Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

JDW

Any thoughts on how the event will be marketed this year? Universal seems like they're going all in on TWD, giving it one of the best house locations and 100% of the street experience. Its smaller presence last year resulted in it getting top billing on just about everything. Since so much of the 2014 event will be invested in TWD's popularity, it kind of has to headline in all the ad campaigns. But should it? It's probably not a good thing if the first words to pop into a potential guest's head after watching the commercial are "Walking Dead again?" Advertising something that people have already seen just a year prior seems like a bad method of convincing them to come again.
Maybe I'm underestimating the popularity of the show, but it does seem like Universal would have to lead with something fresh.

Really wanted to go this year, seeing as it's my last in Orlando, but I don't want Universal to think that me spending my dollars on their event means I want to see more houses based on other IPs. Hopefully early reviews will be positive at least.

• Like 1

I'v been lurking around the forums seeing a lot of talk about TWD, CitW, ED, and ice cream :D, ect. We know every year there is a "comical" house but it seems no one has taken that into consideration. It's looking like there will be only one original house, the LT house. Unless the A&D make Havoc 2 or La Llorana a comical house (which i highly doubt) it looks like from all of out speculations we left out this comical house! Don't forget Dr. Jimmys April fools RIPD House prediction!

I'v been lurking around the forums seeing a lot of talk about TWD, CitW, ED, and ice cream :D, ect. We know every year there is a "comical" house but it seems no one has taken that into consideration. It's looking like there will be only one original house, the LT house. Unless the A&D make Havoc 2 or La Llorana a comical house (which i highly doubt) it looks like from all of out speculations we left out this comical house! Don't forget Dr. Jimmys April fools RIPD House prediction!

Sounds like AWIL to me.

I was at first taken back by the street experience being all TWD, but i think it will actually be pretty damn good if executed right. The horde in front of the house was way more enjoyable than the actual house, imo, and if they have actual sets like the barn, the camp, and A TANK, it'll be really cool. It's not like all the houses will be TWD. They'd never be able to sell that off. A unified street experience could make the whole park feel like you're being immersed into one big world invaded by zombies. I've shaken my initial judgement on it and am excited to see how A&D pulls it off.

well, not all houses will be TWD, but almost half the houses will have actors looking like zombies in them.

Walking Dead and Resident Evil are zombie houses (I Know Resident evil has human characters they might use and mosters, They might use Nemesis maybe) But Resident Evil is mostly known for their zombies. (Just look at the movies, the movies barely have any monsters in them) We might get some monsters but making zombies is a lot easier and cheaper for Uni.

Then you have Evil Dead which, if you think about it, they already kind of look like zombies. (I know they are not zombies, but based on looks alone they kind of look like them a little bit)

And then Cabin in the woods is going to have more than a couple of rooms with zombies in them because they were a really big part of the movie.

Of course I don't know anything about anything. I might be way off. It is just an observation. we might see a lot of zombie like creatures in the houses as well. at least in the way they look.

Edited by LV-426

Yeah... AWIL was the only factually-based haunt in Jimmy's April Fools video.

That's why it's an April Fool's video.

Well last year we saw the Penn and Teller house. You never know what could be true about Dr.'s April fools jokes.

Well last year we saw the Penn and Teller house. You never know what could be true about Dr.'s April fools jokes.

No... At this point we know what's true. AWIL is the only haunt from this April Fool's videos that was based in reality. He used it because it had been nixed last year and so common sense said they would use it this year.

Even Penn & Teller had speculation building prior to April.

• Like 2

Any thoughts on how the event will be marketed this year? Universal seems like they're going all in on TWD, giving it one of the best house locations and 100% of the street experience. Its smaller presence last year resulted in it getting top billing on just about everything. Since so much of the 2014 event will be invested in TWD's popularity, it kind of has to headline in all the ad campaigns. But should it? It's probably not a good thing if the first words to pop into a potential guest's head after watching the commercial are "Walking Dead again?" Advertising something that people have already seen just a year prior seems like a bad method of convincing them to come again.
Maybe I'm underestimating the popularity of the show, but it does seem like Universal would have to lead with something fresh.

No offense, but I'm afraid you probably are underestimating the popularity of the show--it's a ratings juggernaut. Among 18-49 year-olds (the HHN demographic), it's the highest rated scripted show on television, including the broadcast networks. It's basically the biggest hit show on TV right now, second only to football.

In that sense, I understand why Universal is trying to milk this cash cow. This is the equivalent of being able to open an American Idol attraction in 2005 (not years later like DHS did) or a Star Wars ride in 1979--it's a mainstream IP, far more mainstream than any horror movie in years, at the height of its popularity. It's probably a once-a-generation thing. I don't see another HHN-friendly IP being this embraced like this by the general public for a decade or two. The last time I can think of something like this happening would probably be The Exorcist, or maybe Nightmare on Elm Street. You get a chance to exploit something like this, I think you take it.

• Like 1

I know a lot of you are upset about TWD, as I am more disappointed than anything. But if you don't have faith in the concept, at least have hope and trust for those who will actually be scaring you. As a scareactor, I can speak for myself, I will do the best I can to give you all the best experience possible with what we're given. I know there is more than just me that has the same motives, so just let us take care of it!
I'm sure you guys will be awesome this year as you guys been in the past. I for one am uber excited about this year, and excited to see what they do with the streets, and second go around of TWD.

Anyone with common sense knows to just enjoy dr Jimmy's April fools videos. Don't tell me some of you are expecting a JAWS house. Lineup has been officially set, just go back and read the update post at the beggining of the thread.

It's not going to be a JAWS house anymore. It's gonna be SHARKNADO!!!!!

• Like 10

Here's what you will probably get.
A shirt with the tag ling and the houses.
A definite TWD shirt.
Probably one for each movie IP.
Non-HHN related RE shirts...
And a buch of non-HHN related Ip products.

• Like 2