Halloween Horror Nights 25 Wishful Thinking

Legacy

Them days didn't exist. There was almost always an IP at the event. Whether it was the Universal Classic monsters, a straight up IP house, or them ripping off someone's IP. Granted they have become more blatant and formulaic with them over the years, they were always there. The only year I can think of that had no IPs would be HHN 14. You might say HHN 15 but the Gentleman are from Buffy and Demon Cantina is a direct rip-off of FDTD.

• Like 4

Them days didn't exist. There was almost always an IP at the event. Whether it was the Universal Classic monsters, a straight up IP house, or them ripping off someone's IP. Granted they have become more blatant and formulaic with them over the years, they were always there. The only year I can think of that had no IPs would be HHN 14. You might say HHN 15 but the Gentleman are from Buffy and Demon Cantina is a direct rip-off of FDTD.

I don't think HHN 20 had any ip houses. Just about any monster can be related to 1 movie or another, there isn't much left that really could be truly truly original.

What do you all think about this new film?

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/most-dangerous-movie-ever-made-charges-theaters-121614226.html

Alfred Hitchcock muse brainchild and her then-husband producer of the Exorcist?

BIG CATS!!!!

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

I don't think HHN 20 had any ip houses. Just about any monster can be related to 1 movie or another, there isn't much left that really could be truly truly original.

OK good point I completely forgot about that year. But... The zombie collars was a 100% ripoff of Fido,

the Crypt Keeper was in the HHN 20 years of fear, I'm sure some IP was somewhere in Hallowed past.

Still, that was more of an anniversary year than this one with more original content than has been seen since :P

OK good point I completely forgot about that year. But... The zombie collars was a 100% ripoff of Fido,

the Crypt Keeper was in the HHN 20 years of fear, I'm sure some IP was somewhere in Hallowed past.

Mary Shaw was in there as well.

And Wolf Man.

Edited by Legacy
  • Like 2

2004 had IPs more or less.

Castle Vampyr had scenes right out of Blade.

Horror in Wax had Classic Universal Monsters.

Deadtropolis was at least inspired by George Romero's Land of the Dead they even included clips from the film in the queue videos.

Horror Nights Nightmares had in The Director's scenes some familiar horror movie characters although I don't recall off the top of my head which ones.

The the scare zone Field of Screams was a bit reminiscent of Children of the Corn.

• Like 4

And that's why it was their best year.

That was the one year I didn't get to attend so I can't comment either way (although I heard it was great). However, many of my favorite houses have been IPs... likewise many of my least favorite houses were originals. It's all about balance and what is important to the company IMO. 2007 was a great year. Lots of IPs. Highly creative though. TWD years however to me have been all bout money. How many people they can pack in. Yeah there were some good and even great houses... I just don't like Comcast's vision of what a haunted event should be.

Likewise this year there is several I'm jazzed about. a few I'm indifferent to, and others I really can't stand... and the song plays on.

This is what I'm tired of why I haven't been posting. It's the same conversations every year since forums were around. I'm just tired.

Will there be cool stuff? I'm sure. Will there be stuff everyone hates? Probably. Will people complain either way? You bet your sweet bippy! Is it overall worth it? Depends on each persons definition.

• Like 5

That was the one year I didn't get to attend so I can't comment either way (although I heard it was great). However, many of my favorite houses have been IPs... likewise many of my least favorite houses were originals. It's all about balance and what is important to the company IMO. 2007 was a great year. Lots of IPs. Highly creative though. TWD years however to me have been all bout money. How many people they can pack in. Yeah there were some good and even great houses... I just don't like Comcast's vision of what a haunted event should be.

Likewise this year there is several I'm jazzed about. a few I'm indifferent to, and others I really can't stand... and the song plays on.

This is what I'm tired of why I haven't been posting. It's the same conversations every year since forums were around. I'm just tired.

Will there be cool stuff? I'm sure. Will there be stuff everyone hates? Probably. Will people complain either way? You bet your sweet bippy! Is it overall worth it? Depends on each persons definition.

You missed a genuinely outstanding year!

I hear you on the IPs, I really do. Here's my issue: Going into AWIL, which is loved as a recent IP, I knew EXACTLY what to expect. There were no surprises. It was the movie. Halloween? Honestly, despite being a fanboy I knew EXACTLY what to expect.

It's methodical, planned, expected. With originals I couldn't tell you what's going to happen.

Though Universal severely needs to revamp how they do scares.

The main problem is that the event is too successful. I believe that in order to get maximum scare potential you need smaller groups and the ability to take your time in order to see every scare along the way. Because there are so many people, there is no way for that to take place. Seriously, could you even imagine how long the wait times would be for each house if groups of 2-4 were let through once every couple minutes? No one would ever get to see anything and people wouldn't return to the event.

Having security every several feet takes away from a person's ability to truly immerse themselves into what's going on as well.

Due to safety concerns, they also need a certain level of lighting as well. Nowadays people are sue happy.

I've been to a couple places where I can't believe how unsafe it actually was to walk through, but that is part of what makes it feel more believable. For instance, if you are alone in the middle of a corn field made into a maze (uneven ground with rocks) and it's pitch black outside(no lights allowed) and there are hillbilly mutants with weapons stalking you (and they can actually touch you), it becomes a little more frightening.

Another time, I remember going into a large room where there was so much fog/smoke that not only could you not see, you could barely breathe.

Then there was another place that used one of those claustrophobic squeeze tunnels. I can't remember if HHN used them, but those of you who have been to other haunts will know what I'm talking about. It's basically 2 large inflated pieces of a rubber/plastic (kinda like an inflatable raft) that they put in place side by side and you have to force your way through. Well... this place had the walls so inflated you really had to push through. The problem is once you're inside, there is no turning back if there are people behind you. All you can do is march forward and push, but sometimes people panic and they fall or start screaming and won't move because they get stuck. Being stuck between 2 walls in the pitch black can also be a little frightening to some.

Some places also enjoy separating the guys from their lady friends to add an element of fear.

HHN just can't do these things, but they do make up for a chunk of it by having very elaborate settings that most other haunts (not all) can't pull off.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

Jimmy is posting Pictures on his tumblr related to Jack, The Caretaker, The Director, the Storyteller, and The Usher on his Facebook page. All four in a row, nothing so far that I would relate to Eddie, Lady Luck, Cindy, Fear or whoever else though.

Edited by Chef

I think if they took one of the bigger SSs and made a HUGE house featuring a scene from every HHN, it would be amazing. Start off with the opening of DoT, then a scene from Psycho, People Under the Stairs, Crypt Keeper, etc. all the way through 24. Then have the ending be something like the wear house scenes of HP with stuff from every year and actors from different years and exit through some kind of arch leading you into the future of HHN. Could be billed as the new largest HHN house in history, and literally everything would be just reused props besides actually building the house so it wouldn't cost much at all. Would be a really sweet way to honor the event's legacy.

• Like 2

Okay, so I may have found something interesting relating to HHN or it may have been a coincidence, I'll post it anyway and see what you guys think.

I was on Spotify and saw that Figure released his Monsters Volume 5 on October 14th of 2014. The album cover has some very interesting characters.

http://www.pumpthebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/monster-5-artwork.jpg (Picture was too big to post)

Seeing as how Figure has had his history with HHN in Hollywood, this struck me as at least something to look into.

Any thoughts or am I seeing things that aren't there?

• Like 1