HHN XXI Speculation

Mark M.

With 2011 approaching us soon, we will begin any Halloween Horror Nights XXI speculation.

Please keep this thread about things we KNOW, and not things we THINK will happen. We can still use the HHN XXI Wishful Thinking thread for that.

Keep everything mature, we will keep this thread well moderated.

They need to leave Fear where he had been for the previous 19 years and come up with a new icon who is actually scary and has something to do with the event other than standing on stilts as a photo op.

You're right Fear should remain back in the shadow, but he was a great publicity stunt, they was way more people last year than any other year (except for BM) I could tell I've went to every event and just by looking 2010 was alot more people than any year, although 17-18 were really pouplar but still, I know they're going to bring back Fear to attract more vistors, but you never know, but I think they got the point that most HHN forum sites, that FEAR was LAME! The anticipation and build up to the event with Fear was better than Fear HIMSELF, I loved BM, Usher and all of them, but if Fear controlled them, they were whimps. Fear is an icon that should be a one time thing with the exception of reuoin. Sorry I'm rambling but still that was my two cents. Have a Sweet Nightmare, and Happy Speculating.

I think there are only three points of speculation thus far for 2011...

1) Will The Thing reappear at Halloween Horror Nights thanks to the new movie? Synergy, and past events, tell us "probably". I for one would be stoked to see an updated, all-new Thing house. Maybe in a soundstage this time?

2) How will Bill & Ted be affected by its new writer(s)? Will the show's quality improve, or will we get another XX-level stinker?

3) How much weight can we put into the supposed "clues" hidden away in Catacombs? Is the focus on "Death" (capitalized deliberately in several places) a clue or just something to throw us off? Will we be seeing The Grim Reaper as our icon?

you also have to thank harry potter for the increased attendance this year, people that came for HP that didn't even know HHN was there and they went to it as well.

but I siad that last spring.

You're right Fear should remain back in the shadow, but he was a great publicity stunt, they was way more people last year than any other year (except for BM) I could tell I've went to every event and just by looking 2010 was alot more people than any year, although 17-18 were really pouplar but still, I know they're going to bring back Fear to attract more vistors, but you never know, but I think they got the point that most HHN forum sites, that FEAR was LAME! The anticipation and build up to the event with Fear was better than Fear HIMSELF, I loved BM, Usher and all of them, but if Fear controlled them, they were whimps. Fear is an icon that should be a one time thing with the exception of reuoin. Sorry I'm rambling but still that was my two cents. Have a Sweet Nightmare, and Happy Speculating.

1) Will The Thing reappear at Halloween Horror Nights thanks to the new movie? Synergy, and past events, tell us "probably". I for one would be stoked to see an updated, all-new Thing house. Maybe in a soundstage this time?

2) How will Bill & Ted be affected by its new writer(s)? Will the show's quality improve, or will we get another XX-level stinker?

3) How much weight can we put into the supposed "clues" hidden away in Catacombs? Is the focus on "Death" (capitalized deliberately in several places) a clue or just something to throw us off? Will we be seeing The Grim Reaper as our icon?

I think theme has do with something we "FEAR" like with the whole, death, chaos, vengence, death, and vengence. Maybe each of those will be represented in each year for the the next five years? If so, not really creative but still you never know! I would flip the F**K out if Death or Grim Reaper will be our icon!

you also have to thank harry potter for the increased attendance this year, people that came for HP that didn't even know HHN was there and they went to it as well.

but I siad that last spring.

Yes that is true as well most people who wanted to go to Harry Potter, saw the commercial for HHN XX, were like woah we're going to that! I've also seen alot of HP shirts on people when I went last year.

XX was the end of HHN as we knew it, All things past will remain in the past, to take a line from Jack, "It;s time to think outside the box"

that could be for the best of for the worst, and, if XX was an indication of things to come, same thing, could be for the best and for the worst I'm afraid

XX was the end of HHN as we knew it, All things past will remain in the past, to take a line from Jack, "It;s time to think outside the box"

I agree.

All ICONS from the past, more than likely including FEAR are gone. Cindy on the other hand, as mentioned at the VIP Lounge could someday make a return.

As we know she was a concept to be used for HHN XX, however FEAR was on the table as well. They said 21 Years of Fear just wouldn't of sounded right, so they went with it last year.

All Houses and Scare Zones from FN-HNN 19 are gone. I believe the next "franchise" houses will be Catacombs (Plague Doctors) and Havoc.

Of course this is all based on if they stick with the whole "New Era" thing, and marketing don't mess it up and say we can't do that, or that won't work and just decide to bring Jack back.

As of right now we have no concrete information to speculate on.

but they would probably still use the same props?

Of course they will! They reuse sets and props many years in a row. It isn't financially feasible to re-buy props each year or even every few years.

I agree that they need to redesign the houses each year so that they don't basically re-theme an existing house (ie Spawning/HAVOC), making it seam redundant. I think, for the most part, they are good about rethinking the houses each year.

Yes!!! Franchise Havoc and Catacombs!

I have no problem with them reusing the Havoc set or the Catacombs set. The closed-in, trapped feeling worked perfectly for both houses and I don't think they can manage to get that in the soundstages. In fact, Havoc could go totally stripped down...it wasn't the effects (or lack thereof) that made that house. The actors were astonishing and putting them in a bare, black walled maze with little light and no fancy effects would be even more terrifying. Neither you nor they would have any other distractions. Make Havoc HHN's first "Alone" walkthrough, I say.

The only way to improve Catacombs, for me, would be to make it longer and a little darker. Those are two cosmetic changes that don't change the theme or impression of the house. I can't find anything else wrong with that house.

The soundstages need the big productions; Dead Silence, Freddy, Dracula, Frankenstein, Hades and those sort of big ticket offerings. I would like to see two soundstages used for something outrageous and challenging. Perhaps carrying on with the Zombigeddon theme with actual chasing? More of an obstacle course, a la Run, but with zombies. If the zombies 'catch' you, you get 'tagged' somehow...a washable, temporary blood red (or gooey green) stain on your clothes, maybe. Of course, warnings would have to be everywhere, but how much fun would that be?

Bring in the music ideas, too. I've seen names thrown around (I admit to being woefully under-educated in them) but I still like Creature Feature. Their music is quirky, not hardcore, and would appeal to more folks than the growly, speed stuff. I think their stuff would do well in the HHN setting, in return. They would go nicely with a steampunk theme...something else that's been bantered around.

Gosh, what a long wait this is going to be....

Mae

I think they are definitely going to go darker for HHN 21. XX was good in my opinion, on par or better than 19, but it wasn't as dark and dimented as Islands of Fear. They have reduced the gore and intensity since 2001. I have feeling they are going to go darker...more twisted and possible historical. When I say historical I mean similar to how they did HADES. Playing on mythology, legends and fears from various cultures and nations.

Think about it... Catacombs (France/UK), Hades (Greece) even the Coven (Plymouth, MA). They have pushed the movie themes and icons so far that most of us are tired of them. We want new themes that are out of the norm. Digging into the scary histories and myths of the world provides a HUGE playground for the imagination.

Thats my speculation.

Also, I do for a fact know that Universal was contemplating a SOLO house for XX, they even had a concept going but it didn't build up enough momentum to really take hold for XX. We may see one in XXI though.

1) I was one of the people that really DESPISED that house in 07. Crap theming, no scares AT ALL(for me at least), a horrible house. I would give it another chance, but if i were UO, i would put in in the parade building. I think it be the most sucessful in either that or one of the tents. it's small and dark(past 7 at least) and would work very nice for THING, if they dont make another crappy house again.

2) i for one LOVED B&T this year. have they done better, probably. i only see it once evey year, so i dont remember everything after a few months. the new writers might make it the funniest B&T's ever, or the crappiest. time will tell.

3) I would absolutely LOVE catacombs to return. its the second best house ever made at HHN, IMO(besides NOES:DW). they could also bring Sindy back, since she's directly involved with death. Though i would be scared to bring them back in case they make it a crappy sequel(BC), plus they should personify death like they did fear instead of the grim reaper.

Also, I do for a fact know that Universal was contemplating a SOLO house for XX, they even had a concept going but it didn't build up enough momentum to really take hold for XX. We may see one in XXI though.

SOLO house? deatails!!!

As we were told, They are starting with a clean slate this year, as if it is the first year of HHN and it has never existed, Props will always be reused, as for any of the ICONS/Characters including Cindy, I took it as they are gone for many years.

Guest FL Universal Jax

As we were told, They are starting with a clean slate this year, as if it is the first year of HHN and it has never existed, Props will always be reused, as for any of the ICONS/Characters including Cindy, I took it as they are gone for many years.

I too feel like the icons will be put away for several years as well. By attending the VIP sessions and talking to Mike, TJ, Patrick, etc. I too got the feeling that the past icons will be put on hold for awhile. I have no doubt that many of the icons will reapear one day, but probably not this year.

I do feel that The Thing house will reapear. Also, thinking about franchises such as Pshycoscareapy, which was put to bed this past year, I feel that A&D will begin new franchises of which to play off of for future years.

The ever mysterious Emeric Belasco who IS SOMEBODY WHO KNOWS, has broken his silence with an enigmatic quotation from Mark Twain both on his status here and on his Facebook page.

"Pity is for the living. Envy is for the dead."

I think this may be a clue about HHN XXI, perhaps even the catch phrase?

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

Guest FL Universal Jax

The ever mysterious Emeric Belasco who IS SOMEBODY WHO KNOWS, has broken his silence with an enigmatic quotation from Mark Twain both on his status here and on his Facebook page.

"Pity is for the living. Envy is for the dead."

I think this may be a clue about HHN XXI, perhaps even the catch phrase?

Mark Twain quotation. Funny you write that. Could we be looking at a horror nights on the banks of the mighty Mississippi? Perhaps ideas that revolve around bringing to life the evil in classic American literature?

Also, I seem to remember Mike A. writing a Facebook post around the use of the N-Word in some of Twains literature. Could it be that Mike is researching literature from the early days of American society. What if HHN spent a year covering backwood and swamp type themes?

Just a thought.

Mark Twain quotation. Funny you write that. Could we be looking at a horror nights on the banks of the mighty Mississippi? Perhaps ideas that revolve around bringing to life the evil in classic American literature?

Also, I seem to remember Mike A. writing a Facebook post around the use of the N-Word in some of Twains literature. Could it be that Mike is researching literature from the early days of American society. What if HHN spent a year covering backwood and swamp type themes?

Just a thought.

Twain wrote a lot more than just about the pre-war South. The quote in question is from Following the Equator a travelogue book about Twain's own experiences on a world lecture tour he took in 1895. He basically went through the entire British Empire as he wanted to visit countries where English was spoken so he could lecture. He was short on cash at the time and needed the income received for speaking engagements.

The book was an indictment on the Colonial Imperialism of the British and the Racism he saw in their colonies.

Twain books that may be quite interesting in the context of HHN that are quite different from the usual Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn stories most associate him with include A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court a time travel novel with very dark satire, Letters From the Earth written as observations about the human race made by the Archangel Satan to Gabriel and Michael and of course The Mysterious Stranger, Twain's darkest work published posthumously in which Satan becomes the "hero".

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

Emeric has been known for dropping in some hints regarding HHN.

Quotes from Emeric on FB today:

Do the thing you fear, and the death of Fear is certain.

A belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.

Pity is for the living, envy is for the dead.

Why is that fear is capitalized? The personification of Fear, that Universal used?...Maybe. The second quote implies that true evil comes from people themselves. The third quote implies the living are pitied for and we should be jealous for the dead. Interesting quotes if I must say so myself.

Here's my theory:

Dr. Mary Agana specialized in an unorthodox method using, "Immersive Fear" therapies. It is possible that she knows about "Fear" himself and wants to get rid of him by killing him off. Without, "Fear" in the picture, Bloody Mary would reign supreme in spreading fear throughout once again. Mary perceives people as the true source of evil, because of her mortal demise and the demise of her past ancestors. True fear does not pity for the living. The living should be jealous for the dead.

*With that in mind, if Universal really wanted to use Mary again, I'm sure they could make a compromise with the legal rights to use her once again.

Also, I think it would be good to remember that based on his earlier clues last year, ( referring to FDR's speeches or Shakespeare's Julius Caesar for example) it was not the person quoted nor the work from which the quote was taken that was the clue... rather it was the words themselves.

Thus instead of over analyzing Mark Twain I think we should think very carefully about where, when, why and how we might pity the living and envy the dead.

Guest FL Universal Jax

Why is that fear is capitalized? The personification of Fear, that Universal used?...Maybe. The second quote implies that true evil comes from people themselves. The third quote implies the living are pitied for and we should be jealous for the dead. Interesting quotes if I must say so myself.

I really like the last part of that...

In all actuality, what can you do to the dead? You cant kill them or even scare them really, can you? Thus, the living have a ton to loose, well, life in general.

I can see Universal playing of this idea that if you are alive when you come to HHN, then you have something that can be taken away. Is there really any bigger fear than loosing ones life? Perhaps, the only gratification that the dead can have is being able to take from you the only thing that they do not posses.

Also, I think it would be good to remember that based on his earlier clues last year, ( referring to FDR's speeches or Shakespeare's Julius Caesar for example) it was not the person quoted nor the work from which the quote was taken that was the clue... rather it was the words themselves.

Thus instead of over analyzing Mark Twain I think we should think very carefully about where, when, why and how we might pity the living and envy the dead.

I agree completely with you.

So if I am understanding you correctly, you think we could be seeing themes that go along with how the Legendary Truth and Catacombs where portrayed. Meaning, the living screwed themselves over by arousing the dead, and now they will take from you what you have to offer? Of course, that not very specific for a theme, but I like the idea of houses that portray the dead/evil being awaken by the living, then the living being tormented by the dead.

Edited by FL Universal Jax

So if I am understanding you correctly, you think we could be seeing themes that go along with how the Legendary Truth and Catacombs where portrayed. Meaning, the living screwed themselves over by arousing the dead, and now they will take from you what you have to offer? Of course, that not very specific for a theme, but I like the idea of houses that portray the dead/evil being awaken by the living, then the living being tormented by the dead.

To me it seems to imply an Apocalyptic theme.

From the Apocalypse of St. John the Divine Chapter Nine Verse Six: "And in those days men shall seek death, and shall not find it: and they shall desire to die, and death shall fly from them. "

Guest FL Universal Jax

To me it seems to imply an Apocalyptic theme.

From the Apocalypse of St. John the Divine Chapter Nine Verse Six: "And in those days men shall seek death, and shall not find it: and they shall desire to die, and death shall fly from them. "

I see what you are saying. Do you think we will beging to see 2012 fears played upon? While I feel that 12/21/2012 is not based in fact, I do think it has some pretty neat fears that come from it. Could we see Universal play off some of those apocalyptic type ideas? It would definately be a different route from the last few years.