour ago, Tich0las said:

Ratings for The Walking Dead fell 10% this year. Everyone's starting to release its a pointless show with no end in sight. 

I stopped watching it last year when I released how much material is left in the graphic novels - about another 7 seasons worth. Not wasting my time watching this garbage when there are so many better movies/television shows I have yet to see. I have friends who feel the same way, so I'm guessing this is the start of a fall out with the general public.

It's still the highest rated show on TV by a wide margin, when it stops being profitable it won't come back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tich0las said:

Statistics are funny sometimes. The numbers can be moved around a bit to fit whatever study or point you're trying to prove. With that said, I don't think that "everyone's starting to realize it's a pointless show with no end in sight". Roughly a little over a million viewers on average stopped watching the show last year. That still left over 13 million viewers on average, so I wouldn't exactly call that million or so everyone. Furthermore, I find it a bit odd that you'd use the term "no end in sight". Apparently you have a problem with a show continuing regardless if it's really good or not? Weird... I also disagree with your conclusion that there is another 7 seasons worth of material left in the graphic novels (comics?). I'm pretty sure this past season ended at issue #100. They're now at issue 154 (which I literally just read). If you look at the next 54 issues, after Negan is more or less dealt with (no spoilers), there is definitely a lull to the action in my opinion (with 1 exception). You also should take into consideration that season 1 of TWD (tv) was only 6 episodes instead of the 16 we get now. Season 2 was also a shorter season at 13 episodes . When you look at it that way, we should be 5 1/2 seasons in with 100 (roughly) issues worth of more action packed comics used for inspiration material. If the show ran another 7 seasons, it would be way further out than the comics, which to me, might not even be a bad thing since it would be 100% new.

Now...

If you want to tell me that the show pissed a bunch of it's viewers off last season, that I would agree with. The stunt they pulled with Glenn definitely backfired and the cliffhanger season finale might have been even worse in my opinion. I still haven't recovered from how foolish that ending was. They spent the whole season leading up to what millions of fans knew was an end to one of the main characters. All that, for it to end not knowing who got the beating. I don't think I've ever seen a series more blatant (weak) attempt at getting the following season's premiere numbers back up after the dip this season. I'm a true fan of the show and I felt rather insulted at what they did.

With all that out of the way, Universal shouldn't have brought TWD back last year and they most certainly shouldn't be bringing it back this year. But hey, I suppose the millions and millions of fans it has can't be totally wrong.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Legacy said:

There's no churches in the megahouse... Yet.

Well... I'm trying to imagine what they would choose that would have enough of a fan following to go through with it being the largest ever. TWD and Exorcist have no shortage of fans. Would something like Tales from the Crypt have enough star power to be worthy. Thomas Church played a part in the Demon Knight film, but he wasn't the main villain. I'm pretty sure Billy Zane played that role (it's been awhile since I've seen it). 

You know how many churches there are in horror films? Lets say that there is no shortage. Fear the Walking Dead opened in a church and sorta ended on a religious note (Saint Death worship), but I'd doubt they'd use that over TWD (which also had a couple churches). 

Are we talking about a literal tangible church, servants of the church, a person named Church, or something else (maybe even nothing at all if you're screwin with me)?

The only IP that has a huge following and hasn't taken place in a church (to my knowledge) is American Horror Story. Since each season has a different setting, it makes sense this would be the mega house. Hide the embarrassment known as TWD way back behind MIB, and we've got ourselves a decent HHN.

• Like 3