HHN XXI Speculation

Mark M.

Full circle. A new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever.

Possibilities:

-things come "full circle", everything starts to make sense

-there was a circle in the Fear Revealed logo

-"A new terror born", an all new icon

-the icon is a child or baby

-"A new terror born in death", reversed life (Benjamin Button)

-"death", the grim reaper is the icon

-"a new superstition", something we haven't seen before

-"superstition", black cats (Cats N' Combs)

-"unassailable", synonyms: hallowed, holy, inviolable, sacrosanct, sacred, untouchable

-"fortress". Medieval castle

-"forever", HHN will be forever changed

-quote from I Am Legend book, the character from the film looked similar to the Dogs of War

-quote from I Am Legend book, perhaps an apocalypse or zombiegeddon

-quote from an author, story books and fairy tales reappearing

-Richard Matheson was in the military and spent World War II as an infantry soldier

-Matheson's first short story, "Born of Man and Woman," appeared in the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction in 1950. The tale of a monstrous child chained in its parents' cellar, it was told in the first person as the creature's diary

-I Am Legend is about a disease (Catacombs) that turns all but one man into blood-thirsty vampires

-could this one man be the icon, or perhaps vampires are returning

-"Full circle. A new terror born in death. A new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I Am Legend" was the last words spoken of the main character in the book

-I Am Legend, legendary truth

-I Am Legend, the storyteller was Mythos, but mostly referred to as legend at HHN XX

-will the new icon be legendary

-in the end of the film with Will Smith, people are seen entering a safe-haven or "the unassailable fortress of forever", and supposedly stay there forever

*Speculation

Death again, I really hope we get to see a grim reaper,

That would make up for the massive failure that Fear was, If we do get Death or the grim Reaper, I Really do hope they give him a Skull mask, or Skull face and not just a face painted, I would love to see a Skull mask this time

The Grim reaper is played... even if reinvisioned.

Die Ahnfrau, would be awesome though. Like a female grim reaper in German Mythology. She was an adulterous woman in life... Her appearance to a person siginfied their doom. Not actually evil, she was able to forsee the demise of the person, but completely incapable of preventing it.

I would imagine that would drive her crazy... So she could become twisted and enjoy the anguish caused by her appearance to mortals... instead of trying to warn of what she saw of their demise, she would relish the torment it causes... Being able to for see a persons death, she could use it towards evil, even begin to cause unintended death so that she could enjoy it even more.

I picture her being a stoic, ghastly apparition with dead lifeless/infinite eyes. She could be old or young (depending on how you want to spin the original adulterous sin of her life).

I would think though she would feel detached from the human race (like an evil Dr. Manhattan... with clothes)

The translation to Die Ahnfrau is "The Ancestress" or The Beldam which is a synonym of hag, witch, crone, sibyl.

Edited by JWFearman

We got us a new clue! (maybe). The cryptic Mr. Emeric Belasco who provided us with completely accurate clues about HHN XX last year has today posted here and on Facebook the following:

Full circle. A new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever.

This is a quotation from the novel I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. In the book these are the final thoughts of Robert Neville.

What does this signify in relation to HHN XXI? Is the clue in the source material, or is that merely arbitrary and the clue is in the actual words themselves?

Matheson would be a great author to base ideas on; he's not as iconic as King or Rice, but the world has been exposed to his writing for nearly 60 years. I was just reminded last night that not only did he give us I Am Legend and The Haunting of Hell House, but he also wrote Stir of Echos! I'd completely forgotten that!

Mae

Regardless of the meaning, it's a damn great book. Much better than all of the movie adaptations, IMO. Will Smith as Robert Neville . . . PFFTTTTT!

Vincent Price was good, but I have to confess to liking Charlton Heston's version.

You know, I just went to get a refresher on Mr Matheson and was also reminded that he wrote the original concept of The Night Stalker television show. That could be a nifty way to theme the event and it would leave any avenue open for exploration. I think, if done right, Detective Kolchak would make a pretty good icon, too.

Mae

Are these quotations from books? Wonder if it's a sign that the storyteller will be back....

If she does, I guess I know what I'll be doing...again.

Richard Matheson also wrote that episode of the Twilight Zone, Terror at 20,000 Feet; Duel; and Bid Time Return (Somewhere in Time). Check out his Wiki bio-wow, what an impressive career!

Richard Matheson

Edited by kimlovesfl

All of these mentions of death seem to be just a little TOO coincidental. I'd like to think we'll see a new interpretation of an old idea (ala Bloody Mary/Dr Agana) but I have a feeling we'll see a very generalized Grim Reaper type character with little to no backstory. If they did an Agana like backstory that led to the transformation into the Reaper... now that'd be something to see...

This Reaper talk in general reminds me of the HHN event I proposed for a creative competition back on the Vault - the icon was The Grim Reaper, with the backstory of a farmer in a small-minded town avenging the life of his murdered witch of a wife.

Perhaps we should consider the context of the quotation?

Neville is a Vampire Killer and he believes himself to be a great hero valiantly destroying monsters. But unlike Van Helsing, Blade or Buffy he no longer lives on a planet populated by the human race. He is the only human being left on a world of Vampires. The Vampires have formed their own civilization now and live their own lives just as we did, raising their families, just trying to get by.

And in a world of Vampires what is the Last Man on Earth?

He is the One that Vampire mothers tell their children will come and get them if they are not good and brush their fangs before they climb into their coffins for the day. he haunts their worst nightmares, that strange un-pale figure that walks in the horrible sunlight breaking into homes in the middle of the day bringing wooden stakes. When Neville thinks these words which are followed by the thought "I am Legend", that is at the moment of his death when brave vampires have hunted him down and killed him... just as those humans in Dracula hunted down the Count!

It is only then that he realizes that in this world he was the monster, the nightmare, the legend of fear and terror.

Perhaps then this clue is meant as a warning of a reversal of expectations? How those who seek to defeat evil may become monsters themselves? I am reminded of a famous quotation from Nietzsche: "He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee."

Now to follow up on what Mae was saying about other works by Richard Matheson, we should also remember his novel, The Shrinking Man. The film based on the book contained the following scene:

incredibleshrinkingman1.jpg

You know what this means.... BOB will be the Icon at last!!!!!!

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

Vincent Price was good, but I have to confess to liking Charlton Heston's version.

I enjoy the Vincent Price version ("The Last Man on Earth," for those of you who'd like to seek it out), and it's honestly the closest version to the one in my mind's eye. Charlton's version ("The Omega Man") was just a little too 1970's for me. It may have been great in its day, but the soul brother vampires just didn't age well.

And damn, don't get me started on that Will Smith garbage.

Dr. Jimmy, I have nothing to add to your synopsis, except that the vampires never actually killed Robert Neville.

The pills that eventually ended his life were supplied by a sympathetic vampire, however in the end, he died by his own hand.

What an ending!

And, lastly, let us not forget that many people cite "I Am Legend," as the inspiration for Romero's original "Night of the Living Dead." Maybe there's a zombie tie-in after all?

Edited by The Ghastly Green Ghost

I enjoy the Vincent Price version ("The Last Man on Earth," for those of you who'd like to seek it out), and it's honestly the closest version to the one in my mind's eye. Charlton's version ("The Omega Man") was just a little too 1970's for me. It may have been great in its day, but the soul brother vampires just didn't age well.

And damn, don't get me started on that Will Smith garbage.

Dr. Jimmy, I have nothing to add to your synopsis, except that the vampires never actually killed Robert Neville.

The pills that eventually ended his life were supplied by a sympathetic vampire, however in the end, he died by his own hand.

What an ending!

And, lastly, let us not forget that many people cite "I Am Legend," as the inspiration for Romero's original "Night of the Living Dead." Maybe there's a zombie tie-in after all?

It's a brilliant book that never fails to give chills.

I've turned most of my friends onto Matheson over the years. The first of his novels I read was The Legend of Hell House and I still think it would make one killer (Hah!) haunted house. Not Legendary Truth-like, but Hell House-like. I guess you'd have to read the story to know what I mean.

That last bit did cross my mind, as the vampires in I Am Legend were more akin to what we consider zombies nowadays.

Oh, hey, he did that Trilogy of Terror story with the Zuni fetish, too.

But I like Bob the Icon more. :D

Mae

Re:Trilogy of Terror

Hope I'm not too off topic but thought it was a neat story to share....

On our honeymoon we visited Universal Hollywood and there was a museum-type of attratction that had lots of Universal props.

I remember a lot of the Night Gallery paintings being there. The biggest treat was the zuni doll in a glass case. I thought it was

the coolest thing ever and was in horror-geek heaven at the chance to see it. My bride didn't want me to take a picture of it

because "it was evil". I didn't. Not sure if I would comply as easily today :D and I remind her how mean she was to me whenever

the subject comes up.

Edited by keeper

I have tweeted many "clues" as of late myself. Would anyone care to read them?

Well folllow http://twitter.com/#!/Mr_Timeout

And here are some of the clues I have said.

"You will see what isn't there"

"Fear has many faces, but you have only seen one of them"

"Fear can be seen, Fear can be heard, but can Fear be spoken"

"This time were going to go, 7x7"

and finally

"It was his presence that lingered through the air every night, his soul, and he only showed his physical self once, but now he plans to stick around for all of the frights. Expect to feel Fear every Year."

A New Age Of Darkness Begins.....

Edited by Mr.Timeout

Expanding upon my previous speculations about the Matheson quotation and referencing the quote I gave from Nietzsche, is there anybody associated with HHN who "battles monsters" who is in danger of becoming monsters themselves?

Specifically, someone who investigates and uncovers the truth behind ancient and modern legends of FEAR and has inadvertently or perhaps deliberately unleashed such things upon themselves and us?

Well of course there is. This could be a clue that perhaps the lovely Ignatia Himmel and her superior, the enigmatic and elusive Gabriel Fell have been staring a bit too long into the abyss.

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

I don't think a Vampire Icon would be cheesy if done correctly. To me it would make perfect sense to tie in vampires. Between all the movies and TV shows out now that are vampire based it would bring in tons of people and would make a crazy amount of money on merch. After all this is a business. Vampire mania will be running rampant also due to the Twilight movie coming out in November. Just my thoughts as of now

I have tweeted many "clues" as of late myself. Would anyone care to read them?

Well folllow http://twitter.com/#!/Mr_Timeout

and finally

"It was his presence that lingered through the air every night, his soul, and he only showed his physical self once, but now he plans to stick around for all of the frights. Expect to feel Fear every Year."

I would highly advise some decipher on those quotes I put up.

Marcus do you know something? Do you have some secret source? As you have been writing some fan fic about Havoc I thought these were in a similar vein, but perhaps they require further consideration. You said "quotes", are these also from a literary source or are you quoting clues given you by somebody?

One thing that I catch right away seems to refer to the Storyteller, oddly enough. As it was bandied about last year that the five Icons were different expressions of FEAR... the Storyteller was the one that "speaks FEAR". I shall have to go back and look deeper into this and see what I can find out.

7x7? hmmmmm, could this mean that we are to move past the Five who brought FEAR to us and Two Others will now join them?

EDIT - I have found the original quote from A&D I mentioned above which seems to answer one of Marcus' questions:

"Jack instills Fear. The Caretaker examines Fear. The Storyteller speaks Fear. The Director captures Fear. The Usher shows us the way to Fear."

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

Well I do have my sources and I appreciate the attempt to decipher the quotes, you seem to have found something even I didn't see. I'm referring to the part of storyteller speaking FEAR which I didn't think of .So you got me on that one. haha.

Yes I have been doing a audio fan-fic on Havoc and I will have hidden clues within the show, some of which are the ones I just told you.

I use the words quotes loosely but they are my quotes in a sense. When I am given the info I try to make little quotes/riddles. Most of the info I receive is not 100% for sure but are pretty strong none the less.

Edited by Mr.Timeout

I don't think a Vampire Icon would be cheesy if done correctly. To me it would make perfect sense to tie in vampires. Between all the movies and TV shows out now that are vampire based it would bring in tons of people and would make a crazy amount of money on merch. After all this is a business. Vampire mania will be running rampant also due to the Twilight movie coming out in November. Just my thoughts as of now

I somewhat agree on this based on how popular vampires are now a days, BUT vampires are no longer seen as scary anymore. The fear factor behind a vampire has now been destroyed and I don't think an Icon that is not feared at all would look good at an HHN event.

I somewhat agree on this based on how popular vampires are now a days, BUT vampires are no longer seen as scary anymore. The fear factor behind a vampire has now been destroyed and I don't think an Icon that is not feared at all would look good at an HHN event.

Timeout is right; that is, about their immediate image nowadays. I just went to Universal Hollywood today and saw Dracula "terrorizing" some of the guests and having photo ops with them. The first thing that came to my mind when I saw Dracula was Edward Cullen. :( Amazing how Stephanie Myers and the rest of our culture has destroyed the image of vampires.

However, at last year's HHN, the House of Horrors attraction was "redressed" as Vampyre: Castle of the Undead and the actors were really on it! They manage to get me at several corners! The only thing was that the sets were unchanged from the daytime HoH, but the actors really made it. In the end, it's all about the actors, but I don't think a vampire would make a really good icon at all. The GP would be disgusted and think Edward has taken over the event. :P Besides, even if they did have a vampire icon, they may as well have Dracula be the icon.

and finally

Like I did with Emerico's clues, I will list many speculations, whether they're completly out or not. (I plan to do this with most all other sensible and reliable clues.)

-"You will see what isn't there": The icon is a ghost or supernatul spirit

-"You will see what isn't there": Legendary Truth are spirit seekers

-"Fear has many faces, but you have only seen one of them": Until last year, Fear has always been present, but not in human form (until XX). I really don't know what to say about this one.

-"Fear can be seen, Fear can be heard, but can Fear be spoken": The Storyteller?.....

-"This time were going to go, 7x7": 49........ Like Jimmy said, will two new icons be added to the past five. Or mabye the "hidden" two (Cindy & Eddie) will make an aperance? I think it would be neat to have two new icons for one year.

These clues have left me stumpt, for they're a bit one-dimensions. Emerico's hints have a bit more backstory, so therefore I was able to speculate more.

Edited by The Director of Horror

Good try! The reason why they are one dimension is because they are not just theories. I have answers. But for the love of the even I'd rather not just tell you what I know. Even if you did decipher them I wouldn't say if you were right. My goal is for you to take a shot deciphering and for them to burn in your head so when the event rolls around you can immediately go "That is what Timeout was talking about!" lol

Here is a bit more in depth on one of them since it's not THAT much of a big deal, and by the way these answers I refer to are not 100% since were still not very close to HHN so things are subject to change but.....here is the more in depth.

7x7, don't think of it as a math equation it represents 7 BY 7 not 7 times 7 so there is 7 of one things and 7 of another.

2 things total.

what are those things they are 7 of?