HHN 25 Discussion

Maybe it's just me, but something about the "posters" just screams Bioshock to me.  No inference that we're getting it...or another Saws N Stream clone or anything.  Just the artistic aspects of it instantly remind me of Bioshock...which I haven't played in probably 5 years and can't think of a specific reason why.

BTW, I love them.  I also love Photo Op zones.  And 3D houses.  Come to think of it, most of the stuff I really like are the things most others hate.  Ha ha ha. 

-------------------------------------------

Edit - mostly off topic, but not sure where else to put this.  I've gotten into photography the past year and got a DSLR camera and 3 lenses that I'd like to use to take some pictures at Horror Night.  I know how strict they are at the front gate, but I also have Universal day tickets to go to the "holding pens" so I don't think there'd be any problems getting my gear in.  No tripod, no flash photography, etc.  Anybody who posts the awesome pictures each year have any input for what kind of trouble I might expect or any tips?  My camera bag is a decent sized backpack and was thinking of maybe picking up something a little smaller like a LowePro DSLR bag that hold just 2 lenses.

Edited by Oysterhead00
  • Like 2

Guest kiwisoup

The posters are reminiscent of a carnival or sideshow poster. I like them and think they fit the overall theme...which frankly I'm just glad to see that there is one.

On Twitter @fowlowlerson wrote:

* Per this new source, Eddie is rumored to bein both Run 3 AND the HHN25 icon maze

* Crypt Keeper is rumored to appear in the icon scare zone

* LA Llorona wlil appear in the icon scare zone

Ah, beat me to it. If the LL thing is true, I'm wondering if the non-icon characters in that zone will be all the characters in originals from the past 5 years. Nightingales, The Gothic gargoyles, La Llorona, the Dolls from Dollhouse, characters from original mazes of the last 5 years. That would be interesting. 

• Like 3

Ah, beat me to it. If the LL thing is true, I'm wondering if the non-icon characters in that zone will be all the characters in originals from the past 5 years. Nightingales, The Gothic gargoyles, La Llorona, the Dolls from Dollhouse, characters from original mazes of the last 5 years. That would be interesting. 

It would be pretty cool if Hollywood Blvd. was just overrun, maxed out, with everything from icons to past characters of all sorts.  Maybe this is the "most scare actors in scare zones than ever before.....?"  Or part of it.

• Like 3

think some scarezones too

• Like 1

Good thought. Just spitballing, but what if LL is really from the Day of the Dead SZ (I could see the confusion)?  Maybe mix in "best of" SZ characters. For example, could see Maskerade being there as well, maybe someone from 7.

think some scarezones too

Ha! Just missed this. I'll take it I'm on the right track at least. Sounds promising.

• Like 2

See the trick to going especially if you traveling long distances to come is fly in on a Wednesday and get a FFP.

This allows you to go 2 nights for the cost of 1 admission. Hell this year due to the dates I am going I get 3 nights for the price of 1

We fly down from Peoria, IL (couple hours south of Chicago) on a Wednesday night. Go Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights. We get fast passes and see every house at LEAST 4 times, sometimes more. Its expensive as hell but we are lucky enough to be able to afford it financially and have parents to watch the little one! I cant wait to get down there!!!! Worth every penny.... these new pics are getting me pumped!

• Like 6

Replace Peoria, IL with "Upstate NY" and that's EXACTLY what my group does :)

Edit:  This weird thing with the forum not allowing you to QUOTE replies or post new ones really needs to be fixed, it's making my comments look dumber than they really are...and that's not easy to do!

Edited by Oysterhead00

where else to put this.  I've gotten into photography the past year and got a DSLR camera and 3 lenses that I'd like to use to take some pictures at Horror Night.  I know how strict they are at the front gate, but I also have Universal day tickets to go to the "holding pens" so I don't think there'd be any problems getting my gear in.  No tripod, no flash photography, etc.  Anybody who posts the awesome pictures each year have any input for what kind of trouble I might expect or any tips?  My camera bag is a decent sized backpack and was thinking of maybe picking up something a little smaller like a LowePro DSLR bag that hold just 2 lenses.

My suggestion... get yourself the fastest lens you can afford. Probably be a prime 50mm in F1.8 or f1.4 (double the cost though) and a monopod. Its dark there and unless you want to deal with dnoisey pics to the Nth degree the faster lens the better. For the first time this year I'm  taking my nikon and f1.4 to the event. Just my 2 cents.

My suggestion... get yourself the fastest lens you can afford. Probably be a prime 50mm in F1.8 or f1.4 (double the cost though) and a monopod. Its dark there and unless you want to deal with dnoisey pics to the Nth degree the faster lens the better. For the first time this year I'm  taking my nikon and f1.4 to the event. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks!  I've been looking at a Nikkor 35mm F1.8 and it's definitely in my price range.  Might just have to pick that up and put that, my 18-55mm zoom and 10-24mm wideangle in the my bag (shoudln't need my 55-200mm for anything).

• Like 1

so I took a bunch of pics. Lord it's hot today.Link in the construction photos. Saw the gazeebo today. it's basically a frame. I'm assuming it will be on fire or smoldering. should look fine. There is some kind of panel and a winching rope... not sure if that is how they moved it or it will do something.

2yx3wk9.jpg

Monopods are not allowed anymore unfortunately. They are being banned everywhere along with the selfie stick. 

Oh I have a Nikon D70s and a prime fs 1.4 lens. Problem is prime means you can't zoom. Upside is low light shots. downside is you are hoofing it around to get the shot. But to get a low light low f stop lens that zooms you better be rich.

• Like 2

so I took a bunch pf pics. Lord it's hot today.Link in the construction photos. Saw the gazeebo today. it's basically a frame. I'm assuming it will be on fire or smoldering. should look fine. There is some kind of panel and a winching rope... not sure if that is how they moved it or it will do something.

2yx3wk9.jpg

Yeah, I noticed this too when I was in the park. I think that the hole in the gazebo will have a fog machine inside to make it seem like it's on fire....maybe even a sound effect of fire cackling? Don't really see how the winching rope could be used for something other than moving the prop, but I could be wrong. Can't wait til the even t starts and we get to see all of this in action! 

so I took a bunch of pics. Lord it's hot today.Link in the construction photos. Saw the gazeebo today. it's basically a frame. I'm assuming it will be on fire or smoldering. should look fine. There is some kind of panel and a winching rope... not sure if that is how they moved it or it will do something.

2yx3wk9.jpg

Monopods are not allowed anymore unfortunately. They are being banned everywhere along with the selfie stick. 

Oh I have a Nikon D70s and a prime fs 1.4 lens. Problem is prime means you can't zoom. Upside is low light shots. downside is you are hoofing it around to get the shot. But to get a low light low f stop lens that zooms you better be rich.

Zoom does you no good in that low light...better to use the zoom God gave you:  your feet :) 

It's my first DSLR so I just got a D3200 and I think the fastest lens I can get is the 1.8.

Awesome picture...I love the look of the dilapidated gazebo...especially if there are flames flying out the bottom!

Oh also... Pumpkins 

I guess I'm weird, I don't forget pumpkin patterns. Saw plenty I had seen before. Some looking like it's there last year. I wouldn't think any of them are from '08 but a good portion of them are from previous years.

Guest kiwisoup

Slightly off topic but is there any word of Diagon Alley being open during HHN this year? 

It would really take a lot of the crowds away!

It was open during HHN last year, but not part of HHN.

I really don't see this happening any time soon. For one, they kept Diagon Alley open separately from HHN, so that people not attending HHN could still enjoy Diagon Alley, rather than being kicked out at 5pm like the rest of the park, then exit via the Hogwarts Express to Islands of Adventure which remains open later till 7 or 8.

Secondly, having "Diagon Alley" open just for HHN would mean that non-HHN attendees would probably get ticked off, and with it suddenly being counted as part of HHN's budget instead of all of Universal's, it's hard to justify keeping it open just for HHN, because it would require 100+ extra employees just to do so: shops, stands, restaurant, shows, Gringott's, etc.

Universal could easily just open more rides outside of Diagon Alley which would take less resources than keeping all of Diagon Alley open, despite not drawing as many people obviously. I personally like the set-up as it was last year as I plan on using the extra hours in Diagon Alley on nights that I am not attending HHN.

Edited by kiwisoup

It was open during HHN last year, but not part of HHN. As for being included in HHN, I really don't see this happening. For one, they kept Diagon Alley open separately from HHN, so that people not attending HHN could still enjoy Diagon Alley, rather than being kicked out at 5pm like the rest of the park, then exit via the Hogwarts Express to Islands of Adventure which remains open later till 7 or 8.

Secondly, having "Diagon Alley" open just for HHN would mean that non-HHN attendees would probably get ticked off, and with it suddenly being counted as part of HHN's budget instead of all of Universal's, it's hard to justify keeping it open just for HHN, because it would require 100+ extra employees just to do so: shops, stands, restaurant, shows, Gringott's, etc.

Universal could easily just open more rides outside of Diagon Alley which would take less resources than keeping all of Diagon Alley open, despite not drawing as many people obviously. I personally like the set-up as it was last year as I plan on using the extra hours in Diagon Alley on nights that I am not attending HHN.

See I feel like they could easily pull it off and just not open all (if any) shops. The sales of Butterbeer and beer in general will more than make up the costs. I would LOVE it if I could grab a butterbeer while walking around a Scarezone. 

I fail to see how non-HHN attendees would get ticked off if it was open as well. Last year, the ride was closed before 5pm. The first day I did Stay and Scream I figured the ride was just down, but it never came back up. The next day, we were in the area around 4:30 planning on doing stay and scream as well and they closed the line right at 4:45. The final day, we stayed in the zone and were literally forced out of the zone at 6:30pm. A line of police and security start at the back of the zone and force everybody out. They even started to block off the bathrooms at 6:15pm. It was a very empty Stay and Scream location because the ride was closed and the shops didn't hold peoples attention that were visiting from IoA. 

If they could keep just Gringotts, the Ice Cream location, the restaurant and both butterbeer/beer locations open, they could make a huge profit still. Plus having that whole zone open during the event would greatly increase total park capacity allowing them to let more guests in the front gates. I could see them doing what they did last year and at 6:30 they force everybody out, block off the train area, do final checks through all the shops to make sure it is empty and by 7:00pm, open it for HHN. I am sure Universal WANTS to keep it open, but it is not up to them. JK has final say like she always has for "her" theme park zones. 

hmm... does anyone else think those banners look the way they do for reasons other than they fit with a sideshow theme? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE them. It's just that when I saw them, they reminded me of Haunted Mansion portraits where different lighting creates different images. so far, all we've seen of them is in daylight, could they be backlit to produce skeletal/demonic silhouettes of the icons? or possibly the zone will switch between regular themed lighting and blacklight, producing similar effects to what we've seen in 2012's Universal House of Horrors in the parade building? I'm just spitballing here, but that's what came to mind.

I haven't been to Universal in the last few weeks, but from what I've seen on the forums, everything looks awesome!

(P.S. Not sure if this really matters to anyone or not, but they are starting to send us emails telling us our roles, and our rehearsals start on the 30th, so expect a full reveal in the next day or so!)

• Like 3

2q9e2dv.jpg
Universal will NOT be getting my repeat business anymore. I have had my annual pass for ten years. I've seen it go from (for renewal) $99, $119, $129, last year was $159, and this year is $224.99. That is a $65.00 increase in the renewal price. I could get that "deal" through AAA buying it outright. Shove it Universal.

In a weird twist though. This frees up some gift cards that I have no choice but to use for Universal (was going to use them on my passes)...  

So I may actually go to Halloween Horror Nights one night. No UMTH and no merch. As I own and operate a haunt/horror website I kind of feel obligated to go and review it one night. So there it is. I may actually go.

• Like 11

I for one am excited that the past icons are returning. It is something that I have been waiting for since XX. But bringing them back with no explanation disappoints me slightly; are they just forgetting the story that they developed in XX when they took all of the icons away with Fear?

I understand that most of the attendees will not care or think about it at all. However, story continuity is a big deal to me. Anyone know anything about this?

Universal has more than justified raising prices with all the new additions coming, but whatever floats your boat.

I don't want to turn this into a debate. Mostly just saying things work weird and I end up sort of having to go. Venting a bit too

I don't really agree. They aren't hurting. Those parks are packed. 100 min waits and it cost money for fast pass. The park is flooded with foreigners all the time. They also didn't raise AP prices... just renewal. It doesn't benifit me to renew.

As I said just explaining why I'm going after swearing it off. AP doesn't work for me anymore. They won't care either way. But I will get to see the event at least... possibly. So just strange how things work out.

Here's hoping the event proves my expectations wrong.