Halloween Horror Nights 25 Wishful Thinking

Legacy

There are the "casual fans" or fans who are coming because of a specific property who will ride the rides.

Such as? I ask cause I'm interested. Which gimmicks would you not want to see?

Alone style house? Skeleton key concept? Laser tag? Those are the gimmicks that come to mind.

Those, yes. Plus virtual haunts.

I'll admit, I think a solo/extreme house could work at Uni, but I would want it to be more story-heavy and immersive (solving puzzles, interacting with actors, overwhelming dread) rather than gratuitous and extreme just for the sake of extreme.

As far as what I want to see Universal DO? A full week of rehearsals in each house, and fewer e-proms. HHN has become a formulaic, fast-food haunt where actual talent is irrelevant to the point where a head on a pneumatic arm can do the job in 80% of the boo-holes. Actor freedom, actual auditions, directors spending time to finesse scares, those sorts of things will create a marked improvement.

• Like 2

Im with Jeff, HHN needs to train these SA more then just 3 days.

Also make the audition progress more then just body types.. Let these people show they have TALENTED. Go on YT and look up how Knotts does auditions and your head might exploded.

Also UO needs new scare tacts

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more with Charles and others who think that something needs to be done with auditions and training. It seems that the audition process in recent years has become more and more lenient. A lot of great talent is over looked due to the current process used by Universal. Other parks such as Knotts have a strenuous audition process that really puts people through tests to make sure they have what it takes to be a scareactor. I would love to see Horror Nighs use a similar process to seperate "the men from the boys" so to say. I feel that this could really help to put actors in the right roles and cast actors that truly have talent but haven't been able to scare because of the current process.

I couldn't agree more with Charles and others who think that something needs to be done with auditions and training. It seems that the audition process in recent years has become more and more lenient. A lot of great talent is over looked due to the current process used by Universal. Other parks such as Knotts have a strenuous audition process that really puts people through tests to make sure they have what it takes to be a scareactor. I would love to see Horror Nighs use a similar process to seperate "the men from the boys" so to say. I feel that this could really help to put actors in the right roles and cast actors that truly have talent but haven't been able to scare because of the current process.

Knotts ? Lol Half of their scare actors just linger throughout the maze, staring at guest and not even attempting to scare.

• Like 1

I'd like for the scareactors to make me feel uncomfortable. They all keep their distance from you. I want people to touch me other than accidentally having their costume brush up against me. people need to scream in my ears. Scareactors need to chase people and team up with others for a scare. Go into stores and enter bathrooms.

some of these sound like lawsuits, but by purchasing a ticket you agree to a contract printed on the ticket itself. I also understand that those rules are more for the protection of the actors than the customers.

I'd like fewer static set pieces and more things that move, to make it look less like a still life photo. pneumatic guns like War of the Living Dead in 2009. I liked the idea of Nightmaze, but I can't tell you exactly why it didn't click for me.

I liked the idea of Nightmaze, but I can't tell you exactly why it didn't click for me.

Because the actors spent more time moving the set around than actually scaring the guests walking through. If they had separate people moving the maze and have scareactors actually scare then I could see it work. I felt the same way you did on this.

• Like 1

I'd like for the scareactors to make me feel uncomfortable. They all keep their distance from you. I want people to touch me other than accidentally having their costume brush up against me.

And that's where you can blame sue-happy America.

I couldn't agree more with you though. The actors need to get closer and more personal. Seriously, MAKE IT A HAUNT!

Edited by JackTheREAPER
  • Like 1

Last year was my first HHN ever. I enjoyed the event, and went a bunch of times. Though, I felt that the scare zones weren't scary. Purge got me a few times, and Bayou got me too. But Maskerade and Face off was just meh. I would like them to be more involved next year, with more scares and better scares.

What I've noticed these past few years is that there are to types of street experiences. There are scary Showzones where scaring people comes third after putting on a good show and proving they're a character or presenting themselves to promote a certain look. The second one is an actual Scarezone where the props and setpieces tell most of the story, and that leaves the actors to focus on scaring.

I like the concept of what Face-off and 7 were trying to accomplish. The execution was lacking on 7 and they got a little better for Face-off. But they need to be more aggressive towards the people taking pictures. Take people's cameras and phones, photobomb them to get the scare, surround the people taking pictures so when they turn around they will get a spook. I just saw actors appearing and yelling behind clouds of fog and whispering in people's ears taking pictures.

• Like 1

I wanna see a zone with a lot of elements of some great past zones like Acid Assault had. I liked the way that the whole Acid Assault zone was set up for a story. I liked how the actors looked, they really fit the zone. I loved how they had the projection on the building, to make it look like it was crumbling. And I really loved the overall atmosphere. It was apocalyptic, chaotic, and scary all at once. That's what I wanna see return for HHN25: zones like that, where you get a storyline AND an amazing vibe with scary surroundings and visuals. And not just one. Like HHN24 where Bayou was the most scenic, I want to see all of this year's zones to be as detailed and scary as possible. And with the actors, I agree with Iheartwhales about the Face Off actors. I want to see the actors in every zone getting as effectively scary as possible. I know Acid Assault didn't appeal to many people, but I thought it was well done and perfect for a real haunt vibe. An idea I had was like a Warzone, similar to War Of The Living Dead. It sets for a great atmosphere with many possibilities. This is just my opinion, what are you guys' thoughts on this?

Edited by JackTheREAPER

My biggest wish is to add live music to the event, specifically in a scarezone exactly like The Purge. Find a way to fit it into the story of a dystopian society, and hire actors who are musicians to play heavy metal in the middle of NY, instead of just having a couple metal tracks play in the background. It would raise the energy level 10000x, imo.

• Like 2

I've been calling this as the Horror Homecoming since 2012, either an Icon scare zone in the front of the park or spread out the various Icons to give them their own specific scare zones throughout the whole park. That way we could focus the house lineup on new concepts, sequels to old favorites, old houses brought back to life with a new twist, scare zones turned into houses & a few IP's to satisfy the GP & the diehards.

& a few IP's to satisfy the GP & the diehards.

Yes, because a smart point that has been is they only REALLY need 2 IPs to draw in crowds. For HHN24, there were 5 IPs but only 3 were bringing in the fan crowds. (TWD, AVP, Halloween)

All we need is 2 big fan-based IPs to draw in crowds. Example: The Walking Dead and American Horror story. If we don't get one of those 2 our next option is Freddy Vs Jason, which has been brought up. Anyways, my point being, give us loads of originals to celebrate the anniversary AND introduce the awesome icons and content of HHN past to the newer crowds and fans, and just to make more money, add 2 big IPs and VOILA!

I could see them doing a part giggles and gore scare zone this year for jack the clown or jack giggles and gore part 2 or something.

That's something I brought up a while back. It would be cool if the factory rebuilt Jack and he ended up taking over the Giggles N Gore factory and the clowns went onto the streets to bring more victims or something. I guess you could say the factory was "Hi-Jacked". lol