HHN 21 Discussion

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet. Thanks!

I still think the audio was the star in this house.

Mae

I agree completely. It was one of the first houses that made me a little on edge even before entering the house. The soundtrack had that big of an impact on me.

I'm looking forward to the house, personally. I really enjoyed The Thing: Assimilation back in 2007, and I think that between that and Creatures, they've learned from their mistakes when it comes to puppets and animatronics in their houses. I'm hoping we'll see more half-things than puppets this time, a bit more along the lines of JP: Evilution as Karras mentioned. I still think they should have at least a few puppets.

It really seems to be split down the middle of love and hate for the original house. I think is squarely falls on what scares you. My imagination scares me more than anything they can throw at me and the house relied on implied scraes... So it was one of the biggest scares I've had.

Regardless, people should not be biased towards the new house just because of the old house. this is getting the SS upgrade so that means it will be elaborate. Top it off with the first house to be announced... you better believe they will throw their all into it. So the fear of it being the same as '07 is truly unwarranted and i think being disapointed about a movie house is silly. Aside from last year and a handful of others, there has always been a movie house or a movie collage house. It was stated "no movie houses" specifically for last year... and that made sense. No such claim was made this year.

I think the "New ERA" mantra has been misconstrued. The "New Era" was the death of previous icons/franchises and the beginning of new ones. This doesn't mean everything will change. Even with that said, look how much is changing. We have new house entrances, new SZ locations, new franchises, a new icon, a new way of doing auditions, a lack of chainsaw scareactors, etc... Drastic changes so far and I doubt that is the end... But you can't expect them to take movies out a event that revoles around horror movies at a movie theme park. Will there be things people don't like?... ALWAYS. But with new ways to do things there is always room for tweaking, new joys, and new disapointments. Just don't bias yourself before you see it.

It really seems to be split down the middle of love and hate for the original house. I think is squarely falls on what scares you. My imagination scares me more than anything they can throw at me and the house relied on implied scraes... So it was one of the biggest scares I've had.

Regardless, people should not be biased towards the new house just because of the old house. this is getting the SS upgrade so that means it will be elaborate. Top it off with the first house to be announced... you better believe they will throw their all into it. So the fear of it being the same as '07 is truly unwarranted and i think being disapointed about a movie house is silly. Aside from last year and a handful of others, there has always been a movie house or a movie collage house. It was stated "no movie houses" specifically for last year... and that made sense. No such claim was made this year.

I'm normally scared more by imagination that what's thrown at me, but I must have had horrible timing during every walkthrough of this house, because I just got nothing from it. I saw no creatures - only military guys and the few attacks at the beginning of the house, which I found cheesy. So that's where my hatred for the 07 house stems from... it did absolutely nothing to scare me.

I am biased against the new house, I will admit, based on my less than great experiences within the first house. However, I am excited to see what they'll do with the concept while having it set in Antarctica, and while utilizing a soundstage.

The Thing is one of my favorite movies EVER...so I loved the house. Just seeing the fake frozen Kurt Russel, Blair Monster, and Dog made the house heaven for me.

I'll admit, it was light on the scares, but I was soooooooooooo into the house I was more than happy to walk through sightseeing. Of course, the fact that I wasn't looking for scares made me get the bejesus scared out of me a couple times :lol:

I've already chimed in on this on the The Thing thread that lasted a few hours :P So I'll just give a short recap here.

I am looking forward to The Thing, mostly because of my love for Carpenter's film and because I missed the house in 07. Plus, if there were these issues in 07, here's hoping thay A&D learn from them and improve those aspects this time around. :)

Plus- I like having one or two movie-based houses mixed in with the oiginal content. Variety is great and makes for a stronger overall event. Different people like different things in their haunted houses. I am not a fan of "humor houses" but I know some of y'all love them. Cool. Every year, we seem to get one. You guys can enjoy it and I can do it once (I still have to see it) and do the ones I like better a few extra times. Everyone's happy :rolleyes:

So Orlando's house is the Thing, while Hollywood's is The Thing: Assimilation. Take it for what it's worth, but I believe that means Orlando will have a house that is completely different from it's older counterpart from '07. Hollywood may have something similar to what we had in the past, but I think we are in for something fresh and new, regardless if it is based on a movie. I have a feeling that this house will go in the same direction as The Wolfman house. I believe it will prove to some that the house can be better than the movie adaptation ( I for one did not enjoy the movie at all, but thought the house was fantastic for the Wolfman ). Universal is redoing a classic, which they have done many times in the past. HHN XIX redid three classics, and they were, to me, the best three houses of the event. So we should be optimistic about The Thing house until we have some cold, hard evidence that it lacks originality and scares.

Both houses are going to relatively be the same; it's just that Hollywood's has that extra tag at the end for whatever reason. Almost all of their recent houses have something extra at the end of the name, like Kill, Jason, Kill (Friday the 13th house), Game On (SAW house), or The Life and Crimes of Michael Myers (Halloween house).

I never mind when HHN has a movie house. I don't feel like it subtracts from the event's theme at all, it's a separate entity. I'm excited for The Thing house, I think the version they did in '07 was fantastic house wise. But I honestly didn't get -one- scare in that house, and there was so many great opportunities. Especially in the dog hallway which had the thickest fog I've seen since they did HHN in IOA. I think really failed because of the puppetry they used. Just like Dinosaur Pirate mentioned, I hope they've learned from some of their puppetry faux pas like Creatures.

I have high hopes for this house and the only thing I ask for is -cold- air. Like..freezing cold air.

It's odd. I always thought The Thing: Assimilation was so well received. If I remember correctly, Elm Street won house of the year, but Assimilation was a close second and got a lot of positive reviews for being a leap forward. And it WAS. It was a great house. The puppets added a whole new element to the experience (one that unfortunately we haven't seen effectively used since). I always got plenty of scares in it, and it was one of the coolest environments I've ever been thrown into. So...it takes me by surprise that there's this much backlash.

The question with this house will be if they can differentiate it significantly from the original. I think it'll be pretty similar of course -- but what franchise isn't? The feel of the house, I think, will be the big change. Assimilation was like being thrown into a sci-fi action movie. I doubt the 2011 version will follow suit. The house will focus on recreating notable scenes from the new movie, so I'm pretty sure massive shootouts and military teams can be ruled out. Instead of soldiers running around battling various incarnations of the thing, ala Assimilation, I expect we'll see more researchers here. Of course it'll be puppet-heavy, but this will be a much more conventional HHN house than we saw in '07.

I have high hopes for this one, personally. If it is -- as speculated -- in one of the soundstages, we'll see the concept from a whole new angle with larger, more elaborate sets. Sure, it's not all new. But it's one house of eight. The negative responses have been a tad overblown.

~Blizz

Is it just me, or was the 2007 house more like Aliens? Soldiers in armor running around shooting assault rifles and shotguns all over the place (that sounded suspiciously like pulse rifles) and futuristic corridors leading to storage rooms and kennels?

Since this movie is being based on the new movie, it'll be set in an Antarctic base. This means we can expect actual scenery very similar to the original film (The Norwegian camp is very similar in appearance to the American one, to the point where the first movie used the blown-up American camp for the wreckage of the Norwegian one at the beginning), including the utilitarian corridors, rec room with the pool table and bar, medical bay, and possibly the underground ice tunnels and the inside of the alien ship itself.

It's odd. I always thought The Thing: Assimilation was so well received. If I remember correctly, Elm Street won house of the year, but Assimilation was a close second and got a lot of positive reviews for being a leap forward. And it WAS. It was a great house. The puppets added a whole new element to the experience (one that unfortunately we haven't seen effectively used since). I always got plenty of scares in it, and it was one of the coolest environments I've ever been thrown into. So...it takes me by surprise that there's this much backlash.

The question with this house will be if they can differentiate it significantly from the original. I think it'll be pretty similar of course -- but what franchise isn't? The feel of the house, I think, will be the big change. Assimilation was like being thrown into a sci-fi action movie. I doubt the 2011 version will follow suit. The house will focus on recreating notable scenes from the new movie, so I'm pretty sure massive shootouts and military teams can be ruled out. Instead of soldiers running around battling various incarnations of the thing, ala Assimilation, I expect we'll see more researchers here. Of course it'll be puppet-heavy, but this will be a much more conventional HHN house than we saw in '07.

I have high hopes for this one, personally. If it is -- as speculated -- in one of the soundstages, we'll see the concept from a whole new angle with larger, more elaborate sets. Sure, it's not all new. But it's one house of eight. The negative responses have been a tad overblown.

~Blizz

you are forgetting about the room on 2009 Silver Screams, which did really look like movie

they already did the room and they proved they could do the look of the movie well, I have a feeling we might see something very similar to the room in silver screams

(Actually reading the comments seems like Everyone has a case of amnesia form Silver screams...jeez)

Edited by black mask

I'm actually looking foward to this house, I remember the one back in 2007 and I really like the set although they can improve with putting more of the things because I remember leaving that house without getting scared but I have high expectation for the 11 house of the thing...I'm excited....I also like the old movie of the thing, great horror film...I hope the new one going to good also I wonder if the house is going to based off the new movie

I'm actually looking foward to this house, I remember the one back in 2007 and I really like the set although they can improve with putting more of the things because I remember leaving that house without getting scared but I have high expectation for the 11 house of the thing...I'm excited....I also like the old movie of the thing, great horror film...I hope the new one going to good also I wonder if the house is going to based off the new movie

Yes. Yes, it is based off the new movie.

ORLANDO, Fla. (July 19, 2011) — An abandoned scientific research facility in the midst of a vast and frozen Antarctica will set the stage for “The Thing,” an all-new haunted house inspired by Universal Pictures’ upcoming thriller, at Universal Orlando Resort’s Halloween Horror Nights 21.

you are forgetting about the room on 2009 Silver Screams, which did really look like movie

they already did the room and they proved they could do the look of the movie well, I have a feeling we might see something very similar to the room in silver screams

(Actually reading the comments seems like Everyone has a case of amnesia form Silver screams...jeez)

Never forgotten!

However, it was overwhelmed by the other scenes...The Thing's space was really, really small and consisted of crates, crates, and more crates. There was one static prop on the nights I went, not even an actor. In comparison to the rest of that house, it fell very short; The Strangers, Sean of the Dead, Evil Dead, and even the beautiful, abbreviated, and isolated Phantom of the Opera scene was more memorable. It just didn't fit in with the scope of the house.

Which is another reason I look forward to it getting the soundstage treatment. ;)

Mae

Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage being at the event on the final night? Do they do anything special or different that they dont do on any other night? Just wondered as i've never attended the last night but i will be in Orlando then.

Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage being at the event on the final night? Do they do anything special or different that they dont do on any other night? Just wondered as i've never attended the last night but i will be in Orlando then.

Sometimes. They've been known in the past (Tales of Terror) to conclude that years theme. Lately A&D has added things to the final few days, scarezones... etc.

In regards to movie houses at the event I think that these houses really showcase just how amazing universal is when it comes to making houses for the event. Their ability to replicate these movie sets so realistically is what really reaches out to the general audience. It gives them something to compare it to and associate a memory with. I think we all can remember a movie or movies that scared us throughout our lives. While I do enjoy seeing their original creations more I don't think I would appreciate them as much without seeing how well they can duplicate the movie houses.

Both houses are going to relatively be the same; it's just that Hollywood's has that extra tag at the end for whatever reason. Almost all of their recent houses have something extra at the end of the name, like Kill, Jason, Kill (Friday the 13th house), Game On (SAW house), or The Life and Crimes of Michael Myers (Halloween house).

It's because John Murdy, creative director of USH HHN, changes the houses so there aren't repeats. With the Saw: Game Over and Saw: Game On, there were very few differences, but there were definitely differences. Murdy doesn't like to repeat himself, so he differentiates the mazes by their taglines since most are recurring franchises.

It's because John Murdy, creative director of USH HHN, changes the houses so there aren't repeats. With the Saw: Game Over and Saw: Game On, there were very few differences, but there were definitely differences. Murdy doesn't like to repeat himself, so he differentiates the mazes by their taglines since most are recurring franchises.

You give Murdy way too much credit, my friend. If he hates repeating himself, then why does he do it so often? 2007 and 2008 were essentially the same exact event. I think the subtitles are there to fool the public into thinking it's something new when it's mostly the same (i.e. the Saw mazes).

However, since I will be attending the event on both coasts, it will be fascinating to see how each Thing house differs.

In regards to movie houses at the event I think that these houses really showcase just how amazing universal is when it comes to making houses for the event. Their ability to replicate these movie sets so realistically is what really reaches out to the general audience. It gives them something to compare it to and associate a memory with. I think we all can remember a movie or movies that scared us throughout our lives. While I do enjoy seeing their original creations more I don't think I would appreciate them as much without seeing how well they can duplicate the movie houses.

I have to agree. Universal is known for movies.. It makes sense to have a movie house, right? I'm excited for the thing house. The movie comes out the weekend I'm going. So, basically, I'm gonna watch the movie during the day and then live it that night. I think it's gonna be a cool experience!

Hello everyone... been gone for a while what with it not being October and looking for work. That aside, I think Universal does have every inclination to create movie based houses. Personally I'm not a fan of movie houses and here's why. If you've seen the movie that a house is based on, you can't help but have certain expectations of that house (at least I do). You might not get your favorite "scene" from the movie which becomes an instant "let down". I LOVED the Thing house in 2007 which is rare for me to like a movie house so I'm a little apprehensive about this one. But only time will tell... Regardless, very much looking forward to HHN 21!

Well another house is official. From HHN twitter feed "HorrorNights Universal Halloween

So its offical...we're doing Hostel: Hunting Season at HHN 2011. Working directly with Eli Roth on this one. Extreme gore fest!"

Apparently the director of the film is helping design the maze.

That's only for Hollywood. Orlando isn't getting a Hostel maze.

• 2 weeks later...

who knows dude.. but all i remember is that they didnt have it open because of how close it got to guests... just saying haha

It's mostly a matter of protecting the guests from other guests. since the lines for the soundstage houses are usually under the rocket, there's nothing protecting them from any loose articles being launched at them at 70mph. not that i wouldn't take the opportunity to pelt a handful of change at some asshole guest cutting in line or something from the vantage point of the rocket. tee hee hee.