Halloween Horror Nights 29 Speculation

Mark M.

Seeds Of Extinction was awesome house, awesome backstory, the fact that you didn't need any other human characters just the creatures themselves it was perfect, I'd love to see another house like it, this house next to Tombs back at 26 were just awesome and Depths Of Fear, I feel with the information we had been given, yes it may draw some questions to people but I feel like when we actually experience the house, it'll all make sense and the house should be really cool. 

• Like 5

Looking at the speculation map again I am totally fine with this years line up. Arguably yes it won't go down as the "scariest" event but I think it isn't any need for a concern of the event losing the horror in horror nights. I'll admit it is a concern I usually express as well because I want the event to remain scary but whenever I have had these concerns in the past the event always delivers in the scares so we need to trust the process a bit. I think they understand what people want is to be scared and this year just has its share of more "fun" properties. Actually if done right KKFOS could be really scary or at least I don't see it straying far from Giggles 'n Gore which I remember people enjoying and not having a issue with. Also I am sure Nightingales, 1000 Corpses, Us and Depths of Fear can bring that classic dread feeling (I feel Yeti and Graveyard could also possibly but they could also skew more fun). Yes I am not going into this year saying wow I am going to s**t my pants but I do believe I will go into this event and have a really fun time. Also as we have discussed over the years we are more in it for aesthetics and overall package, scarier haunts usually are outside of HHN.

• Like 3

At the end of the day, it's not about whether or not you find it scary, but whether or not you find it fun. 

I can remember a year or two in which I wasn't really scared, but was entertained and had a blast. Though, often times I found the 'scariest' houses to be the original ones rather than any IP. Still, I agree with Rikku, the older I get, the more I go to just appreciate the set design and costumes. It's the best looking event by far in the US, I think! 

Edited by Bozo
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, Rikku said:

Looking at the speculation map again I am totally fine with this years line up. Arguably yes it won't go down as the "scariest" event but I think it isn't any need for a concern of the event losing the horror in horror nights. I'll admit it is a concern I usually express as well because I want the event to remain scary but whenever I have had these concerns in the past the event always delivers in the scares so we need to trust the process a bit. I think they understand what people want is to be scared and this year just has its share of more "fun" properties. Actually if done right KKFOS could be really scary or at least I don't see it straying far from Giggles 'n Gore which I remember people enjoying and not having a issue with. Also I am sure Nightingales, 1000 Corpses, Us and Depths of Fear can bring that classic dread feeling (I feel Yeti and Graveyard could also possibly but they could also skew more fun). Yes I am not going into this year saying wow I am going to s**t my pants but I do believe I will go into this event and have a really fun time. Also as we have discussed over the years we are more in it for aesthetics and overall package, scarier haunts usually are outside of HHN.

I do think this year will be scarier than last year—the originals look like they will be played VERY straight.

This might sound really stupid but is the MIB tent capable of having a facade? I know for hhn 26,27,28 it just had a poster practically. I would love to see the murderride for house of 1000 corpses but scared to get my hopes up honestly. 

On another topic, I'd love to see them get away from such an antiseptic/standardized front gate facade.  It's the first thing you see when you're walking into the event...  It needs to pop.

I believe the last decent year of front gate design was with Bloody Mary.

Edited by BenjaminNicholas
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

On another topic, I'd love to see them get away from such an antiseptic/standardized front gate facade.  It's the first thing you see when you're walking into the event...  It needs to pop.

My guess would be they have to be careful what they do with the front gate since it stays up the entire time and they want to remain family friendly during the day. I think they could do more than what they've been doing, but might not want to risk it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, kablue said:

My guess would be they have to be careful what they do with the front gate since it stays up the entire time and they want to remain family friendly during the day. I think they could do more than what they've been doing, but might not want to risk it.

They've done screens before.  They can spend a little and jazz it up again.

What they can do with intelligent lighting and projection mapping could make the front gate look incredible.  Daytime show wouldn't be affected. 

• Like 1

Yeah it's interesting that they don't go all in on decorating the entrance. They could easily dress up the globe and arches like the concept art for ST like this year and last. They had the Upside Down vine things  around the arcade games out in the open for day time guests in the Universal Studios Store near the entrance to the park. for HHN 28 Not necessarily family friendly looking but its not gory or hidden during the day like certain other props and such...

Netflixâs Stranger Things Returns to Halloween Horror Nights in All-New Haunted House Experience

Download Stranger Things-Themed Halloween Horror Nights Wallpapers

Image result for universal studios store stranger things

• Like 5

14 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

They've done screens before.  They can spend a little and jazz it up again.

What they can do with intelligent lighting and projection mapping could make the front gate look incredible.  Daytime show wouldn't be affected. 

Since the area right in front of the gate\security gets super crowed having the projector tower right in the middle of that area might cause even more congestion, thou I like the idea. I miss the themed entrances from back in the day. 

• Like 1

I do miss the days of a more detailed entrance and would love for something anything more to liven up the entrance, especially since the last two years the immediate scare zone is a photo op of the overall event. So I think if some detail of the photo op scare zone could creep out onto the entrance that would be a great transition and think would look amazing!

• Like 3

I've worked A/V for a long time and they wouldn't need to put up huge towers to facilitate projection mapping.  New projectors are no longer water-cooled and don't need a ton of space to park.  

I've worked with this company's products before.  HHN could easily integrate these:

https://lumitrix.eu/

It's a matter of budget, I know, but for the amount of cash this event rakes in (and don't fool yourself, it's insane), they need to constantly be upping their game along with their ticket price. 

I remember the year they did the crumbling/melting wall with projection mapping on the street.  Cool effect, but I also noticed it was relatively dim and the image definition was muddy.  Took a look at the projector they were using:  It was ancient considering what they could have probably gotten their hands on being USO.  

On 7/27/2019 at 10:57 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

As much as I'd like to see the main gate all fancied up, it just doesn't make sense anymore. They don't need to sell the event like they use to. I think it was mainly used to attract visitors during the daytime, the one's who didn't have a HHN ticket. Seeing the gate may have persuaded them to see what HHN is all about. Also, the immersive overall theme has gone to the wayside. Personally, I'd love for them to bring it back, but if they're going to use that money on making the houses/streets better instead I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, HHN Explorer said:

As much as I'd like to see the main gate all fancied up, it just doesn't make sense anymore. They don't need to sell the event like they use to. I think it was mainly used to attract visitors during the daytime, the one's who didn't have a HHN ticket. Seeing the gate may have persuaded them to see what HHN is all about. Also, the immersive overall theme has gone to the wayside. Personally, I'd love for them to bring it back, but if they're going to use that money on making the houses/streets better instead I'm all for it.

We're acting like they're on a baloney and white bread budget here. 

They've got the cash...  They can shell out for a decent front gate without it eating into their bottom line too badly.  Just throw up three more alcohol tents.  BAM.  SOLVED.

Bottom line, I want the whole event to remain immersive.  Sure, it probably won't happen because Joe Six-Pack probably doesn't care about what a front gate looks like, but I'm still putting it out there. 

I don't put it in a signature or my profile, but I've been doing HHN since it was simply Fright Nights.  I'm an OG.  And in being an old codger, I am ridiculously opinionated on what I want to see and how the event has changed (and continues to change).

:)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

We're acting like they're on a baloney and white bread budget here. 

They've got the cash...  They can shell out for a decent front gate without it eating into their bottom line too badly.  Just throw up three more alcohol tents.  BAM.  SOLVED.

Bottom line, I want the whole event to remain immersive.  Sure, it probably won't happen because Joe Six-Pack probably doesn't care about what a front gate looks like, but I'm still putting it out there. 

I don't put it in a signature or my profile, but I've been doing HHN since it was simply Fright Nights.  I'm an OG.  And in being an old codger, I am ridiculously opinionated on what I want to see and how the event has changed (and continues to change).

:)

Now to be fair, I don't think the entrance was really decorated until 17-23. I know for a fact that 16 was no more decorated than 24-present.

So on the subject of Stranger Things, I highly doubt season 4 comes before 2021. Would they take a year off of the property at 30 and allow maybe Haunting of Hill House to take its place for a year (and likely TWD for the movie)?

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 1

Well Epic Universe has been officially announced. Now that that's out of the way, hopefully we'll be getting the rest of HHN announced sooner than later.  Can't believe we're coming up on 5 weeks already!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, marc said:

Well Epic Universe has been officially announced. Now that that's out of the way, hopefully we'll be getting the rest of HHN announced sooner than later.  Can't believe we're coming up on 5 weeks already!

Watch HHN come to Epic Universe one year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Insane24Se7en said:

Obviously next year they are going to have HHN at all 4 parks ... Make it a Halloween Destination with 30 houses in celebration of the anniversary

That's going to be an awful lot of work getting that park finished in a year's time...

Edited by StupidStupidDan
spelling
  • Haha 1

Universal didn't do that before and they won't do that, when HHN had their anniversary for Orlando, Hollywood did other things, so Orlando seems to be the only doing the anniversary since we've used the icons more, next year will definitely be Jack over all the icons which yes seems like a missed opportunity to give other icons their due at the light again but again Marketing will find a way to get their foot in the door having their way which sucks but I feel like somewhere near the end of HHN this year we might get a hint of what's to come next year and maybe sneak peek at Jack's return like they had done back at 24 with the video package having Jack appearing interrupting certain parts.