HHN 21 Discussion

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I've just been spoiled by the speculation, but the whole "Lady Luck" thing still has yet to really sing to me. I was looking forward to a Lady Luck, but I was hoping that they'd at least have somewhat of a backstory by now....we still know nothing about this character. The houses all look fantastic, and I'm looking forward to each and every one of them....especially the 3D and Blue Light house. Some of the scarezones seem awesome, though one or two seem a bit generic...but that's ok, because usually the actors will carry a zone regardless of how good or bad the theme is.

Either way, I'm still looking forward to this event. It's going to be a blast. It's just that the story and site just seem to be so "meh" so far though. I mean, anyone remember the warehouse experience? Not only were those games genuinely fun, but they were scary as hell too. These "luck" games are just annoying, and aren't scary at all...and don't explain the Lady in the slightest, except maybe in some hidden hints that we won't notice until after some facts are revealed.

Granted, there still is time, as I've told everyone that I've seen complain before now. It could still flesh out to be a lot better...and even if the website, games, and story don't flesh out to anything even the caliber of last year (which I really enjoyed, even though they did kinda blow Fear in the long run) I'm still going to have a hell of a time at the event, and love every second of it. That I'm sure of. So please nobody take this as a "hai gyz the event sux i no by ticket dis yerrr lololol" post. I'm just offering constructive criticism and my take on things because I know A&D reads these, and hopefully they can make sense of the event before it begins :).

Are you sure? Because eveyone else is telling me that it's correct the way it is. :blink:

Hades is where Nightingale's is in the pic and Hades was in SS23A. Nightingale's is in SS23B.

I'm pretty sure of that.

I hope that made sense.. lol

Edited by Victoria

Maybe I've just been spoiled by the speculation, but the whole "Lady Luck" thing still has yet to really sing to me. I was looking forward to a Lady Luck, but I was hoping that they'd at least have somewhat of a backstory by now....we still know nothing about this character. The houses all look fantastic, and I'm looking forward to each and every one of them....especially the 3D and Blue Light house. Some of the scarezones seem awesome, though one or two seem a bit generic...but that's ok, because usually the actors will carry a zone regardless of how good or bad the theme is.

Either way, I'm still looking forward to this event. It's going to be a blast. It's just that the story and site just seem to be so "meh" so far though. I mean, anyone remember the warehouse experience? Not only were those games genuinely fun, but they were scary as hell too. These "luck" games are just annoying, and aren't scary at all...and don't explain the Lady in the slightest, except maybe in some hidden hints that we won't notice until after some facts are revealed.

Granted, there still is time, as I've told everyone that I've seen complain before now. It could still flesh out to be a lot better...and even if the website, games, and story don't flesh out to anything even the caliber of last year (which I really enjoyed, even though they did kinda blow Fear in the long run) I'm still going to have a hell of a time at the event, and love every second of it. That I'm sure of. So please nobody take this as a "hai gyz the event sux i no by ticket dis yerrr lololol" post. I'm just offering constructive criticism and my take on things because I know A&D reads these, and hopefully they can make sense of the event before it begins :).

You know what Cramer? I'm in total agreement with everything you said there. On the whole the event looks great, interesting scarezones and houses and on paper it looks a better event than last year which I enjoyed also. Where I am dissapointed so far is in Lady Luck. Who is she? Why is she here this year (please tell me she isn't just bored and decided to strap guys to a spinning wheel lol)? What powers does she have other than turning monstrous (which isn't that original kinda reminds me of a vampire in Buffy)? Now I agree that there is still time for these things to be revealed but I've heard a few whispers that they won't and that they aren't gonna give her a background. This is disappointing because at the moment she's just a random character stuck at the head of the event. She reminds me of a movie without a plot, pointless. Really hoping they develope this character but even if they don't I think this years event is going to be great though. I can't wait.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortuna

Backstory. It may be all the backstory we get, as well.

That almost would make Hal's 'join us' type status updates make sense, but it still doesn't give a good impression of why she's here making all of these houses or whatever unless they cop out saying that our luck has run out and she's trying to kill us just for the hell of it. It does give a bit of insight to the "cult" thing though. If they used that wikipedia story and made it make sense for the purposes of the event I'd be content, because it definitely does have potential. It gives me a bit of hope...I know that they're not done and we still have some time, but that time's definitely running out.

I just hope that it isn't left at that. It'd kill a ton of the fun for me. Every year I have friends that call me, knowing I'm a huge fan of this event, asking what the theme is. Last year I remember telling them something along the lines of "Fear turned out to be controlling the icons in the past all along, and has now brought them all out for their final round of terror." They loved it. Convinced a few to buy tickets who otherwise wouldn't go otherwise. I even got in huge conversations with people while waiting in lines, and I'm sure that I directed a few to Nightmares....or in the past, the Vault.

I know that I'm basically repeating my previous post, but what I'm getting at is: What am I supposed to say this year? I'm certainly not going to tell anyone who asks me about the event my bitter thoughts. I don't want to turn anyone away from the event. And yes, people are asking me now...and I'm having a very awkward time explaining it. It's still going to be a hell of an event, crappy story or not, and I still want all of my friends to go, and I've even put on my to-do list "BUY YOUR FFP ALREADY!" All I can come up with is "Lady Luck has come to Orlando, and your luck has run out!" This doesn't entice friends at all. Last year we knew about Fear around this time, and I was able to give the whole story with no issues. Now I at least want an idea of what to tell people without disappointing them.

But I digress. I know that we do still have some time. I'm just hoping out loud. And as I said...I LOVE this event, and I'm going to LOVE it this year too! Even without a story, it's going to be a hell of a lot of fun! I just need to think of a better way to explain what's going on to my friends lol...I know that they have *some* things left to reveal, the rumors just aren't pointing those "things" to being an at least someone decent story.

That almost would make Hal's 'join us' type status updates make sense, but it still doesn't give a good impression of why she's here making all of these houses or whatever unless they cop out saying that our luck has run out and she's trying to kill us just for the hell of it. It does give a bit of insight to the "cult" thing though. If they used that wikipedia story and made it make sense for the purposes of the event I'd be content, because it definitely does have potential. It gives me a bit of hope...I know that they're not done and we still have some time, but that time's definitely running out.

What you were telling your friends previously isn't the theme though. That's the story. When they ask what the "theme is this tell the theme for this year is "Luck/Gambling." The basic theme last year was simply, "Fear." The '09 was "Movies." Bloody Mary was, "Urban Legends." The theme for this year has been obvious from the moment the teaser site went up.

There's confusion over what the "theme" and what the "story" is. The theme is a simple idea that carries the marketing of the event and potentially all the houses. The story is the only thing fans care about.

It was never officially addressed how all of the houses tied in last year, which is something everyone is forgetting. We justified it with "Oh, Fear inhabits every house and scarezone," and that was enough. But it wasn't true. The houses had no connection. If Cindy had been the icon last year (as was planned), there would have been no way to tie the houses together. What does the bubonic plague, super soldiers and a haunted asylum have common? Nothing. This year is the same way. "Luck" is the theme. "Lady Luck" is the "icon" (for lack of a better term right now). If the story isn't part of the build/marketing... there likely won't be one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortuna

Backstory. It may be all the backstory we get, as well.

In addition To the Roman Fortuna, Luck has been revered as a Goddess by many peoples throughout history.

Before the Romans the Greeks had Tyche, Goddess of Luck.

The pagan Celts of Ancient Britain worshiped Cerridwen, Goddess of the Moon, Death and Luck. I found one image of her that is quite interesting:

tumblr_lqsow6zpTY1qmxq3to1_500.jpg

Today Hindus worship Lakshmi, Goddess of Good Luck and Japanese worship Benten.

Another Japanese "deity" of Luck is the famous Lucky Cat the Maneki Neko. You have probably seen these beckoning cats near the entrances to sushi restaurants. According to Buddhist legend a female Bodhisattva of Good Fortune takes the shape of this cat. She has a shrine at the Gotokuji Temple in Japan, where they pray to her for good luck.

maneki-noko.jpg

It is believed that any female tri-colored Japanese Bobtail cat is an incarnation of the Luck goddess.

BOB is a female tri-colored Japanese Bobtail. OMG BOB is an avatar of Lady Luck!!!!

I think we need to change our mindset on the event to me last year made it clear the iconic era was over. The "icons" now are more abstract idea's personified for marketing mainly. We may not see I detailed fleshe out icon again for some time. I wasn't thrilled at first but I like the way the event is shaping up. And I'm really ready for the old iconic era to pass. Let's be real the formula was job what does he do, next why's he evil. So now these figureheads don't have to fit into the real world becuase they are not or ever were human. They are ideas. I know that not every one is going to be happy with this. But I think that's where we are going.

What you were telling your friends previously isn't the theme though. That's the story. When they ask what the "theme is this tell the theme for this year is "Luck/Gambling." The basic theme last year was simply, "Fear." The '09 was "Movies." Bloody Mary was, "Urban Legends." The theme for this year has been obvious from the moment the teaser site went up.

There's confusion over what the "theme" and what the "story" is. The theme is a simple idea that carries the marketing of the event and potentially all the houses. The story is the only thing fans care about.

It was never officially addressed how all of the houses tied in last year, which is something everyone is forgetting. We justified it with "Oh, Fear inhabits every house and scarezone," and that was enough. But it wasn't true. The houses had no connection. If Cindy had been the icon last year (as was planned), there would have been no way to tie the houses together. What does the bubonic plague, super soldiers and a haunted asylum have common? Nothing. This year is the same way. "Luck" is the theme. "Lady Luck" is the "icon" (for lack of a better term right now). If the story isn't part of the build/marketing... there likely won't be one.

In that case, I mean that I tell my friends the "story" each year. You're right, I wrote that before I was fully woken up.

Even though the story last year wasn't fully intricate and didn't have everything tying together, that's not what I'm asking for now. Granted, that's what I've asked for before the reveal, and is what I'd really love to have, but I know it isn't going to happen. Last year didn't have a full intricate story, but it still had a story...and a pretty decent one too. It created disappointment because it wasn't as intricate as previous years, but it still at least existed. This year we have no story at all so far. I'm not asking for another HHN18 or 15, I'm asking for something at least as decent as last year. At least, in terms of story.

Even though the houses and all of that didn't match up perfectly last year, they all linked somehow to the overall idea. They were all different emotions if I remember correctly, all based on one of the old icons....like Legend was the Storyteller and based on Hallow'd Past , Vengeance was the Usher and based on Psychoscareapy, etc etc. I was hoping at least for that this year, but hell, even without that much detail, just some kind of basic (but not 'cop out' basic) explanation of LL would make me a happy man.

I think we need to change our mindset on the event to me last year made it clear the iconic era was over. The "icons" now are more abstract idea's personified for marketing mainly. We may not see I detailed fleshe out icon again for some time. I wasn't thrilled at first but I like the way the event is shaping up. And I'm really ready for the old iconic era to pass. Let's be real the formula was job what does he do, next why's he evil. So now these figureheads don't have to fit into the real world becuase they are not or ever were human. They are ideas. I know that not every one is going to be happy with this. But I think that's where we are going.

I think you are right that they seem to be doing away with the icon backgrounds but that doesn't mean i gotta to be happy about it. And i'm not. Considering all the flak they got last year about Fear not being fleshed out and used more (and Lady Luck seems to be even less fleshed out at least we knew Fear was pulling the strings for the last 20 years) i really thought they would not do that again. I mean it wasn't just the forum people etc that were complaining last year, am i the only one to hear the general public saying things like "Whats this guys deal?" while looking at Fear pose and walking around the event last year. I just don't get it, they plan this event for a year. They do the hard work of coming up with an entertaining concept then do nothing to flesh it out. I find it odd as they have nothing to lose from making the character three dimensional but a lot to lose by not doing so. I'll still enjoy the event and i suspect most of you will too but i have to wonder that if this trend continues if it will have a detremental effect on the event in some peoples minds. I so don't want that, i love this event. I gotta ask the question is there anyone out there who actually likes a icon/mascot with no backstory more than one with a history and reason for doing what they do? If so tell me why?

HAVE YOU GUYS NOTICED

how when you're on the "Attractions" section of the HHN site, each HAUNTED HOUSE, has its own sound effect?

For example, the Bloodengutz house has a TV sound effect.

The Winter House has a loud ass scream, similar to the ones heard in legendary truth, and so on

i think this is awesome :D

I liked the icons of old as much as anyone. But it's better to not start to fall into the formula over and over. How many incarnations of a movie related icon can you do? Usher, the director, projectionist (ok he's not a true icon but still. Or literary an author, a librarian, or storyteller. Or the slasher icon we had Eddie that never was but any other incarnation would've seemed a cheap copy. I see it as a movie franchise. How many horror movies got silly after the third movie. I don't want to ever feel that universal is kicking a dead horse by rehashing past icons in new ways. If the iconic era continued it would've stopped being fresh and new.

So I miss the detailed icon, but thats a good thing.

So, I haven't posted on here much recently due to just being crazy busy, but I've read most posts and followed up on most spec. until the full reveal came out. Now I feel I must add my two cents for some things:

First off, let's talk Lady Luck. As an icon, I love the way she's portrayed on the media ART. (Burger King ads, in-store displays, etc.) The 'cartoon' if you will version, not the actress playing her. As for the actress, the "normal" side of her (if there really even is a normal side) isn't very appealing. I've heard her acting coming into question, and I think I know why. This is really the first time we've had a younger, female icon. We've had old creepy bitches, old creepy dudes, crazy clowns, and I guess you could consider the Director somewhat younger than most. But as for LL, it's really hard to play creepy/scary with a relatively normal look. When the first little clip of the commercial came out, I was a tad upset as well (I mean, what's with that laugh?) but after seeing the full commercial, I'm pretty stoked to see how well they can hash out that demonic side of her. As for the back story, I'm indifferent. I feel that if you're going to have an icon as poingant as Lady Luck, she should have SOME kind of one. Then again, we've had amazing years in the past that didn't have icons at all, which allowed for such a randomized selection of themes for houses and scarezones. In the back of my mind, I'm hoping that this isn't the FULL reveal, and that we will learn more of LL and her history, and I'll hold out until opening night in hopes that we might get more about her.

As for the Houses:

Nightingales: Blood Prey: I couldn't be more excited about. "War Of The Living Dead" was one of my favorite scarezones of all time. I've been waiting to see Uni do a war-themed house, and I'm excited to see one coming up now. Probably one of my more anticipated houses.

H.R. Bloodengutz Presents: Holidays of Horror:I've been a fan of the dark comedy houses ever since the first Psychoscareapy. The great thing about this house is everyone has memories of celebrating different holidays as kids, so it's something everyone can cling to and relate with. My only hope for this house is they throw in a Halloween scene, but something more ciche, and not as sinister/serious. Dead trick-or-treaters, rotten candy corns, etc. or even kind of a mockery of HHN itself. This idea has great potential.

Saws N Steam: Into The Machine:Not much to say about this other than I'm glad to see chainsaws brought into a house again. Texas Chainsaw Massacre made me cry at how detailed it was to the movie, and how just effing scary the entire thing was. Granted, it's not quite the same, but industrialized brutes with chainsaws in close spaces. Sign me up.

The Thing: Again, I've put my opinion on this before in the threads, so not much to say. I just hope for a better house than last time around with Assimilation.

Winter's Night: The Haunting Of Hawthorn Cemetary: Winter themed cemetary, supernatural house, maybe something with a little more back story, I'm all about this. I think with all the houses this year, this is obviously going to be the one with some depth behind it. I can't comment to much on it yet, but I'm excited to see what comes from it.

Neremore: The Madness Of Poe: I loved reading Poe in highschool, and I loved imagining the crazy sinister and dark things that happened in his stories. HOWEVER, I was a lot more interested in Poe's life. I'm desperately hoping that Uni will give account to some of the horrors and darkness that came about in his life (his wives, untimely death, etc.)

The Foresaken: I've said it before, I loved Ship Of Screams. Granted, we're not on a ship this time around, but from the sound of things, this is going to be great. I've always enjoyed the period houses. Plus, the fact that this has some factual history behind it makes me even more of a critic to see just how precise Uni is and how many ways they can reference and illude to Columbus.

The In Between: Okay, this one I need some help on. Portal to a new realm/world/dimension with creepy monster/alien/whatever life forms... is that really all we have to go on?

To add to the haunted house discussion: I'm really upset we don't have the casino themed house. Granted, HoS is doing one, but I would think that with such an overdone theme of gambling, lady luck, etc. that we would have gotten a house for it. Probably my biggest dissappoinment as of yet for the year.

Scarezones:

I'm just going to bunch them all together. Acid Assault reminds me somewhat of Deadtropolis. Which really makes me hope they make it a lot better than that, because I was excited for it just as I am for this. Will we be feeling the Acid Rain?? Grown Evil, HELL YES! Field Of Screams only more intense!? Yes, please! Probably the Scarezone I look forward to the most! Canyon Of Dark Souls to me seems like a little bit of a cop out. We'll see, but I'm not looking forward to this too much. I feel like this is going to be a heavy scenery/prop based SZ. 7 sounds amazing. I know there was talk about the seven deadly sins, and I wonder if they're going that route truly, or if there is something else there throwing in that I don't see. Uni made characters as opposed to the SDS. This is another reason for me that I hold out for more of a story line. Your Luck Has Run Out.... Come on, for real? Is this really the first time an Icon hasn't had their own house? Is this just the front area of the park where we normally see our Icon for the first time? If so, I can't believe that Lady Luck isn't being used more. Seems to me like a big waste of a good icon. Nightmaze. I know most people are pretty excited about this one, but I'm indifferent. Aside from changing the layout as you walk, I'm hoping that there will be legitimate scares as well. It's going to be difficult having scareactors focus on changing walls AND scaring patrons. If executed properly, it could be amazing, and Uni is who I'd put money on to make it work (which I will be with my expensive ass ticket).

Well, I would write about the shows and my overall feel a little more, but that will have to wait, for I am off to work. Thanks for reading my thoughts, if you did!

Edited by JONNYFXM

i've already noticed that they also have the HHN Promo stuff at both the Discount Ticket Place at the Navy Exchange near OIA (the one con about this is place is that as good as their prices are for a single night, along with tickets which give you the first few days, you must have a valid military ID to buy them). Here's the photos that i took from my DSi XL:

Here's the hanging display

303073_2240033633817_1037323585_2676411_161031_n.jpg

The countertop display

293557_2240034033827_1037323585_2676412_4600466_n.jpg

The full stand-up display

297262_2240034753845_1037323585_2676413_977459_n.jpg

and i don't know if someone did post promotional stuff from BK, but here's a bag i got at the Burger King at BVL (unfortunately the cups, outdoor sign, and tray liners have not arrived yet)

320939_2240035393861_1037323585_2676415_7801462_n.jpg

Edited by figment1988

There's a light glowing out of the double doors in the Backroom section of the website, where you choose to step inside. First time I've noticed it since the midnight reveal.

Thanks for pointing that out.

It's good to know something is going on back there...