HHN XX Discussion

They could make the facade for PS old and use the spinning vortex to bascally "take you back"... I could see that working

The vortex is located in the Parade building though & I believe UO only has one that's in use. They could have bought another, or multiple for that matter.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some thoughts on the site reveal, the conference call, and the discussion here.

I think it’s interesting that hallowed is spelled hallow’d in the name Horror Nights: The Hallow’d Past. I tried to research a possible reason/significance for using that distinction, but came up empty handed. It might just be spelled in that Old English style as a throwback to the archival theme for the house.

I took a course in college that focused on Stanly Kubrick’s use and interpretation of source material. Eventually, we analyzed The Shinning and got into the nitty-gritty concepts of the Overlook Hotel (Is it more than a building? Is it actually an entity? Are the impressions of its past fabrications or real? Is the presented story even the first known encounter or is it nightmare/reality within a nightmare/reality). I think that is where Universal is trying to take PsychoScareapy: Echoes of Shadybrook. I don’t think it’s going to be straight up ghosts; I think it’s going to be a mix of different psychological elements that will give you subtle feelings of déjà vu while you walk through new, but related concepts in the house.

Mike said we’d be pleasantly surprised with where Zombiegeddon goes. For the moment, that’s good enough for me.

Regarding Cindy, a good point was brought up in that conference call: we would never have had a Caretaker if it weren’t for her. In a way, Albert Cain carried on Cindy’s existence and the fans carried her untold legacy until Universal was ready to appropriately showcase her. She’s not the event icon, but she’s represented this year in “full glory.” Because she was bounced from her original chronological order, I’m really interested to see if the intensity of her house makes the Scream houses look like prequels in comparison. I’m curious if she’ll be portrayed as a spin off or the primary idea.

Lastly, I’m happy that the updates will continue for the next few weeks and through multiple outlets (the official site, LT, LT on FB). For me, it really helps keep my excitement going. In past years, I’ve gotten pumped when the site fully reveals and it makes me thrilled to start scaring again, but then I start to lose morale because there’s 4-6 weeks of barely any new activity. And even if the main site doesn’t update too much more, at least they have given the fans a lot to be content, dare I say, even happy with. Sometimes, an enthusiastic and happy fan that draws others into the hype is worth a lot more than an elaborate website.

I took a course in college that focused on Stanly Kubrick’s use and interpretation of source material. Eventually, we analyzed The Shinning and got into the nitty-gritty concepts of the Overlook Hotel (Is it more than a building? Is it actually an entity? Are the impressions of its past fabrications or real? Is the presented story even the first known encounter or is it nightmare/reality within a nightmare/reality). I think that is where Universal is trying to take PsychoScareapy: Echoes of Shadybrook. I don’t think it’s going to be straight up ghosts; I think it’s going to be a mix of different psychological elements that will give you subtle feelings of déjà vu while you walk through new, but related concepts in the house.

A Kubrick class? Sign me up.

Anyways, yeah the idea of Shadybrook being an entity is awesome. Years after being vacant its heart is still beating. Great point.

Could someone explain to me what exactly the Psychoscareapy house is supposed to be? Is it supposed to be haunted by ghosts like Legendary Truth or are there just real crazy people running around? I figured it would be real people running around but the ghost looking thing on the house logo is complete throwing me off.

It helps to read past posts. :P;)

Ok, time to clear some things up.

The website is very basic this year on purpose. In past surveys the web site always got high marks from the fan boys but the general public hates it. It was always to confusing for them. They designed this site for the general public and as such all the general public cares about is what are the houses and scarezones, when are the dates of the event, and how do I buy my tickets. They don't want to know the whole backstory or have to solve fifty million puzzles or games to get info about the event. They just want the basic facts and that is all. If you want more from the site then visit Legendary Truth cause that is where all the additional clues, story lines, and fun stuff is going this year.

Zombiegeddon is indeed tongue in cheek and meant to be more fun/funny than scary. Just read the description and you can figure that out. We are going to ZAP ( The Zombie Awareness Program) which is NOT a high end zombie defense training facility but one that was open to make a quick buck. And with anything half ass'ed things don't go as planned. The Zombie Gras scarezone mirrors the humor and is A&D making fun of themselves in a way. Crashed parade floats and zombies throwing beads. Im fairly excited

Psychoscarepy: Echoes of Shadybrook from my understanding is NOT a ghost house. The basic story line is that in the basement of Shadybrook a handful of extremely dangerous patients where kept that only select members of the staff knew about. When Shadybrook closed down and the building was emptied these patients where never let out. Now they seek vengeance on anyone who wanders through the empty halls. This is suppose to be the original intense no-holds-bar scare inducing premise behind Psychoscarepy. No jokes, no games, no clowns, just pure fear.

Also, Catacombs: Black Death Rising is NOT a ghost house either. As it says in the description anyone who was suffering from or showed signs of the plague where thrown into the catacombs under the city and sealed inside left to die. The town is putting together a history event and they want to sweep that little part of the town's history under the rug so they open the catacombs to clean them out but discover some of the plague patients are still living in a sort of mummified state.

And in case it needs anymore clarification, there is only two shows this year. Brian Brushwood and Bill and Ted. No arrival type show.

Edited by strangeoneout

It helps to read past posts. :P;)

Thanks for that. I had missed it, and it's nice to get some more backstory for these houses that seem a little ambiguous. Suddenly, PsychoScarepy seems a lot stronger of a premise and I am even more excited for Catacombs.

I think those central aspects of the house stories are brushed over, which isn't going to help (in my mind.)

Thanks for that. I had missed it, and it's nice to get some more backstory for these houses that seem a little ambiguous. Suddenly, PsychoScarepy seems a lot stronger of a premise and I am even more excited for Catacombs.

I think those central aspects of the house stories are brushed over, which isn't going to help (in my mind.)

When I first found out PsychoScarepy was going to be back I was not excited at all. After hearing the story and how they're not going for the weird comedy or the Jack angle but just pure intense scares it has moved up on my list of most anticipated houses.

Yeah PS threw me off at first but I get it now,

also The thing that threw me off the Catacombs description was the "500 years" sentence, but if is not a ghost house or anything like that thenI guess the people that are going to attack intruders are the descendants or something? I'm wondering why 500 years? is not like the people with the plague were in the catacombs for 500 years, I dont know that really makes me confused and wondering about it

Edited by black7mask

Yeah PS threw me off at first but I get it now,

also The thing that threw me off the Catacombs description was the "500 years" sentence, but if is not a ghost house or anything like that thenI guess the people that are going to attack intruders are the descendants or something? I'm wondering why 500 years? is not like the people with the plague were in the catacombs for 500 years, I dont know that really makes me confused and wondering about it

The 500 years is just a number. The premise really is it's suppose to be this community who years ago rounded up every and anyone who may of had the plague or symptoms of the plague and a few doctors and trapped them deep in these catacombs and left them there to die. No intention of ever finding out if the victims of the plague made it through or even letting any survivors out. They were left for dead. The 500 years comes into play because over time these events have been forgotten by the community as a whole and you need a long span of time for that to happen. There is a supernatural element to the house because when the catacombs are reopened to "clean out" they expect to find just dead corpses. Instead they find out these individuals have somehow survived but are these old almost mummy like beings seeking revenge. Now whether they are humans who have evolved into these mummy like individuals or the actual individuals who where locked in the catacombs 500 years ago and have become undead supernatural mummies of sorts is hard to say. Based on the description "Now that the dead inside have found a way out, they are rising to take their centuries old vengeance on any living being that dares to enter the Catacombs" the story points to it being the original victims locked inside the catacombs betrayed by the town.

Hey again guys. Just letting you know in reference the when I posted about some "Paranormal activities" this was in reference to the Legendary Truth house. Obviously I couldn't directly tell you guys it was that so I was trying my best to post you clues with out getting fired.

I hope you enjoy this years event.

Psychoscarepy: Echoes of Shadybrook from my understanding is NOT a ghost house. The basic story line is that in the basement of Shadybrook a handful of extremely dangerous patients where kept that only select members of the staff knew about. When Shadybrook closed down and the building was emptied these patients where never let out. Now they seek vengeance on anyone who wanders through the empty halls. This is suppose to be the original intense no-holds-bar scare inducing premise behind Psychoscarepy. No jokes, no games, no clowns, just pure fear.

Well I guess that kind of clears that up. Funny how I never saw that posted before. I must have accidentally skipped a page somewhere along the line. However, what's with the strange ghost looking thing on the logo? Are we going to be faced with the ghosts of the former inmates because I doubt after being locked up for 15 years with no food or water they would still be...around.

http://media.universalorlando.com/

Has anyone else noticed that this image of the mummy (first mummy) is the same one from the revenge of the mummy ride? I was recently over at Universal Studios, and as I was on the ride, I noticed they had the mummies tomb closed. Just thought that was pretty cool, sorry if it has been mentioned earlier.

Edited by .error

http://media.universalorlando.com/

Has anyone else noticed that this image of the mummy (first mummy) is the same one from the revenge of the mummy ride? I was recently over at Universal Studios, and as I was on the ride, I noticed they had the mummies tomb closed. Just thought that was pretty cool, sorry if it has been mentioned earlier.

Did not know that. Interesting.

The 500 years is just a number. The premise really is it's suppose to be this community who years ago rounded up every and anyone who may of had the plague or symptoms of the plague and a few doctors and trapped them deep in these catacombs and left them there to die. No intention of ever finding out if the victims of the plague made it through or even letting any survivors out. They were left for dead. The 500 years comes into play because over time these events have been forgotten by the community as a whole and you need a long span of time for that to happen. There is a supernatural element to the house because when the catacombs are reopened to "clean out" they expect to find just dead corpses. Instead they find out these individuals have somehow survived but are these old almost mummy like beings seeking revenge. Now whether they are humans who have evolved into these mummy like individuals or the actual individuals who where locked in the catacombs 500 years ago and have become undead supernatural mummies of sorts is hard to say. Based on the description "Now that the dead inside have found a way out, they are rising to take their centuries old vengeance on any living being that dares to enter the Catacombs" the story points to it being the original victims locked inside the catacombs betrayed by the town.

Sweet. That's a back-story I can get behind.

Although, I pray I am not wearing a mask.

For anybody who's interested, here is the Webcast in MP3 format:

http://www.filedropper.com/01hhnxxwebcast

I'm not much of a techie, but I wanted to make an MP3 to listen to it on my MP3 player. Recorded it in Mono via Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) and then exported as a LAME MP3. File Dropper was the first legit looking hit on "Free File Hosting". It's about 40MB, it zipped down to about 30MB but I know that ZIPs often hide viruses and make people nervous.

No promises about the audio quality or anytihng, but figured I'd share with anybody interested. Of course, this stream is by Behind the Thrills (http://behindthethrills.com/?p=2090) and I have NOTHING to do with it...just captured the audio for those who have difficulty streaming it. Worked fine for me on my MP3 player (Zune....didn't make a WMA for Apple iPod users) and figured I'd share.

I guess Saws N' Steam will be our CDT SZ this year? It would make sense >_>

EDIT: Also, it's been pointed out that they misspelled "Orphanage" and spelled it "Orfanage". After listening to the conference call I think I have a theory as to why. I think they spelled it OrFANage to let us know it was for the dedicated HHN fans. Because no one in the GP knows who Cindy is, but all of us do. Idk if it's been said before, but that's what I think :D

Edited by DROOG

I was wondering today, What would they put in the Gates? Would they put a screen with a video? since they won't show fear yet, I wonder what they would do for the entrance of Uni

Oh and something that I thought was kinda interesting, Orphanage in Spanish is Orfanato, with an F...

Edited by black7mask

I think the screen at the front gate will definitely be back. It's the best way to inform guests on what to expect house and scarezone wise and to introduce the icon. After all, not everyone follows HHN all the time like...well you know. ;)