Halloween Horror Nights 28 Speculation

Mark M.

3 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

Yes. Specifically, Edgar Sawyer. 

His original backstory is perfect for an event with so many 80s connections. 

http://www.horrornightnightmares.com/hhn-icon-eddie/

I was connecting the dots from an 80's perspective and it would be pretty dark if they had a happy, colorful, 80's feel to to the marketing and the event as a whole.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Ringwraith said:

I was connecting the dots from an 80's perspective and it would be pretty dark if they had a happy, colorful, 80's feel to to the marketing and the event as a whole.

I want miles of neon and synth music for days

And no hurricanes. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Catching up on all this and I’m seriously beginning to wonder if they went all in on the originals last year because they had an idea they’d be going heavy on the IP route this year? No clue whatsoever if that’s even how creative (or just Universal in general) would work, or even if they’d be working on 28 that far in advance, but I am curious...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DraculaTeeth said:

Catching up on all this and I’m seriously beginning to wonder if they went all in on the originals last year because they had an idea they’d be going heavy on the IP route this year? No clue whatsoever if that’s even how creative (or just Universal in general) would work, or even if they’d be working on 28 that far in advance, but I am curious...

well Hive was supposed to be Conjuring, so it wasn't meant to have been as original heavy as it ended up being...

The originals were better in my opinion than the IPs. So itll be interesting if they do more or all IPs. Wonder what the shining stars will be. I can see the favorites being it and the thing. Ahs will suffer using one season thatwasn't even that good (cult) which is why i hope they do a ahs origins compilation house showing the birth of all the killers and nasties that appeared in the season. A house dedicated to its killers.

• Like 1

I seriously doubt we would see a year with only one original.  A&D has hit it BIG with their offerings every time - and last year was a crown jewel.  The buzz was all about Scarecrow and Dead Waters.  They must have some kind of leverage with that.  I have to say, I would've killed for a Scarecrow shirt last year.  Anyway, I digress.  HHN is about balance.  Not everyone likes sci-fi, not everyone likes gore, etc, etc.  If you're calling it Halloween Horror Nights - then the horrors must be many, and they must be diversified.  While I am very excited about the idea that the overall theme may be an 80's one (since I actually am a child of the 80's), I still want to see what they will come up with that's new and ORIGINAL.   I am always the first one to say that A&D absolutely rocks the IPs - and some of those have been my faves over the years.  But my heart is with the originals because the scares are unexpected.  We have no idea what to anticipate other than the tiny details we get on the house name and a short blurb on the story.  After that - well, prepare to have your best scares of the event.

I also agree that they need to step it up with the scarezones.  TRT was AMAZING last year - but the others just didn't do it for me, and one absolutely SUCKED.  That bummed me out a bit because, to me, the scarezones are what keep the continuity of the event going.  I love the interactions, and some of my fave actors have been in scarezones.  

As for an icon and marketing.. let me say how much a HATE that Universal has given HHN to their marketing group instead of letting A&D have their fingers in it.  It's the worst decision they ever made.  The soul collectors thing last year was not only stupid, but a huge letdown when not a single thing came of it.  Their Twitter and FB interactions are lame, and they have no concept of what the fans want.  I realize Aiello has moved on to bigger things, but goddam I miss him being the HHN voice on Twitter.  He would always find a way to sneak pics to us or to make those lovely cryptic comments that would set this forum off for days.  Now we got these nob-heads who use the most generic, over-used responses, and they have no initiative, passion or smarts to toss us those lovely bones as we scramble for information.  I just HATE them.  That all being said, if it's up to this group (and the assholes who put them in charge), don't hold your breath for the icon you so desperately want because these idiots can't see the forest for the trees.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

I seriously doubt we would see a year with only one original.  A&D has hit it BIG with their offerings every time - and last year was a crown jewel.  The buzz was all about Scarecrow and Dead Waters.  They must have some kind of leverage with that.  I have to say, I would've killed for a Scarecrow shirt last year.  Anyway, I digress.  HHN is about balance.  Not everyone likes sci-fi, not everyone likes gore, etc, etc.  If you're calling it Halloween Horror Nights - then the horrors must be many, and they must be diversified.  While I am very excited about the idea that the overall theme may be an 80's one (since I actually am a child of the 80's), I still want to see what they will come up with that's new and ORIGINAL.   I am always the first one to say that A&D absolutely rocks the IPs - and some of those have been my faves over the years.  But my heart is with the originals because the scares are unexpected.  We have no idea what to anticipate other than the tiny details we get on the house name and a short blurb on the story.  After that - well, prepare to have your best scares of the event.

I also agree that they need to step it up with the scarezones.  TRT was AMAZING last year - but the others just didn't do it for me, and one absolutely SUCKED.  That bummed me out a bit because, to me, the scarezones are what keep the continuity of the event going.  I love the interactions, and some of my fave actors have been in scarezones.  

As for an icon and marketing.. let me say how much a HATE that Universal has given HHN to their marketing group instead of letting A&D have their fingers in it.  It's the worst decision they ever made.  The soul collectors thing last year was not only stupid, but a huge letdown when not a single thing came of it.  Their Twitter and FB interactions are lame, and they have no concept of what the fans want.  I realize Aiello has moved on to bigger things, but goddam I miss him being the HHN voice on Twitter.  He would always find a way to sneak pics to us or to make those lovely cryptic comments that would set this forum off for days.  Now we got these nob-heads who use the most generic, over-used responses, and they have no initiative, passion or smarts to toss us those lovely bones as we scramble for information.  I just HATE them.  That all being said, if it's up to this group (and the assholes who put them in charge), don't hold your breath for the icon you so desperately want because these idiots can't see the forest for the trees.

We do have the ifrit who im guessing has some sort of in with universal

7 hours ago, Ringwraith said:

I love the juxtaposition of happy/light with dark/morbid. It's why I chose cute names for the gargoyles and I named my trivia team the Homicidal Unicorns. 

The idea of the hyper-happy neon 80's coloring mixed with the macabre amuses and appeals to me. One of my favorite parts of the Twilight Zone Movie ('83) is "It's a Good Life". The coloring and cartoons makes the horror in that part. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

I love the juxtaposition of happy/light with dark/morbid. It's why I chose cute names for the gargoyles and I named my trivia team the Homicidal Unicorns. 

The idea of the hyper-happy neon 80's coloring mixed with the macabre amuses and appeals to me. One of my favorite parts of the Twilight Zone Movie ('83) is "It's a Good Life". The coloring and cartoons makes the horror in that part. 

Ah Twilight Zone the movie - EPIC!  I haven't thought of that one in years.  LOL!  Of course, agree, agree, agree.

I know we have Ifrit for clues - just got another tweet now which basically says we are getting Trick R Treat.  However, I do not believe Ifrit has access to get those wonderful pics inside the soundstages of houses being built.  I miss that.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

There were rumors that HHN underwent a pretty large budget cut last year in favor of replacing the Holiday Parade floats (can I just say how much I hate parades?). So I'm betting that was a big part in the marketing mess. I hope Aiello "having moved on to bigger things" doesn't mean we only get one original. From what Ringwraith posted, I'm not sure as to whether they decided to give us a copy Hollywood's UCM maze, or if A&D is planning something a unique spin on that maze (like Bloodengutz, for example :wub:).

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

1 hour ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

There were rumors that HHN underwent a pretty large budget cut last year in favor of replacing the Holiday Parade floats (can I just say how much I hate parades?). So I'm betting that was a big part in the marketing mess. I hope Aiello "having moved on to bigger things" doesn't mean we only get one original. From what Ringwraith posted, I'm not sure as to whether they decided to give us a copy Hollywood's UCM maze, or if A&D is planning something a unique spin on that maze (like Bloodengutz, for example :wub:).

Honestly if the budget cuts are true, I’m very glad they cut the marketing rather than the actual houses (although, maybe this explains the lackluster SZs, Altars of Horror is starting to finally make sense now:blink:)

1 hour ago, Fearlessferret said:

Maybe since his hints have been so trt heavy that will be the first announcement?

I could see that, AHS was at the past event too and that was 27s first announcement

I'm hearing it's possible we may just get two originals this year(on track from original thoughts) because although records were broken with attendance(because of the amount of days, not attendance per day), it's not what they were expecting. This doesn't make sense to me, because the original houses were mostly the highest rated, but in order to get the people in the door, it could be IP central. Luckily the rumored IP's are solid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ringwraith said:

I'm hearing it's possible we may just get two originals this year(on track from original thoughts) because although records were broken with attendance(because of the amount of days, not attendance per day), it's not what they were expecting. This doesn't make sense to me, because the original houses were mostly the highest rated, but in order to get the people in the door, it could be IP central. Luckily the rumored IP's are solid.

The thing (no pun intended) I’m concerned about is if one of those “originals” is just a copy of the UCM house Hollywood is getting, or at very least a near-copy that lacks that special A&D twist (like, as I keep mentioning and hopefully for, Bloodengutz).

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

The thing (no pun intended) I’m concerned about is if one of those “originals” is just a copy of the UCM house Hollywood is getting, or at very least a near-copy that lacks that special A&D twist (like, as I keep mentioning and hopefully for, Bloodengutz).

I could easily see both versions of the UCM maze containing twists to them..

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fearlessferret said:

Theres a good idea but nothing officially announced. 

21 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

I think they may wait until Mardi Gras is done before any announcements are made. I hope not as I’m now pretty impatient waiting for official dates so I can plan my trip properly. 

14 minutes ago, StupidStupidDan said:

They just announced the Mickey's Not So Scary dates today. I'm assuming HHN can't be that far behind.

My personal money is on either this Thursday, or next.

The real question is if we're going to have a house announcement attached or not.

http://www.insideuniversal.net/2018/03/universal-orlando-releases-halloween-horror-nights-28-dates/