Halloween Horror Nights 28 Speculation

Mark M.

1 hour ago, zombieman said:

Only three originals along with no B&T would NOT make me want to book a flight this year...

31 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

Seriously... that would make my decision of a new back deck or HHN pretty easy.....

Correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t there only supposed to be 3 originals last year until The Conjuring got axed? 

• Like 1

For right now. 28 will be a more IP laden event, since 27(my first year going) was a mixture. Honestly, only things original based they can do original is that they bring back an icon like Jack or Chance and her two big pillows of fun.

But if we’re getting an icon I’m thinking that they can ressurect Browning or The Director. There’s plenty of open possibilities. Just can’t do Bloody Mary, and Lady Luck probably won’t be back anytime soon. 

For originals, I would say you can bring in the icon(once again if they do), or do something quite random or something out of the cutting board 

There's a riddle yet to be tackled from Legacy, and I feel it's an important one. Especially, considering the IP/Original discussion. 

Unexpect the expected

The only potential for "the expected" is one of the IPs. I think we can limit it even further. 

IT and ST wouldn't fall into "the expected". While on our radar, they fall/fell more into wishful thinking with potential. 

What properties are expected? What are our go-tos?

7 minutes ago, Maxmoser said:

HHN legacy has something about Carey, Ohio. The caretaker coming back?

Legacy stated that he hasn't heard anything about originals yet.

31 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

There's a riddle yet to be tackled from Legacy, and I feel it's an important one. Especially, considering the IP/Original discussion. 

Unexpect the expected

The only potential for "the expected" is one of the IPs. I think we can limit it even further. 

IT and ST wouldn't fall into "the expected". While on our radar, they fall/fell more into wishful thinking with potential. 

What properties are expected? What are our go-tos?

AHS Cult is expected and Halloween is too. Maybe Stranger Things and yeah Thing. But the rest of the IPs rumored are clearly the Unexpected. We aren't expecting TRT to come back as a Maze and we aren't expecting NOES. And we aren't expecting IT due to King and the sequel coming out next year. All of this IPs are rumored for this year. So yeah.

IPs are so tough to expect. WB horror (NOES, IT, Trick Or Treat) is a 50–60% likely since Time Warner is also apart of Comcast.

The Thing could be ressurected as its a Universal. Halloween is apart of Blumhouse which is also Universal.

I see Stranger Things happening more than AHS:Cult not because of Fox/Disney but just what can you do with that season? 

I mean I’m expecting the two big IPs will be by Rip Ride Rockit, and the stage. Rides that may be open will be the usual with maybe Fast And Furious Supercharged(Disaster did it, T2, MIB, Mummy, Simpsons... they’ve all been doing that shit when a ride is brand new).

But the most interesting will be what are the IPs and what will be original stuff. And what will replace Bill & Ted. 

Anyway i hope I can go this year again, and also quick question although I’m already of age(been so since October) is it better to drink at the park or at city walk beforehand? I’m thinking about enjoying a nice mixed drink or two before or during the event.

7 hours ago, Doctor_Acula said:

That's correct.  IDK, I do enjoy both.  If they're sticking with 9 houses, 6/3 seems the right mix for the way the event is going.  You know if it was only 8 houses it'd still be 5/3, so it's really just a bonus IP house we get.

From what’s being implied right now, 10 houses (7/3) seems highly possible. In the case of 9 houses and a 7/2 split, they’d better provide (strong) all-original zones. At very least, the rumored IPs have a certain level of cohesion in a way we haven't seen yet. The nice thing is that it allows for them to make the originals tie in as well. Could potentially be the most connection we've had in houses in quite some time.

I would love to see an In-Between style classic arcade game themed house.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

Idk about the rest of you, but if these rumored IP's definitely come to fruition I will be very excited for this year. Between IT, ST, Halloween, NOES etc.... definitely a lineup I can get very excited for. I know some of you prefer Original houses to the IP's, but the rumored IP's sound awesome so far. 

46 minutes ago, TheShape1031 said:

Idk about the rest of you, but if these rumored IP's definitely come to fruition I will be very excited for this year. Between IT, ST, Halloween, NOES etc.... definitely a lineup I can get very excited for. I know some of you prefer Original houses to the IP's, but the rumored IP's sound awesome so far. 

I’m not too crazy about NOES, Halloween or especially AHS, but at least apart from that last one the lineup of houses has something tying it together, which is something that’s been sorely missed over the last six years. No WD, no Purge, minimal AHS. Heck, depending on the original houses and streets, it could tie together more than a few of the years in the Golden Era (12-21).

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

22 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

Seriously... that would make my decision of a new back deck or HHN pretty easy.....

You liar.. you friggin know you're going.

As for the IP vs Originals discussion... look, I'm not against IPs.  There are many that I have really, really enjoyed.  Further, I was VERY excited about them when they were announced (Halloween and American Werewolf in London being tops of that list).   However, the originals are what have stuck with me in all the years I've been attending.  My heart bursts when I get to experience that kind of creative, unique and unexpected experience.  I think it's horseshit to say that the public is driven only by a big IP.  Word gets around - FAST - like last year.   Everyone we talked to (we talk a lot) listed off one of the originals as their favorite house (Scarecrow topping it most times).  We were told over and over while standing in line for Scarecrow "oh, we heard this is the best house - can't wait to see it."  Word of mouth is the best advertisement.  Would it help if they had a couple huge IPs to put in the commercial and hype on the billboards?  Well, of course... but that doesn't diminish the importance or the buzz that these originals will also generate.  It's all about balance.  Most haunts that the average person goes to has no IP attached to it whatsoever, and yet the lines are long and the haunts do very well.  Why?  Because Halloween is a multi-billion dollar industry.  It gets more popular every year.  This kind of event sells itself.  I think the "importance of the IP" is an overdone, overblown commentary.

I've also always said that the originals have better scares because one has no idea what to expect.  If you go into a house based on an IP, you do have an idea of what you'll see.  Doesn't mean there aren't any good scares, but, in my experience, the best scares have always come in the originals.  

I realize I'm mostly preaching to the choir here, but in light of the comments above, I wanted to clarify my position.  Again, IPs need to be there.  Some of them I truly love.  But it's not the friggin be all, end all of the event.

Also, I'm hoping for better scare zones this year.  Trick r Treat was amazing, breath-taking - a true mind blower.  The rest, however.. meh.

• Like 1

If they do NOES I hope they do it with the old school version. And bring it to the table. IPs are the real grabbers either way, originals I kinda wanna be surprised like I hope they do something that’s insanely crazy but at the same time do something that is appealing like ressurect something from last decade like Psychoscarepy, Vampyr, or Screamhouse.  

Or like I’ve said like  a broken record, make some original stuff. Like do four appealing ones like do something that can bring in a group of people like Scarecrow(although personally I liked The Hive and The Fallen better). Just keep it well balanced like IPs are that big steak, and the originals are the sides. 

19 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

I’m not too crazy about NOES, Halloween or especially AHS, but at least apart from that last one the lineup of houses has something tying it together, which is something that’s been sorely missed over the last six years. No WD, no Purge, minimal AHS. Heck, depending on the original houses and streets, it could tie together more than a few of the years in the Golden Era (12-21).

Well I am obviously biased regarding Halloween. NOES I also have an excitement for if they base it off the old school movies and not the shitty remake. But, I completely agree with you that there needs to be no WD, Purge and I would be fine with no AHS either. I've never been a huge fan of it anyway. The houses have been pretty good, but I can do without it honestly. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

You liar.. you friggin know you're going.

LOL you sound just like my wife!!!!!!

36 minutes ago, TheShape1031 said:

Well I am obviously biased regarding Halloween. NOES I also have an excitement for if they base it off the old school movies and not the shitty remake. But, I completely agree with you that there needs to be no WD, Purge and I would be fine with no AHS either. I've never been a huge fan of it anyway. The houses have been pretty good, but I can do without it honestly. 

yup! Ill take classic 70's/80's slashers any day. Purge sucks/is old, WD... please, AHS now has one season to pull from. I think Im one of the few people that actually liked this last season but a house devoted to it would be silly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DraculaTeeth said:

Is anyone else worried about the crowds this year?

Last year I thought it was pretty crowded, but throw in the possibility of It AND Stranger Things in the same year AND no B&T (which I’m assuming at least slightly thinned the crowds)...imo, it’s gonna be packed.

That's a good point. And I'm sure the prices for Fast Passes will go up as well. First year I went I was able to do all the houses without a fast pass. But last year I got one and it was a great investment. Much more time to enjoy everything without worrying if I'd miss something. But yes with the possibility of IT and ST, crowds may be an issue. 

Here's my napkin math on how crowd levels may be effected this year.

First, we have to assume three things:

-Stranger Things is coming

-It is coming

-They're going to use all or some of the B&T budget to pay for a 10th house.

So...everything is pretty much equal to last year, except you have no B&T, but you have an additional house.

For arguments sake, let's say that IT would be able to pull in the crowds of whatever was the most popular house last year. (Popular by attendance, not by opinion of quality.) More than a safe assumption.

That being said, let's view ST as the 10th "bonus house". Therefore, we would have to compare how ST would pull crowds from the other attractions vs how B&T was able to.

I couldn't find a solid number, but B&T capacity seems to be around 1,500-2,000 people, and is pretty packed most shows ever night.

From door to door, people probably dedicate roughly 40mins to seeing the show. This is assuming they arrive roughly 15mins prior to the show starting, the show runs about 20mins, then some time to filter back out into the street and decide what they're doing next.

Now, where does that leave us?

Stranger Things would have to be able to get between 1,500-2,000 people off of the street for 40mins at a time to off set the "people eater" lost by B&T.

I think it's probably pretty safe to say it would be able to do that, as long as the quality is there.

Thoughts, does the math work?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

Still waiting for them to do Phantasm.  I would LOVE to see that as a house some day.

That would be interesting! Honestly, I see that more as a silver screams or all nite die in return attachment. Since Phantasm 1, 3, and 4 now are distributed by anchor bay and starz(although ash vs evil dead was able to be around). But Phantasm 1 and 2 would work better in an attachment with an all nite die in type of house.

6 hours ago, TheShape1031 said:

That's a good point. And I'm sure the prices for Fast Passes will go up as well. First year I went I was able to do all the houses without a fast pass. But last year I got one and it was a great investment. Much more time to enjoy everything without worrying if I'd miss something. But yes with the possibility of IT and ST, crowds may be an issue. 

I’d imagine prices will go up across the board-not just for tickets-but I’m guessing they increase each year anyway. I figured even if one of It or Stranger Things came I’d have to invest in my regular FFP + express, but if they BOTH come this year I think I’ll have to look into the bigger passes. 

4 hours ago, StupidStupidDan said:

Here's my napkin math on how crowd levels may be effected this year.

First, we have to assume three things:

-Stranger Things is coming

-It is coming

-They're going to use all or some of the B&T budget to pay for a 10th house.

So...everything is pretty much equal to last year, except you have no B&T, but you have an additional house.

For arguments sake, let's say that IT would be able to pull in the crowds of whatever was the most popular house last year. (Popular by attendance, not by opinion of quality.) More than a safe assumption.

That being said, let's view ST as the 10th "bonus house". Therefore, we would have to compare how ST would pull crowds from the other attractions vs how B&T was able to.

I couldn't find a solid number, but B&T capacity seems to be around 1,500-2,000 people, and is pretty packed most shows ever night.

From door to door, people probably dedicate roughly 40mins to seeing the show. This is assuming they arrive roughly 15mins prior to the show starting, the show runs about 20mins, then some time to filter back out into the street and decide what they're doing next.

Now, where does that leave us?

Stranger Things would have to be able to get between 1,500-2,000 people off of the street for 40mins at a time to off set the "people eater" lost by B&T.

I think it's probably pretty safe to say it would be able to do that, as long as the quality is there.

Fingers crossed that you’re right! I don’t know if it’s been rumored we’d be getting a 10th house and none of the IP’s would be used as a SZ, but I’m hoping that’s the case.

5 hours ago, StupidStupidDan said:

So assuming the theatre has a capacity of 1,500-2,000 (tried finding proper capacity with no luck, but I’d imagine it’s in the right ballpark), Stranger Things would need to take a steady stream of around 40-50 people a minute to match B&T.  Seems about doable on a good run.

Also got to take into account B&T was only set times, a house should be a constant flow of people.  So over the evening it should even out. 

Although no indications one way or another, a dual park event would help congestion surely? Spread people out a bit more. However that would mean closing both parks early for HHN, which I’d imagine Universal would be loathe to do. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, themazethinker said:

since it's going to be 7 months before hhn opens how about we have fun, try and write a fan maze treatment to one of the leaked houses, don't worry you can make it short.

I mean, I think the IT house is pretty much a no brainer at this point. You have the Creepy house he stayed in and the sewer. Just make it so you are walking through the house and end up in the sewer with Pennywise doing his thing. I think you need to have all of the forms he takes in the movie, especially the Flute Lady Painting, The Leper, The headless kid int he Library etc. Need to have a Henry Bowers appearance somehow, maybe him disposing of his sleeping dad? Having someone dressed as the flute lady eating Stan's face would be awesome to see too. 

One scene I would love to see them do is Pennywise dancing in the sewer. The scare actor may get a little tired having to dance constantly, but I would love to see them bring that to life. Shouldn't be that hard IMO.