HHN XXI Speculation

Mark M.

Am I on to something there Mr.Timeout? As much as I want to see an upcharge house like hos did with alone this year I would really like a super long house.

I really REALLY hope that you are right about the super long house, and not right about the Alone type house :unsure:

I really REALLY hope that you are right about the super long house, and not right about the Alone type house :unsure:

I am leaning that way too. I just don't really like the idea of having to pay more to go through 1 house. Don't get me wrong I would do it for sure I just think my expectations would be so hight that no matter what happened I would feel let down.

Not only that but for FFP holders it would kinda suck to have an "Alone" house, you would go everyday to the park not being able to go to the house, I mean, you could go once but it would kinda suck,

Unless they do something extra for the FFP that if you pay more you can visit the house more than once, I don't know,

A really long house would be really great, even if that means we lose a house, I rather have a really long awesome house than two crappy ones,

I guess I'm probably the only one here who wouldn't really appreciate the one up-charged maze. Though I would think it would be an awesome experience, it would just be financially frustrating. Having to pay $80 to get in, $15 for parking, $40 for a FotL pass equaling approximately $135 just to be assured to do be able to do everything (8 mazes and B & T). Now you'll probably have to pay another $25 or $40 to experience such a maze which would jack the "full experience" price up to $160 or $175! For one night! That's not even including buying a beverage or food! Just my opinion though.

Generally the cost for my event is $60 for a FFP (Florida Resident and Annual Pass discount) and about $20-25 for food and drinks, putting me at a cool $80-85 for going only one night. The cost actually decreases when you factor in the FFP allowing multiple nights for the price of one or less and the fact that with my pass I don't have to pay for parking.

Even with this low cost, I'd probably only do an upcharge house once or twice if they charge an extra $25 or so for it. If they add one, I'd say with 99% certainty that they'd have a special FFP with a higher price for multiple runs through it, much like they had the FFP+ last year. It's too good a deal for them to not take.

As long as the large house isn't as empty as some of the houses this past year, I will be happy. I hate saying this, but I have a HUGE problem with houses and zones that were very underpopulated this year.... Some were great, but others just had nobody.

Last year I bought a FFP+ and only went 3 nights but feel I got my money's worth. The year before I went 2 nights and got an express pass for one night and that ended up costing me more than it did this year to have the express every night and get to go an extra night. There were several houses that did feel empty to me last year every time I went through them. If they do an alone house I better be getting the crap scared out of me in every room multiple times in order for me to feel good about that purchase. I would also want a lot of interaction with the scare actors. If they do a really long house and there are scare actors in every room or at least a cool effect in every room I will be very happy and not having to pay an extra 25 or so dollars will make me even happier. It is a 1,000 dollar trip for me every year when I factor in the flight, hotel, taxi or rental car, tickets to HHN and food/drink. That is with staying in the econo lodge on I drive which isn't exactly a nice hotel. I am not made of money but I make sure I sit aside the money to come down every year. I would rather not have to pay an extra fee to go through an alone style house. Having said that I would pay the extra in a heartbeat. As far as an arrival show I would love to see one and that would only add to the experience.

Edited by AaronPaHHNFan

I am leaning that way too. I just don't really like the idea of having to pay more to go through 1 house. Don't get me wrong I would do it for sure I just think my expectations would be so hight that no matter what happened I would feel let down.

That's exactly how I felt about Alone.

I just want an Arrival type show.... They are entertaining and I enjoy them. But it wont happen

Definitely agree with that!!!!!

So, playing the Devil's advocate here, where would they put this "super long" house? Would it be long enough to justify two sprung tents, or would it take up a much larger chunk of one of the soundstages than single houses typically occupy? If you were to take up a much larger portion of a soundstage, would that impact the number of other houses that you could fit into the remaining soundstage space(s)? You obviously couldn't fit a much larger house in the Disaster queue, but what about the Parade storage building? Unless you start talking about vertical construction, which, yes, has been done in the past on a relatively small scale, it seems like it's tough to find somewhere to put a drastically larger house.

Other "super long" questions to ponder: are there issues with Guest capacity? While you may be feeding the same number of Guests into the house that a "typical" maze may take, are there issues with the placement of your exits? Is the fire marshall going to allow you to have that many additional Guests in a maze at one particular time? Does a longer maze compound issues with evacuation to the point where it becomes infeasible?

With the current number and placement of houses, there are established and ordinarily-adequate amounts of queue space. What about word-of-mouth for a "super long" house and the additional queue line necessitated by extra Guest anticipation?

What about staffing? If you double the length of your house, you are most likely going to double the number of required scareactors. It would seem that there are already complaints about the number of scareactors in some of these houses. Is there enough available seasonal workforce to supply the appropriate number of bodies for x additional roles, and is there enough room in the budget to account for this additional headcount?

We've read a lot of speculation recently on the number/makeup of the house count this year. I don't have any insider information, but I've got my own common sense and it tells me this:

Universal will never, EVER reduce the number of available-to-all houses. They won't convert House #8 into a separate ticketed house, leaving the General Public with only 7. Attendance and crowding are already issues and this simply compounds it. I also believe this negates the idea of having only 7 houses, even if one is a "super long" house. Universal seems fond of marketing every year's event as "the biggest year ever," and you lose that by reducing house count. The Marketing Department won't let them do that, for that reason alone. And, before someone says that it's not Marketing's call to make, let's all think back to previous years and the decision-making clout that Marketing holds.

Now, I'm not saying that Universal WILL NOT do a "super long" house or an extreme house. I'm just saying that, if they do, it will be a mystical, magical 9th house.

So, playing the Devil's advocate here, where would they put this "super long" house? Would it be long enough to justify two sprung tents, or would it take up a much larger chunk of one of the soundstages than single houses typically occupy? If you were to take up a much larger portion of a soundstage, would that impact the number of other houses that you could fit into the remaining soundstage space(s)? You obviously couldn't fit a much larger house in the Disaster queue, but what about the Parade storage building? Unless you start talking about vertical construction, which, yes, has been done in the past on a relatively small scale, it seems like it's tough to find somewhere to put a drastically larger house.

Other "super long" questions to ponder: are there issues with Guest capacity? While you may be feeding the same number of Guests into the house that a "typical" maze may take, are there issues with the placement of your exits? Is the fire marshall going to allow you to have that many additional Guests in a maze at one particular time? Does a longer maze compound issues with evacuation to the point where it becomes infeasible?

With the current number and placement of houses, there are established and ordinarily-adequate amounts of queue space. What about word-of-mouth for a "super long" house and the additional queue line necessitated by extra Guest anticipation?

What about staffing? If you double the length of your house, you are most likely going to double the number of required scareactors. It would seem that there are already complaints about the number of scareactors in some of these houses. Is there enough available seasonal workforce to supply the appropriate number of bodies for x additional roles, and is there enough room in the budget to account for this additional headcount?

We've read a lot of speculation recently on the number/makeup of the house count this year. I don't have any insider information, but I've got my own common sense and it tells me this:

Universal will never, EVER reduce the number of available-to-all houses. They won't convert House #8 into a separate ticketed house, leaving the General Public with only 7. Attendance and crowding are already issues and this simply compounds it. I also believe this negates the idea of having only 7 houses, even if one is a "super long" house. Universal seems fond of marketing every year's event as "the biggest year ever," and you lose that by reducing house count. The Marketing Department won't let them do that, for that reason alone. And, before someone says that it's not Marketing's call to make, let's all think back to previous years and the decision-making clout that Marketing holds.

Now, I'm not saying that Universal WILL NOT do a "super long" house or an extreme house. I'm just saying that, if they do, it will be a mystical, magical 9th house.

IF they did a super-long house, my best guess is they would utilize Soundstage 23 which has housed 2 houses for the past few years. They could still have 8 houses by using one of the other soundstages.

I'm sure its been said but HOS which is a great event really did surprise people with the fact that they did the Extreme House idea. Not only that but it was a secret until like the month before HOS opened, ok I may have just made that up, but regardless Universal didn't tap into the extreme house idea and the competition did. Now Universal merged the idea of a V.I.P lounge but failed to produce anything close to the extreme house concept that HOS actually did. I think this puts Universal in a situation where to meet with the idea of constantly evolving haunted house ideas and concepts to be the number one haunted event they will probably have to evolve to give what the market wants. I'm sure they read what people wrote in those surveys and I'm sure that a majority said that they went to HOS just for the extreme house.

Of course this is all speculation and I'm probably 100% wrong and I want everyone to know that I just had a moment of clarity so I'll wrap up this post by posting an unrelated picture.

translateservererror.jpg

Universal will never, EVER reduce the number of available-to-all houses.

TJ said as much last year at Hauntcon... 8 houses 6 sz... He repeated it over and over...

But I wouldn't say "never" to anything. Business models/needs change all the time. A long house/extreme house could easily be put in any one of the soundstages anywhere between Uni and IOA. They've done it in the past... (granted you can't use the Nick building anymore). I think it all will boil down to supply and demand... If there is a big enough demand for it (and BG keeps gaining due to it) it will happen. I doubt it will be this year but.. who knows?

TJ said as much last year at Hauntcon... 8 houses 6 sz... He repeated it over and over...

But I wouldn't say "never" to anything. Business models/needs change all the time. A long house/extreme house could easily be put in any one of the soundstages anywhere between Uni and IOA. They've done it in the past... (granted you can't use the Nick building anymore). I think it all will boil down to supply and demand... If there is a big enough demand for it (and BG keeps gaining due to it) it will happen. I doubt it will be this year but.. who knows?

I know that is what was said but I would still like to see another scarezone to take up some space in the dead zone's. Either another one or expand them all. If uni does an extreme house this year wouldn't the general public look at it as a rip off of HOS? I wouldn't and I'm sure everyone on this forum wouldn't but it could be the perception of the gp.

I know that is what was said but I would still like to see another scarezone to take up some space in the dead zone's. Either another one or expand them all. If uni does an extreme house this year wouldn't the general public look at it as a rip off of HOS? I wouldn't and I'm sure everyone on this forum wouldn't but it could be the perception of the gp.

IF they do an extreme house it will NOT be a rip-off of HOS simply because it was an idea Universal came up with FIRST, although as yet unrealized at HHN. This is not only very well known amongst us obsessed fanatics but also has been widely reported to the General Public in mainstream media as early as 2003.

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

Actually, as I understand it, A&D are this month only beginning to present their ideas for HHN XXI to corporate for approval. Thus any and all plans they may currently have are merely tentative.

So, as fascinating as speculating may be, I'm afraid that any and all rumors thus far must be at best a little premature... but don't worry I'm sure real info will be coming quickly!

Of course we see something from 2003 and remember it but the gp has such a short attention span that I doubt they would remember that there was supposed to be one back then. Maybe I am just not giving them enough credit though. Either way if they do it I hope they do it right and that it don't cost an arm and a leg to get into it.

Beggin' yer pardon, Dr, but 'extreme' houses have been urban legends all over the country for decades; Universal did not come up with the idea.

Also, Universal has proven over the last few years that crowds are not a concern and will do what they think will net the most cash. If they find a way to make more money by charging for an individual house, they'll go for it.

Mae

Edited by Mae