HHN XXI Speculation

Mark M.

That was just a prank of course, but I did base it on what were real rumors at the time. If any of those rumors were accurate then some of that may prove true after all. And I am evil enough that IF I did actually know something I MIGHT have parodied that in the videos as well.

It's She-Ra Fear, isn't it? :P

Edited by Circ

I agree with the comment about the Librarian icon. Something to do with literature would be amazing; imagine being transported inside of your favorite stories!! (I also think a Dr. Jerykl/ Mr. Hyde sort of character would be fun too) And yes, it would be linked to the Storyteller in the way the Director and the Usher were, but even then, those were two totally different icons!! (and while I love the Director, I agree that Julian definitely had more of an oomph to him. His backstory had a lot more meat than the latter)

One might have argued a Clown would have been too cheesy. Or an usher. Or a caretaker.

In the hands of the brilliant minds at Universal, any profession can be a tool in our utter terror ;)

idk how a bartender would work....but it could prove to be interesting.

Im sure whatever icon we end up getting will be amazing....I would love a librarian though. I think the thought of having a literature based year would be amazing; I mean, we've done movies so why not? I just wish we had some more solid evidence to base our suspecions on!!

Im sure whatever icon we end up getting will be amazing....I would love a librarian though. I think the thought of having a literature based year would be amazing; I mean, we've done movies so why not? I just wish we had some more solid evidence to base our suspecions on!!

Ive been wanting literature based houses for awhile. Turning classics into nightmares... Oh I love the sound of it! Kind of makes me think of that classics meets monsters book series, like "Pride Prejudice and Zombies" lol

Reading the Brothers Grimm will change your lives...it makes you see the REAL endings to all the classic disney tales....its pretty scary i used to love Disney now i cant even watch a disney movie without thinking about how they are really supposed to end.

If they go in the literature direction, I'd like to see a house themed around a garden or great lawn. A lot of literature use gardens and lawns for settings or for metaphors like in The Great Gatsby, Pride and Prejudice, Paradise Lost, etc,.

Edited by senortico

It really would be an interesting concept. And as it was said before, it doesn't all have to be "traditionally" scary stories, even thought I think Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde would be an AMAZING icon/house concept. But with the tradition of books like "pride and prejudice and zombies" being so popular right now, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a house with these kind of concepts popping up in the future.

But seriously: I would LOVE the see Jeykll/Hyde someday at HHN. Like a modern take on him...or even traditional (even though I think there's so much oppurtunity when you retell that story. I've seen so many good (and pretty horrible) adaptions.

I've actually been really into the idea ever since I heard somebody (Im not sure who or where it was) suggest that maybe Gabriel Fell was a jeykll/hyde character. While I dont think that's the case, I still don't want to loose hope of seeing this dasterdly villian haunt an HHN in the years to come ;)

If they go in the literature direction, I'd like to see a house themed around a garden or great lawn. A lot of literature use gardens and lawns for settings or for metaphors like in The Great Gatsby, Pride and Prejudice, Paradise Lost, etc,.

yeah I agree that would be pretty Great

I actually think the house should begin in a library, like, with a lot of shelves and actors hiding between the books, the Lawn Idea also sounds great as well, I could see the Icon Librarian in the style of Bloody Mary, a young librarian but scary, not like the story teller, more hardcore, what i mean is, more mean, more bloody, well, like bloody mary was, that's what I like about her so much, she was hard and scary

(actually when I think about it, most icons have a more softer personality, Director, Usher, caretaker, I mean the other Icon with a stronger personality was Jack but people consider him annoying, BUT Bloody mary was so in your face, well to me it appeared that way, with the screaming and the cuts in the face, i loved that about her character, of course when you think of "librarian" you think of quiet and calm, but, that would be the best part if they did this icon, that it would turn the tables on that)

Edited by black mask

I've actually been really into the idea ever since I heard somebody (Im not sure who or where it was) suggest that maybe Gabriel Fell was a jeykll/hyde character. While I dont think that's the case, I still don't want to loose hope of seeing this dasterdly villian haunt an HHN in the years to come ;)

It was me, what I pointed out was that Gabriel Fell, Ph.D. is therefore Dr. Fell. There was a creepy little poem written by Tom Brown:

I do not love thee, Dr Fell,

The reason why I cannot tell;

But this I know, and know full well,

I do not love thee, Dr Fell.

This was referenced in Robert Louis Stevenson's novel The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, in the scene where the solicitor Utterson first meets Hyde and is reminded of the poem by the inexplicable loathing he feels.

Dr. Fell was also the alias used by Hannibal Lecter in Italy in Thomas Harris' novel Hannibal.

yeah I agree that would be pretty Great

I actually think the house should begin in a library, like, with a lot of shelves and actors hiding between the books, the Lawn Idea also sounds great as well, I could see the Icon Librarian in the style of Bloody Mary, a young librarian but scary, not like the story teller, more hardcore, what i mean is, more mean, more bloody, well, like bloody mary was, that's what I like about her so much, she was hard and scary

(actually when I think about it, most icons have a more softer personality, Director, Usher, caretaker, I mean the other Icon with a stronger personality was Jack but people consider him annoying, BUT Bloody mary was so in your face, well to me it appeared that way, with the screaming and the cuts in the face, i loved that about her character, of course when you think of "librarian" you think of quiet and calm, but, that would be the best part if they did this icon, that it would turn the tables on that)

The Director wasn't soft. Polan was probably a bigger jerk than Jack was. Jack had this tongue-in-cheek, Kruger-lite manner about him whereas the Polan cared only about his film. The Phobia show he had in '03 showed just how insulting the character could be, especially when he didn't get the "performance" he wanted out of his actors. Just because he didn't scream or talk loudly didn't mean he was soft.

A "loud" Librarian wouldn't truly work from a marketing position, because it eliminates the one thing that makes a librarian instantly recognizable; "Silence." Any initial images that are solely of a Librarian would have to include the finger over the mouth because that's where the connection is. A female surrounded by books could be anything (especially with the Storyteller still being fresh in people's minds). The finger is necessary.

Now, with that, the silence of the Library could add a lot, and I would love to see the visuals of "Readers" having their mouths sewn shut to keep them quiet (in accordance with the Library rules). Honestly, I think it would be creepy, if we're going to have an icon, to have the Librarian have no mouth. Make it be a birth defect, which is why she got into reading (nothing else she could do). Her deformity led to her being constantly teased, which is why she turned evil and turning the stories she read into nightmarish reimagings. Initial images can show her using a book to hide her face, but the book drops and she has no mouth. Just nothing beneath her nose.

Ah, crap... I think I just came up with a good idea for the icon I don't want...

Now, with that, the silence of the Library could add a lot, and I would love to see the visuals of "Readers" having their mouths sewn shut to keep them quiet (in accordance with the Library rules). Honestly, I think it would be creepy, if we're going to have an icon, to have the Librarian have no mouth. Make it be a birth defect, which is why she got into reading (nothing else she could do). Her deformity led to her being constantly teased, which is why she turned evil and turning the stories she read into nightmarish reimagings. Initial images can show her using a book to hide her face, but the book drops and she has no mouth. Just nothing beneath her nose.

Ah, crap... I think I just came up with a good idea for the icon I don't want...

O.O

I shit my pants a little...

I've been on vacations (here in Orlando) and I haven't been here in a looooong time for well obvious reaosns (vacations) I would just like to know if we have anything concrete at all or at least some semi solid rumors or SOMETHING. Please send me a private message to tell me what we have/don't have. Please and thank yous!!!

Oh and I went to Universal Studios on June 17th and I saw that they had started constrution in Disaster and Jaws and well the Facades from the tents (Nothing too interesting or new..I know) .

I really like the idea of a literature based event (with or without an icon to go along with it; although Legacy's librarian description actually sounded pretty badass)

The key would be to create mazes based on literature that has not been adapted to film or television yet. The best thing about seeing a movie adaptation of a book is seeing how the movie brings all the characters and environments to life that only lived in your imagination while reading the book.

The problem with movie-based houses is that we are all expecting to see certain things portrayed certain ways, because we have seen them before on film. With a literature-based house (that hasn't been made into a movie yet), there are no pre-conceived notions of how a certain character or environment should look, only what we have dreamed up in our own minds from reading the story. This give Uni a lot more creative room and seeing how they would interpret the book as a house would make the maze much more interesting in my opinion.

But wouldnt a Librarian be too much like the Storyteller??

That's been my mentality ever since speculation started leaning towards a literature-based event. It's another big reason why I would almost prefer not having an icon this year. "The Writer" or "The Librarian" would essentially be a revamp of the Storyteller. Granted, the stories would be different, but it's still the same basic idea.

The plus of a "mouthless" Librarian though would be the simple fact that she would be so visibly striking. It would be a completely different look from from every icon that we have had, which would allow a character so similar to Elsa Strict in principle (story-based) to stand on her own. The commercials could be amazing (imagine a cross between the Director's torture commercials with a silent Bloody Mary), and it would allow such a different take on how the icon and her "minions" (the mouth-sewned Readers) interact with guests. When you make a noise, they attack. When you're completely silent, they ignore you. Have their "weapon" be a uniquely-fashioned "bookmark" that acts a razor, and crap... I'm making her even cooler...

I'm not suppose to want this character... she would be so different though...

The idea of her mouth not being existent would be amazing. There could even be a single, ugly scar where it should be (like she was born with only that there) I don't think there's ever been a completely silent icon before, has there?

I can see people being tortured and her, standing over her victims with a vacent expression. She could keep all her emotion in her eyes! Ooooh I love it .

With the right touches, this sort of icon could be totally diferent from the Storyteller. She doesn't even have to be an older woman either; she could be younger, like Bloody Mary was. Not as young as Cindy obviously, but you get the idea.