Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

JDW

Still, a majority WD experience is so lazy.

I mean this in the kindest way possible, but get over yourself.

I don't think you understand the design process and scope of bringing such a mammoth production to fruition, even with a Walking Dead template to work off of. Just wait till the event is running and then make your judgment.

• Like 4

One of the masterminds behind Horror Nights very eloquently posted this via FB on one of our member's status, and with his permission, here it is:

HHN is a part of pop culture. Look at any movie site/forum there are positive and negative comments made about everything it's the nature of this social life now and forever. It is accepted and appreciated either way! I'd prefer this talk to no talk at all!! It means people care.

Now are there some chickens being counted... Yes absolutely! That too is the nature of things and understandable and completely predictable...

But here's the thing... It's what we know and you / they don't... There are some unique things planned for this walking dead street experience... Some which harken back to some tricks we've implemented in scarezones of the past. In gonna hopefully reveal some details officially soon.

I (we) take it in stride, stay the course and move forward and set out to give everyone the best experience we can possible create with what we have in mind and what we are given to work with. HHN 23 is gonna be awesome! Cabin! Evil Dead! Walking Dead! Rocky is back!! And we aren't done yet!!

So have some faith folks. Untwist your knickers.

• Like 6

My parents live in Vero Beach. My mom just called and said the local news was at Uni talking to someone about HHN. Then my mom says "Are you excited about the American Werewolf in London stuff"? I guess either the news anchor or the Uni rep specifically mentioned it. I think someone might have slipped up. Maybe. No clue what station or anything. I'll look around and see if it gets posted to a stations website. I'll call my mom later and she if she remembers what station.... She's at Zumba class now! LOL!
Ok she said she is pretty sure it was WPBF 25 an ABC affiliate. Maybe they will put it on their website.... http://m.wpbf.com/

Also, just another quick tidbit. This also closes the discussions on other zones being present, at least from what I'm getting from it. I'm confident it's going to be a great year.

Yes the street program is Walking Dead. Yes it will be awesome.. This isn't just hordes roaming around the park... It's set pieces... Featured walkers, Hershel's barn, the camp, a friggin tank!! Yes this is different than of years past. I know. We know. Is it original content in the streets, no. But what is original is how we will bring it to life. That is mode we are in now...for this idea. Is there original content this year in mazes... You bet your ass... Pardon my use of language ... Ha!

Last Time I checked Street Experiences and Scarezones are two completely different things... They introduced the Street Experiences (roaming Scaractors) last year and have introduced TWD as the street experiences... Nobody hasn't said that they weren't doing the Scarezones, at least nobody I know...

Actually, the street experiences kind of came in 07 and it failed, then they brought it back last year in a much more fleshed out fashion. Anyways, sure it can be cool. I bet it will be neat. But, it's still all Walking Dead, and with that, I still have zero interest, cus ya know, not everyone likes that show. It'd be cool to see Andrea ripped to pieces somewhere because she's so god damn annoying!

There are set zones and while I can't be 100% I'm saying with some certainty there is more than zombies in the streets. They have a few tricks left up their sleeves. ;)

I'll admit I reacted poorly to the news. I do not like TWD much. I don't care for Romero zombies, I didn't like the house last year, and I didn't like the horde... I still had a great time. Even if all the streets suck, still better than the non-existent streets of '07. We still have a decent house line-up, some set scare zone areas, the games, LT, and 8 houses back. So there is a lot of positive working there.

'07 was my absolute worst year in 22 years... I still have a pretty good time.

But that is just it. It's just an event. It's just something to go have a good time at.

This is my last year as an active participant in the community and I'm not going to hate on something I haven't seen yet.

If indeed I actually do get to go (I hope at least once) I'm going to go and have a good time. If it sucks I'll call a spade a spade but no year has really let me down completely. Until that happens I won't fret.

Anyway, my summation of yesterday:

2cpc977.png

• Like 7

Just saw Orlando attractions magazine on Fox News, they were talking about walking dead and did mention RE, AWIL, and HAVOK 2. So it does looks likes a hole TWD street expernece will happen. Kinda hopeing the throw in some secret kind of scarezone somewhere in the park.

• Like 1

Loooooong time lurker, but I have to chime in... I'm from out-of-state and have come every year since '05. Last year, I brought newbees, and no offense to the actors (who are always pretty awesome), I was completely embarrassed by the streets. I told them how great they were in the past and how you could walk through multiple times. And while I knew there were no defined streets, I thought there would be something... It was horrible in my opinion. You can only watch the "hordes" so many times and that was hit or miss if you even saw them. I used to be able to sit on a bench and watch the scare zones and people's reactions for a good, long while. Sorry, but thank goodness HOS is having scare zones this year (albeit only three), so at least I'll be able to show them a little of what the streets used to be at HHN Orlando. I go to Hollywood HHN too, and sad to say, even though they have fewer houses, at this rate they're going to outdo Orlando very soon. I write all this only in hopes that someone, somewhere reading has the influence to correct the event (of course it's too late this year). HHN Orlando is slowly becoming an every couple of years event like HOS used to be. Please don't be angry and slam me, but I'm looking more forward to HOS and Hollywood this year and I'm a HHN Orlando fanatic.

Of course I'll give it a chance. It might be great. But odds are I'll go through each house with Express then either wait in 2 hour lines to repeat or (more likely) leave early. I'm really disappointed in this news. I hope I'm really, really wrong.

• Like 2

so you've been correct on all of them so far Legacy....so if you remain correct then RE is the next one to be announced...is that right?

My gut says yes. It's the only IP that could "make up" for the negative reaction yesterday brought.

• Like 3

Last year with the hordes they had the problem of the streets looking empty. They didn't have enough people working the streets and they had to call extras to fill the streets later on (The people in the clownish masks and the new zombies)

I wonder how they are going to fix this for WD? would they have more actors working as zombies? That's one thing that people complained about last year, So it makes me wonder since it will All be WD, how will they do it this time around.

I'm just really hoping that we get survivors to counteract the Walkers. It doesn't have to be characters from the show if AMC didn't want to license the characters out, survivors in general. What made the house last year bomb for me was the lack of a foil. It was just Walkers with nothing to do. A few survivors trying to fight back or being attacked by Walkers would've given the house the intensity of the show that the house was severely lacking.

It would be amazing if we saw Michonne with her pets, or Merle walking around a SZ taunting people, though.

• Like 2

My gut says yes. It's the only IP that could "make up" for the negative reaction yesterday brought.
Alright.......and the negative reaction from yesterday...I don't get it!!! I'm stoked about EVERYTHING I've heard so far I mean it could be worse!!!! I am a HUGE Walking Dead fan, loved Evil Dead, not gonna lie didn't care for Cabin in The Woods (the movie), but hey RE, AWIL... dude I think the complaining needs to stop...myself personally! ;) I'm going regardless and if any of these people have ever been to the little local rinky-dink haunted attractions...well then they should appreciate what we do get!!! That's all I'm saying!!!! Universal you have my total backing and support!!!!!
  • Like 2

Alright.......and the negative reaction from yesterday...I don't get it!!! I'm stoked about EVERYTHING I've heard so far I mean it could be worse!!!! I am a HUGE Walking Dead fan, loved Evil Dead, not gonna lie didn't care for Cabin in The Woods (the movie), but hey RE, AWIL... dude I think the complaining needs to stop...myself personally! ;) I'm going regardless and if any of these people have ever been to the little local rinky-dink haunted attractions...well then they should appreciate what we do get!!! That's all I'm saying!!!! Universal you have my total backing and support!!!!!

No offense, but have you been to local haunts lately. You could do a short tour of the Dallas/Fort Worth area and see more permanent local haunts, three times as long and with more detail. Don't get me wrong, I love HHN and will always go too, but Universal needs to realize that there is more and more competition. The streets tie the houses together adding to one stop shopping. But they've really dropped the ball lately. Unless you want to get "wasted", if you live in any big city, you can drive to more haunts with better sets and much longer mazes. Before you flame me, please realize, I like you, LOVE HHN! But there's no denying it has gotten progressively worse. I offer disappointment only because I want Universal to "fix" it. Yes, the crowds are bigger. But also, take a look at them. I'm not quite sure it's the demographic Universal wants. This same problem happenend to Knott's Berry Farm's Halloween Haunt. I critisize only because I don't want to lose something I love.

*And by demographic I mean younger punks and drunks. Typically with less money to spend than tourists.

Edited by jek
  • Like 1

No offense, but have you been to local haunts lately. You could do a short tour of the Dallas/Fort Worth area and see more permanent local haunts, three times as long and with more detail. Don't get me wrong, I love HHN and will always go too, but Universal needs to realize that there is more and more competition. The streets tie the houses together adding to one stop shopping. But they've really dropped the ball lately. Unless you want to get "wasted", if you live in any big city, you can drive to more haunts with better sets and much longer mazes. Before you flame me, please realize, I like you, LOVE HHN! But there's no denying it has gotten progressively worse. I offer disappointment only because I want Universal to "fix" it. Yes, the crowds are bigger. But also, take a look at them. I'm not quite sure it's the demographic Universal wants. This same problem happenend to Knott's Berry Farm's Halloween Haunt. I critisize only because I don't want to lose something I love. *And by demographic I mean younger punks and drunks. Typically with less money to spend than tourists.
I agree we too hate the drunks and punks. We live in a small town with literally one stop light so for us we don't have much to chose from as far as haunts go. I can see what you're saying for the bigger cities but for po-dunks like us....HHN has been the best thing since sliced bread. I love being able to recognize things from TV and Movies at HHN due to the fact thats all I do for the most part. As far as the streets go.....I may stand alone but as long as I get scared I could care less about theme and such. My only goal when going to HHN is to get the bejesus scared out of me. We really don't do rides it's all about the scares. We make frequent trips down for the parks...rides.

While I'm a fan of the Walking Dead show, I'm not excited by what we've heard so far. I'm not really excited for this year at all, actually. I know they will do the best they can with what they've got to work with, and I know they probably didn't have much choice in the matter, but nothing for this year really has me feeling like "I can't wait to see that!" which is unfortunate. There just isn't a lot I'm interested in.

Of course I'll still go,and I'll hope to be amazed and change my mind because everything was so great. But, I was hoping for that last year, and last year was the first time I skipped a night at HHN in my 7 years of attending, even though I had admission, and had traveled to Orlando specifically to go. Nothing last year made me feel like I had to be there or I was missing something. The only thing I did miss were the unmanageable crowds and I was definitely fine with that. And there was originally more I was interested in seeing last year than this year.

I'll reserve final judgment until after attending, but I'm missing the excitement and anticipation this event used to bring to my summer. :(

Edited by Neko
  • Like 1

I don't even see them announcing AWIL separately from the full website reveal honestly, unless they're announcing all 8 houses separately this time. But if they do it like last year, i think they'll announce RE, wait a few weeks, then put up the full site (and NOT a Facbook post this time hopefully <_<) with AWIL, HAVOC 2, La Llorona, and whatever the original will be called.

And to people who are wondering if we're sharing anything else with Hollywood, John Murdy said on Twitter that TWD was the last house we'll be sharing, so they won't be getting AWIL,RE, or La Llorona.

I was at first taken back by the street experience being all TWD, but i think it will actually be pretty damn good if executed right. The horde in front of the house was way more enjoyable than the actual house, imo, and if they have actual sets like the barn, the camp, and A TANK, it'll be really cool. It's not like all the houses will be TWD. They'd never be able to sell that off. A unified street experience could make the whole park feel like you're being immersed into one big world invaded by zombies. I've shaken my initial judgement on it and am excited to see how A&D pulls it off.

• Like 1