HHN 25 Discussion

Oops I didn't mean to cause this huge cloud of negativity. I was just being honest with the current pricing of the event. Like comparing the lineup to what it actually costs to go. Because nowadays to be comfortable you need an express pass. And that's all well and good if all of the houses sound fun. But this year I just thought the lineup was lacking.

And this coming from someone who did attend a lot of the earlier years but personally prefers the IPs. Dream Walkers is one of my favorite houses ever. Body Snatchers is probably one of my favorite originals. I've gone so many years that I hate to see the event reuse houses like Howl O Scream does. And that's what AWIL feels like to me.

I'm glad everyone else is fine with it being back. I thought it was good the first time around but just feel like they could have done something differently with how many different horror properties there are out there. Quoting someones post above, yeah no ones ideal lineup is going to suit everyone but having three properties back so soon is kind of a waste (and I know they couldn't do anything about The Purge situation).

I understand TWD. Really I do. I was one of it's biggest supporters here leading up to the 2nd year. I wanted to see it come back because I felt the potential was not met in 2012. And last year I was fine with it too. Biggest house ever, sign me up! But this year the best thing they can say about it is "We added water!" It just screams marketing. If they really wanted people to be excited they would have finally gotten the rights from AMC to use the characters in the house. That's what people want.

If I go I'll still be excited to walk through it but I know to lower my expectations from previous years. I did like the house a lot last year though especially the forest scene and the ending.

I'm glad to hear Scream was originally planned to be the movie. I wonder what happened at the last minute then when the TV show is a very different beast. And I am bummed we'll never see this property at the event ever.

As someone who also goes to Howl O Scream frequently, Alice 3D does sound like an idea from them. I thought A&D would be more creative with picking am original for the anniversary. It screams safe, especially with 3D.

Okay so with all that said, I really am excited for Freddy vs Jason & Blizzard. I can't wait to see what they do with the Body Snatchers. I hope that the Anniversary house is better then Hallow'd Past. I went that year and can barely remember that house besides that it was in the parade building. That was the one I was looking forward to the most during the event too. So once again just not setting my expectations through the roof.

Insidious should be really well done and hopefully RUN can capture some magic of the past. The Purge has the chance to be really cool too and it will be interesting to see if you can spot the scenes from Scream that were removed.

I love that the pumpkins are back in the streets. That atmosphere was missing in the past few years in the event. Like I'm not huge on scare zones (especially last years minus Purge) but this year they all sound pretty cool.

So honestly I'm not all negative. Just not as amped as last year where the only house I wasn't excited about was Dracula Untold. I didn't have high expectations for Giggles N Gore either but the idea was awesome. The shortness of the house...not so much.

It should be fun and I'll be eager to read the reviews on Employee night. I'll decide if I'm going to go or not as it gets closer. I'm sure I probably will.

I've gone so many years that I hate to see the event reuse houses like Howl O Scream does. 

As someone who also goes to Howl O Scream frequently, Alice 3D does sound like an idea from them. I thought A&D would be more creative with picking am original for the anniversary. It screams safe, especially with 3D.

Well, Howloscream and HHN are completely different animals. I've attended both multiple years and they really don't compare in so many aspects. When Howloscream makes a house, they milk it. For about 3-6 years in a row that house will appear. With maybe 2 (1 this year) new house. Along with a basic theme and maybe some hint at one of their "icons" (raven twins, Sylvia.. Etc.).

Well, I'm sure Alice isn't their priority. They found their key original (BC, PS) and the rest who knows.

I don't mind AWIL coming back simply because we have an extra house this year, and I feel like that will help with crowds some. Had we only had 8, as usual, I'd feel a bit ripped off. But I wouldn't mind if we had 1 "greatest hits" house each year going forward, so long as we had 9 or 10 houses total. As soon as we have 8 house with a repeat house, I'll be sounding the alarms and crying 'bullshit'.

• Like 1

Well, Howloscream and HHN are completely different animals. I've attended both multiple years and they really don't compare in so many aspects. When Howloscream makes a house, they milk it. For about 3-6 years in a row that house will appear. With maybe 2 (1 this year) new house. Along with a basic theme and maybe some hint at one of their "icons" (raven twins, Sylvia.. Etc.).

Well, I'm sure Alice isn't their priority. They found their key original (BC, PS) and the rest who knows.

Well Howl o Scream Williamsburg is getting 3 new houses.

HoS Williamsburg needed those 3 new haunts.  I went to the event in 2007 and again in 2012.  Two of the haunts (Deadline and Bitten) were the same.

That's one thing I love about HHN, it's never the same. I'm happy to have AWiL back this year. It's my #1 house and I scrambled to do it twice on the final night in 2013.  My girlfriend didn't go that year and she loves the film.

Since I didn't have the money to start attending until 2012, this year is all about catching up.  Feel sorry for y'all  who have seen all this before, but I finally get to experience Run, Body Collectors, Psychoscareapy, and meet the Caretaker and Director! 

Speaking of those two, I went back and watched their promos for HHN 12 and 13. Man those were so well done. I remember seeing those ads as a teenager and freaking out. They still hold up today. 

• Like 3

HoS Williamsburg needed those 3 new haunts.  I went to the event in 2007 and again in 2012.  Two of the haunts (Deadline and Bitten) were the same.

That's one thing I love about HHN, it's never the same. I'm happy to have AWiL back this year. It's my #1 house and I scrambled to do it twice on the final night in 2013.  My girlfriend didn't go that year and she loves the film.

Since I didn't have the money to start attending until 2012, this year is all about catching up.  Feel sorry for y'all  who have seen all this before, but I finally get to experience Run, Body Collectors, Psychoscareapy, and meet the Caretaker and Director! 

Speaking of those two, I went back and watched their promos for HHN 12 and 13. Man those were so well done. I remember seeing those ads as a teenager and freaking out. They still hold up today. 

Agreed. This is a good catch up year to the more recent attenders, like myself.

well, we're in Florida. This is the Orlando forum, we couldn't care less about other events far away. Especially if they aren't related.

And that sort of attitude is why HHN has gotten a bit stale. A lot of the "innovative" stuff Universal has introduced over the last three-four years have been used in haunts around the nation for ten-fifteen years. What HHN presents, while of a ridiculously high aesthetic quality, is way behind the curve in regards to scares, techniques and themes.

Yes, the amount of people who go through a house nightly is incomparable. That does affect the ability to do some things. But to outright dismiss what everyone else is doing because they're not in Orlando (especially with the complaints we're seeing) is short-sighted. HHN may be the most attended, it may be the best theme park Halloween event, but it's not the best place for haunts.

Edited by Legacy
  • Like 5

Something on the site that's been bothering me: when I go to horrornightnightmares.com it plays the first part of the pop goes the weasel, but when I hit the FORUM button it takes me to horrornightnightmares.com/forums and it plays the same soundbyte. can anyone with the power look into replacing the forum sound with the second part of pop goes the weasel?

The sound byte is built into the flash countdown that is both on the homepage and forums.  Whenever each one is loaded, it just reloads the countdown from the beginning thus playing the sound over.

• Like 1

And that sort of attitude is why HHN has gotten a bit stale. A lot of the "innovative" stuff Universal has introduced over the last three-four years have been used in haunts around the nation for ten-fifteen years. What HHN presents, while of a ridiculously high aesthetic quality, is way behind the curve in regards to scares, techniques and themes.

That's pretty much it. HHN is theatrical. It's a show. And their pretentious attitude about "We are HHN" means nothing. It's like someone who is content with being "good" but stopping to strive for excellence. Hell, their scare zones have basically been terrible for years now solely because they're not actually scary. I would even question how well themed they are.

I wouldn't mind adding my two cents in. I admit I'm disappointing in the move of "more IPs over originality". I also admit that some IPs sell big (some but not all IMO which I'll get to in a bit) Regardless I'm still going to the event and I'm stoked about Blizzard including the Anniversary house and even RUN 3.0 (or 1.2 without the pulse lines.) Heck I wouldn't be surprised if at least one house if not more pulls a "HAVOC" and blows peoples minds.

As for IPs, I still believe that the reason the crowds are so big for the last 4 years was mostly on TWD and it makes me wonder what will happen with the crowds when Universal is unable to use the TWD license. Sure Uni will likely find another property but TWD is "once in a blue moon"; not just for horror but for most entertainment genres in general. It could be challenging to find a IP that can even come close to TWD when it comes to bringing in record crowds. People travel hundreds of miles to see TWD but would they do the same for Dracula Untold or The Thing premake?

I'm hoping that one day Universal does a proper balance of IPs and originals (if it continues to have 9 houses, 4 IPs and 5 originals. If it goes back to eight, half and half.) and be more wise about bringing in IPs that are proven with the fans to keep that crowds going. (ex. ED, AHS, FNAF) As for this years I can't wait for Blizzard and RUN. (I have'nt been to the original RUN house so if it at least keeps the same concept if not the pulse line of the actual maze like format I would finally settle a 14 year regret.

Yes, the amount of people who go through a house nightly is incomparable. That does affect the ability to do some things. But to outright dismiss what everyone else is doing because they're not in Orlando (especially with the complaints we're seeing) is short-sighted. HHN may be the most attended, it may be the best theme park Halloween event, but it's not the best place for haunts.

well at the same time, are you gonna fly to Virginia to experience howloscream? No, probably not, because it's irrelevant when we have HHN and our own Howloscream in Tampa.  So yeah, you are right. But it's one thing to dismiss an event that's usually not special, like HOS, then to dismiss a late upheld haunt. Like the SS queen Mary or something to that extent that is acclaimed over. 

In my book HOS hasn't been special since 2010. Because that year they really took off with a whole theme and all new houses. Which we have never had since. 

So I guess at this point it is safe to say that I am not impressed with the theme park haunt this year; but it's what should be expected nowadays. That's why my attitude is the way it is. 

Ohhhh Hollywood! (Orlando)

bold move cotton lets see if it pays off

On more fun topics, I hope I'm not the only one who has seen what's gone up in Hollywood Blvd...

nope!

Pretty interesting that they haven't announced anything about the scarezone yet but have those props out anyway. 

Edited by marmoset

I love the banners on Hollywood Blvd but I do have to wonder if there's going to be more icons.  I understand why Bloody Mary wouldn't be there but why not Lady luck or Fear?  Just because marketing had a big part in them doesn't mean they aren't icons. 

• Like 1

I guess when the event is treated like a daily excursion it can be compared to other events in terms of cost. But speaking as a Canadian, who has nothing t compare the event to, Universal in general is expensive. A four day trip to Universal (and MNSSHP tickets) costs roughly $4000 for two people. So next time you shell out $100 and think, wow this is expensive, think of the people who have nothing even close in their backyard and need to shell out $1000 just to fly to Orlando. You Orlandians have an embarrassment of riches and its causing you to be overly critical methinks.

• Like 2

I love the banners on Hollywood Blvd but I do have to wonder if there's going to be more icons.  I understand why Bloody Mary wouldn't be there but why not Lady luck or Fear?  Just because marketing had a big part in them doesn't mean they aren't icons. 

Agreed. I get Fear sort of, since "he's bigger than the normal icons". But I'm sorta sad at the lack of LL. SHE DESERVES REDEMPTION.

• Like 2