HHN XXI Speculation

Mark M.

I see what you are saying. Do you think we will beging to see 2012 fears played upon? While I feel that 12/21/2012 is not based in fact, I do think it has some pretty neat fears that come from it. Could we see Universal play off some of those apocalyptic type ideas? It would definately be a different route from the last few years.

They've done an apocalyptic doomsday house before in 1999, based around the fears of 2000 (Y2K). It's possible history might repeat itself with another doomsday-ish themed house again, but with the year 2012, of course.

They've done an apocalyptic doomsday house before in 1999, based around the fears of 2000 (Y2K). It's possible history might repeat itself with another doomsday-ish themed house again, but with the year 2012, of course.

Really???

they did a doomsday house for 99??

what was that like? what did it have? yeah even if you don't believe in it or anything, 2012 is still in everyone's minds, whether something happens or nothing happens, just the fact that is been talked about so much, shows that it really is in our minds, It would be really cool to see a doomsday scenario,

also, I don't know but, I think a house based on the Mayan tribe and the end would be cool, yeah it could be cheesy but, if they do a house about human sacrifice and death, as well as have people dressed in weird costumes they wore back then, that would be a cool house

Really???

they did a doomsday house for 99??

what was that like? what did it have? yeah even if you don't believe in it or anything, 2012 is still in everyone's minds, whether something happens or nothing happens, just the fact that is been talked about so much, shows that it really is in our minds, It would be really cool to see a doomsday scenario,

also, I don't know but, I think a house based on the Mayan tribe and the end would be cool, yeah it could be cheesy but, if they do a house about human sacrifice and death, as well as have people dressed in weird costumes they wore back then, that would be a cool house

It was odd. there was a school/black mass scene. A subway scene.... but honestly I don't remember anything else about it.

Twain wrote a lot more than just about the pre-war South. The quote in question is from Following the Equator a travelogue book about Twain's own experiences on a world lecture tour he took in 1895. He basically went through the entire British Empire as he wanted to visit countries where English was spoken so he could lecture. He was short on cash at the time and needed the income received for speaking engagements.

The book was an indictment on the Colonial Imperialism of the British and the Racism he saw in their colonies.

Twain books that may be quite interesting in the context of HHN that are quite different from the usual Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn stories most associate him with include A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court a time travel novel with very dark satire, Letters From the Earth written as observations about the human race made by the Archangel Satan to Gabriel and Michael and of course The Mysterious Stranger, Twain's darkest work published posthumously in which Satan becomes the "hero".

I never once thought of Mysterious Stranger as a haunted event. That is sheer brilliance, especially if you can team it up with some of the observations in Letters from Earth. Good God, man, you've struck gold!

I think that the Connecticut Yankee would lend itself to an Army of Darkness feel. I'm not sure if that would work for a full event, but certainly for a Medieval themed house. Perhaps the Blood Ruins with more meat, so to speak.

Food for thought.

Mae

Also, I seem to remember Mike A. writing a Facebook post around the use of the N-Word in some of Twains literature.

I remember reading something about it too, but I think this was because all of the new editions of Huck Finn are edited; They cut out the word "nigger" and replaced it with "slave." They also cut out the word "injun."

Censorship at its finest.

Personally, I find this absolutely ridiculous. It's like these people are trying to rewrite history, like the word was never used by slave owners.

Edited by armyofrobots

maybe we shouldnt throw out a return of some icons universal isnt stupid they know that they have made them millions so what they probably doing is putting them away just to make a year where the past will return darker and more psyco then ever

True, and I will never, ever NOT love Jack. Mary could come back anytime, too. Perhaps she wasn't the 'Most Horrifying of Icons!' but she was the catalyst for what has become my favorite year.

Mae

Guest FL Universal Jax

Ok, so I was thinking about a few things in relation to this year (2011).

I know that some of us feel like "The Thing" remake, being done by Universal, will be developed into a house this year. While, we don’t know for sure, we can use some pretty simple deductive reasoning to come to that conclusion. Now, that doesn’t mean that its entirely correct, but for the sake of the argument let’s say it is.

Just say, for example, that a big house this year is called "The Thing." What themes could be developed utilizing the Universal remake? Other than the obvious answers such as "Movie Year," what else could result from a house like "The Thing?"

I have been brainstorming allot of ideas, but none of them seem to truly click off the top of my head. What say you?

I, for one, wouldn't be that sad to not see a Catacombs return (I know...I am one of the few). I don't think it was a horrible house, but I also didn't really find it scary. I just don't know what they could really do with the idea of it....

I also think that PS needs to be put to rest, along with Jack the clown. I loved that they had the PsychoScareapy franchise....but I think they need to leave it in its ghostly form. I don't find clowns creepy, so the fact that Jack was used so much kinda made me like him less and didn't ever make me scared of him.

It's hard to extrapolate an entire event's theme on the suspicion that they'll include a house based on one particular property. Other years have included movie houses, yet the event wasn't entirely movie themed. Specifically, I'm thinking about the Carnival of Carnage year and the 'Dead Silence' house (one of my favorites, by the way).

Begin completely unrelated soapbox rant:

Since the advent of the HHN Icons, it seems easy for speculation to fall into the rut of "think of a profession and make up an Icon using it." We've had a caretaker, a movie director, a theater usher, a psychologist, a storyteller, a sideshow clown. There have been people proposing Icons who were horror dentists, other doctors, etc. etc. In a lot of ways, this line of creation leads to Howl-O-Screamification of the event. Oooh, this year it's a scary fashion show! Oh boy, now we've got a scary rock concert! Whoa, a scary nightclub DJ!

Halloween Horror Nights seems to thrive best when the characters are rich and three-dimensional, with complete backstories. Bloody Mary's year was one of my favorites, as we got to experience her transformation from doctor to specter. She had motivation that we could associate with, not just "here's a creepy looking character that happens to kill people." Jack the Clown may have started as a simple "scary clown," but his personality has really evolved and emerged over the years. Personally, I think that's why some of us may look at the Storyteller and Fear as unsuccessful Icons: they weren't given much of a personality, so they became cardboard cutouts instead of real characters.

Whatever this year's theme may be, and whoever the figurehead of the event is, I hope he/she/it features a fully-written background and personality.

End soapbox rant.

Hey hey hey, watch what you say about me! jk, The Storyteller really doesn't have an extensive backstory, and I should know.

Remember that Universal is, first and foremost, a MOVIE STUDIO, who made a name for themselves in the 30s, 40s, and 50s, and even earlier, in making iconic HORROR movies, so I think it's a given that we will continue to have movie-themed houses from time to time. I'm fine with that, because I think some of the best houses ever done have been movie-themed (The Thing, Dead Silence).

I also don't think we will see the old icons again for a very long time, if ever. As I've noted before, the audio in Fear Revealed said as much. Time for fresh blood, so to speak. You all had your chance to see your icons for the last time, and I am ready for new ideas.

Beyond that, I'll say, there will be scarezones, houses, alcohol, Bill and Ted, and at least one other show TBD. Just like always.

I agree, some of the best houses have been Movie houses, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on elm street, texas chainsaw masaccre, The Thing, Silver Screams,

also Getting to see famous movie characters or Icons is always a huge plus for me, like Wolfman, Saw, Chucky, dead silence, I've said it before, movie houses to me are really awesome because is like you go inside the movie, I don't know why people hate them, I like original houses but houses based on good movies, to me are really good.

I Do agree that houses based on really bad movies are the problem, not the houses themselves. yeah I agree, who wants to see a house based on a really Crappy movie? like C.H.U.D or Doomsday, Cirque du freak, yeah those Sucked, I mean the movies, but if they do houses based on famous movies or good horror movies, they are really great,

I agree, some of the best houses have been Movie houses, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on elm street, texas chainsaw masaccre, The Thing, Silver Screams,

also Getting to see famous movie characters or Icons is always a huge plus for me, like Wolfman, Saw, Chucky, dead silence, I've said it before, movie houses to me are really awesome because is like you go inside the movie, I don't know why people hate them, I like original houses but houses based on good movies, to me are really good.

I Do agree that houses based on really bad movies are the problem, not the houses themselves. yeah I agree, who wants to see a house based on a really Crappy movie? like C.H.U.D or Doomsday, Cirque du freak, yeah those Sucked, I mean the movies, but if they do houses based on famous movies or good horror movies, they are really great,

Couldn't agree more. All Nite DrIvE In was a movie based house back in 03 and is still one of my all time favorites...:)

Couldn't agree more. All Nite DrIvE In was a movie based house back in 03 and is still one of my all time favorites...:)

I couldn't see that one but I really wish I did,

I just don't get the hate for movie houses, I do get the hate for bad movies houses,

but when the houses are done from a good movie, they have something that original houses don't, which is that you can go back and visit them by watching the movie, and anytime you see the movie, You get that feeling of "I've been there" as well, whenever I watch Texas chainsaw or the thing I get that weird feeling.

Also movie houses also have something that original houses don't have and that is famous characters, which again gives you the same feeling, is like meeting the character in real life. but maybe that's just me

a bad house will be bad whether is a movie house or not,

Edited by black7mask

Even still wheather it's a bad movie like you mentioned earlier i.e. C.H.U.D, Doomsday, Cirque Du Freak, Uni can always make the houses based on them great. They always know the exact words to use to describe the house on the HHN website as well as working it into the over all theme of that years HHN event. Also what really will give a bad movie based house life will be the scareactors. A quote from the Universal's Halloween Horror Nights Art of the Scare DVD...What will make this house is the soul that you will give it...B)

I'll admit that some of the movie houses in the past were a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dead Silence houses. To generalize all movie houses as either "good" or "bad" is foolish. Here's my opinion: unless they're done in a truly exceptional way, IP (intellectual property) themed houses often end up resembling a walk-through exhibit more than a haunted maze. The sentiment becomes less "I feel immersed in this environment" and more "Look how faithfully they recreated that movie set!"

That being said, my favorite houses are usually the more-or-less original concept houses. I say "more-or-less" because it seems that nothing is ever truly 100% original anymore. I'll always remember Ghost Town, Hellgate Prison, Interstellar Terror, Creatures!, Leave it to Cleaver and Psychoscareapy: HFTH, Demon Cantina and others. They may have drawn inspiration from movies (especially Demon Cantina), television and other media, but they were given an original twist by the HHN creatives. They weren't scene-for-scene recreations of things you've seen before, they were new and exciting experiences. There may have been familiarity (i.e. Cleaver's Meety Meetz and Bob's Big Boy), but it was never blatantly "hey, remember this? It looks just like the movie!"

In an event like Halloween Horror Nights, the ideal house mix seems to include both original and IP houses. After all, it's the IP houses that are the most marketable, as well as the most easily described through word-of-mouth.

I predict:

A dark comedy house in Earthquake queue

A house we really want to be good in the Jaws queue

2 houses in the tents that people will be split right down the middle on love and hate

The parade building, a crowd pleaser and generally accepted as favorite

Soundstages, a peppering of original and possible IPs... Largest scale.

Drunks and idiots will increase as the event moves on...

Likewise house ops and security will clamp down and become more aggressive and short-tempered in direct proportion.

When the site teaser comes out: People will postulate ridiculous theories ad nauseum and scrutinize minutiae. Some people will swear they see things in the teaser (many will claim it is proof of a Jack and Chance wedding or that Eddie will be the ICON)

... Then a fight will break out in regards to whether we will actually SEE an icon or a marketing device and the subtle differences thereof.

The same questions and speculations will keep coming up over and over and people will get mad and call them noobs... Mods will delete said posts.

Small updates will come out over the course of a few months and everyone will get excited... well except for a handful who will say everything is stupid and wish they would go back to a style like year X (fill in where appropriate). When the big reveal actually happens those same people will be disappointed. Others will be impressed... still others will feel let down (most likely due to the comments of the first group)

Various contraband pictures and tidbits will start showing up. Some will get posted and summarily deleted. Hopefully the intel continues to flow my way. :) all the while a debate about the pics and intel will start.

Street construction will start out conservative... and then people will blame night of Joy and make disparaging comments in regards to the event and Christians in general. Some will be offended and either swear off the forum (only to return as a lurker days later) or retort thus causing another fight that will be summarily deleted.

Ultimately some will be disappointed with the event saying it isn't scary enough and it needs more blood... which will spawn a debate about gore vs scare, several will complain about everything and never be happy (yet still come back), Others will be completely happy with the event.

At some point the following debates will pop up:

Smokers in non-smoking areas

Ops and whether their doing a good job or not

Pulsing vs congo line

Scare actors releasing their positions/character

Photo Ops in Scare zones

The good 'ole days

... I'm sure I left out a few.

Last year was my first year on this board, so I've done all my arguing about alcohol, smoking, gore, etc.

Unless someone says something outrageously stupid, I don't think I'll bother getting involved in the inevitable debates again.

Last year was my first year on this board, so I've done all my arguing about alcohol, smoking, gore, etc.

Unless someone says something outrageously stupid, I don't think I'll bother getting involved in the inevitable debates again.

Agreed but for one last time I will say alcohol and smoking is not the problem. The problems are the ignorant people who smoke in line and non smoking areas. The idiots who can't handle their alcohol and the drunk idiots who smoke in line. As for gore the more the better this is supposed to be a scary event and not for children so bring on the buckets of blood, severed limbs and whatever else they can think of.

Agreed but for one last time I will say alcohol and smoking is not the problem. The problems are the ignorant people who smoke in line and non smoking areas. The idiots who can't handle their alcohol and the drunk idiots who smoke in line. As for gore the more the better this is supposed to be a scary event and not for children so bring on the buckets of blood, severed limbs and whatever else they can think of.

I will second that...B)

it feels like it's been an eternity since i've posted on here let alone looked at the site lol I agree with J.W. more of the same thing that happens every year will happen and it will be that way till the forum is closed and then it will just migrate to another site in the future lol. What I can say is BRING ON THE BLOOD UNI!!!! we need more gore and more gross out factor :D Because while i may get startled every now and then mostly i just laugh at the smal females infront of me that scream or the kids that cry. Dont bring them >.> :D As for speculations sake Idk about all this death i mean technically death is at every event it's a very broad assumption >.> I vote we just wait alittle while longer and see what some random person claims :)Thnx all :P