Halloween Horror Nights 24 Speculation

Here's an interesting thought: would they keep Hogwart's Express open if this were to happen?

Even if it was two parks, wouldn't keeping the Express open create one heck of a choke point? Plus given the amount of alcohol consumed at HHN, I don't know if you would want that many drunks on it.

• Like 1

Even if it was two parks, wouldn't keeping the Express open create one heck of a choke point? Plus given the amount of alcohol consumed at HHN, I don't know if you would want that many drunks on it.

The drunks would not really matter on that one (heck The Mummy, HRRR, and Transformers are all very active rides) and I am not sure if it would create a choke point. It would not really effect the studio side of things and it may have an impact on IOA but I guess that all depends upon the queue capacity and start point of the Hogwart's Express in that park. Also, if they did have walkthrough scarezones in the vein of Field of Screams and Fright Yard, I have to imagine less people would be inclined to go on HE thus making it another attraction eating up people, shortening house lines, and adding to park capacity.

Edited by Cooger and Dark

I just don't see where they could put the access points to Islands anymore. Not that I have the backstage blueprints sitting in front of me or anything. I'm sure they could figure it out if they wanted to... and I want them too. I miss HHN at IOA.

The train is meant to move a lot of people though. If it's meant to move the Potter crowd and park hoppers on a daily basis, it can't be that hard to accomodate the HHN crowd. In my limited understanding of Universal's current backstage area I would forsee the train being sole transport between the parks... which actually would be kind of cool if they could tailor it to HHN... peobably couldn't though. IDK what the limitations on HP are for modifying the areas.

Ultimately the train as connection makes more sense as the main complaints with HHN 14 was the walking and dead space. Not having back stage paths limits dead space, moves scarezones to a more evenly distributed proportion around the parks, and reduces walk time. So... hopeful? Yeah I'm not holding my breath. It just seems the two biggest complaints are the lack of an icon and not being at IOA in some fashion. both now seem like easy fixes.

I do find it funny though, I remember the discussion about how messy the flow would be for HHN 16 when it moved back to the studios. In reality it probably was a better move. Proves we can postulate all we want about what we think is the best move but ultimately those holding the blueprints have a better educated guess most of the time.

• Like 1

My Predictions, thus far:

1. We WILL see Walking Dead return this year, but only as a house.

2. An actual Icon.

3. Nightingales Sequel

4. The Purge scarezone.

That is all for now, more to come in the future. ;)

Sounds about right. Can I quote you on that? lol

And I assume Purge will take place in Hollywood as a "Featured Zone" and it's true to the location of the movie? So, there we go people. Zones are back.

And American Werewolf will be in London, one would hope.

I've postulated dozens of ways for a two-park system to "work" with the current state of the park (RRR and the stage blocking the main thoroughfare), and I'll admit the theory and reality of them don't chive at all. There is no effective "loop" in the back stage anymore, not without blocking access to Blue Man or losing all the queue space between the sound-stages. I want it to be done, but the crowd-control and walking would be potentially worse than 2014.

And people are assuming that Diagon Alley will be open, forgetting that it has been explicitly designed with an ability to be closed off from the rest of the park. WWoHP is rented out for corporate events that are a plus financially to the park even when HHN is ongoing. I would not expect it to be open this year, and potentially next year. They make more money by closing it off and renting it out.

• Like 1

My Predictions, thus far:

1. We WILL see Walking Dead return this year, but only as a house.

2. An actual Icon.

3. Nightingales Sequel

4. The Purge scarezone.

That is all for now, more to come in the future. ;)

Yep rinse wash repeat.

I really think a paradigm shift is in order. Yay scarezone. But walking dead is a terrible franchise, The purge wasn't even that good.

to semi-quote Jack Nicholson: "This event needs an enema"

I agree from what I hear it is a mess back there to attempt logistcally. But now there s a direct route so at least there is a glimmer of hope sometime in the future. Like I said not holding my breath.

Plus, as of now, the train isn't incredibly high capacity. If they keep it 8 to a car with 2-3 families sharing a car, the capacities a little over 1500 an hour, according to Hatetofly on OU/Twitter. They're considering using standing room like in a Disney Monorail and make it 12-16 people a car to bump up that number, but that would take from the experience. A 1500-1600 an hour capacity train used as the sole transport method to move people from park to park would not work. You'd have to wait far too long just to go between the two.

I don't see TWD coming back, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. It'd really piss me off though, because there hasn't been much this season to expand upon. Plus, it's a horrible season.

The other 3 I 100% agree with and would throw in AWIL in London and Insidious as two big possibilities. AHS has some ground, but if they have the same problems as last year it's not going to happen.

Here's the deal. The closest thing we have for a HatetoFly on these boards is Timeout. If he says TWD is coming back, I believe it. He started getting his information leading up to 2011 and he hasn't been wrong that I've seen.

So, in my mind we have two houses and a scarezone.

The Walking Dead
Nightingales 2

Purge: Anarchy

• Like 2

Oh. Well in that case, ENOUGH WITH THE GODDAMN WALKING DEAD. Last year's house was very good, yes, but it still wasn't great because it's still just zombies in a prison. It's a boring concept and there was a zombie overload last year. Enough with the zombies. They're very tiring and boring. Not to mention, TWD this season is absolutely horrible. (The whole franchise sucks, but this season's on a whole new level.)

And i don't care much about a Purge SZ. They can make one I won't care. If, for some reason, RE comes back, I'd love a scarezone in NY.

• Like 1

I'll say this, because the Purge being a scarezone catches my attention. We haven't had IP focused streets (outside of TWD, but do we want that to count?), but it looks certain we'll have one this year. We also have areas/props that allow for IP scarezones with little overhead. So...

Hollywood - The Purge (Plainclothes with masks)

New York - Resident Evil (Reusing costumes/props)

London - American Werewolf in London (Reusing costumes/props/puppets
Central Park - Predator (Cause why the hell not? It would be awesome.) (Actually, I can't think of any decent jungle-movie horror films off the top of my head).

Mel's - My gut says this will be an Icon zone, similar to HHN XX.
Krustyland - (God, I hate saying this) Killer Klowns from Outer Space (Reusing Treaks/Foons costumes and repainting masks)

^ With the rumors of a icon, I wouldn't bank on every street being IP focused. I'll certainly agree there will be IP streets, but not all of them.

As for more TWD, there was no doubt whatsoever that they're gonna' milk this thing dry, so it's no surprise there's rumors of another house. One can complain all they want about it, but until this IP has been milked dry or ain't being as big of a pull, it's not going away.

I'll say this, because the Purge being a scarezone catches my attention. We haven't had IP focused streets (outside of TWD, but do we want that to count?), but it looks certain we'll have one this year. We also have areas/props that allow for IP scarezones with little overhead. So...

Hollywood - The Purge (Plainclothes with masks)

New York - Resident Evil (Reusing costumes/props)

London - American Werewolf in London (Reusing costumes/props/puppets

Central Park - Predator (Cause why the hell not? It would be awesome.) (Actually, I can't think of any decent jungle-movie horror films off the top of my head).

Mel's - My gut says this will be an Icon zone, similar to HHN XX.

Krustyland - (God, I hate saying this) Killer Klowns from Outer Space (Reusing Treaks/Foons costumes and repainting masks)

All but Perdator makes a whole lot of sense. They all fit and are all IPs they'd use/want to use. RE wouldn't cost much, AWIL would almost cost nothing, Purge isn't much, KKFOS Aiello's wanted to use for a long time and I still see it being a house. Maybe a SZ in Krustyland and the house in sprung 2. Then the icon zone could be either the front entrance or Mel's. As for CP, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a TWD zone.

Ugh. I love the ideas of Nightingales 2, having an Icon, and even Scarezones returning...But my god do we have to have another year of the walking dead?!?!? This season has sucked big time! There is nothing interesting or new about this season at all!! I feel like having it would be a waste of a house considering it would pretty much be last years house all over again. Im tired of seeing the same old zombie masks reused since 2012...Last year was an overkill.

And has anybody noticed that TWD is really repetitive? I mean they start out in one place then they must leave and search for a new place oncethey settle there they have to leave and find another new place to live...TWD is boring.

Edited by hhnFEARfan

I would love a 'real life' horror house. Base an icon or a house/SZ off of a real life case in true crime, maybe a serial killer or something. The fact that it happened (or is based off of a true event) could make it all the more terrifying for some.

I said this in a different forum, but here it is again:

HHN could pull off an intense real-life-horror, like a gang of crazy murderers taking over a generic haunted house attraction. But there are limits. A school shooting house would be absolutely terrifying, but in very bad taste and UNI would get heaps of bad press.

Edited by Mrevio

I always said if they were going to do a Nightingales sequel they should do it in the Disaster que and based the story off the San Francisco earthquake of 1906.

They could finally bring back the attraction turning into a house concept. Have you go through the Earthquake ride and then exit the train at the maintenance bay and continue through a house where The Nightingales pick off the survivors of the massive earthquake.

The capacity of the trains should be good enough to get people to the house though it would have to be a two park event (cutting out the right side of the park) so that the queue could fill in the rest of San Fransisco starting at the Disaster entrance.

Ugh. I love the ideas of Nightingales 2, having an Icon, and even Scarezones returning...But my god do we have to have another year of the walking dead?!?!? This season has sucked big time! There is nothing interesting or new about this season at all!! I feel like having it would be a waste of a house considering it would pretty much be last years house all over again. Im tired of seeing the same old zombie masks reused since 2012...Last year was an overkill.

And has anybody noticed that TWD is really repetitive? I mean they start out in one place then they must leave and search for a new place oncethey settle there they have to leave and find another new place to live...TWD is boring.

12.1 million viewers can't be wrong right?.... Right!?! ^_^

It is boring and repetitive (and in my case I completely cannot suspend the disbelief)... but that is to you and me (and some others). But contracts are contracts and money is money. I don't KNOW that a three year contract was involved in TWD being at Universal... But it's almost a no-brainer. Like it or not it is very popular and has brought a ton of new people to the event. Which is exactly the main (and probably only) goal of the event now. Mission accomplished and I expect the trend to continue. AHS makes sense in the "make tons of money no matter if you kill the fan base" business model. It is MORE horror than TWD and has a big fan base. Exploit the crud out of it.

Next I expect them to cut a deal with GOT/Black Sails/True Blood, etc., heck They are as much horror as TWD is (which is to say practically zero) but TB and GOT have a ton of rabid fans... and I'm sure they could make GOT scary... or and least pass it off as scary long enough to draw the fans... Then they can sell GOT/Universal tshirts and other assorted junk.

The video game trend I think they see as a huge sucess. I see no reason for it to stop either. Rumblings of a Dead Space house make very valid points... and to me would be welcomed with open arms. But BioShock, Last of Us, Amneisia, and a ton of other games are viable options. It's a relativly untapped market and I've always said games have exceeded most movies in creative and interesting stories in the last decade or so. Plus they can bring more merchandise in that, as they've shown, doesn't even have to be Universal/HHN related. win Win for both sides.

IP's do the exact same thing.

Once you look at the event less from an artistic mindset and more form of a corporate executive mindset, it becomes very easy to predict what will be done. The Purge?... of course. Just insert whatever is popular in movies,TV, video games, or music and will bring in the most crowds and sell the most merchandise. Then simply solve for Y.

My only bastion of hope for the event is that there are creativte types still involved in making it. But even their creative influnce in original content of late has been pushed back to one new house, rehashing Hollywood's ideas, and rehashing past successes.

I know this probably comes off a bit negative but I'm just calling it like I see it. I liked most of the houses last year... At the same time I knew it would become the formula. As a creative type myself, I feel it kills my excitement of the event. there is no mystery to ponder or things to contemplate anymore. It's a plug in chug model that, for the most part, kills all interest in speculation I have. I know I live in the glory days of the "iconic" years. But the speculation and pondering of the new ideas (or at least fresh takes on old ideas) was what made it fun for me. I don't find "Which IP's will the use this year" fun to speculate and, more importantly, I know that corporate executives do not care that I feel that way.

• Like 2

True Blood is in its final season, so it's no longer viable (especially because it doesn't air in October). Trust me. Heart-breaker. I would kill for a True Blood house.

Game of Thrones will likely be serviced better by an homage house. WHY we haven't had "ice zombies" yet, I don't know... but that feels like it should be a given at this point.

On the video game front, Irrational Games is basically shuttered and the Bioshock series is potentially dead. Don't know if Universal would bother with the licensing on that when they can co-opt the Art Deco and lots of water to homage Rapture. Dead Space and Last of Us feel likely, but Last of Us is a console exclusive which could temper some corporate excitement over that specific franchise.

You're right though, speculation is dead. At this point the only interest in the dead season is wrapped in specifics (what will be the original house? Where will Nightingale's be this time? What scenes will they use from this show?) We can't even speculate queues anymore sense the park is so locked in now.

I didn't know the specifics on all those but I understand what you're saying. Money talks though. I mean how well recieved was the last Silent Hill or Resident Evil? The legacy drives the popularity and that drives profits. It's all about maximizing profits. Bioshock has a huge following and I think Dead space does as well to a degree. I don't know the ends and outs on all these contracts and what it would this that or the other so I can't make an educated guess as to which is more viable. That's why the upper management wouldn't care if the original house is "underwater Deco art in antique diving suits" or "thing like creatures on a spaceship"... beecause they can't market it as Bioshock or Dead Space... which seems to be the entire point driving house decisions. If they do it the "original knockoff" route I'd assume it would be alloted to what seems the one "original idea" house for the year.

My only real point here was that we used to get excited about each thing that was being revealed and then pontificate and ponder what cool idea was next and how it would all tie together rather than, what we do now, which is basically just checking the box next to the next IP that is revealed and then guess which of the remaining IP will be revealed next.

I guess you could say LT and PS where the surrogate to that... but that was more aggrivating than anything. I gave up on the games and the story because it just didn't make any logical sense. Also, where is that year round game? Where are the cool stories and neat ideas? They just aren't there. At Horror Extreme it seemed we got promised a lot and honestly I was excited to see how it would unfold. Unfortunately in unfolded like the havoc reboot... a train wreck. I got so agitated with the whole thing I flipped the proverbial desk on my involvement and just walked away.

Are the IPs already figured out? I know TWD is (duh) and The Purge will be a scarezone.

They are not completely figured out (and the ones that are could change last minute) but we do have some ideas beyond what you have said.

I believe the point JDW is making is that what we do now is say, "What IP could they use this year?" as opposed to saying, "What concepts are they going to use this year?" In that sense, I agree that we are not really linking clues they provide to concepts as we are movies, which is much easier to do.