Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

JDW

With people saying TWD is the most succeful IP and more mainstream then any recent horror movie, don't get me wrong, I love TWD, but there are plenty of other great horror TV Series. True Blood, Hannibal, Bates Motel, American Horror Story, old series like the Twlight Zone and Tales from the Crypt, which have cult followings still. I'll still trust TWD for another year, but I'm hopeing this house doesn't come back next year. And maybe they could replace it with another popular horror tv show.

It doesn't matter anymore really.

It has happened, It's happening, and it will happen.

Like it or loathe it's best to press onward, drink the koolaid, and look at the other aspects of the event.

• Like 3

With people saying TWD is the most succeful IP and more mainstream then any recent horror movie, don't get me wrong, I love TWD, but there are plenty of other great horror TV Series. True Blood, Hannibal, Bates Motel, American Horror Story, old series like the Twlight Zone and Tales from the Crypt, which have cult followings still. I'll still trust TWD for another year, but I'm hopeing this house doesn't come back next year. And maybe they could replace it with another popular horror tv show.

The key words there are "cult following." TWD is the #1 show on TV--not the #1 genre/scifi show, not the #1 cable show, THE #1 show. It's a cultural phenomenon that's peaking--the season finale was the highest-rated ever. Universal locked up the rights before anyone knew it was going to be this big, they'd be crazy not to continue to exploit the IP.

Fall 2014 is a long way off, pop culture-wise. Good chance TWD fever dies down by then--nothing stays hot forever. But I don't think we'll see another TV show or even a movie that captures the zeitgeist in the same way that can be used as the primary focus of marketing. As I said, this is a once-a-generation thing.

And to echo JDW, while I'm a begrudging TWD fan, I'm still excited for AWiL, CitW, Evil Dead, La Llorna, Bill & Ted ... if even just 4 of those 5 click, I think it will be a solid event.

• Like 2

Here's what you will probably get.A shirt with the tag ling and the houses.A definite TWD shirt.Probably one for each movie IP.Non-HHN related RE shirts...And a buch of non-HHN related Ip products.

That all sounds awesome, i'm down for some RE shirts.

CLASSIC!!!

No offense, but I'm afraid you probably are underestimating the popularity of the show--it's a ratings juggernaut. Among 18-49 year-olds (the HHN demographic), it's the highest rated scripted show on television, including the broadcast networks. It's basically the biggest hit show on TV right now, second only to football.

In that sense, I understand why Universal is trying to milk this cash cow. This is the equivalent of being able to open an American Idol attraction in 2005 (not years later like DHS did) or a Star Wars ride in 1979--it's a mainstream IP, far more mainstream than any horror movie in years, at the height of its popularity. It's probably a once-a-generation thing. I don't see another HHN-friendly IP being this embraced like this by the general public for a decade or two. The last time I can think of something like this happening would probably be The Exorcist, or maybe Nightmare on Elm Street. You get a chance to exploit something like this, I think you take it.

If Walking Dead is such a hot property, if it makes so much money. Why don't they do something Permanent with Walking Dead? a roller coaster? a 3D movie.

Hell, they can even just theme a restaurant with Walking Dead and people will pay to see it. I'm just saying. I know they couldn't do a permanent WD house but if it brings so much people to the park, why not do something that will stay all year round? Wouldn't that make sense business wise?

Just imagine the amount of people that would come to the park to eat a Walker Burger and Walker fries.

It's not about just having the franchise in the park. You have to develop an attraction best suited to the location, the capabilities and the property itself in order to best capitalize on it. And an amusement park attraction doesn't get more Walking Dead than a park swarmed with the walking dead.

And your suggestion of a restaurant is, honestly, just asinine. Theme parks don't advertise restaurants or walk-throughs as headline draws. Typically restaurants will get more attention than a press release only when it's part of a massive expansion (Springfield, New Fantasyland, WWoHP).

There are two super effective ways to do a non-ride attraction based on any horror franchise and draw people in: Haunted house/walk-through or haunted "experience." Anything other than that isn't worth the money put into developing it. Universal is capitalizing on TWD in the most effective way possible with their decision.

• Like 6

what if they replaced the Horror Make-Up Show? Or change the show to be all about Walking Dead and how the zombies are created for the show? make the whole show about Walking Dead? I bet many, many people would want to see that. Would Probably be bigger than Transformers.

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 1

Just throwing it out there, but I believe Universal in Japan just opened a temporary Resident Evil "attraction". I put quotes around attraction because it seems more like a video game type experience, kind of along the lines of MIB but without the ride vehicle and live actors (I think?). It's really not a far fetched idea if you really think about it. It's different, temporary, and they could do it leading up to a new season or something. This would also allow them to sell merchandise, too. Quite honestly, if they love WD so much, why not? People always say Universal has been about the movies... Well, more and more of entertainment these days is on television.

Edited by Goo
  • Like 2

If Walking Dead is such a hot property, if it makes so much money. Why don't they do something Permanent with Walking Dead? a roller coaster? a 3D movie.

Hell, they can even just theme a restaurant with Walking Dead and people will pay to see it. I'm just saying. I know they couldn't do a permanent WD house but if it brings so much people to the park, why not do something that will stay all year round? Wouldn't that make sense business wise?

Just imagine the amount of people that would come to the park to eat a Walker Burger and Walker fries.

The problem is--nothing stays hot forever. This has actually been a big problem for Disney's Hollywood Studios. Built a "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire Show" only to have the show cancelled, then spent a boatload of money on the American Idol Experience too late to capitalize on the real insanity of the show, and now have a dated centerpiece attraction based on a show with falling ratings (and likely to be based on nothing, like Fear Factor Live, in a couple more years).

As Legacy said, the perfect way to to do this is a temporary attraction. Especially one during an "adults only" event to avoid alienating the family crowd. That way, in 3 years, when the hot show is about a talking dog lawyer, you don't have the albatross of a TWD walk-through in your park (again, like Fear Factor Live).

I really don't think Universal knew what they were getting when they first inked a deal in what had to be early 2012. A hit genre show that might be good for a house, sure, but the biggest show on TV that could support virtually an entire HHN event? Not in their wildest dreams.

I actually could see this working. But I don't know how easy it is to write/cast a new show--or return to an old show. Also, TWD skews more adult than the current HMUS.

• Like 1

The problem is--nothing stays hot forever. This has actually been a big problem for Disney's Hollywood Studios. Built a "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire Show" only to have the show cancelled, then spent a boatload of money on the American Idol Experience too late to capitalize on the real insanity of the show, and now have a dated centerpiece attraction based on a show with falling ratings (and likely to be based on nothing, like Fear Factor Live, in a couple more years).

As Legacy said, the perfect way to to do this is a temporary attraction. Especially one during an "adults only" event to avoid alienating the family crowd. That way, in 3 years, when the hot show is about a talking dog lawyer, you don't have the albatross of a TWD walk-through in your park (again, like Fear Factor Live).

I really don't think Universal knew what they were getting when they first inked a deal in what had to be early 2012. A hit genre show that might be good for a house, sure, but the biggest show on TV that could support virtually an entire HHN event? Not in their wildest dreams.

I actually could see this working. But I don't know how easy it is to write/cast a new show--or return to an old show. Also, TWD skews more adult than the current HMUS.

I wasn't even trying to be sarcastic or be a smartass. It was something that I was wondering about since Walking Dead is so big. But I guess you are right about nothing staying hot forever.

They could always just bring Walking Dead every year for HHN I guess.

AWIL a comedy? Hmm I remember being scared out of my pants when that came on HBO (and subsequently my parents not really stopping me from watching enough to give me perpetual nightmares).

HOWEVER,

Apparently the Japanese thought it was a comedy when they designed their movie poster back when it first came out.

192836_v1.jpg

On second thought... hmm yeah this version totally captures the essence of the movie: I goofy American werewolf goes to London to find love... hijinks ensue.

(queue the Benny Hill music)

• Like 4

AWIL a comedy? Hmm I remember being scared out of my pants when that came on HBO (and subsequently my parents not really stopping me from watching enough to give me perpetual nightmares).

HOWEVER,

Apparent the Japanese thought it was a comedy when they designed their movie poster back when it first came out.

192836_v1.jpg

On second thought... hmm yeah this version totally captures the essence of the movie: I goofy American werewolf goes to London to find love... hijinks ensue.

(queue the Benny Hill music)

Dude I may be alone in this but I REALLY hope AWIL isn't comical. I grew up on that movie.....I remember it terrifying my dad he's terrified of werewolves to this day he won't watch it again. I remember there being some comical MOMENTS but as a whole....nahhh! I want awesome werewolf make up and the ever popular TRANSFORMATION!!!! That transformation was the biggest deal in make up back then it was huge. I can't wait to see what they could do with today's technology and make up effects. It has potential to be really awesome. Fingers crossed ;)

• Like 2

Dude I may be alone in this but I REALLY hope AWIL isn't comical. I grew up on that movie.....I remember it terrifying my dad he's terrified of werewolves to this day he won't watch it again. I remember there being some comical MOMENTS but as a whole....nahhh! I want awesome werewolf make up and the ever popular TRANSFORMATION!!!! That transformation was the biggest deal in make up back then it was huge. I can't wait to see what they could do with today's technology and make up effects. It has potential to be really awesome. Fingers crossed ;)

Your not alone. That nazi werewolf scene scared me as a child along with the transformation. One scene I want to see them pull off is the movie theather, my only concern is that movie playing during the scene ;)

There STILL hasn't been a transformation like that since. Such a great scene. Yes I know the Howling and In the Company of Wolves were awesome also but not AS awesome!

Your not alone. That nazi werewolf scene scared me as a child along with the transformation. One scene I want to see them pull off is the movie theather, my only concern is that movie playing during the scene ;)
Good question.... What would be a good film to be playing if they did that scene????

Why do people assume we have to have a comedy house?

It is an assumption, but we've had one, what, 5 or 6 years in a row now? I think it will be CitW, not AWiL, tho. Honestly, I don't see how you showcase mermen and a killer unicorn without making it dark comedy. A bloodied, viscous killer ... unicorn.

• Like 1

It is an assumption, but we've had one, what, 5 or 6 years in a row now? I think it will be CitW, not AWiL, tho. Honestly, I don't see how you showcase mermen and a killer unicorn without making it dark comedy. A bloodied, viscous killer ... unicorn.

I would love to see the full scaled Unicorn attacking one of the workers like in the movie, That'd be PRICELESS! I wonder if they'll sneak some people in that house with the masks from The Purge?

There STILL hasn't been a transformation like that since. Such a great scene.

Yes I know the Howling and In the Company of Wolves were awesome also but not AS awesome!

Good question.... What would be a good film to be playing if they did that scene????

Wolfman maybe lol. The orignal. Kinda as a tribute in some way

• Like 1

You'll probably get a room with Blue Moon playing and then a half transformed David charger. Or David on the floor with the sound of bones cracking.

I just hope the theater has a chorus of freshly undead people telling you to commit suicide. That scene was a crowning moment in dark humor. The transformation scene, as brutal as it was, was played for laughs with the soundtrack. Playing it as straight horror would be silly, not to mention insulting to John Landis. He took great pride in how humorous yet brutal the movie was.

Edited by ferox
  • Like 1

My thought exactly!

Also the name of the "film" in the theatre scene is called See You Next Wednesday..... I had to look it up :)

It's actually not a film. It's a in joke in John Landis films... and has carried over to other films such a AWIL.

It's also mention as the movie that MJ is watching in Thriller and a bunch of other movies.

But the movie is never the same movie.

• Like 1