HHN 21 Discussion

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had to have bad timing cuz i didnt get scared once nor was i very impressed with the house in general. this time they worled with thefilmakers directly. im hoping for the best this time around i mean its going to be a completely different house.

Not too happy The Thing is making a return. Besides the fact that the remake is sacreligious the original house for The Thing wasn't scary (to me). The puppets continuously doing the same movements. I'm hoping we see actors in alien costumes and they get rid of the puppets. Not military guys chilling around watching you as you pass. Let's hope the other 7 are classic.

It's not a remake, it's a prequel.

If you really want to get technical, it's a prequel to John Carpenter's film, "The Thing" and a reboot of "The Thing From Another World."

If you really want to get technical, it's a prequel to John Carpenter's film, "The Thing" and a reboot of "The Thing From Another World."

Yes, that too. It looks to be a more direct remake of The Thing From Another World than The Thing was, or at least the basic plot.

Anyway, what could make or break this house is how the Thing is represented. The flaw with the previous house was that it was easy to miss a lot of the scares, since they needed to reset. Also, puppets and animatronics are predictable... hopefully, there will be more scareactors than puppeteers this time around.

Judging by the trailer, it looks like the first Thing they dissect is one of the giant monster ones. I think it'll have more focus on the humans transforming and trying to kill everyone in their alien forms, so we could see a lot of prosthetics.

If you look at Evilution & JP Extinction from 2002 the half-man half-dino costumes looked excellent. Hopefully A&D will take a page out of that book in creating The Thing.

jpex2.jpg

Sorry for quality.

I know the site says the house will be based off the upcoming "prequel" but it would be classy if A&D did The Thing: Re-Assimilation :huh: with elements of the new film.

Edited by Karras

I LOVED the first house, don't know why, i know the complains, but, first that house managed to freak the hell out of me, i got really scared,

second, i loved what they did with the body and the thing hanging from the ceiling i really dont know why, maybe is because of the subject matter but the house scared me, and i loved the sets,

knowing is coming back has me SO happy!! i am really thrilled,

sorry if i missed it but, what building is the Thing house? is it a soundstage?

Am I the only one who liked the first house? I've actually been waiting for the prequel for some time now. I liked the original house, so I'm looking forward to the one this year.

Not at all. The Thing house back in 2007 in my opinion was amazing. The detail and the scares were fantastic and I think that this years Thing house will be really amped up... :)

I LOVED the first house, don't know why, i know the complains, but, first that house managed to freak the hell out of me, i got really scared,

second, i loved what they did with the body and the thing hanging from the ceiling i really dont know why, maybe is because of the subject matter but the house scared me, and i loved the sets,

knowing is coming back has me SO happy!! i am really thrilled,

sorry if i missed it but, what building is the Thing house? is it a soundstage?

Recent speculation and hypotheses point The Thing house to be in SS22.

But I understand why some folks didn't like Assimilation due to the overuse of puppets/animatronics; they work best when A] the line is pulsed, and B] they aren't the focal point of the attraction. With option A, it's obvious because they can be reset when no one is around, and, therefore, everyone gets to experience the effect. With option B, the problem of overuse can be the same as the overuse of blood and gore in an attraction; too much of it is overkill and the rest of the house will suffer because of it (but only if the rest of the house isn't on par with the standout feature, which, 9 times out of 10, it isn't, thus the house fails).

Was the original house that bad?? i mean i see everyones not that excited to see a remake

The reception of The Thing: Assimilation is very "hot and cold." It was a surprisingly "advanced" house when it came to effects, especially puppetry, but because of that it suffered from timing issues. Last year's Legendary Truth is very similar in that, if you went through on bad timing it was a very boring house. In The Thing, puppets and effects had to reset, and they spent more time reseting than scaring. It's one of the downsides of "effect" heavy houses. Also, some of the more advanced and impressive puppets got broken during opening weekend and never got fixed.

That's not even taking into account that the Thing "seems" to fly in the face of everything we were told last year. We were told that the event would avoid movie houses and "remakes/sequels/prequels" from the last twenty years and the first announced house is both. We understand that A&D, as much as they enjoy The Thing movie, probably didn't have as much say in this as management did, and that is leading to our frustration.

Recent speculation and hypotheses point The Thing house to be in SS22.

No, it doesn't. It points to a soundstage, but not that one. It's most likely in SS23A.

That's not even taking into account that the Thing "seems" to fly in the face of everything we were told last year. We were told that the event would avoid movie houses and "remakes/sequels/prequels" from the last twenty years and the first announced house is both. We understand that A&D, as much as they enjoy The Thing movie, probably didn't have as much say in this as management did, and that is leading to our frustration.

Did they ever specifically say no more movie houses? I don't remember that from last year. Even if A&D or Universal PR said it, it seems kinda silly to assume they'd NEVER do film tie-ins.

Did they ever specifically say no more movie houses? I don't remember that from last year. Even if A&D or Universal PR said it, it seems kinda silly to assume they'd NEVER do film tie-ins.

I know right, the whole slogan for the park is live the movies why on earth wouldn't they have movie houses.

Well, we weren't expecting no more movie houses ever in the history of the event... but we expected for that statement to at least last until the next year. Or for a couple years.

So Orlando's house is the Thing, while Hollywood's is The Thing: Assimilation. Take it for what it's worth, but I believe that means Orlando will have a house that is completely different from it's older counterpart from '07. Hollywood may have something similar to what we had in the past, but I think we are in for something fresh and new, regardless if it is based on a movie. I have a feeling that this house will go in the same direction as The Wolfman house. I believe it will prove to some that the house can be better than the movie adaptation ( I for one did not enjoy the movie at all, but thought the house was fantastic for the Wolfman ). Universal is redoing a classic, which they have done many times in the past. HHN XIX redid three classics, and they were, to me, the best three houses of the event. So we should be optimistic about The Thing house until we have some cold, hard evidence that it lacks originality and scares.

I enjoyed the house, but not for the startle factor. It utilized 'unseen' threats; great sound effects and partially obscured or interrupted scenes very effectively. Without the 'boo!' factor I think it may have suffered a little, but I felt the paranoia it created worked well. Maybe I'm more sensitive to things like that, I don't know. By the end of the house, right before you see the giant alien monster, I was so tense that I was jumping at everything whether I was meant to or not.

I think that it can only benefit from being moved to a SS.

Mae