Halloween Horror Nights 28 Speculation

Mark M.

9 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Better be all original, and very good zones--no recycled Purge in NY, etc. I hope an 8/1 split isn't the new normal. I'm currently leaning towards not attending this year, TBH. Unless this semi-original is on the same lines as my idea for a classic monster house, that is.

I agree the zones have to be much better than last year's, but I consider the IPs that are rumored to be some of the best HHN will have had in a long time, I mean come on, an original The Thing house? Maybe it's just my enjoyment and in some cases adoration of these IPs, but I'm excited for this year.

Edited by fvcking cvnt
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, fvcking cvnt said:

I agree the zones have to be much better than last year's, but I consider the IPs that are rumored to be some of the best HHN will have had in a long time, I mean come on, an original The Thing house? Maybe it's just my enjoyment and in some cases adoration of these IPs, but I'm excited for this year.

Oh yeah, the fact that it's those IPs and no WD, (hopefully) no Purge and minimal AHS is still making me considering attending. Still gotta wait and see. I would hope in case of only one original that it isn't just some thrown together house in the MIB tent.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Oh yeah, the fact that it's those IPs and no WD, Purge and minimal AHS is still making me considering attending. Still gotta wait and see. I would hope in case of only one original that it isn't just some thrown together house in the MIB tent.

I can't imagine a world where AHS Cult doesn't get MIB with the main cult house as the facade.

• Like 1

With such an IP heavy year, do you think they might bring The Usher back as the Icon? He is the only Icon (so far) that makes since to have with IP's. Really missed having an Icon last year to tie everything together marketing wise. 

Also, what are we thinking show wise with Bill and Ted gone? AoV is pretty much a sure bet and hopefully they will work on taking down more of the stage if another hurricane hits so they can put on the show they want to and not a rushed replacement. They were still incredible last year and always seem to draw a crowd. With still nothing being done to Fear Factor I'm starting to wonder if we didn't lose Bill and Ted because of the theater being removed but because of the new Bill and Ted movie. Putting AoV there is not a good idea but I wouldn't mind seeing a show like Bill and Ted just without them. The humor and energy of that show was always a nice break from the horror. 

Finally, the Scarezones better be a LOT better than last year! All but 1 zone where just not good compared to years past. I want zones where the actors can interact and talk with guests. Actor interactions can turn an bad zone around simply by what they say to you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

I would love a HR Bloodngutz/Classic Monsters mash-up.... he is hosting his tv show and all the classics get their own room in all B&W.

If we’re sharing Hollywood’s previously exclusive UCM house, I think that will be far too brilliant an idea to be true. :/

14 minutes ago, Badge said:

With such an IP heavy year, do you think they might bring The Usher back as the Icon? He is the only Icon (so far) that makes since to have with IP's. Really missed having an Icon last year to tie everything together marketing wise. 

The Usher would work.

but honestly in my opinion, The Director would be a little more badass this year as he uses the marketing with the IPs are like the movies he’s making and they’re like his little minions in the marketing.

And then do something similar to his All Nite Die In but nothing too similar, do something with the recent horror films like Annabelle and The  Conjuring in there, and put Chucky or something else in there. And then put the Director in a couple of spots of the house to spook the guests.

4 minutes ago, fvcking cvnt said:

I know, I think the rumor is after that we aren’t getting any more outside of anniversary years, I think @Legacy said it if I’m not mistaken

Oh yeah. I’ve heard that from Zombie Chris on YouTube. So yeah an icon will not happen, unless Universal is like Hey we got an amazing idea! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fvcking cvnt said:

I know, I think the rumor is after that we aren’t getting any more outside of anniversary years, I think @Legacy said it if I’m not mistaken

It honestly think it comes down to merchandise sales figures I think.  In 2016, they put Chance on everything and she was part of the commercial and billboards. She also had a zone that sold merchandise on either side zone (the main Universal store and the small store across from Monsters Cafe). Sure, she was a recognizable face from years past but even if you had never been to an HHN before, odds are you encountered her at some point from the time you decided to attend to the time you walked through the front gate.

Now last year was the same concept. Toss a skull on everything to tie the theme together. However a random skull, although cool in design, is not as nearly as popular as a character. You couldn't see or interact with the skull in the park. It wasn't in the commercial. Heck, outside of gift shops that skull was nowhere to be seen! 

People are more likely to purchase something if it has a face/figure/name they know on it. If the Chance merchandise sales far surpass the skull design, you can bet Universal will be pushing to get a recognizable face on the merchandise. Something they can easily use in marketing without having to pay much in licensing fees. As cool as the IP shirts can get, I'm fairly certain they have to share the profit with the IP holder. With the Chance design, that was 100% profit for them. Not to mention the fact that it's great fan service.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Badge said:

It honestly think it comes down to merchandise sales figures I think.  In 2016, they put Chance on everything and she was part of the commercial and billboards. She also had a zone that sold merchandise on either side zone (the main Universal store and the small store across from Monsters Cafe). Sure, she was a recognizable face from years past but even if you had never been to an HHN before, odds are you encountered her at some point from the time you decided to attend to the time you walked through the front gate.

Now last year was the same concept. Toss a skull on everything to tie the theme together. However a random skull, although cool in design, is not as nearly as popular as a character. You couldn't see or interact with the skull in the park. It wasn't in the commercial. Heck, outside of gift shops that skull was nowhere to be seen! 

People are more likely to purchase something if it has a face/figure/name they know on it. If the Chance merchandise sales far surpass the skull design, you can bet Universal will be pushing to get a recognizable face on the merchandise. Something they can easily use in marketing without having to pay much in licensing fees. As cool as the IP shirts can get, I'm fairly certain they have to share the profit with the IP holder. With the Chance design, that was 100% profit for them. Not to mention the fact that it's great fan service.

I agree I wish we had more icons and that they are more profitable, I'm only stating that i don't think we will if the rumor is true

9 hours ago, terracruentus said:

guys i only posted that article because of the possibility that it could *potentially* be on the edge. don’t shoot the messenger here.

this isn’t just “pc culture.” it’s a real issue happening in hollywood with horrible consequences. the first straw on the camel’s back wasn’t exposed until HHN ended last year. id assume they’d be more careful this year

Right it is. Which is why perspective here is important, if one is to entertain the idea of a "potential" property being nixed because of allegations. Which would be two. Two major properties. Brett Ratner, is literally at the center of the Me Too and Times Up movements, and is also chummy with one Harvey Weinstein. Again, Ratner's company, co-produced IT, another "potential" property coming to this year's event. For more perspective, very recently Gal Gadot, threatened to walk away from Wonder Woman 2 if Ratner was anyway involved with that production (as he and his production company was with the first). 

The Stranger Things allegations, are very recent, while the Ratner allegations, are not. If Universal was concerned about any kind of allegations, "potentially" bringing IT to the event would have been nixed long, long ago. 

The Duffer Brothers, have addressed the allegations, and have blamed the high-stress environment of a film set, which can cause tempers to flare. Which if one wants to go with that; sure, that happens. As someone who has worked on a few film sets, it happens. A lot. Ask Christian Bale.

All ip year would be really terrible to me. Even though I at least like, if not love every IP rumored, I like not knowing exactly what I'll see. I also feel that it's unsistainable, they will have to start doing much more frequent repeats, or hopefully start really reaching for cool cult things. Like seriously, if every rumor For IPs comes true this year, what's left for next year, and the year after that? If we have to go for more IPs I hope it's more semi original takes on it like in AVP. This current format of exactly mimicking the film, while it works great for classics, it has the downside of meaning if I watch the film to prepare, then none of the imagery or effects will surprise me. 

Also, I took semi-original to just mean that it's a sequel, possibly interstellar terror 2.

• Like 4

Because I'm too lazy to dig through the 24 pages of this thread, can someone give me a rundown of the current rumored line-up? 

Attending HHN Years: HHN XXV, HHN XXVI, HHN XXVII

Favorite Houses: Jack Presents Monsters & Mayhem, Halloween: Hell Comes To Haddonfield, Scarecrow: The Reaping

Favorite Year: HHN XXVII

• Haha 1

Everyone is panicking because for some reason they think it will be 8/1 ip to original split. I don't understand why they think this.

current IPs

The Thing

Stranger Things

It

Nightmare on Elm Street

Classic Monsters

Halloween(blumhouse)

AHS

Five nights at Freddy's (maybe)

and I think I'm missing one.

originals

all we have is a faint space station rumor.

1 hour ago, Jediwhit82 said:

Everyone is panicking because for some reason they think it will be 8/1 ip to original split. I don't understand why they think this.

current IPs

The Thing

Stranger Things

It

Nightmare on Elm Street

Classic Monsters

Halloween(blumhouse)

AHS

Five nights at Freddy's (maybe)

and I think I'm missing one.

originals

all we have is a faint space station rumor.

There's also a rumor about trick r treat being a house. I don't think so though more likely Halloween. I just think they are gonna do another compilation whether it's blumhouse or movie monsters. 

1 hour ago, Fearlessferret said:

There's also a rumor about trick r treat being a house. I don't think so though more likely Halloween. I just think they are gonna do another compilation whether it's blumhouse or movie monsters. 

But that marketing for Halloween tho :mmyers:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maxmoser said:

Oh yeah. I’ve heard that from Zombie Chris on YouTube. So yeah an icon will not happen, unless Universal is like Hey we got an amazing idea! 

I wonder if Zombie Chris is the same Zombie Chris from the Vault. If so, nice to see the Vault Chat nickname stuck. 

There's an icon who has an 80's backstory. An icon who was obsessed with 80's horror, specifically the slashers. If he could be retconned back to his roots, he would be the perfect icon for the event. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fvcking cvnt said:

An icon can happen, it just has the click all the buttons. Marketing, I've been told, thinks Jack is the only old school icon worth using. A fraction of management, I've similarly been told, thinks icons are unnecessary entirely.

Any icon has to push through THAT obstacle course to be used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Legacy said:

An icon can happen, it just has the click all the buttons. Marketing, I've been told, thinks Jack is the only old school icon worth using. A fraction of management, I've similarly been told, thinks icons are unnecessary entirely.

Any icon has to push through THAT obstacle course to be used.

They can gives us an icon or we will dub our own. 

Gog and Magog, Eelmouth, Princess Sparkles and Fluffy (you should have named the gargoyles, A&D. Never let me name things for myself), Bone, Rosie, and many others have become unofficial icons/mascots for us fans. If they give us another Bone (honestly his name tells us that creative was giving us a bone), we will call that person an icon/mascot as well. They may not think a face is necessary, but it won't stop us from making one. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mystiquephreeq said:

I wonder if Zombie Chris is the same Zombie Chris from the Vault. If so, nice to see the Vault Chat nickname stuck. 

There's an icon who has an 80's backstory. An icon who was obsessed with 80's horror, specifically the slashers. If he could be retconned back to his roots, he would be the perfect icon for the event. 

You talking about Eddie? 

• Like 2