Halloween Horror Nights 28 Speculation

Mark M.

On 1/20/2018 at 6:51 PM, TheGreatDicktator said:

There's chatter that they're currently looking for a current IP that could create a Bill and Ted-like show. I think they've got their hands full with so many other things to announce, however. I wouldn't be surprised if we see HHN announcements come late this year.  Hopefully they don't ditch the live entertainment aspect completely, however. 

I heard on (I think the Scarezone) podcast that they were contemplating a specific IP. 

So, what they are supposedly hashing around is having the new show be - wait for it - based on SNL.  

When I heard that, my first reaction was - Why?  What's the point?  And I'm still not totally accepting of the idea.

The supporting arguments included (not saying I agree or disagree with any of these):

• B&T has an aging fanbase; kids have no idea who they are (assuming we don't ever see a B&T 3)
  • B&T never had anything to do with Halloween other than having Halloween in the title.  Were it not for the time travel phone booth, B&T show would probably have never been.  The time travel gave the writers the ability to create new situations, locations, encounters, etc.  
  • B&T had become largely dependent on roasting celebrities and IP not owned by Universal.  Legal is getting tired of having to deal with it.
  • SNL is a Comcast property
  • SNL well known by target audience.  The Sean Spicer opener from 2017 was basically an SNL opener itself - right down to the "Live from Orlando...".  It had a YUUUGE response.
  • SNL evolves year to year, and the show can likewise evolve
  • Skits can take place in any location, time period.  One skit doesn't have to justify any other.
  • It replaces a comedy show with a comedy show, not a dance troop, magician, etc.  
  • B&T could appear in a skit within the show
  • Opportunity for a live band
  • Opportunities for actual SNL guest stars and even celebrity guest stars to appear
  • SNL seems to have caught lightning in a bottle with David S. Pumpkins
  • Standalone skits may be easier to edit/swap out than story arc (like last year's music festival getting scrapped)

So what do think about SNL as a replacement for B&T?

24 minutes ago, zombieman said:

I heard on (I think the Scarezone) podcast that they were contemplating a specific IP. 

So, what they are supposedly hashing around is having the new show be - wait for it - based on SNL.  

When I heard that, my first reaction was - Why?  What's the point?  And I'm still not totally accepting of the idea.

The supporting arguments included (not saying I agree or disagree with any of these):

• B&T has an aging fanbase; kids have no idea who they are (assuming we don't ever see a B&T 3)
  • B&T never had anything to do with Halloween other than having Halloween in the title.  Were it not for the time travel phone booth, B&T show would probably have never been.  The time travel gave the writers the ability to create new situations, locations, encounters, etc.  
  • B&T had become largely dependent on roasting celebrities and IP not owned by Universal.  Legal is getting tired of having to deal with it.
  • SNL well known by target audience.  The Sean Spicer opener from 2017 was basically an SNL opener itself - right down to the "Live from Orlando...".  It had a YUUUGE response.
  • Skits can take place in any location, time period.  One skit doesn't have to justify any other.
  • It replaces a comedy show with a comedy show, not a dance troop, magician, etc.  
  • Opportunities for actual SNL guest stars and even celebrity guest stars to appear
  • Standalone skits may be easier to edit/swap out than story arc (like last year's music festival getting scrapped)

I think they should make a comedy house based on B&T, where you're time traveling to different eras of horror and the entrance to each room is a phone booth with flashes, to represent you've landed at a new location. You could have those two getting into a lot of trouble and it would be fun(ny).

As far as an SNL show, I've been advocating for that for awhile. I originally thought the plan was to make Twister into a permanent SNL location, but alas it's a mediocre ride. I'm all for it and I believe they will make it funny for ALL ages and include some references from old SNL episodes. As far as adding more live entertainment, my hope is that the new Bourne attraction will include an element of live action like it's predecessor.

Edited by Ringwraith
meh

46 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

I hope the SNL rumor is false. SNL is unwatchable. SO if they go they route hopefully they do it 100000 times better as to get at least one giggle out of it.

But an SNL style show revolving around Halloween might be cool... hopefully.

eh, at least it'll be something new, B&T was kinda getting boring to me and I rarely saw it

I would take the SNL rumor with a very large grain of salt. If you look at the speculation, from HHN Unofficial, they have not had a great track record the last few years. (It originally came from Chris, who runs that site).

IF there is some truth to the rumor, I don't know if we'd see a full "SNL's Halloween Adventure" show. I could definitely see a character from SNL having their own Halloween show though...Any questions?

3 hours ago, fvcking cvnt said:

lol i just realized Stranger Things is totally gonna be in the MIB tent and they're gonna reuse those weird ass green hallways from insidious as the Upside Down

When I was going through Blumhouse, that last third of the house felt like the Upside Down and not the Further.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

I hope the SNL rumor is false. SNL is unwatchable. SO if they go they route hopefully they do it 100000 times better as to get at least one giggle out of it.

But an SNL style show revolving around Halloween might be cool... hopefully.

Well, this is the first time we disagree, sir.  I find SNL to be hilarious!  I can see a sketch comedy thing working as a show.  It doesn't have to be "SNL" per se, but another comedy cultural parody thing would be fun.  

6 hours ago, fvcking cvnt said:

lol i just realized Stranger Things is totally gonna be in the MIB tent and they're gonna reuse those weird ass green hallways from insidious as the Upside Down

If we get Stranger Things, they would be doing the event a MASSIVE disservice by putting that house in that tent

5 minutes ago, Ringwraith said:

If we get Stranger Things, they would be doing the event a MASSIVE disservice by putting that house in that tent

Idk just because the houses that have been there haven’t been great doesn’t mean we can’t get a great house from it, I think it could work it has a ton of space it was just used poorly this year

2 minutes ago, fvcking cvnt said:

Idk just because the houses that have been there haven’t been great doesn’t mean we can’t get a great house from it, I think it could work it has a ton of space it was just used poorly this year

There is definitely the possibility of a great house in there, because it’s been proven with the tent houses. However, the amount of forest, the size of the facilities, and the overall extent of the story, would be best served in a soundstage house 

Just now, Ringwraith said:

There is definitely the possibility of a great house in there, because it’s been proven with the tent houses. However, the amount of forest, the size of the facilities, and the overall extent of the story, would be best served in a soundstage house 

Yeah and I imagine it being such a big IP it will end up getting a soundstage over an original, IT too

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 2:55 PM, zombieman said:

I'd be okay with it. I admittedly have not watched Bill and Ted in years. I remember thinking it was great in my teens but it slowly turned into something for me to just sit for a while. 

2 hours ago, fvcking cvnt said:

hmmmm a lot of early mazes either a forsure big IP or maybe 5 OGs... I think if they have IT AND Strnger Things then they could afford 5 Originals, and with them doing so well last year...

That would be a dream year for me. I'm ok with a little IP here and there especially if they're as solid as those two. And if they want to add more IP's, put them in the streets! I'd also not be surprised to see a Strangers house this year.

• Like 1

With it being January there’s still a lot of variables up in the air obviously. The two park format, house numbers, ratio of IPs to originals—seems to be strong speculation right now of both a TRT house and an HP show. Now I love HP but I fear it will eventually ruin the more grown up atmosphere. Ditto with Stranger Things, which I also love.

The main thing I ask for this year is for a sequel to a house from 21 (that wasn’t Thing). I doubt we ever see Bloodengutz again with that actor having moved on (I think).

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

So planning a case for an October holiday got me looking at YouTube videos of HHN and other haunts to see whether I should build in those as well as HHN. 

When i was told about HHN I was told that even though you were in a conga line it was scary. However when I was there I didn’t feel scared at all in the conga line. I only felt scared when I was alone. 

From youtube videos I’ve seen other haunts pulse the crowd so you are on your own and that gets a better reaction than the conga line approach. Albeit the sets aren’t as detailed and the immersion isn’t there. 

So so here’s my question. Do you prefer uber detailed and immersive settings in a conga line, or less detail and immersion but more alone and isolated when it comes to a house?

6 hours ago, Drummanmatt said:

So planning a case for an October holiday got me looking at YouTube videos of HHN and other haunts to see whether I should build in those as well as HHN. 

When i was told about HHN I was told that even though you were in a conga line it was scary. However when I was there I didn’t feel scared at all in the conga line. I only felt scared when I was alone. 

From youtube videos I’ve seen other haunts pulse the crowd so you are on your own and that gets a better reaction than the conga line approach. Albeit the sets aren’t as detailed and the immersion isn’t there. 

So so here’s my question. Do you prefer uber detailed and immersive settings in a conga line, or less detail and immersion but more alone and isolated when it comes to a house?

legit I went to a local haunt that pulsed the crowd (pretty big city and pretty big and popular) and I legit wasn't scared at ALL. It's all about the experience in the medium that HHN has and it was just terrible at this one that is considered around here to be pretty good for a haunted attraction, shameful.

My thinking on this is go to Orlando for two weeks, but get a frequent fear pass without saturdays. Go to Busch gardens on the first Saturday for howl o scream. Second Saturday would likely be a non-HHN night anyway so seems to work well. But that plan means needing a hotel in tampa one night so pricey given I’d already have paid for my orlando hotel. Thoughts?

On 1/27/2018 at 4:01 PM, Drummanmatt said:

My thinking on this is go to Orlando for two weeks, but get a frequent fear pass without saturdays. Go to Busch gardens on the first Saturday for howl o scream. Second Saturday would likely be a non-HHN night anyway so seems to work well. But that plan means needing a hotel in tampa one night so pricey given I’d already have paid for my orlando hotel. Thoughts?

Definitely go to Howl O Scream.  It's very different from HHN, but it's a LOT of fun!  They have things they do very well there - while their scarezones aren't all that great, they also randomly place scareactors throughout the park, and these are the ones that will scare the hell out of you.  My worst scare ever happened from one of these randomly placed actors... and I don't get scared.   Also, not required to have a hotel room in Tampa.  If you can get a good deal wherever you stay in Orlando (I suggest renting a condo in the Kissimmee area if you're staying 2 weeks - much cheaper), then you can just drive back there after attending HOS.  The drive is just over an hour from one to the other.  In the middle of the night (which you'd be driving then), the traffic is non-existent.  We do it every year.  I own a condo in Kissimmee, so when we head down for HHN,, we always build in HOS on a Saturday.  We drive down, attend the event and drive back all in the same night.  Not a big deal.

5 hours ago, fvcking cvnt said:

I'd say they do bungee scares REALLY effectively there from what I can remember, had me on the floor in fear

Nailed it.

We were walking thru an exceptionally dark area of the park, and this actor came flying out the dark at what seemed like 100mph right at me.  Scared me bad enough, that it literally took my breath from me.  I froze in place and had to force myself to suck in air.  Of course, my companions were in hysterics laughing, but I will never forget that one.  It's why I keep going back.  :) 

• Like 1