HHN 21 Discussion

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commercials are an admittedly flawed indicator of the icon they portray, but...

This honestly felt like a howl-o-scream commercial, instead of an HHN one. Is Lady Luck supposed to be a horror icon....? The complete lack of intensity leads me to believe that I'm supposed to walk away from this 30 second spot thinking "I'd hope for her to die in a horror movie." rather than "She's the reason for the horror movie." I hardly feel like she's dangerous.

I skeptically await these "multiple sides" that people keep promising.

Edited by Blizzrock13

Whoa! What an leaky day!

This is a screencap from the commercial at 00:13

LadyLCommercial.jpg

Is this Lady Luck's "other side"?

Gosh I hope this "other side" is better that the one we already saw on the GTN preview commercial...

Looks like an ad for 'Cougar Life' to me. "Unzip young man or this cougar is going to rip your pants off with her claws.... ggrrrr"

I'm NEVER one to be critical of creative (at least with regard to HHN) but I sure hope there's a much darker side to all this... MUCH darker...

Edited by excalibursp

Let me make one thing clear - I hold a lot of respect for A&D and the work they do. I'm a huge fan of much of what they do! But I'm also a naturally critical person and will, as I have in the past, offer what I believe to be fair comparisons of the stuff they put out. I am not trying to condemn Lady Luck - if you read my posts you'll see I've been rooting for her to be a fleshed out, terrifying icon from the beginning, so don't slap me with the "you'll hate anything" label. It is my hope that this partial cut can be significantly improved once it's officially released by Universal - but for now - it doesn't look good.

Several reasons why this particular commercial (partial cut or otherwise) is awful:

-The Narrator. No Narrator until the kill/scare is the way to do it. Look at 2007 or 2008 or 2009 - no narrator until the victim has been killed, works fine. Hell, even earlier commercials like 2002 and 2003 have NO NARRATION AT ALL. The narrator kills any sense of suspense or dread - same issue last year (2010). Let the story tell itself, no narration is needed.

-The Loudest Victim Ever. Seriously, does this guy shut up? His grunting is so unbearably annoying - it's not terrifying, it's just unneeded noise.

-Lady Luck's voice. Goodness, I imagined something more sinister. She's downright campy, especially at the end, holy crap. She should've taken a lesson from The Director or The Caretaker - or at least go off of Jack and only say a single phrase. "Come try your luck" was godawful and nearly made me facepalm. I'm not even going to address what the hell that bird is supposed to be doing.

-What is even happening to the victim? He's strapped to the wheel of misfortune as expected. As Lady Luck explains shrilly, red you win, black you lose - what happens when you lose? It isn't shown. FEAR repeat - we have no idea what happens. He just keeps grunting. No payoff to the setup.

-This simply is not scary. Nothing about it is creepy or terrifying, it's just campy and the sound annoying. Here's hoping the full cut is better, but I think it's unsalvageable at this point...

If this is any indication, Lady Luck may be FEAR 2.0 in terms of final execution. This "second side" of her seems to be hyped up a lot by the insiders here, but I've yet to see any payoff. I really don't see how anything else could be incorporated into the final commercial.

Edited by Fallow

Several reasons why this commercial (partial cut or otherwise) is awful:

-The Narrator. No Narrator until the kill/scare is the way to do it. Look at 2007 or 2008 or 2009 - no narrator until the victim has been killed, works fine. Hell, even earlier commercials like 2002 and 2003 have NO NARRATION AT ALL. The narrator kills any sense of suspense or dread - same issue last year (2010). Let the story tell itself, no narration is needed.

-The Loudest Victim Ever. Seriously, does this guy shut up? His grunting is so unbearably annoying - it's not terrifying, it's just unneeded noise.

-Lady Luck's voice. Goodness, I imagined something more sinister. She's downright campy, especially at the end, holy crap. She should've taken a lesson from The Director or The Caretaker - or at least go off of Jack and only say a single phrase. "Come try your luck" was godawful and nearly made me facepalm. I'm not even going to address what the hell that bird is supposed to be doing.

-What is even happening to the victim? He's strapped to the wheel of misfortune as expected. As Lady Luck explains shrilly, red you win, black you lose - what happens when you lose? It isn't shown. FEAR repeat - we have no idea what happens. He just keeps grunting. No payoff to the setup.

-This simply is not scary. Nothing about it is creepy or terrifying, it's just campy and the sound annoying. Here's hoping the full cut is better, but I think it's unsalvageable at this point...

If this is any indication, Lady Luck may be FEAR 2.0 in terms of final execution. This "second side" of her seems to be hyped up a lot by the insiders here, but I've yet to see any payoff. I really don't see how anything else could be incorporated into the final commercial.

I agree this teaser is a tad disappointing, but the look and concept of the character is strong. This isn't the full promo, and as people have mentioned there is a darker side to her. This is just one aspect of her. Think of the queen card they showed that strikes the same hairdo. All royal cards in a deck have two sides to them, I'm sure this will be reflected with her character as well. Time will tell if this turns out to be Fear 2.0 or not.

Let me make one thing clear - I hold a lot of respect for A&D and the work they do. I'm a huge fan of much of what they do! But I'm also a naturally critical person and will, as I have in the past, offer what I believe to be fair comparisons of the stuff they put out. I am not trying to condemn Lady Luck - if you read my posts you'll see I've been rooting for her to be a fleshed out, terrifying icon from the beginning, so don't slap me with the "you'll hate anything" label. It is my hope that this partial cut can be significantly improved once it's officially released by Universal - but for now - it doesn't look good.

Several reasons why this particular commercial (partial cut or otherwise) is awful:

what ever happened to the original way they use to make the commercials last good commercial was 09....last years sucked and looks like this is following with the same patten of all flash and no sizzle

Basing an event off half a commerical? Seems a bit hasty. Geeze this is why the reveal should have been yesterday <_<

I'm not condemning the entire event. Not even condemning Lady Luck. Just noting the pattern FEAR followed last year is the one that is being followed this year with Luck. I think the event itself should be great (house line-up has me pumped), but based on this commercial cut the icon is a disappointment.

By the way, everyone hoped the FEAR commercial leaked with Ellen wasn't the final commercial, and that the final one would be different and superior. It was the same commercial.

Well, I'm sure the houses will be great, they all have great concepts, and the theme itself isn't the problem as you guys already said, in fact I was really excited with our Lady Luck speculation until...

WTF WITH THIS COMMERCIAL?? It looks like one of those fan-made commercials from youtube.

The narrator, the music, the makeup, the acting, what the hell with that accent anyway? AWFUL execution!

It looks like HOS '09 commercial meets Desperate Housewives.

They better put this MILF with needles in her eyes mutilating people all over the place or something for the final commercial release.

Is there any kind of creative filter before stuff like this is being released?

(sigh)...dear Michel Roddy, where are you when we need you?

Well, I'm sure the houses will be great, they all have great concepts, and the theme itself isn't the problem as you guys already said, in fact I was really excited with our Lady Luck speculation until...

WTF WITH THIS COMMERCIAL?? It looks like one of those fan-made commercials from youtube.

The narrator, the music, the makeup, the acting, what the hell with that accent anyway? AWFUL execution!

It looks like HOS '09 commercial meets Desperate Housewives.

They better put this MILF with needles in her eyes mutilating people all over the place or something for the final commercial release.

Is there any kind of creative filter before stuff like this is being released?

(sigh)...dear Michel Roddy, where are you when we need you?

woah woah woah..... lets not get carried away here.... I mean, I wouldn't go calling her a MILF! :P

seriously though, I think now more than ever we need to practice patience. The commercial cut may not be very good but its not a lost potential.

although that bird thrown in makes me wonder more than hate... there's gotta be more.

Edited by L8NiteEngineer

[...] By the way, everyone hoped the FEAR commercial leaked with Ellen wasn't the final commercial, and that the final one would be different and superior. It was the same commercial.

This is my biggest fear right now...(see what I did there?)

Edited by Ely

Looks like an ad for 'Cougar Life' to me. "Unzip young man or this cougar is going to rip your pants off with her claws.... ggrrrr"

I'm NEVER one to be critical of creative (at least with regard to HHN) but I sure hope there's a much darker side to all this... MUCH darker...

t7dhv.gif

hahahaha this made me laugh

I don't think the commercial is that bad, is a little campy but, is not as terrible, Is a Thousand times better than Fear, at least she has more personality, I seriously dont hate it, Sure it could have been more scary or something but, This is Not the worst, Fear is the Worst Icon we ever had, there is no way this is worst than the Potato Head with Smooth abs....

The commercial is pretty bad. There is not pay off in the end like past commercials. Like the clown and the directer, you had the bell and the bell i believe. Bloody Mary you had her coming out of the mirror. This, you have.... nothing. No close.

As for Lady Luck.... I know there MIGHT be more... But why is she so old? I was expecting a sexy icon in a very sleek green dress, with maybe another "side" to her. I don't know.. Just a little disappoinred. Even FEAR had more appeal than her in my opinion.

I agree that *lady luck* seems to not have that scary, freaky feel to her. So far, I have to agree that this seems more like H.O.S commercial but its just like JW just said..This isn't even the full commercial! Hopefully the actual one will be more intense, showing use lady luck in all her glory!

Yes, this didn't portray this years event well but I'm sure this is just a taste of whats in store for us this year =]

t7dhv.gif

hahahaha this made me laugh

I don't think the commercial is that bad, is a little campy but, is not as terrible, Is a Thousand times better than Fear, at least she has more personality, I seriously dont hate it, Sure it could have been more scary or something but, This is Not the worst, Fear is the Worst Icon we ever had, there is no way this is worst than the Potato Head with Smooth abs....

Fear was, at the very least, slightly intimidating (in the promotions, not in the park). He was boring, but that was because he wasn't fleshed out. We wanted more. Lady Luck, on the other hand,....I'm not sure how much more I actually want....

Oh well. Presumably, on the 31st we'll have a much better idea of what we're in for, for better or worse.