Halloween Horror Nights 25 Wishful Thinking

Legacy

Well believe what you will.

I actually... hopefully... should be very preoccupied with other things next year... If all goes well.

But honestly it is kind of a let down to know everything. Have it handed to you on a silver platter. I little text file no frills no buildup... and then you can't tell anyone. It's like King Midas' barber all over again. I'll go dig a hole in the bank of the Pactolus river and whisper it there. I would like to be surprised again.

I hear you and Im kidding with you guys. The last 2 years Ive said I wasnt going to hang around this place so Im surprised in the summer. But, alas, here I am refreshing every chance I get in hopes of something else popping up!

• Like 1

Furthermore, there more than likely will be others that will attempt to fill the void and pull people onto other websites. I like it here. I'm really hoping this doesn't happen.

I lurked in the vault close to its end, then switched to HHNRumors, then ParkRumors opened, then now I'm here. All that switching because someone was posting new information somewhere else that I had not seen before. Haven't looked at OU yet but honestly I don't want to. I like it here.

I lurked in the vault close to its end, then switched to HHNRumors, then ParkRumors opened, then now I'm here. All that switching because someone was posting new information somewhere else that I had not seen before. Haven't looked at OU yet but honestly I don't want to. I like it here.

The Vault was my favorite but this site is by far the closest any have come to it... I've looked at a few of the others and posters are fewer and less interesting...

The Vault was my favorite but this site is by far the closest any have come to it... I've looked at a few of the others and posters are fewer and less interesting...

I prefer it here because the people I have met in person are nice. I know I can't judge other forums by a few individuals, but one year (don't remember which) I was waiting to be let in to the Bill and Ted show and I was wearing my HNN shirt. Two guys next to me told me the website sucked so I asked them if they belong to (I'll redact the name) and they said it was a lot better than HNN. Personally, I view us all as fans and want to avoid some pissing contest about which site is better.

• Like 4

I dont know if I'm in the minority but I never would have found out about HHN if not for the websites. Back when I lived in Virginia the Busch Gardens over there started getting into teasing their event and one of the forum members on the local website bgwfans.com told us to check out the cool website for an Orlando event and thats when I found the Mirror and all its glory... My brother followed along the year before apparently after hearing about the big 3 but if not for that amazing website and then the awesome Universal Palace Theatre I would never have heard of HHN let alone become a die hard fan! It just saddens me that someone somewhere high up in Universal cant see that... They cant see what this event means to us...

Interesting that you say that. I've lived on the West Coast all my life and had been going to HHN Hollywood since it started in 1992. I went to all the West Coast stuff and always thought Knotts was the king of it all. I had no idea that another Universal park even existed - let alone one that had a Horror Nights.

Around 2003, we had satellite feeds instead of cable, and were able to see newscasts from both coasts. Imagine my surprise mid October when I am flipping through the channels and see a live broadcast from Halloween Horror Nights - but it's showing this weird guy with a vintage camera running around scaring people. And then they cut to an amazing commercial showing a guy in a jester hat with fish hooks in his cheeks, being forced into a grin. What the hell was this?? There was no Horror Nights anymore! It ended in 2000. Did Hollywood built it at the last minute and and I didn't know about it? I still had no idea that I was watching something from freakin Florida.

So I got online and searched and searched, and finally stumbled upon HHN Orlando. My jaw was locked in the open position for a week. I began looking at past years and was stunned that every year had completely different content. Miss a year? Too bad. And they had a "mascot" every year, too! And no stupid "Clive Barker Presents" or houses based on goddamn WWE wrestlers! Really cool. But because my twins were less than a year old, there was no way I would be able to go in 2003 to see this Director guy. But believe me, I was totally captivated by the idea of a yearly icon.

But in 2004, when I saw that website.... Man, I was hooked. 2200 miles away, and I logged in every day to see if a new file box had opened. That was my first year, and I've gone back every year since.

I found a home at the Vault (and still have a few glowing shirts). I was on the site along with everyone else on that magical night in 2008 when the HHN site went live - 1500 people madly pressing their refresh buttons in unison.

But I tell you, the loss of the anticipation from the websites along with this IP-centric "synergy" between the coasts that ramped up in a big way has sucked the fun out of this, and every year I find less and less of a reason to fly out there. I really only go to Orlando for the UTH tour and the original houses anymore, and Gothic was the last truly great original. The IP has become a game of "which coast's Walking Dead house sucks less?" And that game gets old quick.

I have really looked forward to Dr. Jimmy's "All Secrets Revealed" videos, and enjoy the clues that seem impossible to me, but amazingly simple for some on this site. But this year, man, when that cold bucket of water got thrown on us and all the houses were leaked - that sucked. The fun once again sucked away and I'm once again wondering if it's worth my time.

You know what would really be fun? And maybe I'll do it next year: purposely stay in the dark the whole freakin year - unfollow the social media for both coasts. And then have someone else buy the Orlando HHN pass for me so that when I fly out there I will have no idea of any of the houses until I pass through the gates (except Walking Dead v5.0, of course). That would be so cool.

By the way, wouldn't it be uber cool if once the WD contract expires in 2043 A&D puts on a Walken Dead house for their dark comedy house?

• Like 3

isn't the person who leaked info from OU ( not talking trash just ask)

It gets a little complicated.

Several people have, historically, gotten the line up March/April every year. Those people each do something different with it. Jimmy is the only person willing to attach his real name to the knowledge, but he makes you work for it. Others do what Cassi, the Ifrit, Emeric and now Unknown, do where they stay secret but still try to make a game (though some are better than others). Some, like Timeout (:wave: ), will let some details out knowing that most people won't listen to them.

And then others just rip open the gift and announce everything with no fanfare. Typically, and this year included, it comes from Rumors.

I really miss the old web sites, slowly building up the line up/story sigh....

Is the reason financial or lack of interest by Universal that they don't have

great interactive web sites anymore. If financial I will try to buy more beer this year.

• Like 2

I really miss the old web sites, slowly building up the line up/story sigh....

Is the reason financial or lack of interest by Universal that they don't have

great interactive web sites anymore. If financial I will try to buy more beer this year.

It's a multi-headed beast. The powers that be don't feel a large convoluted website adds value (read that as money to their pockets) like a simple site that even the most unwashed of masses can navigate and purchase tickets.

Also, they feel the leaks make it exceedingly pointless. I find this ironic though as it has be one of a very select few leaking the info. Also, the big increase in leaked info was a response to the continual decline in entertainment and interactivity with the website prior to the event. Not mention if it is GOOD leaked info, it will serve to hype the event. But when the first bit of information given is TWD and AWIL will be back, it kind of set the tone for the rest. They created the monster by providing the quality originally but they never controlled it.

Suits don't see that I'm sure. They see dollar signs not intrinsic quality. I quite frankly think those days are long gone... For better or for worse. Scratch that. I KNOW they are. At least until there is a monetary need for such things... and will there ever be? As long as Joe Schmoe continues to come out in droves to Comcast's "Halloween McHorror Nights"... it will not change.

• Like 2

It's a multi-headed beast. The powers that be don't feel a large convoluted website adds value (read that as money to their pockets) like a simple site that even the most unwashed of masses can navigate and purchase tickets.

Also, they feel the leaks make it exceedingly pointless. I find this ironic though as it has be one of a very select few leaking the info. Also, the big increase in leaked info was a response to the continual decline in entertainment and interactivity with the website prior to the event. Not mention if it is GOOD leaked info, it will serve to hype the event. But when the first bit of information given is TWD and AWIL will be back, it kind of set the tone for the rest. They created the monster by providing the quality originally but they never controlled it.

Suits don't see that I'm sure. They see dollar signs not intrinsic quality. I quite frankly think those days are long gone... For better or for worse. Scratch that. I KNOW they are. At least until there is a monetary need for such things... and will there ever be? As long as Joe Schmoe continues to come out in droves to Comcast's "Halloween McHorror Nights"... it will not change.

I have to say, the feeling of pessimism and regret permeating this forum over the last several weeks is downright depressing. For the last several years, I have looked forward to coming here and talking with all my fellow HHN fans, but now it's like a ghost town here. And if people ARE commenting, it's mostly negative stuff. It can't be all THAT bad, can it? Seriously, you guys??

Like Zombieman, I had no idea HHN even existed until my son happened to be watching the Travel Channel when they aired The Art of The Scare. That was in 2004, and I couldn't make the event until 2005. However, I still had no idea of the commercials or that there was a website or anything like that until a few years ago. I missed out on some of this awesome stuff, and it makes my heart hurt. But I am grateful for what I've been able to do and see as the years have gone by. To believe that it's on a downward spiral is something I cannot accept.

I would rather believe that even though Comcast is clearly run by a bunch narrow thinking jag offs, we can hope that some day, some one will get in there who is more of a visionary and can see the benefit of playing to the geeks. I mean look at the big money coming out of all these movies based on comic books for god's sake. When I was a kid, that stuff was just for the nerds. Only a small percentage of the kids I grew up with paid any attention to comic books and super heroes. Now look at it. Who is to say that something like Halloween Horror Nights can't learn to capitalize more on its core nerd fan base?? That's how big things grow - by feeding the passionate few who become your free advertising, who become your street preachers, screaming out your message to all who will listen? God knows, I do it all the time - not to benefit Comcast, but because I truly love the event and I want to spread the word so other people can experience what I have.

It's a proven fact that the Halloween industry grows in big numbers every year. Halloween is now the second biggest commercial holiday of the year. The dollars are in the BILLIONS. You'd think a company (like Comcast) with the ability to put on a big Halloween event like Horror Nights would amp it up as many ways as possible. It still astounds me they don't play the commercials nationwide. But that's another complaint.. Some day, some one will understand this. Maybe when Halloween officially takes the number one spot over Christmas.

Jeez.

For the record, I've very much enjoyed meeting so many of you from this forum, and I love that I have new friends because of it. Horror Night Nightmares will always be number one by me.

• Like 1

It's a proven fact that the Halloween industry grows in big numbers every year. Halloween is now the second biggest commercial holiday of the year. The dollars are in the BILLIONS. You'd think a company (like Comcast) with the ability to put on a big Halloween event like Horror Nights would amp it up as many ways as possible. It still astounds me they don't play the commercials nationwide. But that's another complaint.. Some day, some one will understand this. Maybe when Halloween officially takes the number one spot over Christmas.

The fact that Comcast offers Horror nights at every one of their parks speaks to them exploiting the holiday for all it's worth. When Hollywood is now a sell-out every single night and Orlando's numbers outstanding, wouldn't nationwide cross-advertising simply be money down the drain? Same thing for amping the event up - why plus an already sold out event? I think the only reason we are seeing house numbers increase in the American parks is to keep up with the increased capacity.

What if, (I know it's not going to happen.) But what if LT is insidious

You actually brought up a subject that still hasn't been fully exposed yet.

What do we make of the LT "Tests" last year? Were they a one-off thing? Surely LT is a big part of the later years of HHN, but I don't think they'll just put a prop in Hallow'd Past 2...

I have to say, the feeling of pessimism and regret permeating this forum over the last several weeks is downright depressing. For the last several years, I have looked forward to coming here and talking with all my fellow HHN fans, but now it's like a ghost town here. And if people ARE commenting, it's mostly negative stuff. It can't be all THAT bad, can it? Seriously, you guys??

Not Trying to be pessimistic. I actually am hopeful for the event. Not jazzed about most of the IPs but only time will tell if they turn out worthwhile. I'm just a brutally honest realist. Believe me, I want it to be the way it was. I just have it on pretty good authority that it won't happen any time soon (if ever). It's not necessarily all bad. It's just different. Unfortunately, it's different in a way I'm not thrilled about. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. I've seen this event through every incarnation. For me, it only got better until Comcast took over.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact I intensely dislike Comcast as a company. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they are the number one competitor to the company I work for. But overall there was a shift in 2010. Not all bad. But certainly not all good. Change is just change. Comcast brought Harry Potter and while it killed the nostalgic feel of the park, it is definitely and improvement.

Regardless, I keep going, hoping for the best. Every year I just feel more of the event I love is gone. If you like it great! Who am I to say what is best for the company or another person? The company owes me nothing. It just has changed for me and the net result is diminished. Ultimately, we all decide what is worth our time and our money. I feel it is still worth some time and some money. (I have 25 years invested in it.) Just probably not as much as I spend on it now. Being forced to live it day in and day out all year round is probably too much. That isn't a bad thing in my eyes. I have new endeavors on the horizon and they do include HHN. Just not in an exclusive capacity.

Anyway that's a lot of talk to say I'm hopeful it will be great I'm just curbing my enthusiasm and "keeping it real".

• Like 3

agreed. Thats "something" is gone from the atmosphere in the park. Yeah we have seen TWD way too much the past 3 years but if you look at the houses we've had since COMCAST took over (I also LOATHE that company BTW)... there have been some outstanding houses.

2011: Gothic, Dead End

2012: Cabin In The Woods, Evil Dead, American Werewolf In London

2013: Halloween, AVP

These have been come of my favorite houses ever. Now Im trying to be an optimist here. There has been a few houses that were MEH. But I would definitely like to get the feeling back from the streets where you would sit down somewhere and just listen. Find you "horror place".... nam sayin? I got a little of that in the Bayou SZ last year. Hopefully we get a little back this year too.

Had anyone heard of a Lagoon Show? HHN 16 was my fav for that. And the show from a couple years ago that showed the classics was incredible too!

• Like 1

Not Trying to be pessimistic. I actually am hopeful for the event. Not jazzed about most of the IPs but only time will tell if they turn out worthwhile. I'm just a brutally honest realist. Believe me, I want it to be the way it was. I just have it on pretty good authority that it won't happen any time soon (if ever). It's not necessarily all bad. It's just different. Unfortunately, it's different in a way I'm not thrilled about. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. I've seen this event through every incarnation. For me, it only got better until Comcast took over.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact I intensely dislike Comcast as a company. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they are the number one competitor to the company I work for. But overall there was a shift in 2010. Not all bad. But certainly not all good. Change is just change. Comcast brought Harry Potter and while it killed the nostalgic feel of the park, it is definitely and improvement.

Regardless, I keep going, hoping for the best. Every year I just feel more of the event I love is gone. If you like it great! Who am I to say what is best for the company or another person? The company owes me nothing. It just has changed for me and the net result is diminished. Ultimately, we all decide what is worth our time and our money. I feel it is still worth some time and some money. (I have 25 years invested in it.) Just probably not as much as I spend on it now. Being forced to live it day in and day out all year round is probably too much. That isn't a bad thing in my eyes. I have new endeavors on the horizon and they do include HHN. Just not in an exclusive capacity.

Anyway that's a lot of talk to say I'm hopeful it will be great I'm just curbing my enthusiasm and "keeping it real".

Well you must be happy that they failed to buy you guys!

• Like 2

Just to be clear, I'm not hating on you, JDW. I enjoy your comments and insights. It's always interesting for me to read what you have to say simply because you've been around since the beginning - plus you're articulate and an all around awesome guy. :)

I do agree with you on so many points, and I also understand the disappointment. The big reality check for me came when TWD "took over" the event. When it was first announced that the streets would be all TWD, I said, "No way! They wouldn't do that to us!" But, oh yes, yes "they" did, and it was terrible. That's when I realized what the Comcast factor did to the event. So, I get it.

But every year, I have hope. Every year, I get something I love. There may not be as much to love as there used to be, but there is always something. Plus, there are all of you - so many of my new friends - to enjoy it with. I'm counting my blessings and will have faith that A&D will give me something awesome.

• Like 4

I definitely disagree with CITW, ED, and AVP. For the rest, it's because they were genuinely passionate about it. They're creative folks limited by the corporation.

OMG, I LOVED Cabin! How could you NOT like that house? Ok, there is an ass for every seat.

Peoria, you and I share a brain. I feel the EXACT same way about the streets. Some of the most fun we've had at HHN was finding a bench near one of the most active scarezones, and just sitting there watching people get the shit scared out of them. Nothing better than hangin in the fog and watching these awesome actors do their thing. Talk about atmosphere.. I probably stood near the front of Grown Evil for hours just to watch.. there hasn't been a scarezone that good since (IMO).

• Like 2

OMG, I LOVED Cabin! How could you NOT like that house? Ok, there is an ass for every seat.

Peoria, you and I share a brain. I feel the EXACT same way about the streets. Some of the most fun we've had at HHN was finding a bench near one of the most active scarezones, and just sitting there watching people get the shit scared out of them. Nothing better than hangin in the fog and watching these awesome actors do their thing. Talk about atmosphere.. I probably stood near the front of Grown Evil for hours just to watch.. there hasn't been a scarezone that good since (IMO).

I spent so much time on a bench watching 7 in action that one of the scareactors came over to ask me how their cast compared to the other.

Also, my favorite scarezone memory happened in 7 while I was sitting on the bench. A father was walking by on the sidewalk with his two 10-ish year old kids who looked petrified. One of the chainsaw actors revved the saw and ran at them without ever getting up onto the sidewalk and the children cowered back in fear. Aas the actor followed along beside them revving his saw the father proceeded to yell at the actor that "Sidewalks are the safe zone, you are not allowed up here!" . The actor put his foot up onto the sidewalk, smiled, and revved the saw one final time as the kids ran out of the area.

Edit: I also spent a lot of time watching Maskerade last year and when they got going they were phenomenal. I love zone-watching so much.

Edited by Cooger and Dark
  • Like 2

Cabin in the Woods was far and away my favorite house that year, also one of my favorite houses ever

That was the first house inside the gates that year. My wife and I hit it first. We got done and were like WHOA! I told her.... "that was an all out assault of a maze! How are the rest going to hold up????" We did a behind the scenes tour of that house and got a great pic of the 2 of us in teh elevator room. So awesome!

• Like 1