Halloween Horror Nights 25 Wishful Thinking

Legacy

Horror rock band. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

I've had the idea of using live music in a scarezone for a little while now. High energy rock/metal gives the actors high energy which = more intense scares. Having a track play does great. Having the music play live would be utter chaos.

Also, Universal: If you need a drummer to play any type of metal/progessive metal or rock/hard rock etc, give me a call. That would be the biggest dream come true; to play drums during HHN.

this is not a band, but there is this pretty awesome local, Orlando based performing group called Phantasmagoria. they are a victorian steampunk circus group that to me would really be a perfect fit for HHN. (But who knows if the group would even want to do hhn or not)

I still think Universal should try to talk to them and tryto get them to become a show for the event

I just... I can't understand why they don't look for awesome stuff like this from around the country or something, there must be a lot of shows that would fit. Penny Circus was fun but not as great as something like this could be.

is it money or something? is it because Uni doesn't want to spend too much getting a big show from somewhere else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GMi5DXpGXY

• Like 1

Looking at that survey, a personal Yay, Okay, and Nay. Will be ranking in a "IPs are definitely coming back" style.

Yay: TCM, AHS, NOES, Bill and Ted, Icons, Classic Monsters

Okay: Rocky Horror, P&T type Magician show, The Strain (Don't watch it, so it automatically goes here), Ghostbusters (Would be a 100% hit or 100% failure the way I see it), Horror Themed Rock Band, Hitchcock (Haven't seen too many Hitchcock movies, but I do think he could fit), Carnival Style Freak Show,

Nay: The Walking Dead, Hannibal (Don't see how this would work),

Surprised Friday the 13th wasn't on that list considering NOES and TCM.

Looking at your list I agree with some of what you say but I do not see the practicality of some of the options they have put out there. I am not trying to attack or single you out, you just happen to be the first person to address both things that I have been thinking about since taking the survey in one post so it is easier to reference you than anyone else.

I really hope AHS does not happen this year. They are already bringing back Jack and possibly doing a freak show, so what would they do for AHS? Marketing rules, so they would have to do either the current season (which they seem to have covered with inspired by elements) or a best of house (which would be all kinds of disjointed).

Now that I bring up a best of house let me address another disagreement, your statement that Hannibal could not work. In all honesty, I think this property is tailor made to a best of house. A queue video setting up the various killers and showing Hannibal having sessions with them. Enter the office of Hannibal Lecter and see him interviewing a psychotic patient and then we get to the best of scenes of all the killers he has created. Our finale is a two parter as we see Hannibal preparing a very human looking meal in the kitchen and transition into the dining room for a final cut. The formula would work, but it is not my first pick for a TV horror show to be featured at the event (Sleepy Hollow, The Strain, and Z Nation).

Personally, I do not want the New Line slashers back as I think there are other slashers who have not been done before and deserve their time in the spotlight (Candyman). I never got the see the New Line slashers, but I am fine with that.

As far as a magician and RHPS goes, please no. RHPS does not have the interchangability of B&T so it does not have quite as sustainable of a formula. Magicians have been done, and done, and done, and I am fine with them not being done again until the 30th. Bring in a horror themed rock show or the freak show instead.

And finally, after the crowds this year, no parade. Cool idea, but the execution would be very difficult.

Edited by Cooger and Dark

Phantasmagoria got me thinking. I wonder how many people remember the old Phantasmagoria games from Sierra back in the day. They'd make a pretty sweet house, but I highly doubt enough people remember them.

Man, talk about a throwback. Piggybacking off of that, they should do an evil magician haunted house. Given how many magicians they have had come through the event, it would make sense to have a house based off of one gone insane. Using "Wizard of Gore" or "Phantasmagoria" as a blueprint would be a great idea.

• Like 1

I am reading a WW2 memoir called With the Old Breed and this excerpt made me think of the type of zombie house we COULD have if they would just drop TWD:

"I catalogued in my mind the position of every feature on the surrounding terrain. There was not vegetation, so my list consisted of mounds and dips in the terrain, foxholes of my comrades, craters, corpses, and knocked-out tanks and amtracs. We had to know where everyone, living and dead, was located. The position and posture of every corpse was important, because infiltrating Japanes also would freeze when illuminating shells lit up. So they might go unnoticed among the dead.

I imagined Marine dead had risen up and were moving silently about the area. I suppose these were nightmares, and I must have been more asleep than awake, or just dumbfounded by fatigue. Possibly, they were hallucinations, but they were strange and horrible. The pattern was always the same. The dead got up slowly out of their waterlogged craters or off the mud and, with stooped shoulders and dragging feet, wandered around aimlessly, their lips moving as though they were trying to tell me something. I struggled to hear what they were saying. They seemed agonized by pain and despair. I felt they were asking me for help. The most horrible thing was that I felt unable to aid them."

Given 2009's War of the Dead scarezone, I think this could make a killer zombie house. Heck, make the finale us trapped in a trench about three feet high(putting the action around us at waist level and leaving us little room to run) with bodies and scareactors laying on the ground on either side of us and a strobe that goes off every so often simulating the firefight around us.

Given 2009's War of the Dead scarezone, I think this could make a killer zombie house. Heck, make the finale us trapped in a trench about three feet high(putting the action around us at waist level and leaving us little room to run) with bodies and scareactors laying on the ground on either side of us and a strobe that goes off every so often simulating the firefight around us.

So... basically Nightengales: Blood Prey but with zombies. Nah, I'd prefer a Nightengales sequel instead.

Edited by JackTheREAPER

Here's my thoughts. (obviously it's too early, but this is just for fun.)

House Lineup:

1. Alien: Isolation (Video game property)

2. The Strain

3. Icon-based Original

4. Nightengales 2

5. Something throwbacky, like ScreamHouse or Run.

6. Insidious

7. A Slasher IP (NOES, or TCM?)

8. Legendary Truth original

9. Something related to Jack (3D?)

So... basically Nightengales: Blood Prey but with zombies. Nah, I'd prefer a Nightengales sequel instead.

Yeah, I want a Nightingale's sequel too, but I do not want to see it be WW1 or WW2. I would rather they go with a castle siege situation or the natural disaster route.

I was just trying to point out that there are so many BETTER things they could be doing with zombies.

• Like 1

so are these all things that they're interested in doing? Because a Hitchcock house sounds pretty cool

I did an unmasking the horror tour for the first time this year, and the tour guide asked what we'd like to see in the upcoming years. My fiancé had the idea of a Hitchcock house where each room is a different scene from some of his most famous movies, I though that was a pretty good idea. Myself, I'm still wishing for a Shining house! (Kubrick not the book or miniseries)

Edited by Johnny Topside

this is not a band, but there is this pretty awesome local, Orlando based performing group called Phantasmagoria. they are a victorian steampunk circus group that to me would really be a perfect fit for HHN. (But who knows if the group would even want to do hhn or not)

I still think Universal should try to talk to them and tryto get them to become a show for the event

I just... I can't understand why they don't look for awesome stuff like this from around the country or something, there must be a lot of shows that would fit. Penny Circus was fun but not as great as something like this could be.

is it money or something? is it because Uni doesn't want to spend too much getting a big show from somewhere else?

Might be a little too ... cerebral for typical HHN goers, but I would love this. Anything that gets the troupe a larger audience would be great in my book. Could maybe do a full show in pieces throughout the night.

Hey, maybe for NOES and TCM, we are getting a house version of the Carnival Of Carnage or something. Since Jack is returning, maybe we see a house for Jack which includes Carnival Of Carnage. However, Friday The 13th was nowhere on the survey, which leads is a bit odd. However, maybe for a "Carnival Style Freak Show", we get the Carnival of Carnage. But I don't know. There's not enough info yet to predict such a thing.

In the survey's "would you rather..." set of quizzes, it seemed to me that the questions were based on your response to previous questions.

I had a simple set of rules: if some sort of non-IP based theme was an option, I voted for it. If Walking Dead was a choice I voted against it.

My choices seemed to be limited to the following pool:

Walking Dead

Gostbusters

Hitchcock

Freddy

Leatherface

American Horror Story

"Carnival Style Freakshow"

Former original HHN Icons

Bill & Ted

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Horror based hard rock band

I find it off there was no chance of saying that I preferred some new original icon, or original content houses. I mean - no option at all was given...

So I basically kept voting for the former icons - not that it would be my preference necessarily, but I sure as hell don't want to see another NOES or TCM house anytime soon. And Hitchcock? Seriously? Who in the GP can name 3 Hitchcock movies and their plots aside from Psycho and The Birds? He was a master at what he did, but adapting his work to a house? I don't think so.

And the only house I was asked for an opinion on was Walking Dead. I wonder if anyone complained it was too short (which was an option). I simply said I was burned out of seeing WD at HHN.

• Like 1

And Hitchcock? Seriously? Who in the GP can name 3 Hitchcock movies and their plots aside from Psycho and The Birds? He was a master at what he did, but adapting his work to a house? I don't think so.

While I agree that only a few of his movies would really work (Psycho, The Birds, and Rear Window in a long stretch), I thinking name Hitchcock movies would surprise you. Maybe not among high school kids, but thirty year olds could name a few. I know very little about his films, and off the top of my head I can name:

Psycho

The Birds

Rear Window

Vertigo

North by Northwest

Rope

The general public likely knew less about Poe, and that house was a success.

What if we see a brand new "All Night Die-In" house which features a lot of content from Hitchcock's movies.

DIE-In featured single scenes showcasing Classic movies. If you have more than one Hitchcock movie, it wouldn't be DIE-In. It would be a Hitchcock house.

DIE-In featured single scenes showcasing Classic movies. If you have more than one Hitchcock movie, it wouldn't be DIE-In. It would be a Hitchcock house.

True, I guess. But I still don't understand how a Hitchcock house would play out. I'm not doubting it or anything. I would just need someone to explain the possibilities of Hitchcock house to me.

What if the Legendary Truth app had nfc functionality, and would activate GAS (Guest-Activated Scares) in the scarezones? Something to the effect of Pirate adventure at magic kingdom. And have each phone only capable of performing the action once per night, to prevent GAS-hogging.

With the bluetooth, a door can secretly be unlocked in the middle of a house. a "bonus room" that would shed light on the storyline of Legendary truth.

• Like 1

True, I guess. But I still don't understand how a Hitchcock house would play out. I'm not doubting it or anything. I would just need someone to explain the possibilities of Hitchcock house to me.

They've done Psycho, what, four times now? So obviously in can be done.

I doubt they would do this but I would love to see a horror anthology show become a house. Something like Twilight Zone (doubt it because of Disney), Tales from the Crypt, Are You Afraid of the Dark, and Goosebumps. The last two could be made into a comedy house since they were for kids and from my childhood. But I doubt The Twilight Zone would translate well because it was more psychological horror but the others might.

The twilight zone could be a great house imo. Could have things from Eye of the Beholder, Terror at 20000 feet, The Masks, and a couple other episodes. Like you said it probably wouldn't be done because of Disney.

I would love to see "The Masks" !!

twilight-zone-o.gif

But I agree, I don't think it'll be done because of the right Disney claims for TOT.

Edited by JackTheREAPER
  • Like 1

The issue with a Twilight Zone house is that, aside from the few episodes with mob violence in them, the scariest looking creatures were in the least action-packed stories. The Masks is a great example. They all look creepy as hell, sure but all they do in the actual episode is sit around a room sniping each other. Terror at 20,000 feet is another good example because the gremlin never directly interacts with the passengers, the fear comes from "Is Captain Kirk insane?"

Could the property become a house? Sure, but to make it the type of Boo-and-Skadoo house Universal actually creates they would have to bastardized the tone of the show. Twilight Zone is thirty minutes of build to a single shock. At Universal, such a deliberately paced house would just feel awkward.

Edited by Legacy
  • Like 1

I thought Deadfall was amazing, but it wasn't as great as everyone makes it out to be honestly. I thought Death Water Bayou was absolutely fantastic and was probably better than every house at HHN this year, save Dollhouse. HoS is an excellent event.

And of the past 3 years, my favorite houses from each year were Gothic, AWiL, Dollhouse. 2 original, 1 IP. If AvP delivered the way it honestly should have, that would've been #1.

I think that this being an anniversary year we may see what happened in 2010 again. A "new age" type of deal where they stop relying on IPs so heavily for a while (keep TWD AHS and maybe a third one) and shift the focus back to original content. Because they really only need 3 properties to bring in guests. Last year no one was coming for FDTD or Drac. Just TWD, AvP, and Halloween. In 2012 they were coming for TWD and Silent Hill, not AC or P&T. In 2013 I think we can safely say there was an audience for all 5 IPs, but this year they shattered attendance records with only 3 strong IPs. So, if they have 3 headliners, I think having an icon house, a sequel, and 4 originals would be a strong enough event to shatter attendance records yet again.

TWD and AHS are locks as far as I'm concerned (but that's only if Fox lets them use AHS). The 3rd IP I'm betting will be a classic movie a la AWiL/Halloween. NoES, Ghostbusters, etc. Maybe put The Strain or another IP in the streets, probably bring back Purge, then 4 all new zones. B&T, RHPS, and a new third show.

OR, if they really want to reinvent themselves for the 25h anniversary, go back to not having TWD dominate the event. That would be a dream, and probably is only a dream.

• Like 2