HHN 22 Discussion

I thought this opinion debate would of ended with speculation. I guess not!

Again, everyone can have an opinion good or bad. If someone don't like a house for whatever reason, they can express that. If someone said "Hey, that house sucks, don't go in it" then that is trying to force an opinion which is a little different. Honestly, I wasn't excited for House of Horrors on EP or Friday night, however it was a bit better last night.

As for HoH being last minute, it was discussed that this was the last house to be completed and wasn't even complete on EP night, so in that regard it was a valid point to the opinion.

Give the casts sometime to get into the characters and the space they work in. Everyone I'm pretty sure is working hard to make a great experience for everyone that walks through the event, but please let people express an opinion even if it's negative!

I'm not on any one members side here, let's just not get upset over negative sayings about the event.

• Like 1

and I have never said anything negative or offensive to any actor,

I want to make that clear, some of my opinions about the houses will be negative, but I have never thought that about the actors because I respect them for doing this job, I can understand if someone feels defensive because they think people are bashing the actors, but at least I am not, I never have, I understand this job is difficult and they have to deal with really rude guests, and drunk guests as well, I honestly mean that,

it is too hard to tell yet, once it stopped raining the lines got to an hour and more, but that was to be expected after the rain stopped,

I think by next weekend we all might be able to see how crowded it gets, with half the park blocked, the zones moving and being an IP year I do expect the park to get really crowded,

I meant the crowds specifically for opening weekend. I do think Walking Dead is going to bring in people who had not gone before. But I hadn't seen it that busy in the last couple years I have gone opening weekend, nor the second weekend for that matter. As you said, It may have felt more crowded with there not being as much space for the crowds to disburse to, but I do know I was able to accomplish a lot more in the first couple weekends the past couple of years than I did this weekend. Maybe I was just lucky.

I meant the crowds specifically for opening weekend. I do think Walking Dead is going to bring in people who had not gone before. But I hadn't seen it that busy in the last couple years I have gone opening weekend, nor the second weekend for that matter. As you said, It may have felt more crowded with there not being as much space for the crowds to disburse to, but I do know I was able to accomplish a lot more in the first couple weekends the past couple of years than I did this weekend. Maybe I was just lucky.

I think the streets blocked are going to make people just go to what they want to do more faster, what I mean is there is not a lot of space to wander around, I guess people were more focused on doing the houses

• Like 1

While I think the scaractors and staff (especially the ones who had to stand in the heavy rain on Friday night) have done an amazing job this past weekend, I do have one criticism for some of the support staff inside the houses. I realize that they have to be there to make sure guest are not getting out of hand or whatever, but there were some that kept saying move along to almost every guest that walked by. The line in the house was moving at a normal pace, yet some of them kept saying please move along, please move along; it really takes away from the experience.

Did anyone else experience this while walking through any of the house?

• Like 1

While I think the scaractors and staff (especially the ones who had to stand in the heavy rain on Friday night) have done an amazing job this past weekend, I do have one criticism for some of the support staff inside the houses. I realize that they have to be there to make sure guest are not getting out of hand or whatever, but there were some that kept saying move along to almost every guest that walked by. The line in the house was moving at a normal pace, yet some of them kept saying please move along, please move along; it really takes away from the experience.

Did anyone else experience this while walking through any of the house?

that always happens, almost every year, I only experienced it in Silent Hill I think,

I attended Friday and Saturday night. While I enjoyed seeing the scareactors in random places, (saw one get some people coming out of Despicable Me pretty good) I really missed the themed scarezones. I would have loved a hybrid of the two. I also think the lack of defined scarezones is making the house lines longer.

Which leaves me with this question for other vets of opening weekend. Did it seem much more busy to you this one? I ask because the last couple of years, I have been able to run through most, if not all, the houses twice in a night, by going to the AP party, then hitting the rest of the houses as the park opened, and then going back to all the houses using express. There was no way that was happening this past weekend, even on Friday when half the night it was pouring buckets, and we waited in some express lines for almost half an hour. I am sure the missing 8th house contributed, but I have never seen it like this opening weekend before.

It did feel busier, which surprised me, given this is the earliest opening yet (generally casual fans don't seem to show up until Hell Week). I think it's a perfect storm--no scarezones, 7 houses instead of 8, no Jaws, a lot less open space to wander. And, of course, the event gets more and more popular every year--after last year's amazing house line-up, I imagine anyone who went will bring at least a couple new people this year (or make it a point to come earlier in the season).

Re: the event overall, purely anecdotal, but Facebook reactions from locals who look forward to this event every year have been largely negative (with the exception of Gothic). That's not saying no one should come to the event, and it doesn't mean HHN should be cancelled from here on out. It simply is recognizing it isn't gelling for a lot of fans this year. Nobody hits a home run at every at bat.

I think a lot of the negative reaction may have been because of how different things are, maybe more that than the actual quality. I've been enjoying everything I've seen (especially the streets, and I see a hell of a lot more of them than most people) and I see potential even when something falls flat, but a lot of stuff is different. Gothic and Dead End have a lot of big budget effects and scenery, multiple houses are built to support stiltwalkers, a house that has multiple flying actors, the streets switch their location every other set and actors have freedom to go to all sorts of areas that were previously verboten, a crawlspace in House of Horrors, etc.

While it seemed at first like a throwaway year using IPs to get guests over quality, it turns out that they're taking a lot of risks and doing things differently. There's stuff going on, especially on the streets, that would have been unthinkable in previous years and everyone would have screamed about liability and injuries if they were brought up.

• Like 2

I basically wrote my review on those computers towards the exit of the park the other night so as much as I'd like to write a review of the event, I don't feel like rewriting it right now haha. My overall thoughts on the event after Friday and Saturday are as follows. I used the shortcuts around the park as much as anybody the past years and the fact that they were cut out didn't really affect me as much as it seemed to affect others. I enjoyed all of the houses greatly. I thought AC was not up to par with past houses the first time around but I enjoyed it a bit more the second time. I think P&T is one of the best 3D houses yet. Gothic is wonderful. The Walking Dead was good the first time around but I think I was blinded by the detail and relevance to the show (big fan here) to see that it's really not at all scary. The streets redeemed themselves the second night because the rain the first night made things absolutely terrible and I was very disappointed. Overall, I am glad I get to see this event progress with my FFP+ because I am positive it will.

• Like 1

One thing I will say that will probably get me screamed at, I really don't take too much stock in the Facebook comments. A large number of those people aren't real or plants. I cannot begin to tell you how many fake profiles I reported to Facebook last year. I've already reported at least 20 fake profiles to Facebook this year... It's very difficult to weed out the real, the fake, the trolls, and the plants on Facebook. A public Facebook page is honestly no different than a comments or talk back section on a website. And now that the event has started, it will get worse. Not saying it's all fake, just not a very good radar to gauge reaction from guests.

That being said, I think this year is decidedly mixed so far. And there is a very clear differences between guests that went on Friday compared to Saturday. For obvious reasons. Some people really dig the street experience, others prefer Scare Zones. Both have their merits and both have their problems. Houses seem to be all over the board, which is actually a good thing. It's also a great year for those that like the people watch. :)

There's an entire event to tighten things up a bit. That's honestly how I personally feel. It's a solid year thus far, but some room for improvement. It's just a very different approach which I am not used to. I actually prefer the moody atmosphere around the entire park rather than just spotty Scare Zones, and the lagoon just adds to that for me. Not the tributes, but the moody mist and lights coming off the lagoon, is just so freaking pretty and grand. I do have gripes here and there overall, but I would just be nitpicking.

God Damn it I really need to see these streets but it if freaking rains Thursday and Friday that will be 2 more days that I wont be able to.... -_-

Im going again this friday & saturday :/ But hopefully its like last saturday (50% chance of rain and no rain) and not like friday

I did like the streets better than I thought I would, though I would have preferred scarezones. I did like how the scareactors were now allowed to come up onto the sidewalks and up against store windows. I even saw some sit down on benches next to guests.

Oh, we went to far more places than just sidewalks or benches.

If you're not in the bathroom or at guest services, you're probably not safe from being scared. And the first one is still a bit nebulous in its safety.

• Like 1

Wasn't quite sure where to post this as it's not technically about HHN, however it does affect it. Looks like the construction crews tonight have built a new wall in the former Amity area that pushes the pathway back towards the water. From what I can see, it looks like we could be walking along the new waterfront pathway starting tommorrow (well later today actually), but defenitely by HHN on Thursday.

• Like 1

Couple of quick stay and scream questions-is the finnegans holding area being used this year? Also, are the SS houses accessible before park open, and if so, in which order do they open?

Thanks! I Hit AP night last weekend so I haven't done S&S yet this year...

Yes, Finnegan's is being used for Stay and Scream. Silent Hill opens early this year, followed by Gothic and then Dead End..

Weather Channel says this:

My.png 5 Day Forecast

Updated: Sep 25, 2012, 12:05pm EDT

Today Sep 25

28.png

85°F

72°F

Mostly Cloudy

Chance of rain: 20% Wind: NE at 10 mph

Wed Sep 26

37.png

89°

73°

Isolated T-Storms

Chance of rain: 30% Wind: NE at 10 mph

Thu Sep 27

37.png

85°

72°

Isolated T-Storms

Chance of rain: 30% Wind: NNE at 10 mph

Fri Sep 28

30.png

86°

71°

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain: 20% Wind: NE at 9 mph

Sat Sep 29

30.png

87°

72°

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain: 20% Wind: ENE at 6 mph

I've been checking religiously every day for a week.. cuz we are flying down tomorrow to attend on Thurs, Fri & Sat. It'll be ok..

• Like 1

It was awesome seeing Dr Jimmy, Jakemeister, and JWFearman briefly on Saturday night. Hope you guys had a great time.

I also ran into Mike Aiello in Finnegan's with a whole table of AD people. I made sure to get a round of shots for them in appreciation of all they do.

My wife snagged a (super blurry) pic as well and threw it on her Instagram:

49305c54053311e294471231380ff9db_7.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry if this has been asked already, but were there some random groups of mixed hordes walking around this weekend?

It seemed like on more than one occasion, I saw a group that consisted of a vampire, traditional, and possibly a beast (although I couldn't tell since I never did find their horde)