HHN XXI Speculation II

what the hell is a extreme house?

An extreme house is a haunted maze, where you have to sign a waiver and scare actors can actually touch you. I suggest reading through previous pages of this thread to learn more about an extreme house.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be over reaching, but does anyone else notice a similarity with the books from the newest game and the other clues/games?

The Rime of the Ancyent Marinere (1798) a ship lost at sea

Wuthering Heights (1847) there's a lot of mention of ghosts in the book

Frankenstein (1818) this one maybe not so much.....unless its referencing back to 09 and the steam punk Frankenstein house

Vampyre (1819) the rumored vampire nurses?

Faust (1846) ties in with the rune house (devils and angels?)

Again, maybe my brain is overreacting

I may be over reaching, but does anyone else notice a similarity with the books from the newest game and the other clues/games?

The Rime of the Ancyent Marinere (1798) a ship lost at sea

Wuthering Heights (1847) there's a lot of mention of ghosts in the book

Frankenstein (1818) this one maybe not so much.....unless its referencing back to 09 and the steam punk Frankenstein house

Vampyre (1819) the rumored vampire nurses?

Faust (1846) ties in with the rune house (devils and angels?)

Again, maybe my brain is overreacting

I thought the same thing, actually. I think they might have chosen the titles purposely for their publication year and subject matter. For Frankenstein, I was thinking SnS, since many of the props from the '09 house were reused in the SnS scarezone. Plus, this house seems to have an "experimental" prequel feel. Science gone wrong!

wow... santa is a hint.. noone specced on that coming ;)

We have had pictures of that room and have known it was Christmas related for some time. However the house is more than that. There is an Easter room and I heard the rooms are all named after different holidays. To top it off production equipment strews the house and the facade is a hodgepodge of what look like backlot set pieces...

So as nice as it was to get a "official" pic of the house, it didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know.

I posted this in contruction but we are starting to get further and further away from actual construction so Im posting it here...

I just thought of something.. Charles got back and there is even More scaffolding with sheer black tarp on it all over the park. Sheer black tarp/scrim is used in projection of images. We've been hearing about 3d projection this year a good deal... maybe its cheaper than a physical facade? a lot of black tarps with projections can be whatever you want. Inner projection is more common method of projection on black scrim. That would keep them from having to reposition the projectors if they move the pieces.

Picture this: sets that moave AND change as the night goes on. With projections you could easily make the sets evolve as the night goes on and move! There are some really weird towers out in the park in weird locations. They all have this black scrim/tarp material. It is a possibility... I would think projections would be cheaper than building physical sets.

Either that or... they are trying to hide/obstruct construction. My only problem with that is why not use full on bloack out tarp rather than something you can see through?

That's possible.. I don't think it'd be as effective as actual sets, though. Behind the screen are fences. I figured they just didn't want people climbing on them. Also, some of them are as smoothed out as others.. But who knows!

Edited by Goo

Good point... I haven't seen them except for the pictures yet.

still could be outwardly projected... but trickier to line up. Just befuddled by all the black tarp...

and seeing as I have heard A LOT about projection being used this year... but two and two together...

another thing with projection. looks awesome at night. terrible in the day.

Here's an observation, it seems the majority of the houses this year will take place in a historical period.

The Thing is a prequel to the John Carpenter film taking place before the events of that movie. Although they may still retcon the film to be set in current day, this would suggest at least the house would be set in the year 1982.

The WWI house naturally would be set between the years 1914 and 1918.

The Haunted Cemetery appears to be Victorian and would thus likely be set in the late 1800's.

The Disaster! queue house appears from the Channel Surfing game to be set in the early 1970s.

The Saws n Steam house, of course, would take place in the alternate reality of New Yorkshire and thus be in a sense timeless. However, the whole Steampunk vibe is retro and is normally associated with the time period between 1820 and 1910.

The Parade Building house can be dated to the year 1492.

The Poe house would based on the game, take place near the end of Poe's life between the years 1831 and 1849.

This only leaves the Demon/Rune house in Sprung Tent 1. This may be the only house set in present day, but it could also take place earlier in the 20th century as well. I suggest this because our professor's office contains no digital equipment, but only hand written notes and papers. Of course he could simply be a bit old fashioned.

Here's an observation, it seems the majority of the houses this year will take place in a historical period.

The Thing is a prequel to the John Carpenter film taking place before the events of that movie. Although they may still retcon the film to be set in current day, this would suggest at least the house would be set in the year 1982.

The WWI house naturally would be set between the years 1914 and 1918.

The Haunted Cemetery appears to be Victorian and would thus likely be set in the late 1800's.

The Disaster! queue house appears from the Channel Surfing game to be set in the early 1970s.

The Saws n Steam house, of course, would take place in the alternate reality of New Yorkshire and thus be in a sense timeless. However, the whole Steampunk vibe is retro and is normally associated with the time period between 1820 and 1910.

The Poe house would based on the game, take place near the end of Poe's life between the years 1831 and 1849.

This only leaves the Demon/Rune house in Sprung Tent 1. This may be the only house set in present day, but it could also take place earlier in the 20th century as well. I suggest this because our professor's office contains no digital equipment, but only hand written notes and papers. Of course he could simply be a bit old fashioned.

I'm fairly certain the The Thing is set in 1982 since in a early interview one of the actors stated that his character once flew helicopters in Vietnam.

Is there anything specific to indicate that the house takes place then? I know the ship is from that time period, but I always figured it would be a "ghost ship" scenario, where it shows up again some time later with a dead crew...

The Thing is set a few days prior to the events of Outpost 31. The Thing follows the events that happen throughout the Norwegian camp and leading up to where the helicopter is shooting at the dog in the beginning of the original. So it is indeed 1982.

I really hope Jeramy is wrong when it comes to projections in the streets instead of sets. I think that would seriously take away from the overall feel of the event. I like feeling like I'm immersed into an alternate reality. I don't see how they could possibly make us feel that we're somewhere else when we're looking at a glorified picture.

Is there anything specific to indicate that the house takes place then? I know the ship is from that time period, but I always figured it would be a "ghost ship" scenario, where it shows up again some time later with a dead crew...

I am afraid there is nothing more I can say about that without forsaking my word not to reveal my sources.

Yeah... I'm not crazy about all projections either. Here's hoping we get some actual sets as usual...

I am afraid there is nothing more I can say about that without forsaking my word not to reveal my sources.

In other words, Dr. Jimmy has been proven reliable, trust his information that the house is dated to 1492.

Yea looked like a alien helmet out of a bad horror movie from the late 50's to 60's so I'm guessing the holiday house

I disagree. That doesn't fit in with the Holiday theme. I think it's for Saws & Steam. Seems more steam punk without the aging and paint on it.

It could be runes as I noted in the other thread - but I hadn't thought about the holiday house. The creature is sort of campy looking, more of strange & bizarre than outright scary. Could easily fit into the B-Movie Disaster queue. Or hell, even a scare zone we haven't learned about...