Halloween Horror Nights 28 Speculation

Mark M.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:09 AM, PeoriaBJJ said:

my condolences... 

let me ask you this.... Ive been wanting to go to Hollywood and do touristy stuff. One thing being a tour of the studios. If I went during HHN would I be disappointed in Hollywoods event compared to all these years in Orlando?

If you went with an open mind, understanding that all of the mazes are IP, I bet you'd like really it - assuming 2018 is not a repeat of the awful 2017 season.

People may be surprised for me to say that, but a lot of Orlando bloggers fall in love with HHN Hollywood the first time they visit (again, 2017 was an exception).  Terror Tram IS very good the very first time you experience it.

However, it is pretty funny to watch their vlog as they exit mazes and say "there sure were a lot of black hallways in that one".

But even if you hated HHN Hollywood, it would make you appreciate Orlando that much more.  If you do HHN, you must buy a FOTL pass.  Period.

I have to warn you, though, when you see our F&F, you will be extra pissed at Orlando for ripping out two attractions only to copy our miserable version with literally no enhancements.  They successfully converted Kong into a decent experience, and then this happened...

If you come out to California you must put Knotts on your agenda, and any of these: Delusion (if you can get a ticket), Sinister Pointe, and Reign of Terror.  Personally, I think you'd be more impressed with Knotts than with HHN Hollywood.

• Like 2

Honestly I hope Horror made here kicks the living shit out of hollywood, Why? Because im kinda sick of all the corner cutting that Hollywood does. Plus if Murdy is smart he will decide to step up his game since he has new competition that has some powerful IP's. Also makes me scared we will never see new line properties again :(

Edited by krazyhorrorkid
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, krazyhorrorkid said:

Honestly I hope Horror made here kicks the living shit out of hollywood, Why? Because im kinda sick of all the corner cutting that Hollywood does. Plus if Murdy is smart he will decide to step up his game since he has new competition that has some powerful IP's. Also makes me scared we will never see new line properties again :(

Hopefully  we can see them, but Hollywood can’t. 

3 hours ago, Gambit said:

So if anyone was doubting those Poltergeist rumors, take a look at some of the latest construction photos from Hollywood. That house looks a little familiar...

Pic from @CaliInformer 

N7mn2or.png

Given that Poltergeist is, as Fallow said, a "Haunted Mansion-level scary property," I'm really interested to see this forum's and the GP's reaction when this is announced. 

Guessing the announcement schedule will be a lot like how last year's was from this point: late July (guessing Blumhouse 2), then mid-August (guessing Poltergeist), then last Tuesday of August (guessing H4), then last Thursday of August (last three originals). 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Guessing the announcement schedule will be a lot like how last year's was from this point: late July (guessing Blumhouse 2), then mid-August (guessing Poltergeist), then last Tuesday of August (guessing H4), then last Thursday of August (last three originals). 

Is it too much to hope for one a week? Not long to go now, and 6 houses still to be announced!

• Like 1

So great to catch up on all the news and commentary.  I was in the UK for two weeks on vacation, and when I got back to work, I was buried for a week.  I missed a lot, apparently.

Btw, let me say right now how grateful I am for this forum.  I've meet such great people because of Nightmares, and I continue to do so.  This is more than just a place to speculate, bitch and fangirl/fanboy.. it's a place to make friends.  @Drummanmatt - looking forward to meeting up with you at HHN.  Thanks for spending some time with us - we really enjoyed meeting you.

My last comment before leaving was that I hoped Chucky wasn't actually coming.  Well, he is.  Glad some of you are happy.  I will spend my time elsewhere.  Dumb little shit.

I am intrigued about the Poltergeist spec.. I wasn't sure at first how that could be a house.. but the more I thought about it, the more I could see it happening.  It was one of my fave movies growing up, so it would be cool to see this at HHN along with Killer Klowns!  HAHAHAH!! Omg, that is priceless.  It's such a dumbass movie, but still a classic.

@mystiquephreeq your entire puzzle solving with the names Emily and Alice gave me goosebumps.  I don't agree with @WESKER69 that because some of these things were posted on FB for the oblivious GP that they mean nothing.  I think you're on to something with all this.  I firmly believe that  A&D was given some leeway again to do their thing, and they ran with it.  I think they  planted all kinds of Easter eggs for nerds like us - many of which "management" or "marketing" may not even realize. So, screw them (management & marketing).  A&D should be driving this train ALL THE TIME.  Soon enough, maybe someone will realize it.  

@Legacy - are you telling us we get nothing this week?  Is it going to be another 10 days before we get anything?  I hate this waiting part.. though I can't bitch too much since all the postcards were released on my birthday.  Thanks A&D.  Oh, and thanks to whoever first mentioned that Kimberly Duncan was the chick from Terminator.  I knew when I read the name I had heard it.. and I was banging my head trying to place it.. and there it was.  You guys always have the answers.

Sorry I haven't actually contributed shit here..  just wanted to say hi and let you all know how much I appreciate you.  Super!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, hunnylvr said:

Btw, let me say right now how grateful I am for this forum.  I've meet such great people because of Nightmares, and I continue to do so.  This is more than just a place to speculate, bitch and fangirl/fanboy.. it's a place to make friends.  @Drummanmatt - looking forward to meeting up with you at HHN.  Thanks for spending some time with us - we really enjoyed meeting you.

Thank you for this! After 10 years (this year), it's been a long crazy ride. Although things have slowed here the past couple of years, we will continue to try our best to run a community with information.. as fans for fans!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Because I don't follow speculation maps, and don't agree with them since they can be wrong from time-to-time, I've put together my own speculation map based on already-announced houses. Feel free to disagree.

Stranger Things - Soundstage 22

Trick 'r Treat - Sprung Tent 2

Dead Exposure: Patient Zero - Sprung Tent 1

Slaughter Sinema - Shrek 4D Theater 2

Also, aren't we supposedly getting our next house announcement tomorrow?

YEARS ATTENDED & FAVORITE HOUSES

HHN XXV - JACK PRESENTS 25 YEARS OF MONSTERS & MAYHEM

HHN XXVI - HALLOWEEN: HELL COMES TO HADDONFIELD

HHN XXVII - SCARECROW: THE REAPING

Edited by HHN Pro

5 hours ago, HHN Pro said:

Because I don't follow speculation maps, and don't agree with them since they can be wrong from time-to-time, I've put together my own speculation map based on already-announced houses. Feel free to disagree.

Stranger Things - Soundstage 22

Trick 'r Treat - Sprung Tent 2                                                Old parade building

Dead Exposure: Patient Zero - Sprung Tent 1

Slaughter Sinema - Shrek 4D Theater 2                             Sprung tent 2

Also, aren't we supposedly getting our next house announcement tomorrow? July 28

FIFY ;)

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

Just on the topic of "creative:.... I know the new lagoon show has absolutely no bearing on HHN, but to the point of "CREATIVE" -- specific to Orlando

Kong opened in 2016
Fallon in 2017

F&F in 2018

Now the new lagoon show in 2018

Personally am not super impressed with any of these from a creative perspective.   Kong and F&F are practically the same ride.  The F&F is neither and they completely missed an opportunity to make that a creative ride.  (There's a competition race about to happen, so lets get on a bus and go to the after party?)  All of these rides are underwhelming IMHO.  I do like that they replaced attractions that were dated and needed updating, but with this?  And now the new lagoon show has debuted and while I have yet to see it in person, and dont know if we will get to at HHN as the park closes at 7pm on Mondays and Tuesdays, but what Ive seen on videos is that it is nothing new or creative, at all.   After spending a day wandering park to park, the lagoon show ends up being a recap or a commercial for the attractions inside the park.   The design of the show is interesting, but the show itself?  I think it also may be a bit of foreshadowing that I didnt see the Simpsons in the show what with Disney buying up (everything) the studio that produces that show.

So, this all leads to a disturbing trend over the past 3 to 5 years and it seems to be bleeding into HHN, as well.  The idea that we dont really need an icon for the event or that the crowds will just take anything you throw at them (sadly, we will) like a selfie "scare" zone that was as incohesive as it was sparse.   Oh, you havent watched all of AvED -- gonna be kind of hard to understand why dude has a leather mask on.  "Creative" needs help.  I see this channel eating up the 1980's theme of this year's event.  There is easily double the excitement equal to 2016 at this point.  And they don't even have an icon.  The icon is the theme this year.  I hope they see that excitement and keep going in that direction vs the incoherency of 2017.

Lastly, has anyone else considered how the AoV show will be affected by the entire audience being seated for the show?   It feels like we will be sitting and watching vs people being able to dance and participate.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ueeediot said:

Lastly, has anyone else considered how the AoV show will be affected by the entire audience being seated for the show?   It feels like we will be sitting and watching vs people being able to dance and participate.

That is an interesting aspect I didn't consider. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ueeediot said:

Just on the topic of "creative:.... I know the new lagoon show has absolutely no bearing on HHN, but to the point of "CREATIVE" -- specific to Orlando

Kong opened in 2016
Fallon in 2017

F&F in 2018

Personally am not super impressed with any of these from a creative perspective.   Kong and F&F are practically the same ride.  The F&F is neither and they completely missed an opportunity to make that a creative ride.  (There's a competition race about to happen, so lets get on a bus and go to the after party?)  All of these rides are underwhelming IMHO.  I do like that they replaced attractions that were dated and needed updating, but with this?  And now the new lagoon show has debuted and while I have yet to see it in person, and dont know if we will get to at HHN as the park closes at 7pm on Mondays and Tuesdays, but what Ive seen on videos is that it is nothing new or creative, at all.   After spending a day wandering park to park, the lagoon show ends up being a recap or a commercial for the attractions inside the park.   The design of the show is interesting, but the show itself?  I think it also may be a bit of foreshadowing that I didnt see the Simpsons in the show what with Disney buying up (everything) the studio that produces that show.

So, this all leads to a disturbing trend over the past 3 to 5 years and it seems to be bleeding into HHN, as well.  The idea that we dont really need an icon for the event or that the crowds will just take anything you throw at them (sadly, we will) like a selfie "scare" zone that was as incohesive as it was sparse.   Oh, you havent watched all of AvED -- gonna be kind of hard to understand why dude has a leather mask on.  "Creative" needs help.  I see this channel eating up the 1980's theme of this year's event.  There is easily double the excitement equal to 2016 at this point.  And they don't even have an icon.  The icon is the theme this year.  I hope they see that excitement and keep going in that direction vs the incoherency of 2017.

This is SO Accurate. It just seems lazy for them to do all this. The biggest disappointment like you said is going to be AoV. It will not have the same feel and awesomeness when everyone is sitting 50 feet away and just watching. The whole reason why it was so good is because of how close you were and the party feel it had. Standing and being so close made you feel like you were part of the show. All in all, I do applaud Universal for their effort in opening a new attraction every year, but I would rather have them take their time and make an awesome attraction, then open a sub-par one quicker. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ueeediot said:

Kong opened in 2016
Fallon in 2017

F&F in 2018

While I agree with you that Orlando's newer attractions aren't all that impressive, I think creative does a great job at being creative where they can be. I'm not a big fan of Kong and F&F. They are obviously just Hollywood rip offs with very very little added to the ride experience. They didn't have to spend any money into planning out a new attraction, though. So why would the big wigs at Universal decide to throw millions upon millions into something new when they could just use blueprints or whatever they use to build rides that they already have? They are based on extremely popular IPs that will bring in crowds no matter how good the ride is which is why they built these rides. 

Creative did create insanely immersive and detailed queues that Hollywood doesn't have, however. Fallon is a mediocre ride at best but the queue, again, is the most impressive part. 

Universal excels with creativity most when it comes to immersion. No matter what the ride experience is, the ride itself can even suck, the attractions at Universal put you into a certain environment. Same goes for anything at HHN. Last year Saw kind of sucked, yet, it can't be said that they weren't creative by pretty much replicating scenes from the movie that made you feel like you were apart of it. 

Kong has a wow factor on the exterior and a scare actor in the queue, Fallon is practically a full museum, and F&F has a very cool showcase of cars and movie references. Again, I agree with you that creative didn't go all in on these, but they definitely did with the other aspects of the entire ride experience. 

I haven't seen the new lagoon show either, but from what I've seen from pictures and videos, it looks like they put a lot of time and effort into making it an impressive night time show with water screens, pyro, fog, and lasers. Some of the fountains shoot upwards of like 140 feet, I believe, which I'm sure is amazing to see in person. There are scenes from current movies that are relevant and also throwbacks to movies in the past. Having Potter stuff in the show is probably the most noteworthy of all the IPs considering it isn't a Universal property. I'm sure you're right that the Simpsons weren't used because of Disney most likely getting Fox soon.

In terms of being creative, I guess Universal could have done more. But  still, it seems like a nice way to cap off a day at Universal. I am doubtful they will run the show during Horror Nights this year since, to your point, they don't stay open past 7 on nights Horror Nights isn't running.   

You make a good point that the 80's theme is literally this years icon.

AOV, assuming it is going to be in Fear Factor this year, will definitely have less crowd participation. But who knows, maybe they can have an area blocked off for people to stand near the stage for them to dance and what not. AOV worked with a lot less space these past two years than they will have with the FF stage. Maybe they can compromise some of the space towards the front for standing room? 

You missed a new experience that they added late last year which was the Harry Potter nighttime show at IOA. Mike Aiello worked on this and the lagoon show and he's the brain child / creative genius behind a lot of the aspects of what makes HHN so great. He obviously puts his heart and soul into whatever he works on and I think it shows in whatever he has had his hands on. With the new Potter coaster next year, Nintendo Land, replacements to older rides/lands like Shrek, Terminator, KidZone, and Lost Continent coming someday, the eventual 4th gate, and years of HHN to come, I'm positive creative will redeem themselves for just replicating rides at their other park on the west coast.  

• Like 1

I think the recent spate of budget attractions is primarily due to wanting to keep cash to expand and build the new park.

For example, from what I understand the area for F&F is huge, yet mostly under-utilised. This suggests either poor planning, or the original idea which was green lit was scaled back so much that they had no option but to make the carbon copy of Hollywood’s version to meet the deadline. 

Also it sounds more and more likely that nintendoland isnt coming to universal studios at all. It would, however, slot right in as a land in a new park. 

The Mangement are therefore left in a dilemma. Either stop building new rides altogether, and be accused of having no ideas and becoming stale while the new park is being developed behind closed doors (and lose attendance). Or, build something each year to keep people talking about the parks and want to come back more often. 

People forget that this is a business. It is there to make money. Why build a $1bn state of the art attraction which brings additional revenue of $100m per year, when you can build a $300m average attraction which brings $50m additional revenue per year? Yes it’s not the best for us as fans and the end consumer, but business wise it makes sense.

To Management money talks, and by spending less on new attractions now they can invest more heavily into the new park. 

Not or saying I agree or disagree with the strategy, just that I understand the commercial rationale behind it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MGregorio594 said:

While I agree with you that Orlando's newer attractions aren't all that impressive,

BUt, I get it.  They had to do SOMETHING.  But dang, I was really hoping for something better with F&F.  

Creative did create insanely immersive and detailed queues that Hollywood doesn't have, however. Fallon is a mediocre ride at best but the queue, again, is the most impressive part. 

Agreed, but while I enjoy the themeing and its one of the main reasons that I enjoy USF, the queue is not why I'm there.  But, I can accept Kong and Fallon as family friendly and their ride cars fit the environment.  I guess I just expected more with how over the top the movies are.

Kong has a wow factor on the exterior and a scare actor in the queue, 

Ive heard this rumor, but never seen one.

I haven't seen the new lagoon show either, but from what I've seen from pictures and videos, it looks like they put a lot of time and effort into making it an impressive night time show with water screens, pyro, fog, and lasers. Some of the fountains shoot upwards of like 140 feet, I believe, which I'm sure is amazing to see in person.

I will reserve judgement till I see it in person too

There are scenes from current movies that are relevant and also throwbacks to movies in the past.

I didnt see anything throwback or even anything that is not a current attraction in the park.  I thought it could literally be recut and shown as a commercial.

You make a good point that the 80's theme is literally this years icon.

AOV, assuming it is going to be in Fear Factor this year, will definitely have less crowd participation. But who knows, maybe they can have an area blocked off for people to stand near the stage for them to dance and what not. AOV worked with a lot less space these past two years than they will have with the FF stage. Maybe they can compromise some of the space towards the front for standing room? 

You missed a new experience that they added late last year which was the Harry Potter nighttime show at IOA. Mike Aiello worked on this and the lagoon show and he's the brain child / creative genius behind a lot of the aspects of what makes HHN so great. He obviously puts his heart and soul into whatever he works on and I think it shows in whatever he has had his hands on.

I agree about his passion and I envy his position, for sure.  It's got to be a great job.  I did miss the HP show.  And from what I saw it was done quite well.  I wish they would bring the parade from Japan over to USF too.

With the new Potter coaster next year, Nintendo Land, replacements to older rides/lands like Shrek, Terminator, KidZone, and Lost Continent coming someday, the eventual 4th gate, and years of HHN to come, I'm positive creative will redeem themselves for just replicating rides at their other park on the west coast.  

I've got a little one that I plan to take for years to come, so I hope so.