Halloween Horror Nights 28 Speculation

Mark M.

30 minutes ago, fvcking cvnt said:

why're you against it?

I'm just afraid that it will start blurring the lines too much. A "Jack's Not So Scary Halloween Party" could easily start slipping into the regular event.

It really depends on how they market it. If they try to distance the messaging as far away from "Horror Nights" as possible...good. But; if they position it as an offshoot of HHN...then I'll be concerned. 

1 hour ago, StupidStupidDan said:

I'm just afraid that it will start blurring the lines too much. A "Jack's Not So Scary Halloween Party" could easily start slipping into the regular event.

It really depends on how they market it. If they try to distance the messaging as far away from "Horror Nights" as possible...good. But; if they position it as an offshoot of HHN...then I'll be concerned. 

I imagine to have any competition at all with Disney's event they'll need to make it VERY clear that this is a seperate event from HHN, maybe even try to avoid concurrent nights

I've heard people mention content (like in Hellgate Prison) that wouldn't be allowed in todays event. Would any of you seasoned professionals care to discuss whats changed content wise from the past compared to now? 

From what I've heard the event was a bit fouler and slightly lewder (Castle Vampyr) in the past. Has the violence level changed? Is there an actual concern the event would continue to slide more into PG-13 territory?

Edited by Midnight Detective
  • Angry 1

11 hours ago, Midnight Detective said:

I've heard people mention content (like in Hellgate Prison) that wouldn't be allowed in todays event. Would any of you seasoned professionals care to discuss whats changed content wise from the past compared to now? 

From what I've heard the event was a bit fouler and slightly lewder (Castle Vampyr) in the past. Has the violence level changed? Is there an actual concern the event would continue to slide more into PG-13 territory?

Biggest difference is, in Hellgate, there was a section where scareactors taunted guests with vulgar, offensive language, threats of violence (including rape), and phrases that played on homophobia. These weren't trained barkers. They were random scareactors, given free reign to say what they wanted because, in story, they were prisoners who had taken over. It was "acceptable" then, and set a tone since the scene opened the house, but it was able to happen because HHN was still a pretty local event then. 

That sort of improvisational freedom isn't allowed for the rank-and-file anymore. The event is too successful. Street performers can be threatening but not offensive (which is the right thing). House performers, unless specifically allowed as part of the scare, rely on their e-prom for all verbal engagement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Legacy said:

Biggest difference is, in Hellgate, there was a section where scareactors taunted guests with vulgar, offensive language, threats of violence (including rape), and phrases that played on homophobia. These weren't trained barkers. They were random scareactors, given free reign to say what they wanted because, in story, they were prisoners who had taken over. It was "acceptable" then, and set a tone since the scene opened the house, but it was able to happen because HHN was still a pretty local event then. 

That sort of improvisational freedom isn't allowed for the rank-and-file anymore. The event is too successful. Street performers can be threatening but not offensive (which is the right thing). House performers, unless specifically allowed as part of the scare, rely on their e-prom for all verbal engagement.

When did HHN stop becoming a local event?

On 3/3/2018 at 3:31 PM, Legacy said:

You want a year? 2009, when they started heavily advertising in England with recognizable IPs.

Whoa! Even there! I remember the Chiller aired an ad for the one in hollywood. But the I remember going on the websites since 2007 and having some fun.

• Like 1

Dates released: Sep. 14 - Nov. 3

Also, on IU there have been varying reports on whether there will be

9 houses

http://www.mercadoeeventos.com.br/_...j-e-divulga-novidades-exclusivas-para-201819/

"In addition to parks and hotels, Renato Gonçalves could not fail to mention the Halloween Horror Nights , one of the biggest Halloween events in the world. It is the great event that Universal produces every year. By 2018, dates and number of homes are already set. "This Halloween Horror Nights this year runs from September 14 to November 3 with 9 special houses that will be released throughout the year," he said."

- @HHNManics

or more

@Legacy brought the info from the Instagram account orlandoexplorers that states that there will be "... More scary houses than ever..."

37 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

9 houses? what am i missing here?

2 minutes ago, Maxmoser said:

So 9 houses? So is it all IPs? All original like 2010? What’s going on 

We’re not sure about how many houses, the two pieces of evidence I showed conflict each other, but the 9 houses evidence seems more legit, as it is coming from someone involved with the event

on the topic of IP and original, no one “really” knows, we just have the rumors

Just now, fvcking cvnt said:

We’re not sure about how many houses, the two pieces of evidence I showed conflict each other, but the 9 houses evidence seems more legit, as it is coming from someone involved with the event

on the topic of IP and original, no one “really” knows, we just have the rumors

I think it’s going to be IPs with some few originals this year. But that’s just me. I wish they could ressurect it with an icon, but according to some out there. Icons only come around Anniversary years now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StupidStupidDan said:

To make the number of houses question even cloudier...

IF we read "more scary houses than ever" as literal, then we'd actually be talking about 11 houses.

HHN26 had 9 "standard" houses, plus the VR "add-on" house. 

It could also be read as houses that are more scary than ever before, so scarier houses rather than more houses. Seriously, grammar is so important! 

• Like 1

Ok, I've been out for over a week, and I'm catching up.  What the hell is this HHN 5K?  I mean, how would that even.. what?  Please more details.  

As for a kid's event - I agree with others here - don't care if they do it as long it doesn't get anywhere near the adult HHN.  I've said for years that if you get too scared or want to drag along small kids.. go to Disney.  Uni is ours goddammit.. and it better stay at the PG13 level... minimum.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, StupidStupidDan said:

To make the number of houses question even cloudier...

IF we read "more scary houses than ever" as literal, then we'd actually be talking about 11 houses.

HHN26 had 9 "standard" houses, plus the VR "add-on" house. 

haha this is some little instagram account I'm talking about that said this, I don't think they would've taken that into account when wording their ad for HHN

3 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

Ok, I've been out for over a week, and I'm catching up.  What the hell is this HHN 5K?  I mean, how would that even.. what?  Please more details.  

As for a kid's event - I agree with others here - don't care if they do it as long it doesn't get anywhere near the adult HHN.  I've said for years that if you get too scared or want to drag along small kids.. go to Disney.  Uni is ours goddammit.. and it better stay at the PG13 level... minimum.

I just went on a family vacation to Disney last week so I'll chime in with a little bit of info that was new to me.

We went from Sat to Sat and the first two days we went were INSANE.  Disney has a crap ton of races that week and it draws in thousands of people.  Here's one picture of a half marathon that had 25,000 participants.  They had to show up at 3am for a 5am start time.  This picture was taken at 9:30am on our way into the park...it was all the walkers just doing the race.  This went on for MILES.  They all then went to the park(s).  When we parked they had no tram service as they were dedicated to the race and we parked out in the farthest lot.  They were allowed to wear costumes during the race and then wear them into the event so long as they didn't have something obsuring their face no matter what their age.  (At the end of the day we were on a monorail with a bunch of participants so this is where I got all the info).

They said it was VERY expensive to do the race and they had really nice looking medals.  Some had as many as 5-7 on.  They came from everywhere from Ft Lauderdale to Baton Rouge to Sacramento.  They said it was VERY expensive to do the race, but it was worth it.  The medals from the race are the envy of all  their friends.

The lines the first couple days we were there were INSANE.   Like everything 90min plus.  Then they significantly died down.  There was press EVERYWHERE.

If Universal wants in on this craze and can draw in 10,000 runners, generate revenue, contribute to a charity, get press to show up, and introduce thousands of new people to the event it's a great idea on their part.  A 5K might be open to younger people, but a longer race wouldn't add to the "childfication" of the event.  If you had them running during the event and a finish line giving out prizes and stuff, people would show up for the spectacle of it all and would drunkenly cheer them on all night.  Freddy Kruger and Twisty could greet the finishers and Pennywise could hand out the medals.  It could be fun...even for fatasses like me who can't run 5 meters let along 5 kilometers :) 

38803781560_296c1cdb91_c.jpg

EDIT:  The race ran through the park(s) before they opened, so a very unique experience for the runners, and not sure exactly where they ended...but if you had a race NEAR universal that ended somewhere in the park (without them running through the park) that would be really cool.

Edited by Oysterhead00
Obvious what the edit is :)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

Universal needs to avoid doing a kids Halloween themed part. I mean they can do a thing with the minions but nah(although I like minions). But Universal looks at $$$, and they make a killing off of horror aimed towards adults and teenagers. 

4 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

I just went on a family vacation to Disney last week so I'll chime in with a little bit of info that was new to me.

We went from Sat to Sat and the first two days we went were INSANE.  Disney has a crap ton of races that week and it draws in thousands of people.  Here's one picture of a half marathon that had 25,000 participants.  They had to show up at 3am for a 5am start time.  This picture was taken at 9:30am on our way into the park...it was all the walkers just doing the race.  This went on for MILES.  They all then went to the park(s).  When we parked they had no tram service as they were dedicated to the race and we parked out in the farthest lot.  They were allowed to wear costumes during the race and then wear them into the event so long as they didn't have something obsuring their face no matter what their age.  (At the end of the day we were on a monorail with a bunch of participants so this is where I got all the info).

They said it was VERY expensive to do the race and they had really nice looking medals.  Some had as many as 5-7 on.  They came from everywhere from Ft Lauderdale to Baton Rouge to Sacramento.  They said it was VERY expensive to do the race, but it was worth it.  The medals from the race are the envy of all  their friends.

The lines the first couple days we were there were INSANE.   Like everything 90min plus.  Then they significantly died down.  There was press EVERYWHERE.

If Universal wants in on this craze and can draw in 10,000 runners, generate revenue, contribute to a charity, get press to show up, and introduce thousands of new people to the event it's a great idea on their part.  A 5K might be open to younger people, but a longer race wouldn't add to the "childfication" of the event.  If you had them running during the event and a finish line giving out prizes and stuff, people would show up for the spectacle of it all and would drunkenly cheer them on all night.  Freddy Kruger and Twisty could greet the finishers and Pennywise could hand out the medals.  It could be fun...even for fatasses like me who can't run 5 meters let along 5 kilometers :) 

38803781560_296c1cdb91_c.jpg

It’s a great marketing addition! But those runners... dayum! That’s insane. How was the trip to Disney?

Edited by Maxmoser

6 minutes ago, Maxmoser said:

Universal needs to avoid doing a kids Halloween themed part. I mean they can do a thing with the minions but nah(although I like minions). But Universal looks at $$$, and they make a killing off of horror aimed towards adults and teenagers. 

It’s a great marketing addition! But those runners... dayum! That’s insane. How was the trip to Disney?

Not sure if this video is going to work...but this was after already passing them for a WHILE and taking a bunch of pics.  It was insane how many people it was.

Trip was great, but it was mainly for my 7 year old nephew.  Did 4 days at Magic Kingdom and then 1 each at Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom.  Did mostly half days starting around noon-3 and staying until close.  That's about all he can handle.  His favorite ride at Magic Kingdom?  THE PEOPLE MOVER!!!!  His favorite park?  Epcot.  LOVED Soarin'.  He's not your typical 7 year old and this was the anti-HHN  trip.  Next year we're going to try to add a day or two at Universal and one at Sea World.  The last 2 years we had gone to Yankees Spring Training games and Legoland.

Left NY when it was 19-degrees and got home the day after a Nor'Easter dumped 14" of snow here...and now we're supposed to get up to 18".  Been a weird 2 weeks.

20180225_085441

The article regarding 9 houses was written on 2/1/18. 

Many things can change within a month. While 9 houses seems to be the "safe bet", there was, also, a survey* that mentioned at least 8 houses. That survey appeared mid-February.

There are rumors that the KZ demo/revamp has been postponed. That change in plan could very well up the number of houses to 10 or could explain why "at least 8 houses" was used in a survey instead of 9 houses. Theoretically, there is room for another tent near F&F. This could allow another tent house. If demo for FF has been postponed as well, then the MIB tent should be able to remain (it may not even be threatened by FF demo, but safety regs are weird sometimes). Without B&T, the park will be lopsided. Adding a house near F&F make logistical sense. 

All of this is spec, of course. 

*I didn't take that survey, so I am not bound by a confidentiality clause.

• Like 3

Ok this is my first post yay! Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but apparently there is a Child's Play TV series in the works at the moment. Is this a possible HHN canadite for 28? If so I don't want it to be because it is extremely hard sometimes to get scare actors to meet the criteria they would be looking for if they were to do this property. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, krazyhorrorkid said:

Ok this is my first post yay! Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but apparently there is a Child's Play TV series in the works at the moment. Is this a possible HHN canadite for 28? If so I don't want it to be because it is extremely hard sometimes to get scare actors to meet the criteria they would be looking for if they were to do this property. 

Welcome to the forums! Yeah I agree, everything I've seen of Chucky at the event from videos online has looked kinda silly, don't know how well it would fit at the event, but hey if the execs want it....

18 minutes ago, krazyhorrorkid said:

Welcome to the forums! To answer your question simply: No. 

More detailed: They are in talks to create a tv series. There is no tv series. There is no pilot. While Chucky can always be a potential candidate, and as yet created or picked up tv series isn't going to be a candidate because it does not exist yet. 

13 minutes ago, fvcking cvnt said:

Welcome to the forums! Yeah I agree, everything I've seen of Chucky at the event from videos online has looked kinda silly, don't know how well it would fit at the event, but hey if the execs want it....

I liked the 09 Chucky house. If you like black humor/comedy houses, Chucky can be fun. 

As for finding scarectors:

All the Chucky's in the 09 house were shorter females. EPROMs were used, and boo doors helped with the height issue. Also, there was more than Chucky in the house. 

I still <3 you, Barrel Monkey. You always scared the crap out me even when I was watching out for you.