HHN 22 Discussion

It seems like a lot of people are having good experiences with the street experience... I unfortunately have not seem them too much... i only saw them once saturday night when they were integrated in front of MIB and world expo... I'm hoping i see them more spread out on my later visits... I'm still optimistic though!

• Like 1

Oh, is there a special program where you guys get recognized for going above and beyond? I think this is great as it will inspire much creativity on the scareactors' part.

There is indeed one, it may be a little harder for streets though. I would look for an ASM or a coordinator in the area, they wear all black and have walkie talkies with ear pieces. Just let them know who you thought did a great job.

• Like 1

Did anybody see the vampires go into Ben & Jerry's last night? That was freaking epic. They went in, 2 seconds later, like 5 people came running out screaming. I too am really liking the Street Experience. Yes, it's not as prop heavy as in years past, but the lighting, audio, actor's, and incidences like Ben & Jerry's, Louies, and Finnegans are making it all worthwhile. I suspect as time goes on the actors may get more and more comfortable doing things like going into Louies, or other places.

On a side note, I may have had the biggest scare of my life last night. And it came from foliage. That's all I'll say at risk of spoiling too much, but I had absolutely no idea this was happening at the event.

I had expected a turn around in people's attitudes but not quite this much. I'm really looking forward to my trip now. I had heard rumors of things happening this year but was worried about how it would all come together. It seems they've figured it all out and have things working pretty well now. I would think it would continue to improve as everyone gets used to the new way of doing things.

Edited by AaronPaHHNFan

Remember some of us never had any negativity towards this years event.

Remember some of us never had any negativity towards this years event.

Exactly. I honestly don't see how some people are saying scare zones are better and that the street experiences are what killed this year. From what i've seen going all day friday & saturday, there was ALOT more dead space with scare zones than with these street experiences, and just the whole atmosphere wasn't nearly as good as it feels this year. But of course that's just my opinion, not trying to start any little arguments. There's always things they can do to improve, but all I can see happening is this year getting better and better.

Edited by Giorules

Did anybody see the vampires go into Ben & Jerry's last night? That was freaking epic. They went in, 2 seconds later, like 5 people came running out screaming. I too am really liking the Street Experience. Yes, it's not as prop heavy as in years past, but the lighting, audio, actor's, and incidences like Ben & Jerry's, Louies, and Finnegans are making it all worthwhile. I suspect as time goes on the actors may get more and more comfortable doing things like going into Louies, or other places.

On a side note, I may have had the biggest scare of my life last night. And it came from foliage. That's all I'll say at risk of spoiling too much, but I had absolutely no idea this was happening at the event.

We still need ASM or coordinators to wave us into stores and restaurants (or the arcade), but last night they were quite liberal regarding it. However, it's the scareactors' decision to move on sidewalks and through exterior cafe tables. I got plenty of people sitting around the tables outside Starbucks and some people watching the lagoon show on South Street. One of the very first things I even did on my first NYC set was get probably half the smokers in Gramercy Park.

• Like 2

Three months ago everyone and their mother was hailing this as the worst event ever. Now this...

I had expected a turn around in people's attitudes but not quite this much. I'm really looking forward to my trip now. I had heard rumors of things happening this year but was worried about how it would all come together. It seems they've figured it all out and have things working pretty well now. I would think it would continue to improve as everyone gets used to the new way of doing things.

couple of houses are pretty shitty though, I mean, House of horrors was made last minute, and it shows,

couple of houses are pretty shitty though, I mean, House of horrors was made last minute, and it shows,

Its called an opinion...

People are entitled to like House of Horrors if they enjoyed it, you didn't enjoy it okay but its a no go on calling it blatantly a shitty house.

• Like 2

I think its up to people's own opinions on whether a house is good or not. I had friends that came up from Miami and absolutely loved House of Horrors.

I personally don't think any house is shitty this year. I know every scareactor cast, whether it be house or street are busting their asses to try and make this year one of the best.

• Like 4

The event is good, it just feels incomplete. Idk. The costumes and prosthetics look half-assed. Anything latex looks especially atrocious. The lack of dedicated sets in the streets make it feel empty. All of the houses feel pretty "meh" to me, as do the shows.

Idk. It just doesn't feel as "complete" to me as it has years past. I am still enjoying myself though.

Its called an opinion...

People are entitled to like House of Horrors if they enjoyed it, you didn't enjoy it okay but its a no go on calling it blatantly a shitty house.

And he's entitled to his opinion if he thinks it was shitty. Calm your britches. I thought it was pretty shitty myself.

• Like 2

And he's entitled to his opinion if he thinks it was shitty. Calm your britches. I thought it was pretty shitty myself.

But is it a valid opinion?

I'm pretty sure he stated House of Horrors was last minute as a fact, which may not be the case for all we know.

I'm pretty sure he stated House of Horrors was last minute as a fact, which may not be the case for all we know.

His opinion was that the house was bad. Which is very much a valid opinion. Whether or not the house was constructed "last minute" is irrelevant. If it was the house they had spent the most amount of time on and turned out the way it did, it wouldn't change his opinion on the fact that he found the house unenjoyable.

Drop me a PM if you want to continue this argument.

Its called an opinion...

I think its up to people's own opinions on whether a house is good or not. I had friends that came up from Miami and absolutely loved House of Horrors.

I personally don't think any house is shitty this year. I know every scareactor cast, whether it be house or street are busting their asses to try and make this year one of the best.

the thing I will never understand is why people expect you to lie about something you do not like, I don't mean you guys,

I mean anyone that attacks a negative opinion ( I'll be honest, I might even have done that myself a couple of times...) seems like any time anyone has something negative to say everyone else hates that person for it, or say that person is wrong, is like no one can have a negative opinion about HHN, it is not allowed or something, (again I mean in general this year)

my post was an response to CelioCantos, so I feel it was taken out of context, I do not hate Universal House of Horrors, but it was disappointing, I was not pleased with everything I saw in the house, some of the masks looked weird and ugly, the house has its problems,

the only house that is complete crap for me was Alice Cooper, and I am not the only one to feel that way,

I was just answering with my opinion. People were saying the streets were going to be horrible, and now everyone is praising the streets, I was saying how the streets look to become amazing, while the houses are lacking, the only house that was really great was Gothic, Alice Cooper and the Monster house were not as great as they could have been, I am sure people will like those two, which is fine,

but I don't understand why I should lie about something I Don't feel, just to please, we are all paying the same price for the tickets, this is not a charity event, I don't understand why people get so offended when someone says something negative about a house or a street, some things work and some things don't.

I have never said anything bad about any of the actors, just the sets and the costumes, I understand the actors work really hard to scare people, I admire that, this is not an easy job, I understand that and I respect that, all my criticisms are about the houses themselves, not the actors, so I am not trying to offend anyone of the actors, I never have,

I'm just saying, an event this big will have its good things and its bad things, that's just normal. for example People hated The Spawning and I liked it. People liked Leave to Cleaver and I hated it. it is just going to happen, everyone should be allowed to say what they feel and that will not always be positive, since this is an open forum.

Edited by Mr. Black

I attended Friday and Saturday night. While I enjoyed seeing the scareactors in random places, (saw one get some people coming out of Despicable Me pretty good) I really missed the themed scarezones. I would have loved a hybrid of the two. I also think the lack of defined scarezones is making the house lines longer.

Which leaves me with this question for other vets of opening weekend. Did it seem much more busy to you this one? I ask because the last couple of years, I have been able to run through most, if not all, the houses twice in a night, by going to the AP party, then hitting the rest of the houses as the park opened, and then going back to all the houses using express. There was no way that was happening this past weekend, even on Friday when half the night it was pouring buckets, and we waited in some express lines for almost half an hour. I am sure the missing 8th house contributed, but I have never seen it like this opening weekend before.

• Like 4

I attended Friday and Saturday night. While I enjoyed seeing the scareactors in random places, (saw one get some people coming out of Despicable Me pretty good) I really missed the themed scarezones. I would have loved a hybrid of the two. I also think the lack of defined scarezones is making the house lines longer.

Which leaves me with this question for other vets of opening weekend. Did it seem much more busy to you this one? I ask because the last couple of years, I have been able to run through most, if not all, the houses twice in a night, by going to the AP party, then hitting the rest of the houses as the park opened, and then going back to all the houses using express. There was no way that was happening this past weekend, even on Friday when half the night it was pouring buckets, and we waited in some express lines for almost half an hour. I am sure the missing 8th house contributed, but I have never seen it like this opening weekend before.

it is too hard to tell yet, once it stopped raining the lines got to an hour and more, but that was to be expected after the rain stopped,

I think by next weekend we all might be able to see how crowded it gets, with half the park blocked, the zones moving and being an IP year I do expect the park to get really crowded,